Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009
This might be stupid question thread material, but I'm puzzled by a couple of junk yard damage codes for wheels:

quote:

RTS;B,RF,SURFACE SCRATCH,2S1

I'm guessing RF is right front (although I don't know why that'd matter on a wheel), surface scratch is self explanatory and I take 2S1 to mean that the face of the wheel (location 2) has a scratch (s) of one credit card size or less (1).

What I don't get is RTS;B - any clue what that would mean? It's not a color code as far as I can tell.

I also don't know what LR means here:

quote:

2S1,LR

Also if someone thinks buying salvage OEM alloys for snow tires is a terrible idea because they will likely never balance or something, please stop me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

mafoose posted:

Is your car particularly rare? If not, I'd just look on craigslist for OEM wheels. Junkyards seem to charge a lot for OEM alloys, especially if it's a high end brand.

It's a Saabaru. I'd be fine with Subaru alloys but I'm having a hard time finding people who will sell a full set in decent condition without tires. The Saabaru OEM wheels are non existant on CL/ebay, they'd probably be around $350 from a junkyard.

I might just go with steel, but I have a hard time lifting alloy wheels as it is - I have a bad back so I was trying to save as much weight as I can, especially since the tires are beasts.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Also, you can have female friends without wanting to bang them you know.

I think this is the biggest lie guys tell themselves. There seem to be three kinds of attitudes men take to women they're friends with:

1) I actively want to bang you
2) I don't think about banging you, but I would, given the right circumstances
3) I'm not attracted to you

blk
Dec 19, 2009

bandman posted:

(she's a gymnastics instructor)

You are doing this right.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Picked up a set of OEM Saabaru alloys from the junk yard yesterday (they had been sent from a different location), got home and unwrapped them and they are definitely not in the A 000 condition that they were listed as on car-part. Deep chips and scratches everywhere, some weird paint-bubbling/corrosion happening near the center on a couple that I thought was impossible on alloys, big chunk missing from one of the rims that would prevent a good tire mount, etc. I'm going to take them back tomorrow and I know it's going to be a struggle getting my money back, and getting it in full without some bullshit restocking fee.

It may fall under credit card protection of "goods not delivered" as they are definitely not in the condition described, in which case I could dispute and request a chargeback if all else fails.

Ugh.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

At this point the only way I'll be getting another girlfriend is if she somehow wanders out of the woods into my yard/garage while I'm wrenching on something and decides to stick around. I'm putting no effort into it anymore, don't really feel like exposing my many neuroses and flaws upon another person anyways.

The minute you stop looking, one will fall in your lap. That's how I found the good ones, anyways (and the one I married).

blk
Dec 19, 2009
You also can't record cops in Illinois now, from what I've heard.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I just had a lovely thought - What if AI had a white elephant party with lovely cars as the gifts?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Should I take the short way or the long way back to the shop? Okay, long way it is then!

BTW, is your name a reference to Nickolodeon's Guts?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Santa ?!?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm trying to plan out a home purchase and man, it makes cars look cheap. Houses around good [public high] schools here run 250/sq ft at a minimum, most closer to 350 or more. That is roughly the same price per sq ft of ground occupied as a used Porsche Cayman.

blk fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 21, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Fucknag posted:

So i f I mix orange juice, vodka and club soda, is that conceptually closer to a mimosa or a screwdriver?

Screwdriver, but skip the vodka and OJ if you're wanting to sip; get a bottle of Cocchi Americano (shouldn't be more than 20 bucks) and mix with soda. It is loving delicious and a lot classier than the two sorority girl drinks you mentioned.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Hendrick's is on another level - really fabulous with good tonic, or neat, with or without cucumber

For gin + tonics I see why some people like Sapphire, I usually go with Beefeater's or Tanq 10 because I like more citrus flavor in my G+Ts. Lots of gins are interchangeable here depending on whether you like drier gin or something with more of a bouquet, there is no wrong answer.

For gin-based cocktails like proper martinis and classy old-school European drinks, there is a wrong answer. The right answer is something more neutral like plain Bombay (red label) - it blends nice with everything. It will also do in G+Ts in a pinch.

I keep Hendrick's and Bombay on hand.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Titos is the only vodka I will drink.

I'm not really into vodka, but I do like Tito's a lot more than the other stuff.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

(the sign on the back says "I like white ladies 2"

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Just watched a Wheeler Dealers episode with an Audi TT and holy gently caress what a packaging nightmare @_@

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Ugh, I hate filling up at Costco. Been stuck in line for 10 minutes and the way the attendants are moving it looks like it will be another 5. I wish we could pump our own here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

It's not a habit, it's cool
I feel alive
If you don't have it your on
the other side

You just scored blk points; one of my favorite songs from the 90s that nobody else seems to remember.

• Locked thread