Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't really play them, OP, but I've always assumed that all the micro in the world isn't going to beat someone who just knows how to counter you or whatever. But hey I might be wrong. But I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You can have the best aim of all time but it probably won't win a ton of counterstrike or quake or whatever games for you against people who are a lot better at the general brain part. Farewell.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hell do they even make games where the whole thing is about micro. What good is micro if you aren't macroing. OP, I think your a gigantic tool, and a idiot.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think "what went wrong" here is folks like the OP don't have the patience, talent or capacity for learning subtler aspects of games that give them more depth, and just live high on the assumption that in a battle of "pure wits" they'd win every time, even though a game about that would probably be rear end. Why don't you join a debate club or the actual military as a commander or some game show, dipshit. gently caress off.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

zen death robot posted:

Did you say "Farewell" and come back for more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfa8iEuDwe4

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

How.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I know I'm a big old RTS noob but is there actually such a thing as micro busywork. I thought with how RTSes are controlled and path and all that, the amount of times you click per second directly translates to something of at least a little significance happening in the game. That's why I don't particularly dislike the idea of APM or whatever, since I guess theoretically it ought to mean that much more granular of management. Unless RTSes do indeed have just straight up making you click for the hell of it crap in which case, WTF?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Do people just want the units to do something as smartly as possible or something. Where do you draw the line on that, and I thought the beauty of RTSes like SC was how meticulously you can control the game if you want to. Why would you give that up...

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If something is just an apm sink how does it offer nuance.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

uh, the machine gun autofiring is a thing for casuals and you only get proper fire rate by hammering on the key really fast, anything else is watering the game down

five minute thing is exaggerating and what skill restriction does divekick have

Actually, I'm fairly certain the machine gun doesn't fire faster based on how quickly you click. Goodbye.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Kylra posted:

Which two RTS games are way larger? I think I'm missing something here. Maybe I'm living under a rock and don't know it.

Age of Empires Online, and Super Mario RTS.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

It's sad for me to see that Age of Empires has been marred by such an extremely fail AIDS product.

I thought it looked kind of cool, personally.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

It was a cool idea, but it was heavily marred by p2w because microsoft.

kind of like one of those energy-based facebook games, but with a fun AoE battle between cooldowns.

I thought they fixed all that stuff after like a year. I remember me mate draco talking about it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

It was a joke and also a bad metaphor because I can't make good metaphors.

The attempted message was that a theoretical badly designed version of q3 wouldn't have autofire and people would defend that as an important thing that should never be changed

I know matey, I'm just busting your balls.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The "Where do you draw the line" works both ways though, folks, so be careful. Just because simplifying Starcraft to the absurd might mean the game plays itself, making "Things You Have To Actually Get Good At" to the absurd would mean you have to do ten jumping jacks on a pogo stick and press 6 keys on the keyboard in an order that alternates 4 times in a cycle in order to aim the machine gun in quake. Try finding a different standard, like the tried and true "simplest while offering the most choice possible" that clicking units or moving the mouse to aim gives you, or what have you, since having your eyes just on the Skill Floors, Ceilings, Taxes, Sinks, and whatever other stupid terms, makes you an idiot who likes dumb poo poo.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Humphrey Vasel posted:

If they made more(any?) rts games controller friendly more people would play them imo

Try Cannon Brawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

V.

• Locked thread