Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Shadoer posted:

The rules varied along with the punishment for not accepting.

You could be named a coward, however there would usually be other socially accepted reasons for not accepting a dual. The reasons usually were as follows

- You were deeply religious.
- The challenger could be legitimately argued as either insane or had his mental faculties incapacitated at the time of offering a dual.
- You could not agree on the terms of the dual. (Duals were usually expected to be fought with the same weapons, or weapons agreed before hand. If a disagreement could be found within reason, no dual)
- You knew you were going to lose. (You get out of being a coward, but you recognize the other person was going to beat you AND you need to give some satisfaction for the slight, ie cash)
- Mercy. If you were already known as a great fighter, you could deny a dual to a perceived lesser combatant out of mercy. Said combatant had to be married with children for that to work and you already had to have a good reputation.

There were also a bunch of reasons you could postpone a dual which were considered legitimate

- A national holiday or a special event, such as the coronation of a new King was happening that day or was near. The dual could be postponed till after.
- Health reasons, if you were sick for example.
- You were already tied into another dual. You could postpone till after that dual, assuming you live.

how do you know so much about duels without knowing how to spell the word duel?

rad duel info tho. somebody post the link about how duels mostly ended in people stabbing each other simultaneously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
the duellists is probably ridley scott's best film

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

i didn't click that but it seems kind of an inappropriate thing for an adult to watch and make reference to that's just my $0.02 thoug

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

The Protagonist posted:

your ironic badposting is just bad ild

sorry to have to be the one to tell you this honestly it's not normally my job

ok first of all yall need to duel now, and secondly i'll be his second bec its not fair to expect 100% from a poster all the time so uh choose your weopan bitch

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

:goonsay:

stfu nerd

• Locked thread