Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Had a 91 bmw 525 with 88,000 miles when i got it and it was awesome. Had no shakes rattles or noises at all, cruised at 90 comfortably like it was 40, and handled so good. Like i could feel where all the wheels were at all times without it feeling rigid or go-karty. Of course it turned out the PO slightly neglected it and i had to redo a terrible valve cover gasket job and get new brakes, a water pump and a bunch of small things but it was worth it. Had it tinted and new exhaust and it looked great. I miss that car. Now a japanese college student drives it to vermont and back and she loves it. And now im a bum and may never have a car again. But you are off the mark op, 85 to 03 was the golden years for german luxury sedans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The 5th Foid posted:

Lol is 88 000 s considered high milage for german failmolbiles? Buy a real car and you won't have any trouble OP.

No..my point was it was low mileage. Was driven 4,000 miles a year since it was made. Bmw e34's regularly get to 400k+, theyre sturdy as poo poo

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

open container posted:

I don't think this is what the OP is about

Yes it is, gently caress getting a 2014 ford focus over a 90s german luxury cruiser. Id do it again with 4x the income.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

hemophilia posted:

i really do like automatic transmission. it enables a lot more stupid poo poo and lets me pay way less attention to the actual driving part of driving.

I would happily give it up for an old muscle car though. I feel like you're retarded if you wouldn't give up modern luxuries for some of those classic cars.

Automatic transmissions are almost as old as cars themselves..in fact the modern manual transmission is newer than the planetary gearbox as far as i remember. but i agree, i prefer automatic too

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ya id take a DCT porsche anyday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mariana Horchata posted:

the sensory experience is what its really all about, most new cars of all types are so isolated/sound proofed and based off electronics/computers to the point where many cars actually attempt recreate some of this stuff artificially like the engine sound amplifier in the Focus ST or drive by wire systems that try to emulate the responsiveness of a mechanical assembly.

after that, the random quirks and the styling are what its all about to me. especially the styling, safety regulations have put a lot of constraints on that department IMO.

Ya my bimmer was loud as gently caress during city driving especially with the windows down but at highway speeds it was completely quiet somehow. That car was built from the ground up to be an autobahn cruiser and it showed in every aspect. Drove an e320 from same era and it was the same way, at least in that regard. My favorite part was the handling mostly..it was so on point, never seen it in any other car ive driven. You can feel the car leaning on the outside wheel when you make a turn, it feels so solid and reassuring. Just trying to convert a few fence sitters here. Old german cars=best cars

• Locked thread