Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I enjoy spending less money to keep my Old Volvo running than you're monthly car payment, O.P.

edit: the 240 cost $2100 and i've spent far less than that on oil and parts and a :krad: stereo. it's never left me stranded anywhere and is likely to keep going for a few hundred thousand more miles unlike ur plastic new garbage car

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Leroy Diplowski posted:

gently caress you, old cars are cool and fun to drive. Here is a picture of my old car. It cost what 3 payments on a new Kia would cost.

bitchin quad sealed beams

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

FordPRefectLL posted:

i have a 1997 volvo 960 station wagon and it owns and i almost never have to spend money on it

make sure u change the timing belt according to the schedule or you will learn the lesson my dad did when he didn't change his 960's timing belt according to the schedule

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

TOILETLORD posted:

my favorite thing is seeing some of the 90's cars that were still built out of thick rear end steel hit new cars with a million plastic parts.

my dad was driving my 240 (see above post) and a woman backed into him and then drove away without exchanging information. she destroyed her bumper and crumpled his fender a little. $900 bumper replacement vs. finding a PDR guy or just bolting a $30 fender from the junkyard on it lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

a starwar betamax posted:

that car is ok but the stupid oldtimy instagram filter makes me want to punch the poo poo out of you

here try mine

i used a medium format film camera that's older than the car to take this, so it cost $0.75

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Cubey posted:

new cars are all hideously ugly with terrible visibility, i will continue to buy old sports cars, thanks

also this. lmao new cars have to have fuckin cameras and TVs mounted in them because driving them is like driving a tank. tank but no thanks

mind the walrus posted:

So tell someone who doesn't know dick about cars something-- would it be possible to outfit a cool-looking Old Car with most of the necessary good stuff of a modern car and get the best of both worlds or is that prohibitively expensive?

what is "necessary" in a new car to you? you can get a radio with bluetooth, if that's what you mean.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

A Good Car, but: it's slow. My dad drives it now and i drive this one:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i drove it 4 miles down an unmarked dirt/sand road past an (abandoned?) FAA radar station in Nye County, NV and it was probably a bad idea but it was neat

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Well this is where I out myself as even dumber and more ignorant than I already seemed (quite a feat I assure you), but I was referring to things like advances in steering and suspension and shocks and engine efficiency and all those things that make the average car from 2005 ride a hell of a lot smoother, faster, and very broadly speaking better than your average car from 1963.

you can get a camry with 295 hp but it handles like absolute poo poo garbage, and probably has electric power steering so you feel disconnected from the road. there aren't really any significant advances in handling since the 90s unless you're talking about high-end sporty cars.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

and I'm sure there are guys that swear by their rotary phones and Casio watches, but here we are

*goes over bump* wow u barely even feel it *goes over speed bump* wow u barely even feel it *goes over cyclist* wow u barely e

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Lufiron posted:

You can modify any cars suspension to ride however you like

you can also put a modern engine in an old car

there is an entire industry around making old cars ride like new cars

pretty sure the industry is based around making old cars handle better, not "ride like new cars" because nobody in their right mind would put a mushy new-car suspension in an old car, unless they were installing airbags in a '69 Cadillac or something

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Carol Pizzamom posted:

new car suspensions are mushy only if the company wants them to be. if you're building it from the ground up you can have any firmness all the way up to track-only stuff

and except for weirdass multilink suspensions and active weird poo poo, they've been just about the same for many years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

opus111 posted:

Lol at how the OP constantly makes wannabe outrage threads but nobody gives a crap.

ya this is now the "discuss how good and cool old cars are" thread and i like it

• Locked thread