Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

No. Not yet.

(Has anyone got that old "Donna does 'on the internet' with the words" gif that I always used to put here?)

So we're waiting until 25 December 2014 on BBC One for the next Christmas special, starring Peter Capaldi as Doctor Who, Jenna Coleman as Clara and Nick Frost as, er, well, let's leave that an open question for the moment. No word yet on what happens after that. What we do know is that Father Christmas just totally walked into the TARDIS, guys!!!!!

I expect there are probably quite a few people out there wondering what the answer to the question "I want to get into this show, where's a good place to start?" is. Glad you asked! The first thing to do is to remember this.

The only things you need to know to appreciate the vast majority of Doctor Who stories is that the Doctor is an alien with a time machine whose idea of fun is having adventures in time and space, and he almost always brings one or more usually-human companions to enjoy the adventures with him. The rest'll come out in the wash.

Now, the actual answer to your question comes in two parts:

1). If you want to get into NewWho (that is, Doctor Who post-2005), I recommend starting with Deep Breath, the feature-length story that introduces the current Doctor, and 12 episodes later you'll be all caught up with us. If you want to carry on, you have two options. You could settle in for the long haul and go all the way back to Rose, the first episode of NewWho. (Which next year will be ten years ago. Don't all feel old at once, chaps.) Or you could go to The Eleventh Hour, the first episode under the guidance of the current showrunner.

2). If you want to get into Classic Who (Doctor Who from its beginning in 1963 to its non-cancellation cancellation in 1989 and that thing in 1996), for God's sake don't ask us because we'll all give you completely different answers and then have a slapfight about them, in accordance with the First Law of Doctor Who Fans: "No substantive discussion group will be able to entirely agree on the merits (or otherwise) of any given story, not even the "except X, that just sucked/rocked" corollary to this law." An excellent example of this is the four segments of a story known as "The Trial of a Time Lord". We generally agree that one of them is a misunderstood classic, one is enjoyable piffle, and the other two are hopeless, embarrassing failures that we should never speak of again. Unfortunately, what we can't ever agree on is which segments go in which category...

Be aware, the classic show is from more than one bygone eras of television production. I won't say the style's dated - it's just different to what you may be used to, and I'm not referring to things like the props, costumes or 'special' effects when I say "style". Something that may be useful to bear in mind is that five years before Doctor Who started, standard practice in British TV was that all programmes, including drama, were transmitted live, like a stage play. Broadcasters recording things to show later was still a slightly new and radical concept when Doctor Who began. Watch no more than one 25-minute episode (shut up, DoctorWhat) per day and that'll help a lot.

Ignoring all those caveats for a moment, some choices that don't cause arguments too often are:

Hartnell: The Beginning, The Aztecs
Troughton: The Tomb of the Cybermen
Pertwee: Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters
Baker T: The Robots of Death (pick this one)
Davison: Frontios
Baker C: Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks
McCoy: Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks

Note that these are not necessarily selected because they're the best; more that I think they're the most representative of their time (regeneration stories and the occasional other that's greatly enhanced by knowledge of past stories are disqualified); and Robots of Death is particularly good when giving recommendations as to where you should go next, depending on what you liked and what you didn't like about it.

Once you get started, you're encouraged to ask for suggestions for what you should watch next (as long as you don't mind the slapfights that will inevitably start), or you could quite comfortably just pick things where the blurb sounds good and roll with it. DVDs of the classic series (well over 100 stories at last count) are frequently released (and, indeed, re-released) by the BBC, and stories are usually released individually. There are a few boxed sets but they're very much the exception rather than the rule. They are also absolutely stuffed full of wonderful, wonderful extras: as Komrade Hitlerstalin put it a (very long!) while ago, they don't just throw the kitchen sink in, they also include the rusty old spare drainpipe lying in a closet somewhere. Here's a cool (and nerdy) picture I found on the internet somewhere: http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/68/Doctor_Who_-_classic_series_DVDs.jpg

:siren: I shall now reiterate the spoiler policy for the benefit of the hard of understanding! We've been doing really well lately about not having ridiculous shitfits over this. Long may that continue. This thread must, by order of the mods, be able to cater for people who will not necessarily have been spoiled for a plot detail. Don't care if it was in the trailer. It's still a plot spoiler. There is a no-holds-barred spoiler thread available for those of you who have succumbed to your frankly unnatural and disgusting urges to know what happens next before it's happened. The counterpoint to that is that casting news is not a spoiler; it's impossible to avoid because new Doctors or companions are a major event in Britain and it's almost impossible to consume any kind of media (or even, on some days, just to go outside) without finding out that someone's leaving or joining the show.

And anyone thinking of joining the thread might like to bear in mind that as a discussion group, some of us have been talking about NewWho for nine years now. We've long ago exhausted our supply of praise for that thing that you just saw and liked, and it's a lot easier to slag something off than to praise it, especially when it comes with a ready supply of running gags to deploy.

When I read this thread, I always just read everything with this attached caveat: there's almost certainly bits about the the subject of discussion that the whinging git liked, but it's easier to spark discussion by moaning about something than by praising it. We would like it very much if you could share your opinions, and then defend them. That's discussion. This is a discussion thread. That's what it's for. Anyone caught bemoaning THE THREAD HIVEMIND CONSENSUS will be laughed at.

Speaking of wizened old grognards, I'd just like to remind us all that the Doctor Who Dynamic Rankings are a thing you can do, and you should vote early and often.

Finally, two weird friends have recently been working their way through NewWho together. One of them is completely new to the show, started hatewatching it, and now he loves it as much as we all do. You might enjoy reading their wacky misadventures and offbeat shenanigans. Don't spoil him. Don't hint at spoiling him. Don't cleverly dance around an upcoming plot point. You're not clever. You're just going to get the banhammer.

I'll give the last word to BabelColour. He lives on Youtube and makes the best tribute videos for anything there is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeKkbaj6jSw

Have at it.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I just own :dealwithit:

...That's not right!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Every time I see this, I'm just in utter awe of what an amazing physical actor he is. He's an actual cartoon character. It's the only explanation. How do you even do that without dislocating your hips?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

So lets say I just spent a couple of hours on a Sunday night slightly editing the all Doctors scene from Day of the Doctor, that wouldn't retroactively make me a virgin right?

No, but it might make you a Virgin Missing Adventure :v:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

CobiWann posted:

TWO Jerusalems?!?

Don't worry, it's easy to tell them apart, one of them has a Scottish accent.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

What the actual gently caress is going on?

Striking out towards sanity for a moment, occasionally when I have unexpected free time I ask a RNG to give me a story to watch. It gave me #84, The Brain of Morbius. Are you human enough to watch Tom Baker in his prime?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You're all forgetting The Ambassadors...OF DEATH!!!!!!!!!! in this conversation. Shame on you.

CobiWann posted:

So is showing my stepdaughter Warriors of the Deep the sign of good parenting, or bad parenting?

There should have been another way :(

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Meanwhile, the most Doctor Who Wiki statement to exist outside of the sex articles:

I hear that they prefer climbing to any day. And they hate walking!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

It's bizarre, because of course, it absolutely could not have been a toy marketing decision, but boy howdy, does it feel like it was a toy marketing decision.

IIRC there was a story in Private Eye which suggested exactly this explanation, it was something like "BBC Worldwide wants to make more money off Daleks, so bribes GMS to redesign the Daleks with the promise of £[large sum of money although comically small by American TV standards] for his budget, which will be made good through future booming sales of all-new redesigned Dalek toys".

edit: here we go, here's a contemporary blogpost quoting the original scuttlebutt: http://www.kasterborous.com/2010/04/cynicism-of-the-daleks/

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 7, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

and I hated the Doctor's shirt.

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

It had only been a couple of years since he finished up a seven year run on the show (and the split hadn't been entirely pleasant for all concerned), and - amongst other reasons - he felt that his return so soon would be a distraction, particularly for Davison's Doctor.

I'm fairly certain that he's since said he regrets not taking part, but I can see things from his point of view.

Would this have been quite as mindblowingly special as it was if he'd done Five Doctors? I don't think so.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

FreezingInferno posted:

The thing I remember most about the Flesh two-parter is all of the ethical discussion it spawned in these threads for two weeks.

I really do wish we could have something with that kind of weight behind it a little more often. It doesn't have to be like that all the time, but it'd be nice to see a little more ambition there.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Calling a Bag Confiscation Team to DoctorWhat's house! Hopefully he won't have locked all the doors yet and they can still get in.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

PantsOptional posted:

Would it surprise you to know that the dog can talk but only the kids know, or would it slide the gun barrel further into your mouth?

Sounds like an exceptionally pale and milquetoast competitor to Grandpa in my Pocket. Not the shrinking cap!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

So, um

remember that pipe-dream New Doctor Who Wiki?

I, um, may have bought the domain "dwwiki.net" today. I may be soliciting article-writers to deliver written-from-scratch synopses for every TV story and mini-sode since 2005. I may actually be starting this ridiculous thing and looking for help in getting it off the ground.

I may be posting some more detailed plans and cries for aid this time next week.

I can honestly say that if there's anyone who can make it happen, it's surely DoctorWhat.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Things that ruined Doctor Who forever: Steven Moffat, Russell Davies, John Nathan-Turner, Graham Williams (etc)

Drat Terry Nation and his bug-eyed monsters :argh:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I was just on Youtube looking for a Blackadder clip, and I found this, which I feel is relevant. It's from the 71 edit of that episode of Blackadder II where Tom Baker boldly goes up the Old Sea-Dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10GWjAB-2tg

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

How do you do? I see you've met my faithful handyman.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You microcephalic apostate!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If I had a fiver for every 100 words that was spent back in the day arguing over how "...somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation" jives with the 13-regeneration limit, then a week from today I'd be on my way to my own personal tropical island.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'm waiting for a bit more information to leak out about the upcoming series so I can do an OP worth having.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Sound reasoning, far as I'm concerned.

:bravo: Well played, sir. Well played indeed.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Who would win in a depression-off between Joe Lidster and Jim Mortimore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

New thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708697

• Locked thread