Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Androc
Dec 26, 2008

The result of a failed attempt by his mother to sustain a dying relationship, Caleb's second-hand, ill-fitting clothing clearly marks him as an "economically underprivileged" admission; he certainly wasn't admitted on the strength of his transcript. As far back as he can remember, he's always felt as if there was something off about himself. Everyone else got it. They got how to do long division, they remembered that there was a test today, they knew what you're supposed to say when one of the other guys makes a funny-not-really joke at your expense. Caleb was always just that one step behind; he stuttered, he tripped, and puberty (when it finally arrived) hit him like a freight train. Others certainly seemed to share Caleb's opinion of himself, and life as the easiest target in middle school was almost boring in its routine cruelty.

Squaw Peak was never a possibility; high school was barely a possibility. It never even occurred to Caleb to apply, and he owes his admission to the last hail mary of a vexed guidance counselor. For once things went Caleb's way, and the arrival of the admission letter was hailed as nothing short of a miracle. Caleb's admission was a chance for a fresh start, a chance to try again in a place where he wouldn't be burdened by his past. Maybe this is where it all starts to make sense, where he becomes the kind of person he's always wanted to be and soothes the aching loneliness he knows more intimately than his own body.

What's the worst that could happen?

quote:

Name: Caleb Randolph
Look: Awkward, with sad eyes
Skin: The Mortal
Origin: Nobody

Stats
Hot: 1
Cold: -1
Volatile: 0
Dark: 1

Darkest Self
Nobody understands you, or even
wants to. They’d rather you disappear.
Well, you’re not going to disappear.
You’re going to make life a living hell
for them. You’ll betray the wicked
to the judges, the weak to the
executioners. You’ll pit humans and
supernaturals against one another,
until everyone looks like monsters.
Only seeing the pain that you’re
causing your lover will let you escape
your Darkest Self

Moves
True Love
You always have exactly one lover. The
first is chosen during your backstory. If
you ever fall in love with someone else
instead, give them a String and they
become your new lover. You always
carry 1 forward to earning your lover’s
heart or fancy.

Excuses Are My Armour
When you ignore some blatant
problem with your lover or how they
treat you, mark experience.

Down the Rabbit Hole
When you go poking your nose in
affairs not meant for your kind,
someone involved in the situation
gains a String on you, and you mark
experience

Androc fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

slydingdoor posted:

Caleb
SPA does not have daily bus service contracted out, everyone's parents or nannies pick them up and drop them off. Lifers, of course, walk or bike to school from their nearby mansions until they get their sports cars upon turning age 15. All that's well out of your reach: your mom, Katherine "Kitty" Randolph, works different shifts during the week and can't drive you to school most days. What do you have to do to get there? Take Phoenix's lovely mass transit as far as it will go and walk the rest, showing up an hour early or an hour late? Luck into a carpool that will drive that far south? Hide out nearby at night, sleep on the streets and walk back the next morning? Or something else?

It turns out that one of the older kids who used to pick on Caleb is also going to SPA. It also turns out that he's gotten his driver's license and that his mom and Caleb's mom are friends.

All that old bad stuff was years ago, right? He might have changed. Maybe.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

The Mortal Background posted:

Declare one person to be your lover. Give them three Strings on you. Take one String on them.

I think Christophe makes the most sense here, since desperate hangers-on are kinda his thing. ilootthecorpse, what are your thoughts?

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

ilootthecorpse posted:

I'm down with that. It kind of plays into his story and background because...

pre:
Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.
That seems like a definite fit.

pre:
You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.
I figure if Christophe and Caleb are involved then there has to be at least some secret sharing, so I'll give Caleb one String.

Sounds good. How would you want to characterize the relationship between Christophe and Caleb? How much does Caleb know, how mutual is it (vs Caleb just being a hanger-on or just thinking Christophe is cool from a distance), how intimate is it?

Androc fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 1, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

pre:
         [DrAL]
   A     B     C     D
1[    ][    ][    ][    ]
2[    ][    ][    ][    ]
3[CaRa][    ][    ][    ]
4[    ][    ][    ][    ]
Not in the back row to avoid being written off as a troublemaker, but otherwise as unobtrusive and unnoticeable of a seat as Caleb can manage. Plus, it's right next to the window. Caleb likes looking at the greenery outside.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Should I have added some NPCs? The guy Caleb catches a ride with could theoretically be sitting near him. Though, he probably wouldn't want to.

I think things are coming to a head with Ricard, Volatile is highlighted.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb
Caleb tries not to give anything away during his brief, absolutely-platonic conversation with Lola (who he's pretty sure doesn't like him anyway) before slumping back down into his chair with a sigh. Why did these sorts of things always happen to him? Maybe he could find some excuse to stick around after school and take public transit home, that might give Dax some time to forget about it.

Caleb considered his options carefully.

Would it be possible to either move Caleb forward a row or Christophe back a row so they're adjacent? Speaking of which, Caleb might ask Christophe for a ride, but first we should get this straightened out:

Androc posted:

Sounds good. How would you want to characterize the relationship between Christophe and Caleb? How much does Caleb know, how mutual is it (vs Caleb just being a hanger-on or just thinking Christophe is cool from a distance), how intimate is it?

pre:
Name	Harm	HLts	Strings: PC|NPC							Conditions
CAL	0/4	HC	cass, cris2,							none, yet

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb
"Oh!" Caleb is suddenly startled out of his reverie. "Um, yeah! Sure! Would it be alright if I invited Christophe?"

Poor Caleb wears his heart on his sleeve, and he doesn't even know it. When Christophe, so cool and in control, began showering him with attention, he was star-struck. He's become something of a hanger-on of Christophe, and follows him with a sort of puppydog affection that's a little bit more than purely platonic, not that Caleb has realized that yet. Christophe has, and shamelessly uses it as another means to manipulate him.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb
After Ricard moves on, Caleb slides out of chair. Sure, Dax is still an rear end in a top hat, but everyone else in high school seems so friendly. Maybe things are gonna be alright after all.

A bit of that infectious energy colors his voice when he asks, "hey Christophe, there's this party that Ricard is hosting at the Golden Calf. It sounds like fun, do you want to come?"

Rolling to Turn On, since Caleb is being all cheerful and confident, 11.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb

"Oh, yeah, you should definitely come! But, uh" Caleb thinks fast on how to avoid getting stuffed into a locker, "I mean, why not invite him too, right? Cause I mean, you know how Dax gets..."

He fakes a laugh. Badly.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb
"Uh, well, you know... it would be rude not to invite him if you're coming, right? I mean, I hear the food there is supposed to be really good, he wouldn't want to miss out."

It's a bullshit dodge, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Now that Caleb thought about it, though, Lola always had seemed particularly sensitive about efforts by her family or brother to cut her off from others. Maybe there was something there.

Hold steady; ask a question (what does Lola think of her brother?) and gain 'terrified'.

Androc fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 1, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Scene change soon? I think all of the ongoing threads within this scene have pretty much been resolved.

Speaking of which, if people can quote who they're responding to, that would be really helpful as far as tracking things; it can get a bit difficult to follow in a scene like this with lots of NPCs.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb

Taking advantage of his spot near the end of the crowd coming out of the locker room, Caleb slides into a spot on Christophe's team. He also gestures to Ricard and Lola to try to get them on his team.

Dodge ball fills him with familiar dread, but it might not be so bad with friends on his side for a change.

Sure, Ricard doesn't like Christophe, but does he really want to be the guy that pelts the awkward kid with dodgeballs? Turn On at 8. Assuming Ricard joins his team, that seems like a good way to rid himself of the narcissist condition.

I don't think I require a roll for Lola here, but let me know if I'm wrong.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Doesn't Ricard have to decide his response to Turn On before teams are final?

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

The intent was Ricard (since he can still choose whether to actually be on Caleb's team or not, and might not due to not liking Christophe), but if one is merited for Lola as well, here you go: 7.

Or did you mean that Ricard wasn't a valid target in the first place?

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Fair enough. Is Lola's response just giving something Caleb wants by joining his team?

ilootthecorpse posted:

Christophe
Sort of a break in the seriousness of the rest of the day. He dashed forward towards a lightly defended side and snatched up two balls. On his way back he nimbly jumped over a shot aimed at his legs, then tossed one of his two rubber balls to Caleb with a smile.
Caleb
Caleb catches the ball with a grin, then narrowly scrambles out of the way of a shot. He isn't quite athletic, but he's quick enough on his feet; acting mostly on reflex, Caleb pegs the ball at Li.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb

"CATCH!"

Taking advantage of Li's sudden distraction, Caleb wings a dodgeball straight at the center of his body. Unfortunately his aim is off and it bounces off Ricard's head, sending him staggering.

"Oh, sh... Sorry!" His apology is sincere, but Caleb isn't quite able to hide his happiness at actually getting somebody out at dodgeball when he turns away and high-fives Christophe.

Shutting down Ricard; Ricard gains the condition "styled on by an awkward nerdling" and Caleb gains the condition "twerp."

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb

Caleb jerks away from the strike in shock spinning on Christophe with a look of confusion that lingers just a beat longer than the situation warrants. He suddenly seems to remember where he is, and his face goes beet-red. He walks to the sideline as directed.

...And then speeds up, making a break for the door!

Caleb wants to peace out and he wants to do it yesterday. On a 9 to Run Away, he is absolutely causing a big scene.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb

Caleb runs without thinking and ends up behind a rarely used stairway. His clothes. Of course he'd forgotten his clothes, and his backpack too. He couldn't go to his next class like this, and he couldn't just cut school- he'd never done it in his life, and Mom would kill him if he got an absence on his record right after barely being accepted to Squaw Peak in the first place. It was his own fault, thinking that he could get through even a single day without becoming a loving laughingstock. And Christophe, why would he do that? Did he actually plan on setting Caleb up just to humiliate him this entire time?

Caleb sat against the wall, arms wrapped around his skinny legs, and tried very hard to think only of the dirt he stared at.

Gaze into the Abyss at 10.

Androc fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 12, 2015

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb

Caleb grits his teeth. Maybe he would never be like the others, but he'd make it up twice over in stubbornness if he had to. Rising to his feet, he makes his way back to the boy's locker room through the side door and slips in after almost all of the others leave. Avoiding eye contact with the few stragglers he rips his own open, changing as fast as possible.

Androc fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 2, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

ilootthecorpse posted:

Christophe

"Oh. Hey Johnny. What's up?" Chris spits out a mouth full of water and squints at his company with one eye while he tries to wash the lather out of his hair. He listens to John's concerns, if not in terrible detail, while he finishes up with his scrub. By the time John is done lamenting Chris shuts off the water and grabs his towel. Instead of wrapping it around his waist he pats the water off of his face and then simply drapes it over one shoulder, walking nude as the day he was born out towards the lockers.

Christophe stops at his locker, standing right beside John, and gives him a little shrug. "You just gotta keep at it, man. That Cassie girl is going to put up a tough front, but she is definitely into you. She just also likes getting attention from more than one guy. I mean, can you blame her? What about you? I bet you're the same way." Chris begins to wipe down his body, stripping away the water in long strokes starting at his chest and moving all the way down to his toes. He looks over John with an appraising eye, holding back a smile but letting a little twitch lift the corner of his lips. Was he checking John out? "You're a hot guy. Don't tell me that Cassie is the only girl with your number, because I'll call bullshit. Just make her want it. You know how to do that, don't ya Johnny? Tease her a little bit. Get her worked up and leave her hanging. Make her hungry for it." At some point Chris had moved closer. Dangerously close. He was practically right under John's nose, and his flattering words were so sweet. So convincing. "I bet you know how to show somebody a good time..."

Turn Him On: 2d6-1 9. Right, so John gets to make a choice: he can either make me a promise he thinks I want (ie. Butting heads with Ric over Cassie), give himself to me and gain one of my String from the Connoisseur (and maybe get recruited for the Dark Side), or be lame and boring and just give me a String.

Caleb
Caleb changes as quickly as he can in a corner of the locker room. Hearing approaching footsteps, he shrinks back into an alcove, but recognizes one of the voices as Christophe. Unable to quell his curiosity, he leans out into the main room and sees Christophe speaking to John, naked, and suddenly leaning in far too close.

Back in middle school, Caleb once got food poisoning from a hot dog. He spent three days vomiting and couldn't even hold down water, to the point where he had to be put on IVs. The feeling was pretty similar to what he's feeling right now, though now there's this added tightness in his chest. Christophe finishes his conversation and turns to see Caleb standing, thunderstruck, having obviously seen everything.

Caleb swallows. "Christophe? What was...?"

Androc fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 2, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Would it be possible for Caleb to not see Li? I feel like he and Christophe sort of need to have a moment, especially after what Christophe did earlier.

Androc fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 2, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Right, but I'm saying that from the perspective of a player. As a character, Caleb would definitely not ignore a dude who is straight-up vomiting blood, because what the hell.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb

"Oh, I thought you were... and then you were getting up pretty close to..." Caleb glances over at John, obviously not comfortable with having this conversation with him present. He wavers for a moment, then breaks.

"Uh, nevermind. Sorry, I'm still kinda tired from dodgeball. See you later?" Without really waiting for a response, Caleb turns to go. On his way out, he glances to the side and stops cold.

"Oh my gosh!" He rushed forward to Li and Mike, "what's going on? Is he okay?"

Mark xp for Excuses Are My Armor.

slydingdoor posted:

(9:31:35 AM) Capfalcon: Putting off an important conversation until later because of crazy horror right in front of you is probably like the first rule of Teen Horrors.

That said, I edited.

That's... actually a fair point. Oh well, too late now. :v:

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb

Caleb glances at Li. "Man, what happened? I got that he had some kind of diabetic thing, but what was with all the blood? He didn't look like he'd hit his head..."

e: I really need to start refreshing before posting. Also, taking the 'entrenched' move as an advance.

Androc fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 2, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb
"Dang, you sure you didn't break it?" Caleb peers closely at Li's nose. "Well, it looks fine. Which is... kind of amazing, actually, I mean," Caleb gestures to all the blood on the floor, "I used to get nosebleeds sometimes and I've never, ever seen this much come out. You sure you don't want to go to the nurse? I can walk you in case you pass out or something. I mean I'd practically expect you to if you'd lost... this much blood..."

He gets an odd expression on his face. "You know, it's weird that Mike would forget his insulin or whatever, isn't he usually pretty on top of that?"

Androc fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 2, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

I was going to wait for Li's response but yeah, that was the intent.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb

Caleb goes slack and stares blankly as Li speaks. When he's finished, Caleb blinks slowly and then manages to focus his eyes again- on Li. With a start, he comes back to life.

"Anyway, like I was saying, I gotta get to lunch. See you around!" And just like that he's off, his mind filling in a meaningless, detail-less conversation that never happened.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb
Caleb spends a few minutes hovering around the cafeteria looking for Christophe before he sees his back heading out the door. Oh, well, he's probably going to the library or something- a smart guy like him must study a lot.

He catches movement out of the corner of his eye and turns, spotting Ricard. "Oh, hey!" Caleb calls out, walking towards him without noticing his focus on Li, "Ricard, I wanted to apologize about earlier. I was trying to hit Li, but, well..." he smiles nervously, "I guess you've probably figured I'm not that good at dodgeball. So, yeah, I'm really sorry about hitting you, that was my bad. Oh, uh," he seems to notice Li for the first time, "nothing personal about aiming at you. But I'd agreed not to hit Ricard."

Turn On Ricard for 10, 9 with the effects of Ricard's gang. Possibly lose the 'twerp' condition for making a proper apology.

Androc fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 3, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb

"Oh, ah... thanks, man." Caleb may lack particularly refined social graces, but there is such a thing as coming on too strong; he seems eager to change the subject. "What's the deal between you and Christophe, anyway? I didn't know you even knew each other, and you said you didn't want to be on his team."

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

BallisticClipboard posted:

Ricard
"He's been here since middle school. From the word go, strange rumors surrounded him. You wouldn't know because you're new but the people he worked with, none of them are here any more. Every 'apple of his eye' left the school. The people around him try to forget those who didn't make it. Today, he was trying to start things with my team. Alex is stuck cleaning the quad thanks to him. As far as I'm concerned, he's not a good kid. I just don't want to see another person disappear."

Caleb
"Wh- disappeared? You've got to be kidding me. Is this one of those joke traditions like when seniors tell freshmen there's a pool on the roof?"

It was just such a bizarre accusation to make; rumors are a part of high school, sure, but what could possibly make Ricard try to suggest that Christophe was, what, a serial killer? Caleb resolved to ask Christophe about it later.

Shut down Ricard, but it's a miss.

Androc fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 3, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb
Caleb went pale. He'd been on the receiving end of what was about to happen far too many times to not recognize it. If anything, he should have considered himself lucky that it was someone else for a change. But he thought back on the day so far; on how he'd run away and had seen Christophe leaning in close to someone else. Was it any surprise that people would drift away from a coward?

Well. Maybe high school was going to be different.

"Hey, I..."

The moment hung.

"...'m thirsty too. I should come with you guys."

Close enough.

Holding steady on a 9! Caleb does not lose his cool.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb
"No, that's fine, I'd rather-" Caleb tries to get up and doesn't budge, "see them for myself, I mean I haven't seen the vending machines here and let me GO!" he braces his feet on the floor and tries to force his way up; Cedric pushes sideways instead of down and both Caleb and his chair tumble over backwards.

Caleb scrambles to his feet, breathing heavily and just slightly shaking. "Would you guys just knock it off? Everyone can see you're just being a bunch of bullies!" His voice comes out halfway between a plead and a whine, seasoned with all the subtlety of an after-school special. There's a beat of silence as everyone just stares at him before the inevitable laughter.

Caleb's cheeks burn. Nice job, idiot.

Another attempt to hold steady, this time with a miss.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb

Caleb gives a sort of startled grunt as he's grabbed from behind, and then... Okay, this was getting really weird, really fast. He pulls out of the circle more roughly and abruptly than is probably warranted.

"Is this some kind of joke to you guys? They're about to beat the hell out of someone, why are you just standing there?"

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb

Caleb manages to break free of the senior circle and, lacking any better ideas, gives chase to Ricard, his gang, and their unwilling captive. He's just in time to see Cassie suddenly go strange and take a swing at Ricard's gang, sending them scrambling. Is she really standing up to, what, three people on somebody else's behalf? Is she actually winning? That shouldn't be possible, that...

...That's kind of awesome, actually. Caleb wonders if she'd want to hang out sometime.

Down The Rabbit Hole, giving a string to Cassie.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb

Caleb gives a last glance towards Cassie but, gently caress it, she can very obviously handle herself and he'd done his good deed for the day.

"Works for me!"

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Green Bean posted:

"Look, I know we didn't do anything wrong, but right now I need to get somewhere where we can sit down in private and figure this out." Lì took both of Caleb's hands in his, and their faces were so close together that Lì felt Caleb's breath on him. Lì looked into Caleb's eyes, like a human being this time. "Please."

Turn Someone On: 2d6+3 15

Lì takes a string on Caleb, which he will immediately use to offer Caleb an XP to help him avoid security and faculty for now.

Caleb
Caleb looks away for a moment, whirring internally, then nods. "Yeah, you're right. I don't know what happened, and it's probably better to just lay low until we have a better idea. Nobody's ever in the back of the library, come on!" Caleb slips from his grasp, leading the way.

The back corner of the library is little-used largely due to its location; shelves block it off from any windows, and the only flourescent light directly above it has been burned out for a while. It's a great place to read if you love eye strain. "Okay, so," Caleb rubs his head, "you were closer than I was, so you probably got a better view of what happened. I couldn't actually tell- was Cassie just using her fingernails or was she holding something? Because she messed up those guys pretty bad."

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb

Caleb smiles sadly. "Yeah, I think I get where you're coming from. They probably wouldn't help much, anyway. Here, let me see..." He leans in to peer closely at Li's lip, gently moving Li's face with his hand to look from multiple angles.

"Well, I've definitely seen worse. The split's mostly on the inside, if you wash it out at the drinking fountain every now and then and don't open your mouth too wide, people probably won't notice. It's gonna be swollen by the time you get home if you don't put ice on it, but that's life for you."

Opening up a bit + getting in real close = Turn On for 8. Leveraging drained since the interaction is specifically about Li being in kind of a bad way, but even without it's still in the 7-9 range.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb

"Also, once you get home you'll probably want to get, like, a cotton ball and some hydrogen perommff??" Pure surprise is the first thing to register, and then Caleb feels far too many things at once to make any kind of sense of them. But he's pretty sure that 'bad' isn't one of them, and he doesn't pull away. When Li withdraws, the response that finally fights its way to the surface wins largely by brevity.

"Huh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Caleb
Caleb is blushing hard and very obviously still on the back foot. "Oh, yeah, no, that's totally fine, not gonna tell anyone. Just, uh. That whole thing, was that- I mean, do you... like me? And, I mean, it's cool either way! I'm just trying to, uh..."

God, why did he always sound like such an idiot?

• Locked thread