Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a used motherboard for my old pc as I am trying to bring it back to life. I rewire everything and when i try to start it it boots for half a second and shuts down. If I repeatidly press the power button (or short the power pins on the mobo) with just the right timing I can get it to stay on (without having to press the button again) but there is no display and the cpu fan isnt spinning about 90% of the time. Not sure what to try next. I took the motherboard out and reseated it again to check for shorts and such but everything looks fine on that end.

Spec: Gigabyte p35 ds3l, intel core 2 duo not sure which one, evga 8800 gt, balistix 2x 1gb ddr2 a corsair 550w psu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh and when the cpu fan does come on its because I pressed the power button again after it was already on. This doesnt always work however.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That means there is a short somewhere and the power supply is shutting down to prevent damage. Double-check all the cables and make sure none are plugged in incorrectly.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ok I checked everything and the short comes from the 4 pin power cable next to the cpu. The computer starts fine when its disconnected. Still no display however. The cable doesnt appear to be damaged and it splits into 2 sepparate 4 pin connectors. Both do not work.

smoke sumthin bitch fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 20, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Remove the motherboard from the case and set it on a flat, non-conductive surface and try again. The motherboard could be shorting out on the case due to a missing or incorrectly placed standoffs.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I placed everything on the carpet and it still didnt work.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Either the power supply is bad, the motherboard is bad, or you have a cable connected incorrectly or to the wrong connector. Shorts almost always indicate a cable or connection issue. To confirm, you had nothing connected except the two power cables to the motherboard, CPU and its cooler, and one stick of RAM?

Also, perform any testing on a non-conductive surface, like a cardboard box, NOT carpet or an anti-static bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I tried it on cardboard with only a stick of ram the cpu fan and the two power cables and it didnt work. Still only starts with the pcu power not connected. My old mobo is the exact same model and it does start with everything plugged in however i get no display. I used to be able to get to the bios last time I tried (with the old mobo) but not much further wich is why I replaced it.

Edit: With the old mobo it starts but it resets after ~20 seconds.

smoke sumthin bitch fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 20, 2014

• Locked thread