Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
At least BJ is polite enough to flush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

JFairfax posted:

sex in video games is laughable.

having said that i think this made sense in context and was actually surprisingly tasteful.

naked polygons always make me think of this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ANUIr50ts

I thought that was going to be this video before I clicked on it.

anilEhilated posted:

And funnily enough, unless he had a massive plastic surgery that, among other things, somehow increased his height, that was a different BJ.
edit: On the other hand, his TNO incarnation looks a lot more like the Wolf3D one, ie the game it doesn't recognize as canon. Oh well.

He also somehow has not lost any muscle tone in the 14 years he's been in a persistent vegetative state, and apparently everyone is too polite to point out the shrapnel sticking out of his forehead which would probably be the first thing on his 'escaped fugitive' watch card.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I have no problem with the sex, it's nowhere near as egregiously out of place as it is in some games. It's just very odd to watch when one of the participants is BJ "perpetual pain grimace" Blaskowitz.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

JcDent posted:

Quite a bit of Europe had something similar happen to it. It was called "Soviet Union". Lithuanian partisans fought Soviets till 1955 (then we ran out of partisans). It's not like Soviets occupied and everything went business as usual: people were getting shot and sent to Siberia, farms were collectivized, censorship was rampant, and so on. Nazi occupation would have been far worse. Hell, I'm surprised that Polish people still exist in alt 1960s.

At least they don't have to deal with Lysenkoism?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I meant in crazy wolfenstein world.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

edit: Oh, yeah, Lysenko's genius. It got here too, although we just part of the Pact and a satellite country. It got the classical scienctific treatment of being openly endorsed and privately mocked; apparently the main problem of trying to study anything biology-related (provided you even got that far, see: education under a totalitarian regime) was how to reconcile your results with a paradigm they had to and in no way could fit in.

Well since some of the Lysenkoists were very high up in the Soviet regime, most people who believed in mendelian genetics were executed or put in jail.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

JcDent posted:

Yeah, I'm so angry about it today. Here's the Civ V wonder image;

Look at how grand and majestic it looks. Meanwhile, in real life: a lengthy row of what Soviet apartments will like in 1960s. Grrr.

Imgur is your friend.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

Oh yeah, I suppose the context is that you can only build Prora if you decided to go fascist and take the Autocracy ideology. I won an Autocracy culture victory, because I could. Everyone was buying my Hugo Boss blue jeans and listening to my pop music, like Siouxsie and the Valkyries. Of course I was playing the Aztecs, so there's blood sacrifice in the mix, too!

The best part about culture victories is when you force your arch nemesis to either adopt your ideology or die as his cities defect. I had Ghengis go from denouncing me on turn 250 to suggesting that we start an alliance due to our similar ideologies on turn 251.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The fact that Japan is on that list doesn't surprise me. Most foreign developed games where nuclear weapons are a plot point aren't released there, the fact that it's a spurious history version of ww2 just makes it even less likely.

I seem to remember some domestic games where nuking(or weapons of mass destruction that are just nukes with the numbers filed off) was a plot point though so v:v:v

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If the nazis had managed to weaponize the horrifying blue time cockroach ghost dimension things would conceivably be worse than they are now, yes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

...wow.

That....I never even thought of all this but it does make sense. I remember watching the new Studio Ghibli movie The Wind Rises and being amazed at how literally old-school Japan was back before the Second World War. Like, Europe did everything by steel and brick, but Japan was still using wood for loving planes!

The reason Oda Nobunaga is demonized in Japan is more or less simply because he embraced guns and modern warfare tactics in an era where samurai were still using longbows on horseback and had the audacity to accept Jesuit missionaries into the country to teach his men. He also tried to stamp out Bhuddism, not out of any real hatred of the religion but mostly because most of the Shogunate were practitioners and he wanted to separate politics from religion.

Almost everything Nobunaga tried to do was realized in full under the Meiji Restoration, but he's still seen as a brutal villain because he operated under the auspices of someone trying to change the way things are going because there was a better way of doing it(And yes, killing the people who got in his way). Whereas the Meiji Restoration was the Emperor going "I am a direct descendant of the gods, give me all of your poo poo."

Matthew Perry parking his ships in the harbor didn't help things either.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 31, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Every single time someone starts a conversation about the modern culture of the Japanese, someone brings up the fact that they're racist as all hell, (Although usually they link to blackface videos) and every single time they act like nobody has ever heard of the astounding fact that the Japanese are pretty racist!

See also: G-Gundam, where the Japanese conflation of nation/race/ethnicity comes to a head by having all the nations of the world piloting giant robots that are essentially weaponized Jingoism.

A lot of it is, again, the difference in Japanese culture, they don't see that kind of stuff as racist, and definitely didn't in the early nineties. Which is evidenced in the fact that it's taken them until very recently to realize that referring to everyone who isn't from Japan as Outsider-person could be taken the wrong way.

Note: if you know a Japanophile who calls you a Gaijin or himself a Nihonjin? Slap them. Hard.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

With the muscle mass he's packing? at least 8.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

He's sir not-appearing-in-this-series-anymore. You can't really include Hitler in a game unless it's a stupid jetpack Hitler, otherwise it can get pretty uncomfortable. And they know they can't top the Hitler robot from 3D so they don't even try.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yes but apparently aggression was a desired trait. They wanted to make the meanest angriest cattle they could so they could feel better for killing it.

quote:

Gow, who brought the cattle to the UK to study and as subjects for photography, said: “When the Germans were selecting them to create this animal they used Spanish fighting cattle to give them the shape and ferocity they wanted. The reason the Nazis were so supportive of the project is they wanted them to be fierce and aggressive.

Also: requisite laughter at them attempting to distil "Aryan" traits out of non-aryan stock.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kadorhal posted:

Two, they weren't allowed to work with ideas that actually made the Manhattan Project successful because those ideas had some association with Jewish scientists, thus the Nazis had decided they were "tainted" and forced the programs to constrain themselves to ideologically-correct "German physics".

This kind of stuff is amazing to me, because if you look back far enough drat near everything has been touched by a Jewish person at some point along the line. Hell apparently the reason why the German Government outlawed the use of Fraktur was because it was Judenlettern aka. "Jewish Letters". Considering it was invented by a German Woodcarver operating under mandate from the Holy Roman Emperor at the time, that's a little surprising.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

quote:

Our Nordic ancestors grew strong in ice and snow; belief in the Cosmic Ice is consequently the natural heritage of Nordic Man

quote:

Hörbiger had various responses to the criticism that he received. If it was pointed out to him that his assertions did not work mathematically, he responded: "Calculation can only lead you astray." If it was pointed out that there existed photographic evidence that the Milky Way was composed of millions of stars, he responded that the pictures had been faked by "reactionary" astronomers. He responded in a similar way when it was pointed out that the surface temperature of the Moon had been measured in excess of 100°C in the daytime, writing to rocket expert Willy Ley: "Either you believe in me and learn, or you will be treated as the enemy."
:stonk:
Reading that article it sounds like Hitler and Himmler didn't give two shits about this guy and his crazyness except in that his idea was uniquely German and therefore superior to all other ideas regardless of how much sense it may make.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Rightist parts of Japan's government never managed to actually oust the Diet from power, so they never became a true fascist state. And there really wasn't any kind of intentional internal bickering on the part of the party leader like there was in Nazi Germany. The Army wanted to return to the glory days of bushido where each of them ruled from positions of power while the Emperor was a figurehead. The Navy leaders at the time were mostly concerned with self defense and wanted to keep Hirohito in power as the divine emperor.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

totallyanmp3.docx.mp3

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Neruz posted:

Also worth mentioning that real life nuclear reactors do in fact glow that same pale blue as the 'tesla' energy in the game; here's a picture of a real nuclear reactor;

Note that it is all underwater and the blue glow is the result of Cherenkov radiation.

Blue glow in water: good, reactors are supposed to do that.

Blue glow in air: You are probably already dead.

Also What's the over-under on how long it is till Fergus gives us his shiny new Warframe armor?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

While I appreciate the fact that the empty chambers on the drum fed rocket launcher turn white as you shoot them and advance the clip am I the only one who thinks that putting a giant drum magazine full of RPGs on the front of your gun is a terrible gun design decision? You're making it super front heavy and that's gonna increase the fatigue from holding the thing level for long periods of time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I love the German language for being able to make something as simple as a Television sound like something terrible happened to someone else.

(It translates to "Receiver Unit" according to google)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If I injure myself, the last place I would expect or want to be taken is the KRANKENHAUS:black101:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

To be fair that's what English does with it's numbers. We just separate them out into separate nouns since we aren't trained to peel them apart just by looking at them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

gregory posted:

On the topic of compound words, "Geschlechtsverkehr"="Gender traffic"

So you need a Police Officer in the bedroom to direct him in?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dariusknight posted:

I just have those lyrics to the music of Pinky & The Brain and I can't get it out of my head.

Not quite what he's referencing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60BjkUtqxPE

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Neruz posted:

It's not so much a bad thing as it is a thing; English's bastard heritage and ongoing mutability has both upsides and downsides.

For Downsides see: Cockney Rhyming Slang

Major_JF posted:

Disclaimer: I have heard this from a few linguists over the years and I don't have any proper research to show if it is true or not.
Due to how protective Quebec has been over the teaching and usage of French that the Quebec version of French is a dead language.
Basically, the proper language hasn't had an updated dictionary in over 100 years. It has had kludged together compound words added in order to try to keep up with technology.

It's my understanding that it's the other way around. The committee in charge of standardizing Quebecois french has had to move faster than the French committee in charge of the same because technological innovations from the US make it to Canada before they migrate to France. As a result there's actually a growing movement in Quebec to outlaw Quebecois French in Favor of Metropolitan French because Quebecois French isn't French enough.

If my trip to Little Quebec in Winnipeg was any indication of what actual Quebec is like, they'd probably be quite happy physically separating Quebec from Canada as a whole so they could move it closer to France.

WirelessPillow posted:

That is when you end up with:
"The sponge with the square pants" as a kids tv title.

They also hate loan words, even when those loanwords would in this case be a character's proper name

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I don't think it's the French as much as it is the Quebecois. As much as some of them would like it otherwise they have become their own culture. And some people in that culture try to out-French the French.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think you can do that in most languages, the issue is learning which words mean which things. My dad knows that "Donde esta el baño" means "where is the bathroom" but he doesn't for sure know that baño means bathroom. Or that he can't use esta for other words, or that words have different meanings in English and Spanish, and you can't transfer that knowledge very easily.

Case in point, Molestar means "to bother" in Spanish, molest has a much different connotation in English. So when my native speaking Spanish teacher got frustrated with a female student and asked her "am I bothering you?" The class got real quiet until he realized what he had said.

So "Donde esta me" would make sense to an English speaking mind as "where am i" but in Spanish it's a sentence fragment with a random reflexive attached.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

gregory posted:

Well, compared to the English understanding of the tenses, essentially in spoken German you use Perfekt to establish past tense "Er hat ein Auto gekauft," whereas in writing you'd use the Präteritum, "Er kaufte ein Auto."

"He has bought a car," in English can have a very different meaning from, "He bought a car," thus this is probably the most mindfuck section of German for English learners. Where we would use perfect tense in English, German usually just uses present, for example, "I have lived in Slovakia for a year," would be "Ich lebe seit einem Jahr in der Slowakei."

English uses the perfect too sometimes "I have lived in X for Y" is how we do it in English too since it's an ongoing event. and "He has bought a car" would be perfectly fine if you were describing an event that has just occurred, rather than an event that occurred in the relative past. But if you're talking about something that happened a month ago, or even earlier that day you'd probably want to use "He bought a car" instead.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Look on the bright side, at least it's not 10+ pages of rootbeer discussion like in the xcom lp thread :v:

How do you say Rootbeer in German?
:v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

David Corbett posted:

As strategically decisive as rocketry would later become with the development of the nuclear-armed ICBM, the Nazi rocket science program couldn't be described as a stunning success. It cost vastly more than the Manhattan Project and, in the end, ended up killing more people during testing and construction than during use.

The Japanese had a similar problem with their victory weapons. AKA the whole Kamikaze program. The two officers in charge of designing their Suicide Torpedoes died trying to figure out how to make a sealed enclosure out of a torpedo that was actually waterproof. More people died when their warheads malfunctioned, or their seals failed, than actually connecting with an Allied ship.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Samovar posted:

Edit: Truth be told, I was reminded a LOT of Kubrik's 2001 as well as Dr. Strangelove, what with the war room.

The red lit tunnels remind me of 2001 a lot as well, specifically the scene where he's shutting down HAL.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Can you still use the scope while using the laserksman since it looks like the Battery is attached to the bottom of the scope?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Am I missing something as to why the main german aerospace complex is named the "Nautica" When it doesn't appear to be on the water?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Is the pilot wearing a hawaiian shirt?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

This song is amazing. I love it when the female vocals kick in in the second half.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

Give that lady a High-Frequency Zweihander and you've got yourself a Nazi-bisecting machine.

NATURREGELN :black101:

God I hope google translate didn't gently caress me over on that one

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Did you see a nuke? I didn't see a nuke. :colbert:

Nah, but seriously though, he's dead.

That sound at the end of the credits was a helicopter getting closer. That could mean they came back for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

goatface posted:

There would be so many skull castles we wouldn't know what to do with them.

Probably turn them into data-centres. Evil guys are normally good at power supply, communications and up-time.
Well, without the Up-time you have Comcast.

• Locked thread