Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what morality is or isn't just that it exists. I can't imagine a world without it because as long as we have language and culture we have morality. Morality=culture, even when the culture in question is highly immoral somehow. And that is called a paradox my friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I don't see how a true moral relativist can condone putting anyone in prison, or even in establishing any laws whatsoever.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also culture and morality define themselves so to ask to define them precisely is to revert to tautologies. "What is culture?" "What that group of people have between them" "what do those people have between them?" "Culture"

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

The Dennis System posted:

I don't see how a true moral relativist can condone putting anyone in prison, or even in establishing any laws whatsoever.

moral relativism is inherently illogical. this is obvious to literally anyone who even slightly examines the issue, but it is a popular bullshit fiction everyone supports in public because it helps us get along despite our radically divergent ideologies.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Are you a moral relativist? Do you believe in moral relativism? I personally am not. I believe that there are universal moral values. I believe we can discover the best moral values through reason. I also believe, personally, in religion. I do not believe in any particular religion, but I just believe it's all real. I believe moral relativism is extremely bad and that people shouldn't just be able to do whatever they want with no consequences. But I open this up to you. What do you think?

'Universal Moral Values' sounds like a cop out to avoid admitting arbitrary imposition of will

I'm not a philosopher but what would you base that poo poo on anyways?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
a moral relativist is someone who thinks it is more important that we all get along than that the truth be upheld.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Accretionist posted:

'Universal Moral Values' sounds like a cop out to avoid admitting arbitrary imposition of will

I'm not a philosopher but what would you base that poo poo on anyways?
I think you're onto something with 'imposition of will,' but I don't think it's arbitrary.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
is there a term for "I often think the universe is purposefully loving with me"

if so that's me

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

I think you're onto something with 'imposition of will,' but I don't think it's arbitrary.

you don't have to impose your will on anyone. literally all you have to do is hold to the truth.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

godstalking

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

oval office raja posted:

is there a term for "I often think the universe is purposefully loving with me"

if so that's me
You've done something to make it angry. Align yourself with the wave of history. Get religious.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Kyrie eleison posted:

moral relativism is inherently illogical. this is obvious to literally anyone who even slightly examines the issue, but it is a popular bullshit fiction everyone supports in public because it helps us get along despite our radically divergent ideologies.

But if some culture is doing something hosed up, performing female genital mutilation for example, then we can't just agree to disagree and leave it at that, we have to stop them from doing that stuff.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
music for this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0QH4K7JXpI

But if some culture is doing something hosed up, performing female genital mutilation for example, then we can't just agree to disagree and leave it at that, we have to stop them from doing that stuff.

you are right, it has to be stopped.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
OP you should read the Abolition of Man by C.S.Lewis. it's something like a 50 page essay in three parts, first part is just him bitching about the moral relativists of his era corrupting the youth, second part he lays out a pretty solid argument for Natural Law, third part he cross references several religions to see what *everyone* agrees on.

It made me think.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Where's it come from? And whatever you point to, why can't someone else point to something else at from the same level?

What if I view man's highest form as an individual able to predominate over others? Contrastingly, what if I view man's highest form as a cell of a body able to drive higher level dynamics? Not a slime mold of hierarchical individualists but a living body of egalitarian communitarians? There'd be radically differing universal bases for the radically differing universal moralities.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

monkey posted:

OP you should read the Abolition of Man by C.S.Lewis. it's something like a 50 page essay in three parts, first part is just him bitching about the moral relativists of his era corrupting the youth, second part he lays out a pretty solid argument for Natural Law, third part he cross references several religions to see what *everyone* agrees on.

It made me think.
Thanks for the recommendation. I've been meaning to check out C.S. Lewis for a while now. I'm listening to that Tortoise song posted above and it's getting me in the mindset to talk about God.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Where's it come from? And whatever you point to, why can't someone else point to something else at from the same level?

What if I view man's highest form as an individual able to predominate over others? Contrastingly, what if I view man's highest form as a cell of a body able to drive higher level dynamics? Not a slime mold of hierarchical individualists but a living body of egalitarian communitarians? There'd be radically differing universal bases for the radically differing universal moralities.
Variations in the universal moral code emerge from self-interest.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been meaning to check out C.S. Lewis for a while now. I'm listening to that Tortoise song posted above and it's getting me in the mindset to talk about God.

C.S. Lewis is great, he is very easy-going and reasonable about everything, and funny too

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I'm assuming a universal moral code requires a fixed point somewhere. Are you? I've been assuming you are.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Accretionist posted:

I'm assuming a universal moral code requires a fixed point somewhere. Are you? I've been assuming you are.
The fixed point is the golden rule.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

C.S. Lewis made the dumbest argument for Christianity being true that I've ever heard. His argument was basically that Jesus claimed to be God, and since Jesus didn't seem to be insane, he must actually be God.

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm a divine command theorist, but I don't believe God ever made any commands.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

The fixed point is the golden rule.

By the logic of the golden rule, if I want a hot woman to grab my crotch then it's okay for me to go ahead and grab her crotch. The golden rule doesn't work.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Tribal societies are pretty much what we looked like pre-Christ, indulging revenge. Christ taught us that revenge was actually not the moral thing. The Icelanders didn't know about Christ and that's why their society was so big on revenge. In primitive societies, revenge is justice, but Christ showed us that this isn't so. Christ was just a messenger. Buddha was another messenger. The Romans knew the saying "Don't shoot the messenger," but back then it referred to arrows, not bullets. That's how they got away with crucifying Christ, through a loophole. It didn't say anything about crucifying the messenger.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

By the logic of the golden rule, if I want a hot woman to grab my crotch then it's okay for me to go ahead and grab her crotch. The golden rule doesn't work.
You're not a hot woman.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

C.S. Lewis made the dumbest argument for Christianity being true that I've ever heard. His argument was basically that Jesus claimed to be God, and since Jesus didn't seem to be insane, he must actually be God.

Lots of people criticize him on these grounds but his argument is right. If Jesus claimed to be God but was not he must've been insane. But he wasn't.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDYAqz603TE

Tribal societies are pretty much what we looked like pre-Christ, indulging revenge. Christ taught us that revenge was actually not the moral thing. The Icelanders didn't know about Christ and that's why their society was so big on revenge. In primitive societies, revenge is justice, but Christ showed us that this isn't so. Christ was just a messenger. Buddha was another messenger. The Romans knew the saying "Don't shoot the messenger," but back then it referred to arrows, not bullets. That's how they got away with crucifying Christ, through a loophole. It didn't say anything about crucifying the messenger.

drat.

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Liar, lord, or loon is a false trilemma. It's not even an argument that's really about the argument itself. It's meant to be used as a social bludgeon against anyone who would question the divinity of Jesus.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Tautologicus posted:

I don't know what morality is or isn't just that it exists. I can't imagine a world without it because as long as we have language and culture we have morality. Morality=culture, even when the culture in question is highly immoral somehow. And that is called a paradox my friends
There is a universal morality whose fixed point is the golden rule that Christ taught us. False morality emerges when people form groups and follow ideologies. These false moralities are not universal but are all about preserving the group. Whatever preserves the group is right. Being part of a group can be so intoxicating that people often will do anything to remain part of one and to preserve the group's integrity.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Everyone knows that the true moral codes are held in a vase guarded by the mythical beast Xkkggrxflrs

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Would Jesus pull a lever that pushes a fat man into the path of a trolley that saves the idea of a universal morality?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
Luke 6:31.

Goodnight and good thread.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

the trilemma isn't an argument for christianity being true and he didn't mean it to be. he meant it as an argument against people making wishy washy statements like "I don't believe Jesus was god but I think he was a great moral teacher". the point was that (in Lewis's view) a man who said the things Jesus said without being God would have to be crazy or lying, and therefore it doesn't make sense to praise him as a teacher while simultaneously denying his divinity

Torka fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 20, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I didn't go beyond philosophy 101 back in college, and that was some time ago, so I really don't know the tautological terms any more. That doesn't make me a deep thinker though. That said, I have no idea if I am a moral relativist or not.

I do believe the universe has a natural order to it, whether divinely orchestrated, or by coincidence, or what. I also am not presumptuous enough to assume I'm significant enough to be able to grasp that order in any recognizable way. That said, we do exist within the universe as part of it, so it behooves us to try to follow some sort of natural order.

Unfortunately, the trouble lies in that paradox where we're too small to see how we should behave in light of everything else to existence, yet we are left without explicit guidelines, floating aimlessly along our course. And because of that, we lose sight of what things are definitely "good", and which are not. That's how we get lawmakers pushing for homophobic legislation, or have kids who try a small amount of marijuana for the first time treated as dangerous as criminal kingpins with heroin empires. I mean, there's several basic rules we all know in our hearts to follow if we want to be good: Don't hurt or kill each other, don't take things that would be missed without permission, etc etc; and we do our best to follow these tenants, but we also allow ourselves to get wrapped up in all these weird rules and ideas that really don't have a black and white, easy to follow direction.

And frankly, this even goes beyond to the big ones when we have the wiggle room. I mean, it's okay for a soldier to kill, for instance. Or gray logic for stealing has always been around. Like the old chestnut of the thief that takes bread so his family will eat. Which then makes me think about things like media piracy, which is vastly widespread, to the point of grandmothers doing it regularly, and small children. Realistically, I understand just how little this sort of thing effects bread getting to mouths in this day and age, yet it's still stealing, which we all know is wrong, yet so many of us do. Where's the justification in this gray zone?

Recently for a lark I took an internet quiz to determine my RPG style alignment, and I ended up with "Chaotic Evil" without expecting it, as I have this strong overarching faith that there is order to the universe and all things, yet maybe the fact that I so easily slip into these gray areas without much hesitation explains my results. Like I said, I don't know the terminology anymore, so you'll have to excuse me if I'm going over familiar territory.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

was jesus even real? i'm just asking quiestions here

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
Just as long as you're not Morally Inept

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Yeah.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

I believe there's a very strong argument that he was.

However, the argument that he was an apocryphal creation are just as strong.

Unfortunately, any concrete proof either way is now nearly 2 millennia gone from us. So we'll never have a definite answer. That said, a very strong set of moral codes was built around the belief that he did exist, one that is in the top 5 of the world, and mostly has good things to say. I think that in and of itself is something worth humoring at least a little.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Torka posted:

the trilemma isn't an argument for christianity being true and he didn't mean it to be. he meant it as an argument against people making wishy washy statements like "I don't believe Jesus was god but I think he was a great moral teacher". the point was that (in Lewis's view) a man who said the things Jesus said without being God would have to be crazy or lying, and therefore it doesn't make sense to praise him as a teacher while simultaneously denying his divinity

That makes a lot more sense. If that's true then I retract my statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I think it's wrong to call the first part of the Bible the Old Testament and the second part the New Testament. I personally believe the first part should be made a part of the New Testament and we should just call the whole thing the Testament. Tear down the wall à la 1989.

• Locked thread