Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

gregory posted:

Ah, okay. When I lived in Germany I don't think I heard anyone ever use leben, which makes sense because we were all informal college kids.

Maybe one addition: At least to me in this case leben is a tad more appropriate than wohnen since you are talking about a country and wohnen is much more connected to your place of residence, which is more specific to a city than a country, so if you were talking about the city you are living in I'd rather use wohnen than leben (especially since you might want to specify for example that you work somewhere else like: Ich lebe in der Slowakei, wohne in Bratislava und arbeite in Nitra). But that is a level of detail which even most native speakers won't care about, so just maybe take away that the more specific you are about where you live, the less fitting leben becomes, it's usable at a continent/state/city level, but would sound weird if you say the name of your street or house number and the other way around for wohnen, which becomes less fitting as you are less specific about where you live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Lazyfire posted:

Imagine my surprise when I saw all the posts in the thread over the last few hours...and they were all about languages. So far the tangents in the thread are that, Japanese airplanes and tanks that I can remember off the top of my head. This thread has the weirdest tangents that somehow stay related to the subject matter.

Look on the bright side, at least it's not 10+ pages of rootbeer discussion like in the xcom lp thread :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nalesh posted:

Look on the bright side, at least it's not 10+ pages of rootbeer discussion like in the xcom lp thread :v:

How do you say Rootbeer in German?
:v:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

Pussydreinken.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think I found archive footage of BJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlfjliVLSRs

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Kurieg posted:

IIRC that's Kräuterlimo - there's no real german counterpart to it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

gregory posted:

Ah, okay. When I lived in Germany I don't think I heard anyone ever use leben, which makes sense because we were all informal college kids.

Tense and common words also totally depends on where you live. For example, in Germany, walking is always "laufen", while in Austria there's a difference between "gehen" (walking) and "laufen" (running). Northern parts of Germany will use the past perfect to refer to recent events, Austrians will use present perfect, and "other" Germans will often use the imperfect ("Ich war zuhause gewesen" / "Ich bin zuhause gewesen" / "Ich war zuhause"). There's a ton of dialectical (dialectal?) varieties and just understanding High German will probably not get you anywhere in rural areas if people don't want you to understand them. Here, for example, the above sentence would be "I wohn seit am Joa in da Slowakei"

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Magni posted:

IIRC that's Kräuterlimo - there's no real german counterpart to it.

From what my mother told me, she didn't even know what root beer was until she met my father, it's apparently not as much of a big thing over in Germany as it in in other countries, in place of it, they have Malt Beer, they just make non-alcoholic beer and sell that, which, honestly doesn't make that much drat sense unless they changed the drinking age while I wasn't looking. there are a couple different odd German counterparts for things other countries have
Edit: On a side note, the German version of Root Beer is amazing and it's one of the big things I look forward to in the little care packages my mother get's from her old friends in Germany, there are some great things in Germany, another example is Mon Cheri

JackNapier fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 18, 2015

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!

gschmidl posted:

understanding High German will probably not get you anywhere in rural areas if people don't want you to understand them. Here, for example, the above sentence would be "I wohn seit am Joa in da Slowakei"

I'm actually not too bad at that one, mostly as a result of spending so much time in Switzerworld, where every town has it's own thing going on. "Isch labe siet ehnim Johr en de Slowakei."
(dialectal)

Apparently many Europeans think root beer tastes like toothpaste. I'm talking over half of the kids I taught in Switzerland, and many of my German friends. There is definitely a wider variety of herbal-flavor toothpaste here in Europe as opposed to America's mint, mint, spearmint, peppermint, mint cinnamon, mint and that awful "bubblegum" poo poo.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

gregory posted:

Apparently many Europeans think root beer tastes like toothpaste. I'm talking over half of the kids I taught in Switzerland, and many of my German friends. There is definitely a wider variety of herbal-flavor toothpaste here in Europe as opposed to America's mint, mint, spearmint, peppermint, mint cinnamon, mint and that awful "bubblegum" poo poo.

That's because most modern root beer is flavoured with wintergreen :eng101:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Holy crap - so that's what that taste is! I'd never say the primary taste of root beer was toothpaste, but I can taste hints of it when drinking it. Also, it explains why I much prefer shandy.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
If you live in the eastern part of the US, you really ought to try homemade root beer. I live right on the edge of the zone, so it's possible to find some of the wild stuff growing around here.

It's easy to make, too.

And the best part is, once you've got the root, you can take the leaves, dry them, and grind it into File powder for some amazing gumbo. Just don't eat too much sassafras or you'll get cancer...

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

chitoryu12 posted:

I think I found archive footage of BJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlfjliVLSRs

"Unnessesery" indeed!

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

JackNapier posted:

From what my mother told me, she didn't even know what root beer was until she met my father, it's apparently not as much of a big thing over in Germany as it in in other countries, in place of it, they have Malt Beer, they just make non-alcoholic beer and sell that, which, honestly doesn't make that much drat sense unless they changed the drinking age while I wasn't looking. there are a couple different odd German counterparts for things other countries have
Edit: On a side note, the German version of Root Beer is amazing and it's one of the big things I look forward to in the little care packages my mother get's from her old friends in Germany, there are some great things in Germany, another example is Mon Cheri

Malt beer is actually drat great stuff and the big brands all have no alcohol content - they're actually malta, though german language makes no distinction between malta and malt beer.

SoylentG
Apr 5, 2011

Rasler posted:

I've just seen on facebook today that Amazon have released their hour long - and free to watch - TV pilot for The Man in the High Castle, a Philip K Dick novel about 1960's America if Nazis won the war. So if your alternate WW2 itch needed scratching any more...

Having watched the first episode (but never read the novel), I'm hooked. I fully buy it as a glimpse of New Order's 1962 America.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So if you are desperately waiting for more videos you could take a few minutes and catch up with Nebrios' Homefront Thread as he and his team dissect a pretty terrible game and bring in people to try and figure out exactly where things went wrong for Homefront.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

lazyfire aka BromanJenkins
-Certified Let's Play superstar
-Makes more money than Pewdiepie
-Gets more bitches than DarkSydePhil
-LPes many lovely military shooters
-Currently LPing the not lovely Wolfenstein: The New Order. Check that one out here!
-"Favorite" hentai: Naruto Shitpuddin'

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I mean, there's really no part of that that isn't correct, save for the Naruto thing, that is my wife's favorite anime.

Go a bit further in the thread and find The Basics of CQC/DaPlanetEarf/dad's list of terrible games he owns or plans to play and realize that I could do a lot worse with game choices.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Obviously the Yichud org is supposed to be a stand-in for the Nazi mad science and occult stuff running throughout the series but it just falls flat. "Oh, the Nazis jumped ahead not with the insane research that's been established in the previous games but with some tech cult out of left-field? It's okay, we've got an even bigger tech stash out of far left field!" It was a tip-off to me that it was a separate idea that got turned into a Wolf game.

Wolf '09 had the Veil and the amazing creepiness associated with it (remember the fat Nazi general boss fight where he's a slug in Veil-o-vision? there's creatures in the Veil, so was he an impostor or just mutated like BJ thinks?). :tinfoil: I miss it and it literally added a dimension to the gameplay which would've dovetailed well with some of the non-linearity here.

e: Since the spindly torque is delivered in a cutscene, I guess you could say it's deus ex machinima. :v:

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 19, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Obviously the Yichud org is supposed to be a stand-in for the Nazi mad science and occult stuff running throughout the series but it just falls flat. "Oh, the Nazis jumped ahead not with the insane research that's been established in the previous games but with some tech cult out of left-field? It's okay, we've got an even bigger tech stash out of far left field!" The lopers and crazy nazi cultists/ark of the covenant hunters were great and their absence was my first tip-off that Machine Games took a pre-existing idea and put into Wolf.

Since it's delivered in a cutscene, I guess you could say it's deus ex machinima. :v:

It's there to prevent the whole accidental glorification of the Nazis that often comes with the Nazi Superscience trope and to illustrate their hypocrisy, that they only won because they stole from people they labeled 'untermenschen' and never could've succeeded on their own. Also because BJ killed literally everyone involved in the other previous programs.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

DeusExMachinima posted:

Obviously the Yichud org is supposed to be a stand-in for the Nazi mad science and occult stuff running throughout the series but it just falls flat. "Oh, the Nazis jumped ahead not with the insane research that's been established in the previous games but with some tech cult out of left-field? It's okay, we've got an even bigger tech stash out of far left field!" It was a tip-off to me that it was a separate idea that got turned into a Wolf game.

Wolf '09 had the Veil and the amazing creepiness associated with it (remember the fat Nazi general boss fight where he's a slug in Veil-o-vision? there's creatures in the Veil, so was he an impostor or just mutated like BJ thinks?). :tinfoil: I miss it and it literally added a dimension to the gameplay which would've dovetailed well with some of the non-linearity here.

e: Since the spindly torque is delivered in a cutscene, I guess you could say it's deus ex machinima. :v:

Well you certainly seem to feel very differently about this game than most of the other people in the thread thus far.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Yeah, went on an editing spree to make that post more clear. I think it's a great game overall but some the writing and elements miss the beats. We saw Deathshead in the beginning, we're clearly going into Act 3, and still haven't seen him again. Is he literally the only dude in charge now? Where's Frau Engel in the hierarchy? There's a boss fight coming up soon that should've owned but had too much hand holding for my taste. I liked the ending, didn't see it coming.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I also think it was an attempt to, and considering we're following BJ going to a Nazi moon base, this will sound ridiculous, make the game a bit more grounded. Stuff is played a lot straighter in this game and that's a bit easier to pull off with robots and cyborgs than with alternate dimensions and ancient mystical cults.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Technically, Nazis in space is the exact opposite of grounding. :jeb: I spent the early game thinking the super-concrete defects were clues to Veil infusion gone wrong, perhaps necessary in the manufacturing process to modify the concrete with amazing qualities. Because of that I also wondered if things from "the other side" were slowly subverting the Nazi command structure like the slug Nazi from Wolf 09. I assumed it'd come in sooner or later because ignoring a central mechanic and story point from the preceding game while still bringing in characters from it is disconcerting.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I don't know if it's come up yet in the LP, but there's some things Set says that makes me wonder if Wolfenstein's Yahweh is an Outer God or something, because terrifying impossible technology inspired by divine communion and dreams created without any industrial base sounds a lot more Lovecraftian than Judaic. :v:

So now that we've gotten past that point, I still stand by what I said. Jewish mysticism of the kind that obviously inspired the aesthetics of their organization didn't even really exist IRL until the middle ages; long, long after the Yichud started making their deep-undersea terrifying nightmare weapon repositories. There's also the fact that the other ancient superscience in the series is a result of interference from otherworldly weirdness, so it's not exactly without precedence.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah I'd be willing to buy that in the Wolfenstein universe Yaweh is a largely indifferent and even occasionally benevolent Outer God or similar being.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Neruz posted:

Yeah I'd be willing to buy that in the Wolfenstein universe Yaweh is a largely indifferent and even occasionally benevolent Outer God or similar being.

Hell, I'd be willing to buy it from studying the Old Testament.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
In a weird way BJ is a victim of his own success. By foiling all the other crazy Nazi plans to win the war and conquer the world he essentially pushed Deathshead towards stealing someone else's, much more successful, superscience.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Night10194 posted:

Well... The Old Testament speaks of a God who makes a covenant with his chosen people and saves them from bondage through miraculous intervention.

The point of the covenant is that they shall be holy (as their Father in heaven is holy), so that they can be a nation of priests to the rest of the world.

The Old Testament God is a God who constantly seeks his people and wishes to have a relationship with them.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

LoonShia posted:

Well... The Old Testament speaks of a God who makes a covenant with his chosen people and saves them from bondage through miraculous intervention.

The point of the covenant is that they shall be holy (as their Father in heaven is holy), so that they can be a nation of priests to the rest of the world.

The Old Testament God is a God who constantly seeks his people and wishes to have a relationship with them.

Meanwhile Azatoth... Seriously, though. Old Gods get worshipers by accident as their workings corrupt people and in their madness they start worshipping them.

Like, I don't know, Skaven and warpstone. Or if rats were subject to toxic leakings from a giant mech and started protecting in or so.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It is interesting that religion actually comes up in this game.

It's not central or anything, but there's a lot more reference to the beliefs of the various characters than the average, and there's some thought in the writing on how that applies in a world gone this far to poo poo.

My favorite line on the theme hasn't come up yet, but there's some good ones. Kinda nice that it's not completely ignored.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The missionary writing about those he's proselytizing being systematically destroyed is totally :smith:.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

LoonShia posted:

Well, yes. I was mostly making a bad joke about the occasional seeming arbitrariness of stuff like the pillar of salt or The Job Incident.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Night10194 posted:

Well, yes. I was mostly making a bad joke about the occasional seeming arbitrariness of stuff like the pillar of salt or The Job Incident.

When you call it "The Job Incident", it sounds like wetwork teams got involved, everything got hushed over and the only people people who talk about it are crackpots who watched a conspiracy movie called "A Whale in the Room".

...wait, no, that's giving too much credit to conspiracy nuts.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Pvt.Scott posted:

The missionary writing about those he's proselytizing being systematically destroyed is totally :smith:.
The letters are a really amazing soft touch to the fact that even the ordinary German citizens of this great Nazi empire are both seeing the true horror in some parts and actively against it but too terrified to fight against it.
It really helps break up the "us and them" mentality as not between nations but between "the people of good and the empire of evil" rather than warring nations and labelling an entire country as evil, but instead the large ruling contingent of it.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
I'm really, really enjoying this LP so far, I completely overlooked this game and I've been totally stunned by its ability to be both incredibly silly/fun, and to tackle deadly serious issues.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

The original descriptions of angels had a lot more in common with Lovecraft than a nativity scene.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Eifert Posting posted:

The original descriptions of angels had a lot more in common with Lovecraft than a nativity scene.

Ophanim are flaming wheels within wheels all spinning and covered in eyes. And don't even get me started on Chayot ha Kodesh. Then there's the Seraphim who have extra wings they use to cover themselves because if they don't their 'beauty' or 'divine radiance' will cause all who look upon them to become blinded and insane.

Old Testament Yaweh was hardcore and his angelic servants were less beautiful messengers and god and more like god's teeth and claws. There was a very good reason why the first thing Angels typically said to Humans when they manifested was "Be not afraid!"

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 20, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
On a semi-related subject, PBS has been running a series on Nazi Mega Weapons. Today's episode is about rockets and Wernher von Braun. I know there's a lot of WW2 buffs/people who want to learn more about that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Good ole rocketry, one of the few areas of science where the Nazis turned out to be right for a change. That said the Nazi rocket scientists were years ahead of everyone else, which is why both the USA and the USSR fell head over heels rushing to claim as many rocket scientists as they could.

It's kind of amusing how many Nazi scientists 'vanished inexplicably' after WWII ended and then reappeared later with new identities in the USA and USSR.

• Locked thread