Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

The Taint Reaper posted:

That being said why hasn't anyone made Brutal Legend clones with refined gameplay. That was an interesting twist to the RTS genre. Make it like a Brutal Legend/Heroes of Might and Magic 2 Hybrid.

this already exists, it's called sacrifice and was made back in like 2003

it's p good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

darealkooky posted:

this already exists, it's called sacrifice and was made back in like 2003

it's p good

2000 but yeah

i havent played it in years though. idk how it holds up as far as actual strategy, especially later in the game when high level charnel/pyro can pull out those crazy rear end machine gun guys who kill anything in an instant if not shielded and others can do similar things

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its also a lot like herzog zwei on the genesis. airmech is another herzog zwei clone, but it kinda blows now

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Larry Parrish posted:

the problem with starcraft 2 is that the 'macro' is just following a checklist of what to build when at the exact second and maybe uhh scouting to see if they aer going to do an early rush or something. the thing i hate is that starcraft is fun if you play it like its supposed to be but then e-sports fags made it into this insane game where building your barracks a second late can be the difference between winning and losing. lol gently caress that.

the checklist thing is just to compare how fast you build things vs. someone who is a lot better than you, for example if you have barracks a full minute later than a normal terran player it will tell you what's wrong

sc2gears is a cool program that tells you a lot about how you play and i like it

i should get sc2 going again and play imp games but i'm lazy and my internet is bad here

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know man, I just make a poo poo ton of marines and thors

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Arian_Samurai posted:

I don't know man, I just make a poo poo ton of marines and thors

i did a food cap of marines and gave them stims and ran them at my friend's protoss base right into a fuckin' psionic storm and i don't think i have ever felt so owned in an rts

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

where is battlezone 3 or maybe uprising 3 or urban assault 2

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Extra posted:

esports

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

RTS games have changed alot since the Command & Conquer days. I miss the days of just building a poo poo-ton of tanks and just tossing them at the enemy base. Most new RTS games don't even let you build bases anymore. :sigh:

Homeworld owns though.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

myth 3 wasn't as good as myth 2, the Best RTS, thus dooming the entire genre thereafter to the fail fever.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I have to echo that there really hasn't been anything up to the Homeworld 1 standard since it came out.

I gotta give Time of Defiance a shoutout though just for being an interesting twist, even if it was crude ugly and clunky I liked what they tried for a spell

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

tranime scholar posted:

what went wrong with RTS games is that they don't make AoE or RoN games anymore OP
Agreed. And gently caress AoE 3.

WC3 was pretty dope, probably the best RTS ever made after AoE2. Mostly because of funny things you could do like tower rush, shaman rush, high-perch, and other things. Company of Heroes was a lot of fun, probably the last recent RTS I had fun with, but... :relic:

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 22, 2014

Khaal
Mar 22, 2008
what if it wasn't rts games that went wrong... it was us...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think like a lot of other dying genres, people were drawn to it for a lot of different reasons and other genres have sprung up to scratch their itch without the other stuff they don't like. Like if you liked building bases, controlling armies, collecting resources, long cliche stories, or the specific aesthetic of a starcraft or warcraft, but not how it all came together with a focus on apm and micro, you probably found other games to play.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 22, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

That being said why hasn't anyone made Brutal Legend clones with refined gameplay. That was an interesting twist to the RTS genre. Make it like a Brutal Legend/Heroes of Might and Magic 2 Hybrid.
they made a game that was like brutal legend only better

it was called sacrifice

and it came out before brutal legend

GreaseMonkey
Jun 19, 2001
What went wrong is they never released an Endwar 2

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the best rts' don't have base building. they are myth the fallen lords games. soullesssnypa4lyfe

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

the best rts' don't have base building. they are myth the fallen lords games. soullesssnypa4lyfe

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bungee went all in on the wrong ip.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i miss red alert 2
but im pretty sure nobody else on earth really knew how to play it

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
I wonder how often the Blizzard boys look at Starcraft 2's numbers, then at the combined numbers of LoL and DOTA 2, which only exist because of Warcraft 3, and weep with despair at what they let get away for free.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

I... I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

01011001 posted:

2000 but yeah

i havent played it in years though. idk how it holds up as far as actual strategy, especially later in the game when high level charnel/pyro can pull out those crazy rear end machine gun guys who kill anything in an instant if not shielded and others can do similar things

i don't think you'd ever know by playing the single player game since the actual strategy elements only tend to emerge by playing against human opponents a lot

it is a really really good game though. earthworm james and pyro are my boys

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm going to murder you with flaming arrows & mortar dwarves

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Real hurthling! posted:

before it was a third person tactical shooter, pre-halo was a modern military RTS true story

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I wonder how often the Blizzard boys look at Starcraft 2's numbers, then at the combined numbers of LoL and DOTA 2, which only exist because of Warcraft 3, and weep with despair at what they let get away for free.

still not as funny as games workshop giving up like 90% of their potential revenue stream by not licensing their IP to blizzard lol

Dec 26, 2012

Neurosis posted:

i don't think you'd ever know by playing the single player game since the actual strategy elements only tend to emerge by playing against human opponents a lot

it is a really really good game though. earthworm james and pyro are my boys

yeah thats fair. i dont mind saying i only really played single player though because the single player was really really good

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

the problem with starcraft 2 is that the 'macro' is just following a checklist of what to build when at the exact second and maybe uhh scouting to see if they aer going to do an early rush or something. the thing i hate is that starcraft is fun if you play it like its supposed to be but then e-sports fags made it into this insane game where building your barracks a second late can be the difference between winning and losing. lol gently caress that.

macro turned Starcraft into a game of economy where expansion and map control actually matter and you can have a war instead of a skirmish. sc2 still sucks ofc. They probably should've made it a larger scale game with like a 600 food cap where you need to expand even more to make up for macro and micro being easier

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

eSports Chaebol posted:

macro turned Starcraft into a game of economy where expansion and map control actually matter and you can have a war instead of a skirmish. sc2 still sucks ofc. They probably should've made it a larger scale game with like a 600 food cap where you need to expand even more to make up for macro and micro being easier

you're pissy about the food cap but you want a higher food cap

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Endorph posted:

dawn of war is the best rts

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Endorph posted:

dawn of war is the best rts

The first one was cool then they hosed the second one up.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

The first one was cool then they hosed the second one up.

DoW2 was an interesting experiment with some fun things but yeah. I miss the base-building from the first one and the scale of combat was much smaller with tinier WC3-like skirmishes.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

GreaseMonkey posted:

get hosed

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
dow2's buildings are WAY too chufty but it's a fun game

dow1 is gloriously broken

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

GreaseMonkey posted:

Theres a f2p Endwar coming out soon.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Endwar was good. Sorry

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How could they make another one if the war ended. Think about it.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

gary oldmans diary posted:

i miss red alert 2
but im pretty sure nobody else on earth really knew how to play it

ra2 was amazing. best units in an rts ever

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

nah theyre all hi5-ing each other because heroes of the storm is gonna kill both of those at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

nah theyre all hi5-ing each other because heroes of the storm is gonna kill both of those at the same time
lol

• Locked thread