Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i drive an eighties Benz w/ just under 150k mi that will still be on the road when new cars rolling off the line today are being hauled into the junkyard...there's a couple new cars that i wouldnt mind owning (ie. Fiesta ST, Abarth, BRZ, new Miata) but gently caress car payments, depreciation, and high insurance premiums

to many more years you beautiful, bourgeois, boxy bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
the sensory experience is what its really all about, most new cars of all types are so isolated/sound proofed and based off electronics/computers to the point where many cars actually attempt recreate some of this stuff artificially like the engine sound amplifier in the Focus ST or drive by wire systems that try to emulate the responsiveness of a mechanical assembly.

after that, the random quirks and the styling are what its all about to me. especially the styling, safety regulations have put a lot of constraints on that department IMO.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Tautologicus posted:

Ya my bimmer was loud as gently caress during city driving especially with the windows down but at highway speeds it was completely quiet somehow. That car was built from the ground up to be an autobahn cruiser and it showed in every aspect. Drove an e320 from same era and it was the same way, at least in that regard. My favorite part was the handling mostly..it was so on point, never seen it in any other car ive driven. You can feel the car leaning on the outside wheel when you make a turn, it feels so solid and reassuring. Just trying to convert a few fence sitters here. Old german cars=best cars

yep same here. slow when wafting around town (thanks to a 4sp auto that starts in 2nd by default) but eventually it does come alive on the highway between 70-100mph, super quiet when at speed aside from when the smooth straight six is screaming away, and not a single god drat rattle with doors that close like they are part of a vault. BMW E30/E34s are fantastic as well and also much more fun to drive, but they just don't approach the build quality of pre Chrysler era Mercedes.

not too worried about getting in an accident either, despite only have a single 1st gen airbag i think id be ok

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 25, 2014

• Locked thread