Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

The Taint Reaper posted:

That being said why hasn't anyone made Brutal Legend clones with refined gameplay. That was an interesting twist to the RTS genre. Make it like a Brutal Legend/Heroes of Might and Magic 2 Hybrid.

this already exists, it's called sacrifice and was made back in like 2003

it's p good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

wc3 is the best rts of all time

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i played a game of SC2 where i built nothing but command centers and flew them over to the enemy base and planted them wherever i could and started building those cannons that go on the top. i killed one dude that way, flying five command centers over, though only three survived to build the guns. there were like two other players and they killed me, but i like to think the one who got me had a good chuckle when he came to my victim's base and saw three command center pounding on everything in range.

that was the most fun i had in SC2.

I think they fixed this eventually but I remember in the beta there was one map in space where both players spawn really close to eachother but have to take a long way around to actually reach the other base

so what I'd do is just get the money to make that command center upgrade, fly your starting workers/command center over to the other and kill all their workers because terran workers had way more health than anyone else, and then I used the cannon to clean up, and win in under five minutes.

I had a really good success rate doing this

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

truly I am the master of videogame warfare because I can outstrategize a computer AI that is programmed to play by very specific rules

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

there's a bunch of fighting game stuff that's unfun and arbitrary like executing links in sf4. i'm not even saying it should be like mvc style comboing, 3s is perfect

bad things:
kara cancelling
links
infinites

all of these are actually insanely good

sf4 having dumb 1 frame links constantly doesn't mean all links everywhere are bad

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

also I'm not really sure how people are getting away with saying "having to abuse animatons or do other movement tricks isn't strategy" without collapsing in on themselves from cognitive dissonance. without all that animation stuff the entire game is moving your ball(s) of units into the other guys ball and making sure you have enough workers to make a bigger/better ball and picking rock, paper or scissors to counter their ball by clicking "build unit" in the appropriate way

that's not strategy, that's doing the same poo poo every single time

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

stop judging kara canceling from sf4 pls, in fact don't judge anything based on how it appears in sf4 because it's terrible

lol what are you even talking about 3s has links, pretty much every single combo that isn't a character specific series of normals has at least one link in it. even loving marvel 3, the game where BNB's are so easy a child can do them, has links. asking why you would use links instead of chains for everything is like saying why isn't zangeifs SPD a fireball motion instead of a 720. you have the risk of loving up for a benefit of more damage/meter/positioning/whatever

like with kara canceling, don't judge infinities/loops as being bad by using an example from a bad game please. games like marvel 2 and guilty gear are just fine with infinites/loops because the rest of the game is good. it encourages you to not get hit by a move or put yourself into a specific situation because you take a huge risk, and most of them are not easy. where do you draw the line between infinites/links and stuff like 40% combo -> dizzy -> 40% combo to essentially one shot people in games like 3S or ST, or most anime fighters where you can 50% combo -> knockdown + really good oki -> 50% combo and end a round. getting punished for making mistakes is good, and being a sarcastic rear end in a top hat about it by posting footage from bad games doesn't change this fact

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

also if you think infinites are really bad you're essentially admitting that hokuto no ken isn't worth playing and that makes you garbage

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

hey a cake

Doctor Goat posted:

fighting games have stupid arbitrary skill restrictions that offer no benefit aside from making it ~higher skill~ including defending boring rear end infinite combos, which is like if you could get someone stuck in a corner iin quake 3 and shoot them with the machine gun for five minutes

if shooting the machine gun in quake was harder then "hold down left mouse button" your metaphor might make sense, because the movement in quake/fighting games is good enough that if you let yourself get cornered and put into that situation it's because you got outplayed

also lol what game has five minute long combos?

and are you really making GBS threads on me saying I should play dive kick, and then unironically saying fighting games "have stupid arbitrary skill restrictions that offer no benefit" lmao

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Kylra posted:

Execution barriers aren't strategy though, and I am much less convinced that execution cliffs like in SC2 are good for strategy games.

does sc2 really have "execution cliffs"? when I was talking about moment stuff I was talking about sc1 where it doesn't automate everything for you and because of the way animations work you can do stuff like dodge lurker spikes by tactically moving your marines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

uh, the machine gun autofiring is a thing for casuals and you only get proper fire rate by hammering on the key really fast, anything else is watering the game down

five minute thing is exaggerating and what skill restriction does divekick have

there's still not the same risk involved in dropping an infinite/loop combo vs hammering the "shoot man" key at someone stuck in a corner like your made up situation entails

also you misunderstand, you're saying I should play divekick if I want a game that has huge punishment for getting hit once, but you want a game that removes all the "stupid arbitrary skill restrictions that offer no benefit" AKA divekick

Kylra posted:

"Cliff" might be a bit hyperbolic, but

I see, I genuinely had no idea. I got burned out of rts after seven something years of wc3 so I never really bothered with sc2, but I always heard people bitching about how it's dummbed down and has no micro

• Locked thread