Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

googootiger posted:

I was sitting in Penn station recently waiting to meet up with a friend really bored with nothing to do. Being there for a couple hours I noticed a recorded message plays on repeat about once every five minutes. It's a very stern woman's voice warning passengers that they must have their luggage secured at all times. She goes on to say that luggage may be searched at any time and k-9 units conduct regular walks through the terminal and that you are not permitted to pet them. It ends with, and I poo poo you not, "If you see something, say something. And remember....Stay safe."

Like, its a little thing I suppose, but does that just seem not normal to anyone else? It's something I expect to hear in a campy 80s movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

hmm yes it would seem you are becoming more keen of the real world around you my brother

soon you'll realize thoughs delicious hotdogs you feast on daily as you go about your business are made of hog b-holes and foreskins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp
*puts on They Live glasses*

oh poo poo everything's gay. I have to tell the world.

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013
Stay safe k-9 ghost

googootiger
Nov 24, 2014

by XyloJW

Plafop posted:

*puts on They Live glasses*

oh poo poo im gay. I have to tell the world.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

googootiger posted:

I was sitting in Penn station recently waiting to meet up with a friend really bored with nothing to do. Being there for a couple hours I noticed a recorded message plays on repeat about once every five minutes. It's a very stern woman's voice warning passengers that they must have their luggage secured at all times. She goes on to say that luggage may be searched at any time and k-9 units conduct regular walks through the terminal and that you are not permitted to pet them. It ends with, and I poo poo you not, "If you see something, say something. And remember....Stay safe."

Like, its a little thing I suppose, but does that just seem not normal to anyone else? It's something I expect to hear in a campy 80s movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

You need to find your inner strength so that no matter how alienating and dystopian the world becomes you will still feel in control.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Like even as recently as ten years ago it would have been weird and nerdy to spend all day on the internet. Now everybody does it! Something's going on here.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

googootiger posted:

Oh, its just that?

pretty much yeah

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

yea.. imo its like stephen king's dark tower books.. everything is unraveling....

the cosmic fear is settling in

googootiger
Nov 24, 2014

by XyloJW

the black husserl posted:

Like even as recently as ten years ago it would have been weird and nerdy to spend all day on the internet. Now everybody does it! Something's going on here.

some things never change..

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013
The thing is op, it's actually completely amazing that there are parts of the world where humans aren't constantly killing each other or committing atrocities in general. Like, that's the default way that things usually go throughout most of history, so the lady's voice is just doing it's part trying to get us not to regress back to those lovely times (lol it's happening anyway disembodied lady)

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

the black husserl posted:

Yeah it's called progress.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

Prallax Litovsk posted:

The thing is op, it's actually completely amazing that there are parts of the world where humans aren't constantly killing each other or committing atrocities in general. Like, that's the default way that things usually go throughout most of history, so the lady's voice is just doing it's part trying to get us not to regress back to those lovely times (lol it's happening anyway disembodied lady)

It's nice we don't really have to worry about the neighboring tribe invading us and castrating us and making us watch as they rape our women. That used to be a pretty big concern.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

CARCOSA CARCOSA

THE YELLOW KING

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Plafop posted:

It's nice we don't really have to worry about the neighboring tribe invading us and castrating us and making us watch as they rape our women. That used to be a pretty big concern.

yeah stuff like that doesnt happen any more. were civilized enough to just obliterate the whole town and its inhabitants in a tenth a second.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

the world is messed up but it hasn't gotten that way. in fact it's actually a lot better than ever in many ways

america's totalitarian security state poo poo isn't new and even if we went full blown fascist we wouldn't be the first country to do so and in all likelihood would not be the last

tldr:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

googootiger
Nov 24, 2014

by XyloJW

shouldnt this book be titled "jacking off in a dark room"

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Welcome. Welcome to City 17. You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers. I thought so much of City 17 that I elected to establish my administration here, in the Citadel so thoughtfully provided by our benefactors. I've been proud to call City 17 my home. And so, whether you are here to stay, or passing through on your way to parts unknown - welcome to City 17. It's safer here.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

naem posted:

2009 was a really hosed up year for me, had to completely start from scratch. Haven't fully recovered yet

same

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i graduated college in 2009 lol. probably the worst time to be a college graduate in history

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

babypolis posted:

i graduated college in 2009 lol. probably the worst time to be a college graduate in history

same except i dropped out in 2009 lol

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

my life went to hell starting in 05 but I'm nowhere near dumb enough to think the world in general isn't at least a little better now than it was then

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Plafop posted:

Yeah it's called progress.

i just want to live in the oculus rift and gently caress my anime babe already

googootiger
Nov 24, 2014

by XyloJW

Feranon posted:

my life went to hell starting in 05 but I'm nowhere near dumb enough to think the world in general isn't at least a little better now than it was then

whats improved

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

its safe here op, im secure beneath the watchful eyes. join us

googootiger
Nov 24, 2014

by XyloJW

lonesomedwarf posted:

its safe here op, im secure beneath the watchful eyes. join us

im gay

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo has always been hosed up and arguably is less hosed up now more than ever (on average) compared to previous eras in history

you're just becoming more aware of it and/or the ruling class is not trying as hard because most people are too busy watching celebrities to care

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

poo poo has always been hosed up and arguably is less hosed up now more than ever (on average) compared to previous eras in history

you're just becoming more aware of it and/or the ruling class is not trying as hard because most people are too busy watching celebrities to care

i would disagree in the sense that climate change, resource shortages, nuclear weapons and the coming era of advanced biogenetics and technology up the stakes in ways without precedent

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah that's true

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

:mason::mason:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
civilization is due to collapse again. WAKE UP PEOPLE! the frog people in charge are everywhere!

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Everything's all...floamy. Nothing's clicking tick tick tick, with too many ridges. I try to say what needs to be but it just doesn't make the synapse because everything is empty. There's no form anymore. The world has become a husk of a shadow of a memory of a ghost's dream. The cosmic epoxy is heating up, its too fast, its getting loose. The fabric has changed some how, since June 2004 the make-up has all gone away and come back changed from some other place.

Help me

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

Gaunab posted:

civilization is due to collapse again. WAKE UP PEOPLE! the frog people in charge are everywhere!

frogs are chill though and they just want us to chill too :byob:

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

googootiger posted:

whats improved

my internets a bit faster, worth it imo

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
I actually remember the early 2000s being v hosed up. Everyone was openly fascist and racist for at least 3 years after 9/11.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah OP I just clicked on the forums and it looks like the font got bigger.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think the actual hosed up things will be kept from us until the day they happen..oil shortage, the terrorist attack that got through, another financial crash. But sitting outside the US right now you've gotta understand how insulated the country is. The authorities will do their job to keep order. Have a go-bag ready just in case. Have a plan for the day something happens..where's your money? What can you afford to take, what can you lose. No ones going to help you there.

Just saying. There really could be some real bad poo poo on the horizon and no ones talking about it because it would create panic, it's happened before. But at the same time the US is very organized and resilient. Sorry for the post waffling thanks for reading. Also you can get a huge waffle with syrup on the street here in cambodia for the equivalent of 25 cents, think about that for a second. Why do you pay 8 dollars at IHOP.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

from the fall of the berlin wall to 9/11 was the pax americana its all downhill from here

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

googootiger posted:

ever since the late 2000s ive been slowly overcome by this pervasive sense that things just aren't....right. I cant tell if I'm projecting my own fears onto everything else, just getting older, or the world is getting slowly worse in a really creepy way. Has anyone else noticed this?

do you mean 2000 B.C. or are you just not paying attentino?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Long and short of it:

Earth is hosed

People in position to do anything more interested in protecting and shoring up their positions of power

Regular people brainwashed into thinking great times will last forever despite mounting evidence to contrary

Food and environment worse in quality in every respect

Basically give it 20 years there'll likely be a mass extinction event, do what you can to prevent it, if you care.

• Locked thread