Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

SopWATh posted:

It's probably too easy to cheat now. It's tough to find an actual single-shot pistol and the dueler's seconds would probably stand there with an AK-47 waiting to waste the other guy if he doesn't lose.

break action sawed off rifled .410 single barrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

darkwing cuck posted:

just use one of those 3d printed guns that break when you fire them

pretty sure you can find a machinist who can crank out single shot pistols fast, or a gunsmith would have no trouble making a single shot pistol that uses modern cartridges.

bring back dueling, get rid of filibusters in government and make our politicians shoot each other instead.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Shadoer posted:

To be honest, the reason wasn't anything to do with morals or ethics. It really came down to that dueling was resulting in things like the military's officer core being really depleted. As armies grew larger and larger, the need for an officer core that wasn't murdering itself all the time became more and more important thus leading to the elimination of duels.

There was still a strong morale impetus to end dueling, but really it was the needs of the military that really ended it. (And even then it was largely replaced by just having a fist fight over an issue, heck I think the british still encourage settling disputes in a boxing ring)

just make it legal for all civilians to duel and set up dirt fields where the cops can monitor people shooting each other.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

darealkooky posted:

what is a drive by shooting if not the modern verson of a duel?

calvary charge?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think in most places for many hundreds of years dueling was not legal. The state didn't want people dueling because they'd kill each other and usually it was lords and nobles and officers in the military and jesus christ stop killing each other.

think of how it could solve gang violence, they can have a couple bangers show up sign a paper and then legally solve a dispute without having to worry about cross fire.

Also this would be a fun way to see company executives solve their differences.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Poor people should be able to duel rich people for their money IMHO. To the death. If a wealthy man cannot, or is not willing to, defend his riches in honorable combat he is undeserving of them.

rich people would just make it legal to hire someone to duel for them and hire ringers.

better to just let all the poors shoot each other somewhere where you can film it and turn it into a tv event.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

l33t b4c0n posted:

What were the rules of dueling? Like if someone challenged me, couldn't I just not accept and go on being an rear end? I'm pretty sure if I'm already an rear end in a top hat, I don't care about "honor".

you would be publicly labeled as a coward, and it would go on your record, like if you interview for a job the back round check would come back with a giant red coward bolded on it.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Snak posted:

please. This is a much more elegant solution:

what that?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Earwicker posted:

You kind of answered your own question here. Lawyers wouldn't make any money if lawsuits were replaced with duels, and since most of our government is made of lawyers, former lawyers, and people owned by lawyers, dueling is illegal.

reform our torte laws to be dueling matches instead.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Snak posted:

Also, we do not need more ways for stupid people to prove themselves right. Cause it would totally improve things if the entire population of arfcom could go out and challenge all the minorities and liberals that they meet to duels.

it actually would. we kinda brainwashed people to think violence is never a solution when it always is a solution just usually the worst one.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

fanged wang posted:

how do you know so much about duels without knowing how to spell the word duel?

rad duel info tho. somebody post the link about how duels mostly ended in people stabbing each other simultaneously

that sounds pretty metal.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
this would make work more fun i'd just duel everyone till i'm ceo or don;t have to work anymore.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Octy posted:

No, duelling has been pretty illegal for a very long time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel#Changing_attitudes

Probably beaten. This thread got to 3 pages quickly.

make it legal for only lawyers to duel.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Earwicker posted:

or just in a back yard

thats what me and the guys from the girls und panzer reenactment group do anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i did something dumb

• Locked thread