Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

justice4trayvawn posted:

I can't get over the fact that they didn't make her deploy because some dudes saw her gross rear end bush

if thats enough to keep you on shore there'd be no women on ships

Analogical
May 20, 2013

That policy often breaks. A girl here tried to get a transfer, but this is the only place our billet sits at and she didn't want to be reduced to sitting a PT office somewhere because of what happened.

world still sucks on the reg

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Anyone have any solid information on the uniform changes outside navytimes?

I was tracking new NWU material, new coveralls and new whites with blue piping. But everyone seems to have a different set of items that was changed.

Also, anyone know of any better alternative to bates for NWUs? I've been out of uniform for almost a year and remembered how bad my boots sucked recently and thought I'd see if anyone had any better recommendations that didn't involve me saying they hurt my feet and I wanted BUD/s boots.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Angry Fish posted:

Battlestar Galactica is a better fit, even though they have Colonels as XOs and Captains are LTs.

Because that's what's most improbable about the show

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I've had relaxed grooming for a little over a year and have enjoyed measuring the potential of my beard. I also learned a lot about beards like that they need oil or balm to not itch and get beard dandruff. 7/10 beards are ok

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Whelp, hotel is kicking me out in the morning at checkout time because the approver for my RTA has a week of leave left and nobody else in the office seems to be capable of doing it themselves. Gonna throw my poo poo into my truck tonight, maybe invest in a harmonica to play behind the liquor store

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Well the reimbursement is going to the card and it's not split. The hotel bill is 4800. I don't even want to imagine how hard (re: long) it would be to get reimbursed for a personal charge when it's taken them 60+ days just to reimburse my official card. poo poo, it's taken them over five months to figure out how to get me a civilian clothing allowance i half expect to go back to N1 and have them mistakenly ask me how many shekels i need

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Boggers posted:

Navy claims that beards were banned because they prevented gas masks from sealing. Seems that they finally admitted that they simply did not like the way they looked according to this history of grooming in the Navy (with several cool pix):
http://news.usni.org/2014/10/23/brief-history-grooming-u-s-navy

In another life I was on the fire department and they gave us the same reasoning for why we had to keep shaven. When we first came on they'd have the guys with beards do a mask test to prove it to us and it did impact the seal enough to be detrimental. Those weren't trivial beards, though. My beard right now is pretty short and I can't imagine a tightened mask wouldn't seal.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

buttplug posted:

I'm sorry for your experiences, but let me clue you in on a nugget of truth: the military does not exist to "set you up for success" once you get out.

It does at our command heyooooo contracting :gizz:

gently caress everything I just want my per diem money

Analogical
May 20, 2013

listen to this while reading all the navy thread drama for maximum PTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYxbSRpVJ3s

Analogical fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 10, 2014

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Christoff posted:

Yo do they not get in trouble for making those videos?

Does anyone give a poo poo about the football teams outside of the academy peeps? Like, I don't think I ever even heard a game mentioned. I think one of the Marine LTs I worked with was a linebacker (big dude) but yeah.

Wish Navy boxing was actually a thing tho (outside of the academy)

There was command-level boxing at DLI (LOL) when I was there. Fort Gordon is trying to get something together with the other services too.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Went to go empty out some old food from a tupperware and decided to do it in the hallway trash can to not stink up the joint. As i approach the can and open the lid of the tupperware someone turns the corner. I never planned for this contingency. We make eye contact, he sees my tupperware

To not seem weird I throw the whole thing out

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I went to mandatory rehab at Eisenhower. AMA

gently caress DAPA

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Christoff posted:

I would have volunteered for impatient if I had enough time left.

Had a Marine buddy go to Point Loma voluntarily for 33 days for alcohol and said it was the biggest waste of money. Guess there was a bunch of HMs working there who just didn't give a gently caress and were dicks for no reason (what's new) he said it costs the Navy $30k or some poo poo? I mean yeah it's not for everyone but he said it didn't help him at all. I think he still quit of his own accord but idk

I was in for 50 days, army though not Navy. Piss tests at 0500, therapy until 1600. hour break until 1700 then put in a van and driven to a random AA meeting until 2030 just in time to come back and fill out a form about how it made me "feel".

14 months later they find out they sent me based off someone else's medical records (in another branch, with my same name)

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Christoff posted:

AA is a great program and works for a ton of people but there's nothing worse than a bunch of people who don't want to be there

I never degraded the program, and it works for a certain group of people and I support that. Thanks for letting me share

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Christoff posted:

Huh? No I mean people who are forced to go. Like court ordered etc. It doesn't sound like you were going voluntarily. Wasn't trying to diss

Yeah it was involuntary. I got my chips up through black for 1yr sober, then DAPA released me. AA is really, really cult-like. I'm not even strictly anti-AA, but the things they practice and the way they do it bothered me. It just gives people a reason to not feel accountable for their actions, because "it's a disease" and not a choice to drink. I understand for some people it's an actual dependency, but for others that kind of phrasing becomes an excuse for their behavior and a reason to not take responsibility for their actions.

For the people that actually need a higher power to fix themselves though, it can be a godsend and I've seen it turn people around. But, without insulting anyone here who may be active still, those types of people are a specific variety.

ManMythLegend posted:

Wait... Like they grabbed you out if the blue and sent you to rehab, or you had to be DAPA screened for another reason and during that screening they used the wrong record?

I got pulled from C-School one day because my ex said I drink too much, she later admitted to me she wanted me to lose my clearance so I wouldn't work with her. Whirlwind of DAPA/ASAP later and I'm told I'm a raving alcoholic and I have to go to rehab that same week and a Chief drops me off for the worst 50 days of my life. Later on i requested my medical records and realized they had me pegged as a CTI1 and my interviews were mixed with an army warrant officer who had the same name as me, who was also there with me and was former navy. The Colonel/Head Psych was putting his daily interviews with us in both our files. Once he told me "If you didn't have the history I can see you have, I'd believe you that you weren't an alcoholic"

Now it effects my specwar assessment opportunities and most of the programs I'm willing to re-enlist for. My command has treated proof they hosed up like a scandal and I consistently get bounced around. I'm fairly sure I'm only TDY a thousand miles away for most of the year so they can ignore the problem, since I got sent here right after bringing it up with my Divo backed up with my medical records and audio files of (every single one of) my DAPA interviews.

But I'm not bitter.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 11, 2014

Analogical
May 20, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

Bro, I ask you with all seriousness, have you contacted an IG or at the very least a JAG?

I'm working an angle still with the help of a goon, but in general my ship has sailed. JAG reminded me they're on my command's side, not mine, and the IG reminded me they work for the hospital that screwed me, not for me. I can't even fix this for the next person thats in my shoes. I can go on for a long time about all this but it just pisses me off and makes me pace around my room. Before they shoved me in there, I was a kool-aid sailor. Not even done with C-school and I was ready to board for my warfare. A pin I don't even know where my books are for now.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

BovineAdapter posted:

So did I. Was only there for 30 days. That Command DAPA is the biggest fuckstick and more than worthless in that position.

The day I was released from the mandatory year of aftercare I started drinking again. No issues since. Eisenhower's program is the best in the military (from what I've heard). Too bad the Navy command there sucks huge balls.

The DAPA can regularly be seen at the PX grabbing 24 packs of beer after COB, but will assure you it's not for him, because alcoholics never recover so obviously he isn't drinking still. I'm surprised you waited until the aftercare was up. Every single person in my group while I was there was drinking. They don't actually test for alcohol on the whiz quizzes and this tribal knowledge circulates quickly. I've been told Eisenhower's program is the best which makes me absolutely terrified of the others.

Also Actus has been helping me with the situation, and I appreciate that a lot. The stigma of going there in the first place is probably worse than the accusation itself. My very first day back was department quarters. Up to this point my situation wasn't well known, but my Chief did do me the favor of announcing to the department that I had just left rehab the day before and was "a changed man". Then everyone treats me like I'm fragile or makes jokes. "Sure you don't need a five minute break man? That's just enough time for a beer! hah"

Lou Takki posted:

Hoooly poo poo, good luck man. What are your plans for the future, if you don't mind sharing?

As far as options that would keep me in the Navy I'm trying to get my foot into a joint specwar assessment, it just means you have to really really swearsies you won't gently caress the team over at the first sight of a cold beer, and I understand the hesitance to pick someone up with that kind of concern especially when they deny having an issue which seems sketchy.

If they pass on me my plan is to get out and be a DoD contractor, so basically doing the same job just not in uniform. One of the better things about working DoD in the Navy is that you're regularly headhunted so after-employment isn't a concern as long as your clearance is good and you know how to spell your name.

For the most part I put all this behind me, but it still works me up when I think about it too much. My biggest regret will have been I never got to see a ship.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

The foot of my hotel is an ethnic center, and the only store is an H-Mart. It's been six months of food I don't understand. I had fried sea cucumber last month and threw up in the parking lot (they have a restaurant stand.. thing) Usually I can't read what I buy but Bacchus energy I couldn't pass up

Even their labels have accents

Analogical fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 12, 2014

Analogical
May 20, 2013

That was on a pretty big container of sashimi I didn't get. there was probably 10 pieces or so.

koreans aren't loving around when they say something is spicy

Analogical
May 20, 2013

SpaceJustice posted:

It's not that uncommon in certain rates.

Pretty common for CTIs. Most people pick it up the cycle before their contract's up, makes for a tasty CDB.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Hekk posted:

That seems pretty fast but I've heard of Assholes getting SSgt in 6 years or so. Too bad the Navy doesn't consider PO1s SNCOs or Senior NCOs or whatever you all call them.

They're Senior Junior NCOs. SJNCOs SIJ NOKS

At PO1 most departments seem to relegate you to being a secretary for a Chief. None of the ones I know have much autonomy or directly lead anyone.

I actually knew a CTI1 who made it in four and a half years. Left DLI, got 2nd class first cycle out of A-School then NECC sent him to Iraq with some pixel-faced group and he got capped for doing something he never specified, i always assumed it was giving a captain head in the midst of a firefight

Analogical fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 12, 2014

Analogical
May 20, 2013

poopkitty posted:

You've never been on a ship. I was absolutely directly leading on a ship.

Yeah I'm only talking the bulk of the CTI community. I have no idea what goes on inside those giant metal floating things

Analogical
May 20, 2013

:shepicide:

Analogical fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 12, 2014

Analogical
May 20, 2013

buttplug posted:

That's because this command is stingy as gently caress with impact awards unless you deploy.

All the NIOCs are IMO. The impacts they do give out are for really weird reasons. I tried to nominate a guy for a coin and they wouldn't even do that. I think part of it is that the civilians run most of our offices so the Naval component can't track when we do something that would merit an award and the civs don't ever think to tip off our NCOICs. My LPO doesn't even know what I do at a job title or description level, not because she can't either.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Christoff posted:

It's too bad there's hardly any Army IAs going on these days. Do one of those and you come back with 3 rows

There's still some in intel but you have like 28 days to get your boots on that ground before the campaign is over for awards.

Until the ISIS CRISIS that is. Looking like I'll be sent to advise next year but I doubt they'll retro a campaign so really it's just six months of bootlegged movies and comfortable-but-annoying living conditions.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 13, 2014

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I only care about the Army/Navy game because it gives me another reason to incite factional warfare in my office

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

Come on, can we please not become the care factory in this thread again.

It literally opened up 2 weeks ago. It's in the same shopping block as the Wegman's, Target, and Safeway on route 3. Not even on google maps yet.

Are you trying to imply it's better than the Cancun Cantina?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Angry Fish posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/16/world/asia/murder-charge-is-recommended-for-us-marine-in-death-of-transgender-filipino.html?_r=0

rear end in a top hat asshat murders a transgendered Filipino because he was surprised with penis. He broke this woman's neck.

Man. In the Phillipines? Thats the very last place you want to have legal issues

Analogical
May 20, 2013

nwin posted:

This is even true in the CG-it's ridiculous. They have a facebook group called Coasties on the Move, which SHOULD be a great resource because people ask what units are like/housing/schools in the area/housing available on the economy, etc., and I've used it a few times, but holy poo poo-every now and then you get someone posting about shakeology or some poo poo. Luckily they get booted most of the time. Other than that I shut the group off because every day there's some dependopatamus saying "My DH is a BM3 and STILL doesn't have orders! It's so nerve wracking!" only to be responded with people consoling them or saying "Got my orders-we're going to San Diego! WOOOOOO!" So damned ridiculous.

I'd rather have someone calling me DH and being dependent than asking me why I'm always trying to PCS away from where she's stationed lol

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I've heard good things about Univ North Dakota and having a good distance program for military. I'm a year and a half out from a degree, unless I wanted that degree in Arabic in which case I'm six months from a degree, albeit a totally useless one.

I haven't qualified for TA though, because I don't have IDW. But I can't get IDW, because I haven't been at a NIOC long enough to jump their hoops. I do remember being told four years ago there'd be TA at some point, because all the HTs and MA Schmucks I was with not only used it to get degrees, but are already done with their contracts :frog:

Analogical fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 16, 2014

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I actually have to deal with my detailer soon. I'm a year out from PRD and haven't made too many concrete decisions.

I have heard people get the "too expensive" line though. As said before though too, nobles seem to be able to go wherever they want regardless of distance or cost. i.e. I can't go to the west coast but my divo just got Kunia for her twilight tour. That may have less to do with that they get better orders and more to do with differences between officer and enlisted billeting though as well.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

Let me homestead and I might even consider re-enlisting. How am I supposed to set up my hobbyist blacksmithery if I'm going to be moving around all the time? Jeez.

You could stay where you are until you retire, then get a civilian job and retire again, before you had to go anywhere else. I know you've got at least a few people that work near you that can tell you all about morse code and the Russians, but not about what it looks like outside Maryland.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

Could being the operative term. I could easily stay in the area until some detailer decides I need to move to Georgia for some reason.

Move to Georgia when it's time to settle down. Housing is dirt-rear end cheap, the worksite is the newest and the town isn't that bad. Recommend at 10yr

Analogical
May 20, 2013

One of my friends from college is a flight noble. I visited him down in Pensacola at that lovely airfield they train on and he showed me their ready room and I started shaking with rage

all brown shoes must hang

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I still don't know anyone that's actually seen a stress card, and I asked some trainees a few weeks back who went through late last year.

Nick Soapdish posted:

At O'Hare, haven't seen any newbies milling about, will update as warns and as bac increases.

I went into the USO there once when it was packed with babyfaces. I wasn't in uniform but I authoritatively asked for all sailors with CTI contracts to come talk to me. Answered some basic questions because no recruiter has any information about CTIs and it's usually drastically wrong (i.e. YOU SIT AT FOB U TRANSLATE ALL DAY OK). A CTR contract tried to get in on my meet and greet and i told him to gently caress off because ~~~radars~~~

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Someone is getting masted.

For making GBS threads in a urinalysis cup.

:magical:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

poopkitty posted:

When do you go up? Are they skipping DRB?

Luckily I got passed through XOI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Other IDWers: Do you all board on just book 3? I just found out that most commands just board on book 3 and not every line item of each book. If that's the case, a lot is starting to make more sense.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 29, 2014

• Locked thread