Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/journal-accepts-paper-reading-get-me-your-loving-mailing-list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
what

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
:gas:

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

I never learned this sentence diagraming thing in school and I'm glad.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

RAGE HOLE posted:

I never learned this sentence diagraming thing in school and I'm glad.

its the worst goddamn thing, especially when you're 11

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Would be funnier if infidel was an anagram of fiddler.

Don't think it's okay to say the word fiddler in these times though it sounds like sexual assault.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

quote:

A paper that largely consists of the words “Get me off your loving mailing list” repeated 863 times has been accepted by a journal that claims to be peer reviewed. The move might appear to offer hope to scientists struggling to get marginal work published, but really just exposes the extent of scam publications pretending to be contributing to science.
(...)
Dr Peter Vamplew, a computer scientist at Federation University Australia got one too many invites from the International Journal of Advanced Computer Technology and hit back with the seven words repeated over and over, along with headings, pseudo-citations, a flow chart and graph.

Vamplew didn't expect to be published – he just hoped the “editors” would stop cluttering up his inbox. Instead a return message said a reviewer had rated the paper as “excellent” and IJACT would publish for the low, low price of $150.

Even that was too much for Vamplew, but he has achieved a moment of fame, although one unlikely to earn him a promotion.

Dr. Vamplew is pretty hilarious.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

its the worst goddamn thing, especially when you're 11

agreed, just teach kids that reading can be fun, don't try and shove that autistic sentence diagramming poo poo down their throats

I got real lucky and had a mom who read good stories to me and got me interested in reading early

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

gnarlyhotep posted:

agreed, just teach kids that reading can be fun, don't try and shove that autistic sentence diagramming poo poo down their throats

I got real lucky and had a mom who read good stories to me and got me interested in reading early

im glad your a mod i cant wait until your veneer of friendliness cracks and you slowly go insane and become evil and it overwhelms you. . . . . ....

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How is this surprising or even funny, take a look at the journal's website it says it all

http://www.ijact.org/

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The background on this is extremely funny to me, a guy who constantly sees posters for academic conferences being held in Paris, London, Barcelona, or wherever the gently caress Cornell is

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
nice hidden goatse link human being

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Node posted:

nice hidden goatse link human being

I literally have never seen you make a single good post

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Vegetable posted:

How is this surprising or even funny.

Uhhhh, he wrote "get me off your loving mailing list" a lot. Did you read the article?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
This is almost as good as the "Chicken chicken chicken" paper. I use that one to show my students that content is more important than having a flashy-looking paper.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Poetic Justice posted:

im glad your a mod i cant wait until your veneer of friendliness cracks and you slowly go insane and become evil and it overwhelms you. . . . . ....

nah his coolness is as imperturbable as your lovely posting

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

whoflungpoop posted:

nah his coolness is as imperturbable as your lovely posting

:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slurin
Jul 17, 2008
I am a coward who makes grandiose claims and then runs away when asked for evidence. Please ignore everything I have to say.
Good article, resume padding in academics is prevalent and this is a great response to it. The article claims that people have issues getting published in journals specific to their fields, and that is bs unless if you are doing bad research. There is alot of crap that makes it into well peer revieiwed journals because the referees are nowadays too busy writing grants and their own papers to do a great job revewing something

• Locked thread