Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
While everyone was going nuts over the new Star Wars trailer featuring "R2Ball2" and "Hilted Light Sabres" this little nugget seemed to fly under the radar...

"HBO Will Make Asimov's Foundation With Interstellar's Jonathan Nolan" (click for article)

quote:

It looks like HBO is teaming up with Interstellar writer and Person Of Interest showrunner Jonathan Nolan to adapt the highly revered and beloved Foundation books into a TV series. Wow.

The Wrap is reporting that Jonathan Nolan will be working with HBO for yet another series. The Interstellar writer is currently working on a TV adaptation of Westworld for HBO, and now he has allegedly turned his attention towards the groundbreaking work of Isaac Asimov's Foundation. . .

If you're not familiar with the series, it started with some short stories that Sci-Fi visonary (and muttonchop enthusiast) Issac Asimov wrote in the 40/50's that evolved into the first three books, then another three. Basically, a maths wizard discovers that the Galactic Empire is going to fall apart in about 500 years, then after that there will be a dark age of anarchy that would last 30,000 years. BUUUUUUT! If his intrepid band of autists have their way and work on their lame version of Wikipedia, it will only last 1,000 years!

So, HBO a network known for Gritty series with tons of violence, sex, and quirky humour wants to tackle a book series that has possibly 4 witnessed deaths, possibly two instances of nudity, and pretty much zero action/violence. So how the hell are audiences going to bridge the gap between the premise being set up in the first episode or two and the topless asian planet?

Foundation Trilogy Timeline:

Hari figures out the Galactic empire is Rome on the downward slope.
He sets up a colony of nerds to write an encyclopedia on a backwards planet.
They trade with some savages.
They start a science religion.
They send out traders to do business.
An impotent Jeff Goldblum takes over the galaxy.
Some nerd guys with mind powers turn him retard.
Things go back to normal.
The old empire in its death throes tries to destroy the nerds, but fails.
A ditzy chick makes a guy decide if the galaxy will be run by book nerds, mind nerds, or the matrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
At long last proper sci fi where the smart nerds beat the jock barbarians in their own arena of political posturing nyer nyer

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You know what, I think Nolan is actually a pretty good fit for this particular set of books.

Harime Nui posted:

At long last proper sci fi where the smart nerds beat the jock barbarians in their own arena of political posturing nyer nyer

Exactly, this is Extremely Nolan's poo poo.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Blistex posted:

A ditzy chick makes a guy decide if the galaxy will be run by book nerds, mind nerds, or the matrix.

These books were extremely bad, although the extrapolations of the Spacer worlds' futures were kind cool.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

cool books and not tits very cool cool awesome

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
only the first foundation book was any good

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Neurosis posted:

a hard truth

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Neurosis posted:

Oh come on! How could you not love the book with awkward sexualized hair touching, or poison Asian nipple planet, or "Hari Seldon lives in the Ghetto".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is a good fit for Nolan because it allows him to dig deep into his elitist and vaguely classist sensibilities about how people like him know what's best for everyone in spite of what "they" say. I wonder which lead actor that vaguely resembles Nolan himself they'll get for it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

mind the walrus posted:

This is a good fit for Nolan because it allows him to dig deep into his elitist and vaguely classist sensibilities about how people like him know what's best for everyone in spite of what "they" say. I wonder which lead actor that vaguely resembles Nolan himself they'll get for it.

There isn't even a main actor in the first book. It's just a bunch of different guys for a chapter, with the odd cameo by Seldon.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Issac Asimov is poo poo and so are all his novels. He's the tolkien of science fiction.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Jim Barris posted:

Issac Asimov is poo poo and so are all his novels. He's the tolkien of science fiction.

woah that is quite the opinion

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

you're the hitler of GBS

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

a bone to pick posted:

you're the hitler of GBS

I'm the Citizen Kane of Hitlers

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jim Barris posted:

Meh, 3/10 you're acting like any nerd familiar enough with Asimov and Tolkein isn't also familiar enough with bullying to know when they're being baited or not.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
topless asian planet?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Move thread to TV/IV then ban everyone who posts in TV/IV

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Arthur C Clark's Naked Boy Mysteries

Pillow Clerk
Oct 18, 2008

Harime Nui posted:

I'm the Citizen Kane of Hitlers

I'm the Rosebud of the Citizen Kane of the Planet of the Hitlers.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I can't wait to see what kind of fixes HBO brings in for these problems.

Also: the fact that all characters are the same.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

I can't wait to see what kind of fixes HBO brings in for these problems.

Also: the fact that all characters are the same.

Guy Pearce as Hari Seldon. Also Will Smith would make a great R. Daneel Olivaw.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ivor Biggun posted:

Guy Pearce as Hari Seldon. Also Will Smith would make a great R. Daneel Olivaw.

So basically Guy Pearce after the first chapter is a glorified X Box Live achievement. "Congratulations Foundation, you've levelled up!"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This is actually cool and good news, HBO is the only company that makes anything worth watching and even if this isn't very good it'll still be better than The Walking Dead or any other garbage drama on network TV.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope they throw out the location of the Second Foundation and actually do something cool and not dumb with it, though.

And keep The Mule a mystery for longer.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Did you guys know that Asimov had no idea what the gently caress he was doing and had a short notice meeting with his publisher, who wanted to know what he was working on, and he was reading Edward Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire at the time.

So he paraphrased what he was reading but set in sci fi times and thus he pitched 'Foundation' without having written poo poo yet.

He just brainstormed it because he was so loving lazy.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Big Beef City posted:

Did you guys know that Asimov had no idea what the gently caress he was doing and had a short notice meeting with his publisher, who wanted to know what he was working on, and he was reading Edward Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire at the time.

So he paraphrased what he was reading but set in sci fi times and thus he pitched 'Foundation' without having written poo poo yet.

Yeah well I don't see you inventing an entirely new field of mathematics to predict human behavior and drag us out of a thousand-year intellectual darkness.

e: I mean... I guess technically Asimov didn't do that either... he just talked about it... because he was so lazy

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

It's almost like he was just a really good and creative person and was able to make up something that changed literature forever on the spot.

The most bizarre aspect of Asimov was his hobby of molesting women in elevators.

Probably because he was too lazy to take them on dates and get them drunk up on wine and take them back home... lazy

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Asimov was the first goon.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
Asimov owns and if you unironically disagree with that you're a dumb idiot fucker toilet man.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Cool, click for ending spoilers: Asimov's Mary Sue is so much smarter than everybody else

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

MegaGatts posted:

Asimov owns and if you unironically disagree with that you're a dumb idiot fucker toilet man.

Wow, you seem really secure in your opinion of Asimov. This sci-fi stuff seems really interesting and worthwhile which is why only extremely undersocialized white males champion its greatness

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

foundation series is actually kinda poo poo past the 1st book

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Neurosis posted:

mm i should of read the thread before posting

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

foundation series is actually kinda poo poo past the 1st book

Yeah but Second Foundation inspired the bad guy in Looper and it's cool to have a mysterious snowballing of worlds going radio silent until you see all of their ships and people fighting for the other side

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The second book is okay if you don't read the third but when you find out what the mule is/where he comes from it's extremely gay

e: The sequel to Forever War, written by Joe haldeman, is about as lame. They go to the outer edge of the galaxy and it turns in to some supernatural scifi stuff but then they end up going back to earth, visiting disney land and meeting god lmao

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 29, 2014

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Beef Turret posted:

Wow, you seem really secure in your opinion of Asimov. This sci-fi stuff seems really interesting and worthwhile which is why only extremely undersocialized white males champion its greatness

Cool man, I'm being totally sincere when I say lazy sarcasm is the only way humorless jerkoffs can try to be funny. Try out a real joke, you have one between your legs so you should have plenty of inspiration.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE that scene where it turns out r daneel olivaw has been robot puppetmastering everything from the loving burned out MOON is gonna be a real MINDFUCK for modern audiences!!!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
this is very much my poo poo op thanks

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I only got to the Mule book before I got bored of seeing how Asimov's Mary Sue character of the week would solve the problem by being ~so smart~

Foundation was poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Asimov + Nolan + TV Series + HBO

what can go wrong?

• Locked thread