Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Big Beef City posted:

You ever go to gamestop and find that girl working behind the counter, not the hot one, the other one that's still ok and all you want to do is trade in last year's madden for this year's assasins creed but 20 minutes later you're still in the store, in the employee restroom and she's feeding your rear end zelda plush figurines and telling you how she's a bigger man than you are and you just can't stop cumming?

every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Gamestop stopped.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Gamestop stopped.

It's "Game Over" for Gamestop!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I bought my PS4 "refurbished" from GameStop earlier in the month and it still had a bunch of saved games on it and I had to return it twice before I got one that worked.

That's my GameStop story.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You bring up some good points.

Can buy it on steam/origin/GMG/any website or even Best Buy and have a better experience, lower prices, and not hustled for a credit card/scratch protection.

-OR-

Talk to the cute Gamer Gurl behind the counter about the latest AAA title at Gamestop?

Gamestop wins every time. (This is seriously their business model)

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
drat! I thought the assassin's creed based economy would hold out

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Yeah but this is 2014. You can pre-download games on modern consoles (PS4 and WiiU) and have them ready the very minute they unlock in the store.

buying digital games is for suckers

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Gamestop is okay for impulse buying something old that's more expensive on XBL or hitting their used game sales

also maybe once a year I decide I want the BIG NEW RELEASE all of a sudden so I can just go there at 11:45pm and get it

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Nonsense posted:

buying digital games is for suckers

I never sell my games + less poo poo in my house + no pants

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nostalgia compels me to go into GameStop and relive the days when places like CompUSA or Software Boutique were filled with games and gigantic PC boxes with the flap on the front and everything looked really cool and fun. So I still walk in and there's usually little kids just as excited as I was when I was a child about being there and I wonder if newer generations will ever fondly recall these same memories of a physical store or if their recollections will be that of a "purchase" button they click along with screenshots and comments on a website.

These are the things I wonder...and sometimes I weep for the children.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"This exemplifies GME's reliance on game sales for its livelihood."

pretty improtant and valuable statement, i sure do want to subscribe to read the rest of the article

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
If you want physical copies of games on release day, you can order with Amazon Prime shipping to get release-day shipment of games. Maybe you don't get it THE VERY MINUTE IT IS RELEASED but some people have jobs in the morning, then can play a game in the evening after it has arrived via UPS or whatever, still on release day.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Are they the ones that take shrinkwrap off new games? Sick freaks.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
hmm yes a thread called rip gamestop where you are ripping on gamestop.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

gamestop employees stole so many club nintendo codes, nintendo redesigned their packaging

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

ultimateforce posted:

I bought my PS4 "refurbished" from GameStop earlier in the month and it still had a bunch of saved games on it and I had to return it twice before I got one that worked.

I worked at Gamestop eons ago and one time some guy traded in his PSP with the memory stick still in it that had naked pictures of his girlfriend.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i was at gamestop on lunch once some years ago inquiring about some stupid preorder and the counter guy was a midwestern guido or something probably the manager too go figure and just kept saying 'like a boss' over and over and trying to clown me while i was thinking it over and was talking about me with his two underfed counter lackeys which irritated me so i pushed over one of those narrow tower displays stacked deep with new releases and dared him to follow me outside away from those lame cameras, unfortunately he didn't.

i have been to a gamestop like 4 times, wouldn't recommend it

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Nonsense posted:

gamestop employees stole so many club nintendo codes, nintendo redesigned their packaging
is that really why they've been putting them on the inside of the case jacket now?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

You ever go to gamestop and find that girl working behind the counter, not the hot one, the other one that's still ok and all you want to do is trade in last year's madden for this year's assasins creed but 20 minutes later you're still in the store, in the employee restroom and she's feeding your rear end zelda plush figurines and telling you how she's a bigger man than you are and you just can't stop cumming?

So you've met Brittany?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I used to love gamestop and EB and such as a kid, I feel like I got plenty of money for my tradeins and their used games were reasonably priced. Now you can just buy the same games on steam for a fraction of the price and they'll give you like 1 buck for a used game and turn around and sell it for 95% of MSRP of the new one. It's like in response to the internet having better deals they just started gouging what customers they had more, not really surprising they're going under.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
Gamestop is where I go for sex.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Sex Beef 2.0 posted:

Gamestop is where I go for sex.

what console's that for?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I remember getting a Diablo battlechest at CompUSA. And yeah, looking at the little fold out flaps for the PC games were awesome

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I <3 Gamestop because their parasitic relationship with the industry is slowly killing it

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

oldpainless posted:

Nostalgia compels me to go into GameStop and relive the days when places like CompUSA or Software Boutique were filled with games and gigantic PC boxes with the flap on the front and everything looked really cool and fun. So I still walk in and there's usually little kids just as excited as I was when I was a child about being there and I wonder if newer generations will ever fondly recall these same memories of a physical store or if their recollections will be that of a "purchase" button they click along with screenshots and comments on a website.

:rip:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

*guffah* Where's your Voodoo grafix card lil' son?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Went dumpster diving at a gamestop with some burnouts when I was in highschool, found an action replay, a ds case and a sweet resident evil shirt

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I'm pretty sure a lot of times Gamestop won't sell you a game on release day unless you have a preorder even if they have non-preordered copies in stock just to make you feel bad for not preordering.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Mad Archivist posted:

I <3 Gamestop because their parasitic relationship with the industry is slowly killing it

what's really killing the industry is the insanely out of control budgets for games. it's doubly funny since most of the games worth playing lately have been poo poo like ftl, which are made by small teams for a shitton less money than, say, what ubisoft spent on asscreed unity.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

I miss this and seeing walls of people's cd/cassette/record collection.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

asscreed is garbage, and commandos was better

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nonsense posted:

asscreed is garbage, and commandos was better

i liked the first couple, then the rest of them were the first couple games over and over except worse

i'd like a remake of 1 with all the bullshit taken out, it was my favorite setting in the series.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ArbitraryC posted:

I used to love gamestop and EB and such as a kid, I feel like I got plenty of money for my tradeins and their used games were reasonably priced. Now you can just buy the same games on steam for a fraction of the price and they'll give you like 1 buck for a used game and turn around and sell it for 95% of MSRP of the new one. It's like in response to the internet having better deals they just started gouging what customers they had more, not really surprising they're going under.

that's a pretty standard business practice these days though

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Big Beef City posted:

This was me 20 minutes ago.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

oldpainless posted:

this is a real good post

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

remember when that guy in the xbox one thread started taking pictures of people he thought were Microsoft spies in gamestop?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

remember when that guy in the xbox one thread started taking pictures of people he thought were Microsoft spies in gamestop?

those people literally existed at best buy

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I used to have a bunch of PC games that I'd accrued over the years. I went to Basic Training at 17 and when I came home my mom had thrown out all my computer boxes.

I was really mad.

I'm still mad.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Asimo posted:

i'm pretty sure the only reason gamestop sells used ipads and phones and poo poo is because half their business model revolves around being a pawn shop for stolen games and peripherals without any of the record keeping or security an actual pawn shop has to follow, so why not expand that to other electronics too and make a mint from desperate druggies

This isn't totally true. In Oregon at least they photo copy your ID and have you sign some BS to do trade ins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think I've been in a Gamestop at least a couple of times, but the experience was always "Oh, it's pretty much just console bullshit in here."

As a member of the PC-gaming master race, the store never really had much appeal to me.

• Locked thread