Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Protocol7 posted:

I put air in my tires last week and my fronts are already starting to look flat again. What the hell? I better not have a leak in both.

Has the temperature changed dramatically?

My wife's Fiesta is down to 25psi in all four tires. I really need to fill those up.

On that note, does anybody know of a good cheap 110V air compressor for filling tires? I don't want an actual shop compressor (well I do, but I'm going to get a good one when the time comes) and all the electric ones I find seem to be 12V. My experience with those is that they're slow as hell. I just want something I can plug into the wall and top my tires off so I don't have to go to a gas station and pay $1.00 in quarters every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I noticed part of my roof looks like poo poo all of a sudden. It wasn't like that a week ago. How bad does it look from this (terrible) angle?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

That roof needs to be replaced, but it appears that you biggest problem right now is that vent. If you can't do the whole thing right now you can at least probably stop the leaking by pulling up the shingles around it, sealing the vent and putting on some new (no way they will be even close to matching so don't even try) shingles. Then deal with the rest when it's not cold out.

I don't know that it's leaking. I don't have any access above the ceiling on that section of the house. I suspect it was an addition. There haven't been any water spots on the ceiling, though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of sleeping disorders, does anybody else occasionally have sleep paralysis?

I've read that it happens when the part of your brain that controls your motor skills falls asleep, but your conciousness and awareness lags behind. It creates some really goddamn terrifying sensations - laying there, feeling like your chest is constricting, unable to move or yell or anything, for what seems like hours.

One time I decided to roll with it and maybe I'd fall asleep, and holy poo poo never again. It felt like I was slipping into an endless abyss.

I'm usually able to break free if I struggle enough, and according to my wife it just looks like I'm laying there whimpering softly. It feels like I'm loving dying though.

I've learned not to sleep on my back, and that has helped a lot. It rarely happens anymore.

Tell me I'm not the only one.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Fart Pipe posted:

I dont get paralysis but I get brain explosions. Right as Im about to fall asleep Ill get a huge noise/light explosion in my head and it wakes me right up. Goes quite nicely with my horrible insomnia.

My wife gets this sometimes, very rare though. I never would have believed "exploding head syndrome" was a thing until I looked it up a long time ago.

I don't know which is worse, I can only confirm that sleep paralysis is absolutely loving terrifying beyond belief.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Wally Joyner posted:

I feel like I'm in the minority here since I sleep relatively well. I do smoke a lot of damned reefer though, and that seems to suppress my dreaming. When I am on a break from smoking my dreams are very vivid then. Sleep paralysis sounds frightening; can you be 'awakened' from it if someone shook you like trying to disturb a normal rest?

Edit; I can remember a handful of times where, in a dream, I tripped and woke up trying to brace my fall. That must have looked hilarious.

I've done that several times. I think it happens to everybody.

I know when I'm having an episode, I try desperately to make it known that I'm in trouble. It feels very much like I'm having a heart attack - trouble breathing, constricted chest - and it's come out as whimpers, but by that point I'm coming out of it. There's no way to let anybody know you're having an episode while you're having an episode, without an EKG machine or something I think.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Stealth Like posted:

Now if I get it while I'm falling asleep I have to fight it or I feel super hosed up. If I get it once I will get it over and over again that night until I get up and walk around for a few minutes. It's a lot worse than getting it when I wake up.

I've only ever gotten it when I'm falling asleep, and every time I get it it feels like I can't breathe. I'm always breathing fine in reality, but my half-asleep brain becomes absolutely terrified. The one time I tried to let it wash over me, thinking I'd just slip off into sleep, it quickly became exponentially worse.

It only happens a few times a year, usually accompanied by stress.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Stealth Like posted:

Yep that's what it's like for me too when I get it falling asleep. I feel like I'm being compressed and there's a loud humming sound. Super unsettling.

I've never had any noise with mine, though I understand it's pretty common.

Brains are pretty hosed up sometimes.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Hahahaha so here at work, one of out major chassis suppliers communicated a major change that they'd like to make. It'd require us to redesign some components, retest some items, etc...

Turns out it's something they're looking into doing 15-20 years in the future.

I think I'll schedule some meetings 14 years in the future to follow up on this. :v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Here's a positive thing: NASA is launching a test Orion rocket:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/4/7331859/nasa-orion-spacecraft-launch

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
You guys know how I deal with what would otherwise be crippling depression? An even more crippling, intense, overwhelming nihilism. :v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
2014 sucked.
let us all hope and pray that
next year blows instead.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man me too, though it sounds like they're all spoken for. If there's any more in the future I'd be all over it. I'll try it in my chili.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Yeah so Sin City: a Dame to Kill For wasnt the best choice to watch last night given my current situatuon :v:

I watched Smokey and the Bandit yesterday (and bought a Trans Am in GT6 and modded it enough to beat GT40s as my Snapchat buddies saw). Reliving my goddamn youth. Still one of my top movies.

I watched Judge Dredd on Saturday. :v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

If you must, but I hope you watched the 2012 Dredd movie afterwards.

Actually I watched that (for the first time) on Friday.

I like Judge Dredd. But then again, Demolition Man is one of my all-time favorite movies, so my tastes are probably suspect anyway.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

Demolition Man is a great movie, though.

drat right it is.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

My neighbor's house is about 15 years old. The previous owner stopped paying her mortgage in 2010 and she was dating a bankruptcy lawyer and he must have given her excellent advice, because it took until last year to get her out.

In 2010 there was a wind storm that ripped off a couple strips of siding on the West side of the house, showing the non-covered MDF underneath. It has been like that for years. In 2011 she had someone screw down the surrounding pieces of the siding so no more would rip off. During that "repair," the person up there hit the MDF with a hammer and it was so soft that it put two holes in the side. Birds moved into the house through those holes.

This year it came up for sale at a very reduced price from the bank. I took a look inside, but the holes in the MDF had allowed so much water into the structure that the upstairs bathroom wall was soaked and the kitchen below had water stains behind the cabinets. I factored a stripping of the wall in to my price to buy the house for a flip/rent, but it sold for more than I was willing to risk.

The new owner moved in in June and she just got the siding problem "fixed" today -- by taking siding from another part of the house and putting it where the missing pieces were. No MDF repair, nothing at all. So there won't be any more water getting in there, but the water that's in there won't get out, either...

Am I crazy for thinking that MDF exposed to the elements for nearly 5 years is going to be absolutely trashed and a breeding ground for mold and rot?

My sister-in-law's neighbor's house is worse, I think. There used to be a nice couple that lived there and ran a nursery. Then something happened, and everybody moved out. It's been vacant for a few years. Siding's coming off, the fence collapsed, and last time I was over there, the roof had partially caved in. I looked inside, and every appliance is gone - oven, fridge, even the countertops.

It was on the market before, but I don't think there's any salvaging it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I thought I was having a goddamn heart attack last night. I've gone to the doctor a number of times for chest pains and bad heartburn, and it's always something to do with acid reflux (something about proton inhibiters, I dunno, I've been on prevacid for years and it's helped but it's never gone away... I know when I miss a dose).

But holy poo poo last night it felt like I was having trouble breathing and I started panicking which made it worse.

I'm fairly certain it's stress related. I have such a metric poo poo-ton of stress right now it's hilarious. And usually I deal with it well enough but for some reason this time it's really impacting me physically.

It really doesn't help that I'm probably the brokest I've been in a long time (though I don't have much debt this time, yay!) and it's the holidays, and I've been suffering through some really goddamn gnarly depression lately for some reason.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Tusen Takk posted:

Oddly, I took a poo poo and it stopped. :shrug:

I'm pretty full of poo poo so maybe that'll help.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

angryhampster posted:

Have you tried omeprazole (Prilosec) instead of Prevacid? I've been using it for a few years with good success. Otherwise I have pretty severe stress (and diet)-related heartburn several times a week.

I actually recently switched from Prevacid to something similar, it didn't have an easy to remember name though so I don't know what it is. I can look when I get home. It's cheaper and seems to work just as well, and I've been on it for about two months now.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Tusen Takk posted:

Protonix/pantaprazole(sp?)?

Yeah I think that's it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I sent my E39's ABS module out for repair a couple of weeks ago

They sent the wrong loving module back. I couldn't figure out why the harness wouldn't connect.

What are the odds that I get back the one coded to my car? :(

I just want my car fixed :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Viggen posted:

Oh wow. This was autoxpress? Never had them fuckup like that. I assume you called 'em? It'd be really dumb on their part to not mark down this info. When I got back mine, the receipt had my serial on it, and it matched what I sent. Good luck with that.

Yeah it was them. I've sent them an email and left them a voicemail. If they can make this right I'll be fine, but if they sent somebody else my module I'm only hoping they'll get that one back quickly as well.

All I want for Christmas is a functional car :( As it is right now, my BMW's speedometer and odometer won't even work. At least before everything worked except the ABS and traction control.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ok so I am not completely crazy.

Also which is worse? A P38 range rover or a E32 750il?

The Range Rover.

I don't think the older BMW V12s are really that bad. Unlike Mercedes, their V12s are mostly two straight-sixes bolted together at the crank, so they use a lot of the same parts. Just... more of them. Like two ECUs.

There's a guy near me with a beautiful white one, and I lust after it often.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

cursedshitbox posted:

wrong. The M120 is a doubled M104.
Even has two ecus, and a can bus link between the two.
The unicorn parts are the left head, intake, and left exhaust manifold. the rest can be swapped between other engines of the era.

To go down a deep rabbit hole. AMG took the 3.2, and tossed the 3.5D diesel crank(with new rods, and a small overbore) in it, making the 3.6 in the C36.
They took the same spec sheet to turn the 6.0 into a 7.3 which is now used in Zondas.

The modular? Well. its a V6/V8 with a few extras.

Huh. I just seem to remember reading that they used special ignition coils and stuff like that. Is that not the case?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

cursedshitbox posted:

Modular v12. That thing is a piece of poo poo and shouldnt be mentioned.

those coils are 1500/ea used.

Speaking of mercedes. I sold mine. gently caress that thing.

I have become the -PO-

Ah, thats the one I was thinking of then. Goddamn. Gives glorious V12s a bad name.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Terrible Robot posted:

It's a drat shame we'll never get to see the new owner's (or the next one, whoever has to deal with it) reaction to your crank pulley "fix".

I demand a link to this.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I was pretty much bedridden all day yesterday with a nasty stomach bug. I barfed so violently I nearly passed out a couple of times, and I shat more times than I can count. Sometimes both at once :(

Of course I was feeling alright this morning so I had to go into work.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Adiabatic posted:

Toilet buckets are the best. I keep one in the bathroom closet for such simultaneous expulsion as you described.

I went through about three pair of boxers because I was puking and sharted mid-barf. :(

A few years ago my wife was making GBS threads, had to puke, and somehow passed out as she was shitpuking. She fell off the toilet as she was making GBS threads. So everything got everywhere and she woke up laying in it. It was both hilarious and disgusting at the same time. It was like 3am too.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

88h88 posted:

gently caress that. I hate when people who are ill come into work to spread their illnesses about.

STAY AT HOME, I DON'T WANT THAT.

I thought about that, but I have too much work to do.

*he types, as he plays on the forums*

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Also, Saturday I was gonna try to clean the Volvo's rear ABS sensor, since it's reading about 30x the resistance it should and is causing the ABS/TRAC to not work.

Hooray for rust! The sensor body was stuck in its housing and stayed there while the rest of it came off. What sucks is the Volvo, in their infinite wisdom, made the two rear sensors one harness that tucks up above (I believe) the gas tank.

I wonder if I can wire in a 1,000 ohm resistor and just trick the module into thinking that wheel is always dandy...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

Basically the signal from an ABS sensor (2 wire variety - 3 wire ones are Hall effect, and rather rare) is frequency and voltage variant. Both frequency and voltage increase as wheel speed increases. The system doesn't care about voltage as long as it's over a certain level so it triggers the input filtering circuit, but the frequency is very important, as it is linearly related with wheel speed. No signal means the wheel is stopped AKA skidding forever. The resistor might get rid of an open circuit malfunction code, but it won't get rid of the sensor signal missing code.

Ah. Makes sense. I know very little about automotive electronics.

It'd be a lot easier to grab a sensor from the junkyard and just cut the old one out and butt the new one in anyway. Assuming I can scrape the remnants of the old sensor out, anyway.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It won't be long now until they get Swery65 to do a Final Fantasy game so he can crank out a story of two best friends embarking on a roadtrip. Across the American Midwest they will discover more about themselves and each other than they ever thought possible.

Final Fantasy XVI: Oregon Trail

I wonder if a Remedy can cure Dysentry.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

blk posted:

BTW, is your name a reference to Nickolodeon's Guts?

DO YOU HAVE IT?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
c'mon guys, it's a play on words because "clue" and "two" rhyme. hit with a 2x4 but also getting a clue. get it?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

cursedshitbox posted:

I've never had to use credit in my life.

Turns out I can't move to SF because everybody wants a credit score of 700+.

I don't get it. Because I live debt free I'm not allowed to live somewhere? WHAT THE gently caress.

Murr'ca. If you're not going to live your life deeply in debt, we don't want you here.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ozmiander posted:

I LOVE 2014

My mom's eyes do that whenever she eats black licorice. It's pretty much the grossest thing ever. Her eyes go completely bloody red like that and it seriously looks like something out of a horror movie.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cakefool posted:

Today Google maps popped up "based on users with similar commutes, we suggest this route:" them took me a completely arse-about-face route that ended up being 10 minutes quicker than normal :psyduck:

In August, I drove a thousand miles to the NC coast and used google maps. It was interstate driving because we were trying to get there in decent time. Around DC, google maps suddenly wanted me to get off the interstate and take some route that didn't make sense. I ignored it. About 15 miles later, traffic ground to a halt and I realized my mistake.

That happened several times, and I learned that google is pretty much always right. Every time I'd ignore it, we'd be stopped within a half hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Our cat died today.

He'd been in the basement all day, so I knew something was wrong. He stopped eating and drinking and so I took him to the vet, and he had fluid in his lungs, his bladder and kidneys were shot, and his heart was going. He died before they could euthanize him. He was only a year old.

Fucker was goddamn aggressively affectionate. He'd jump in bed and cuddle you so hard you couldn't breathe.

Whats worse, my wife was working so I had to take the kids to the vet, ages 7 and 4. The seven year old understood too well what the prognosis was.

• Locked thread