Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gwl5YZQ1HA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i can see his goddamn mandible

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

i agree with da op

specifically, Samsung and apple should duel each other

instead of this patent infringement slapfight, the ceos of each company should kill each other

don't see anything wrong with this.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i would be so loving civilized back in the day

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JvcqVbnI1k

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

I also wish everyone would just wear fedoras again, hold doors open for women and call them "m'lady"

I would gladly don my fedora and take part in a duel against another gentlemen for the hand of a fair maiden because swag is for boys and class is for men.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Shadoer posted:

The rules varied along with the punishment for not accepting.

You could be named a coward, however there would usually be other socially accepted reasons for not accepting a dual. The reasons usually were as follows

- You were deeply religious.
- The challenger could be legitimately argued as either insane or had his mental faculties incapacitated at the time of offering a dual.
- You could not agree on the terms of the dual. (Duals were usually expected to be fought with the same weapons, or weapons agreed before hand. If a disagreement could be found within reason, no dual)
- You knew you were going to lose. (You get out of being a coward, but you recognize the other person was going to beat you AND you need to give some satisfaction for the slight, ie cash)
- Mercy. If you were already known as a great fighter, you could deny a dual to a perceived lesser combatant out of mercy. Said combatant had to be married with children for that to work and you already had to have a good reputation.

There were also a bunch of reasons you could postpone a dual which were considered legitimate

- A national holiday or a special event, such as the coronation of a new King was happening that day or was near. The dual could be postponed till after.
- Health reasons, if you were sick for example.
- You were already tied into another dual. You could postpone till after that dual, assuming you live.

In addition, a challenge could be straight up insult so if you don't respond to public humiliation you are seen as a craven spineless wimp. No woman would gently caress you and you're buddies abandon you. In more "civilized" times the act of slapping your face with a glove could be substituted to just throwing glove at your feet or a very polite letter implying that that if you don't show up in park at dawn you are a bitch. To keep things more gentlemanly. Also, don't know about other countries but in 19 century russia, being caught cheating at cards was pretty much a free for all at the table to murder you.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Snak posted:

please. This is a much more elegant solution:

That gun is loving beautiful.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

The government wants you to duel inside on the computer. That's pretty much what video games are for. Dueling is a natural instinct, embedded deep within man's hard drive. Once you hit puberty, the dueling program boots up so to speak and you just start looking for opponents. That's why there's the most fights in middle school and then by high school everybody calms down because the hierarchies have all been established and the best duelers are well known. But the drive to duel is still there, so that's why we have video games. Instead of going out and winning a duel against some idiot who cut you on line in 7-11, there's another kind of online: online video games. This is where you can "own" (old dueling term adapted to the video-game world) people and assert your dominance over them without any real bloodshed. Occasionally the action gets too hot and digital blood bleeds over into the real world, but video games are mostly successful in their function of containing duels.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
uhhh you weren't actually supposed to kill people in a duel. it was like a big show to see that you weren't a coward. once you hit or shot the guy(you were SUPPOSED to miss on purpose) it was over. people definitely took advantage of this however and murdered the other guy. dueling didn't even stop until the 1900's, and it stopped because Wrestling matches that could end in a cheap murder were starting to be frowned upon.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

disagreements that end in shouting makes everyone richer. disagreements that end in shooting makes everyone poorer.

shouting...
shooting...
the difference? it's u

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NiceGuy posted:

For some reason this strikes me as kinda funny. What kind of a prick do you need to be to have multiple life-threatening duels on the docket?

Julie d'Aubigny managed to get challenged to three duels at the same time for kissing a woman at a ball (She won all 3)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Ferritos posted:

That gun is loving beautiful.

It's also completely modular and you cant get barrels for a bunch of different calibers, from .22 rimfire all the way up to .45-70 gov't. And you can replace the grip with a stock and put an rifle barrel on it to make a carbine. They also make a slightly beefier version that can handle even larger calibers.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Pon de Bundy posted:

uhhh you weren't actually supposed to kill people in a duel. it was like a big show to see that you weren't a coward. once you hit or shot the guy(you were SUPPOSED to miss on purpose) it was over. people definitely took advantage of this however and murdered the other guy. dueling didn't even stop until the 1900's, and it stopped because Wrestling matches that could end in a cheap murder were starting to be frowned upon.

Err... it really depended on where, when, and the reason behind the duel. You could duel till first blood and someone gained satisfaction, however that needed to be agreed to at the start in the "negotiations leading to a proper duel". Otherwise if you and the other fellow said something along the lines "to the death", well it was to the death. Only way out was to either do something to put themselves in mortal danger, like lowering your guard and saying "I yield" or later on shooting your pistol into the air and risking your opponent is going to shoot you.

For the most part though, the point of a duel was for two people in a disagreement to have a fair and legal way to murder one another. Thing was you didn't really have a strong court system to settle disputes and a ton of nobles with small armies at their commands. With duels the nobility were able to "settle" things without bringing their few hundred guys to go and fight the other guys hundred guys while burning castles and farmland between them, and then allowing things to spiral into an outright civil war.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sir John Feelgood posted:

a duel against some idiot who cut you on line in 7-11, there's another kind of online: online video games.

you must be from NYC or nearby. for everyone else there's only one kind of online, the internet, and they say "in line" when they are actually standing in a line for stuff at 7-11

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

Snak posted:

It's also completely modular and you cant get barrels for a bunch of different calibers, from .22 rimfire all the way up to .45-70 gov't. And you can replace the grip with a stock and put an rifle barrel on it to make a carbine. They also make a slightly beefier version that can handle even larger calibers.

Contenders/Encores rock, everyone should buy one and make OPs dream come true

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Shadoer posted:

Err... it really depended on where, when, and the reason behind the duel. You could duel till first blood and someone gained satisfaction, however that needed to be agreed to at the start in the "negotiations leading to a proper duel". Otherwise if you and the other fellow said something along the lines "to the death", well it was to the death. Only way out was to either do something to put themselves in mortal danger, like lowering your guard and saying "I yield" or later on shooting your pistol into the air and risking your opponent is going to shoot you.

For the most part though, the point of a duel was for two people in a disagreement to have a fair and legal way to murder one another. Thing was you didn't really have a strong court system to settle disputes and a ton of nobles with small armies at their commands. With duels the nobility were able to "settle" things without bringing their few hundred guys to go and fight the other guys hundred guys while burning castles and farmland between them, and then allowing things to spiral into an outright civil war.

i was talking about america not backwards smelly europe, im sure the europeans stabbed each other with rapiers and whatever

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Shadoer posted:

So basically instead of going to into a war, the stupid idiots that would enact said war would instead kill one another one on one?

gently caress it, I am so down for duels.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
obama vs putin who wins? putin is tougher obviously but obama is quicker i bet.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They should bring back dueling and also trial by combat. If you're on trial for some crime you can ask for trial for combat and if you kill the other dude god obviously favors you and you're innocent and if he kills you then you were guilty.

Hólmgang is also pretty cool. They'd put down a blanket or fur that was just big enough for two men to fight in it and put stakes on the corners and ropes between them. Then the dudes would stand in the circle and hack at each other and try to block each others blows with their shields. The one who bled first or fell out of the ring* lost. If you refused to fight you lost. This was abolished because there were dudes that just went around challenging random farmers to hólmagang claiming they were the rightful owners of their land or some other property. The farmers then had the choice between either fighting a professional duelist and probably losing and bribing them to go away. Most people would do the latter.

There was of course variation between different countries and time periods. Sometimes Hólmgang was to the death and sometimes instead of a ring they were fought on small islands or cliffs. In some places to avoid profiteering all the winner would get was a small amount of silver, unless the fight was over a certain property.

*or died.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
Actually, op, i don't think it is illegal. Two people agreeing to engage in a fight, that is.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Don't some places in America have "mutual combat" which is that if people agree to fight each other they can't charge each other with assault?

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
Don't they still have student duels in Germany?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Greed is eternal posted:

Don't they still have student duels in Germany?

Mensur fencing. Its full of nazis, if that's a deal breaker for you.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't that a huge plus?

I mean stabbing Nazis in the face sounds like a ball.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

they are probably better at it than you so its probably you who would get stabbed in the face. by nazis.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah but scars are cool and eventually I'd build up a immunity to being stabbed in the face.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

i want an academic fencing scar, but not from an nazi, please advise on how to proceed

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
I like how it was socially acceptable to kill rude people. Death to rude people!

Sidecrab
Jul 16, 2012

Dueling owns.

Edit: I don't think it's cool anyone getting killed, but if we could risk serious injury to settle disputes today it would be pretty cool

Sidecrab fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 22, 2014

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

nomadologique posted:

first return on my GIS

I went to uni with a German dude with a massive dueling scar and he was like the rapiest guy i ever met

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
i duel all the time on the field of yugi oh

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

this thread has educated in the sense that it led me to read a couple of articles about german/austrian dueling scar culture which i did not know existed let alone that it still exists these days and i am pleased to find that i can continue to be surprised by the weird creepy militaristic poo poo germans get up to

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Earwicker posted:

this thread has educated in the sense that it led me to read a couple of articles about german/austrian dueling scar culture which i did not know existed let alone that it still exists these days and i am pleased to find that i can continue to be surprised by the weird creepy militaristic poo poo germans get up to

theres really nothing that can match fin de siecle germany for intense creepy militarism

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
1905 germans be all "why does everyone demean us as freaky brutes"

cuz your university students wear jackboots and jodhpurs to class duh

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

paranoid randroid posted:

theres really nothing that can match fin de siecle germany for intense creepy militarism

I dont know i think there might be another period in german history that can match it

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
this would make work more fun i'd just duel everyone till i'm ceo or don;t have to work anymore.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Earwicker posted:

I dont know i think there might be another period in german history that can match it

the nazis were 100% stylistically biting on imperial germany

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

paranoid randroid posted:

everything the nazis did was biting on imperial germany

yeah but i'd say it got a bit more intense in their time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Earwicker posted:

You kind of answered your own question here. Lawyers wouldn't make any money if lawsuits were replaced with duels, and since most of our government is made of lawyers, former lawyers, and people owned by lawyers, dueling is illegal.

No, duelling has been pretty illegal for a very long time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel#Changing_attitudes

Probably beaten. This thread got to 3 pages quickly.

• Locked thread