Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

gschmidl posted:

As a native speaker thereof, I'm really pleased that they went all the way in getting correct German, both written and spoken, and how believably broken B. J.'s attempts at speaking German to Max are in that last video. It also has, at least so far, steered clear of the lovely stereotypes that novels love (Ja, ve vill kill you, Herr Blaskowitz, because zat is exaktly how ve all speak). Good job!
Yeah I mean, even someone like me who doesn't know any German proper can recognise that it's proper actual German after seeing enough of it around places. It's the same feeling I get as a Scotsman from everytime I hear Fergus open his mouth because he's a really loving awesome dude who just can't keep his head out of the game ever. You are right to love him Lazyfire, that isn't very far-off from a lot of Scottish military people switching between "FUCKIN' SHITHOLE CHRIST GOD" and "Alright keep it together lads" like cool as anything.

Did you know Scottish military are not taught to shout and vocalise their range of calling out like most other armies because somehow our accent has that already built-in? :haw:

Hearing the Polish spoken in Episode 2 however I definitely recognised knowing a lot of Polish people in my area and it was pretty drat fantastic, even having Blazkowicz speaking it not perfectly, that's just the extra effort I love in that Wolfenstein really really makes you believe that this is our world gone horribly Reich wrong.

exethan posted:

It helps that it was also level 31 in Doom 2.
You sure it's not also the first level of Wolf3D anyway? Cuz I certainly remember it being reminiscent of the first level what with all the jail cells, the first guard being dead in your cell and so forth. Though I would love to ask any Wolfenstein veterans, during the "Nightmare" in this game, did they redub the original audio from the original games with similar lines or something? Cuz seriously it's pretty hilarious to play it.

I love every single thing about this game (except one part I just get brutally slaughtered on MUCH much later), and I have to say...god everything about this game is awesome. What I really can't believe is that, you never ever have a loading screen in any capacity whatsoever. The only time you ever get a loading screen is if you gently caress up and die and have to restart the map which essentially makes it more like a punishment than anything, which is great association.
Seriously even on the 360 version of this game I played I never got a loading screen ever except when I died often. Good game, very very good game.
It's kind of pathetic to think that Wolfenstein can come out with a loadless game from an unknown company and then there's Sonic 2006 done by a much MUCH larger company (I presume) :v:

Sion posted:

That's part of the brilliance that is this game. You have BJ growling about how this isn't a war, this is the breaking of a seal, the undoing of life itself and then you have him, 15 years of comatose stillness, still built like a tank and ready to rip everyone in the world a new rear end in a top hat. It's got a lot of really, really dark stuff in it and there are occasional bum notes but for the most part the game revels in in the absurdity of it all. It gives you cathartic nazi slaughter but it also gives you that weird feeling in your stomach that, by the way, the nazi's were a real thing and they really did do a lot of really, really evil poo poo.
Yes.

That is exactly what this game is and is precisely why I love it. Cathartic yet gut-wrenching, guns blazing yet bleak with despair only giving you one way forward for the sake of need to live through this. To defy evil, to destroy it in some way knowing that surely someway, something will come and save this world of great calamity and horror that now serves to visit it.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

The next bits of music:

Track 05: Frau Engel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU1seOc6kNU

Frau Engel is a ghastly character, someone who's bought into the culture of The Reich completely. It has a horror movie feel, which amplifies the sheer helplessness of her interrogation.
Strangely, it comes ahead in the soundtrack versus the next two tracks, which are featured prominently in the checkpoint level. I'm including it here because I don't want to go out of order.
I just want to say...:stonk: holy jesus H christ I never got to hear that music fully in force but that is just TERRIFYING. I mean I always saw Frau Engel as being reminiscent of a Naziesque Margaret Thatcher but god that theme. That theme, god.

gently caress drat I am really loving the music of this game now with more appreciation thanks to you :D

kefkafloyd posted:

Track 8: Concrete for Miles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcvKp3Zxt3s

One of my favorite songs on the soundtrack, as heard when BJ is riding the bus into the prison. It's a grungy Nazi theme, feeling both oppressive and yet... toe-tappingly groovy?
Is this theme like a rearrangement of a Wolf3D theme or something, because it sounds oddly familiar back to the old game in its grungyness and I wondered if that was an intentional reference musically.

Night10194 posted:

And yes, some of these are probably decent people, which is why you have Caroline and Klaus. And the letters and things that aren't getting shown at the moment are things like a German Catholic priest objecting intensely to the Nazis attacking the people he was missionarying among and trying to protect them and things like that. But at the same time the regime is still a Nazi regime and it's doing what the Nazis said they'd do; extermination, 'race science', etc is still going on at this point in the timeline. The status quo does, in fact, need to get stopped.
This is another thing I really love about this game, in that for all the Nazi-killing you do and your main antagonists are just legitimately evil, there are also some genuine people mixed into the ranks that do exist. Like the fact that this game even ACKNOWLEDGES the fact that there are people under this regime, who not only disagree but also TRY to fight it in their own ways with disagreements is very telling and very humanising.
You're not just fighting to save your own people. You're also fighting to save them and their families innocent and ruthlessly pushed into the dirt by "Obedience is Courage" mantras. People on both sides do want to see this end and even if you are not the greatest heartwarming saviour of them all, you're the only one that's currently able to stop this even greater evil.

On that note, really love the cast of people in the Kreisau Circle, they're all just wonderful people to have round :unsmith:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

If it can give them great power they don't give a gently caress who they have to steal it from. After all they plan on erasing the Jewish legacy off the face of the earth so why not take the good poo poo before you burn down the house and everyone in it? :v: That's the Aryan way after all, thieves and murderers to the very end.

I mean you think the stealing is overexaggerated but let's not forget a lot of the Nazi gold and paintings of art were taken off their enemies all over so of COURSE they would steal ancient Jewish artifacts and misappropriate them for their own use. Kinda reminds me of how in the game of I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, you had Dr. Mengele literally trying to recreate a loving golem just to build up a greater power for the Reich...something along the lines of "we eradicate their existence and take their totems, their idols and turn it against them, a fitting end because we're anal fuckfaced to the end of time itself."

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

It's a tie between "gently caress you, moon" and "wake up, you're dead" for me.

Also, props to the game for having BJ use the (proper for him as a soldier of the 1940s) US Army phonetic alphabet when spelling out Da'at Yichud. Seeing as how the International Civil Aviation Organization probably never existed to create the ICAO (later NATO) standard phonetic alphabet in the 1950s... :v: At first I thought this was a mistake, but then I went and read up on it and turns out I was the one who was mistaken.
Wait seriously?!

...holy gently caress this game :stare: I mean we could have just had Nazis of the future but no they had to get super into being accurate holy poo poo

I cannot believe this loving game it has everything right about hating the Reich.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

Ah, gotcha. People did say no to him in the past, but at this point in the TNO timeline you probably got it, he's almost untouchable.
I never realised about the anti-continuity issue cuz it made me think that if all the games were connected and Mecha-Hitler did get nuked by BJ then maybe he just sort of got frozen cryogenically to one day be revived for the great master race revival, making Hitler more of a godlike deity symbolising their cause and martyred, more than anything else.

What I'm saying is, we're dealing with Space Pirate technology and I cannot wait to fight Meta-Hitler and then Omega-Hitler somewhere down the line because they keep bringing him back with SCIENCE!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

JcDent posted:

Must have been the rush of finally killing Nazis again.

And I wouldn't say that he was a vegetable entirely. He seems to remember his time in the hospital pretty well, just being totally paralyzed.
It also helps that we saw way back in the asylum that Anya's taken VERY good care of him, presumably she's been giving him a lot of muscular exercises to help keep his body strong, which I'm certain some hospitals do for patients in a vegetative state, in order to not lose their muscles from atrophy by manually moving the arms and legs back and forth every day to keep them supple.
BJ also mentions very clearly that he remembers Anya always looking after him, taking care of him, so this seems most likely.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, the next chapter is going to be possibly a little bit upsetting for some people. I hedged my bets a bit and mention that in the video for the level because it's so loving bizarre to see a game like this one, which revels in making Nazis insides their outsides, attempt to portray something like a forced labor/concentration camp. There's also a ton of depressing conversations to be had, so fun times ahead.
Yeah um...not gonna lie but

The next part really makes me uncomfortable to go through. Which is good because I don't want to be comfortable for that experience so I can't wait to see what everybody else is gonna think of it.
I really love the fact they went all the way with it and again like someone said, keeping with the futuristic pulp schlock of Nazi Future with clearly fictional stuff like their Nazi Science, while at the same time keeping you constantly reminded that they loving did this poo poo with disturbing accounts and places like this next level coming up.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 30, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

insanityv2 posted:

I hate to be "that guy" but muscles dont work like that. The muscles have to actually contract by their own force to stimulate hypertrophy/prevent atrophy. I suppose you could theoretically prevent muscle loss by using electrodes to force muscle contractions but that sounds pretty hosed up to do to a vegetable.
Oh, really? I thought it did okay then never mind I was mistaken. Electrodes however did not know that but then again this was the 40s to 60s, they might have had some way. All we know is that Anya took care of him, that's really it and in the general context of the game, considering who we are, I think we can give it a pass because it's B.J. Blaskowicz.

JcDent posted:

Well, the Beth PR dudes dodges the gently caress out of the question, saying, hey, it's giant robots, robot dogs, it's not real, it can't hurt ya!

The developers have something else to say.
Just to warn you guys, there are small spoilers in those articles about the next level so don't read if you don't want to know the intricacies of what's coming up next.

The guy interviewing Bethesda sounded super-rude frankly, but Bethesda does seem to be pretty much passing the buck to the developer, who thankfully have every reason to answer more appropriately. It makes sense since I'm pretty sure Bethesda wasn't TRULY aware of the whole process being just the publishers, and clearly the developers understood exactly what they wanted to do.

Pvt.Scott posted:

It sounds like the developers went into this project with a game plan and a mission. The fact that Robocop is cited in that interview for all the right reasons drives home to me why these guys knocked it out of the park. I didn't really get the whole, "but the prisoners weren't emaciated" complaint in that article. The dev explains why it turned out that way from a technical standpoint, but I wish he had pointed out that if you stand and listen to the prisoners talking amongst themselves, it doesn't matter whether or not they look hungry, you know this place is loving terrible.
I love the fact they use Robocop as a brilliant example of being able to tell a moral story while at the same time going in guns blazing, because everybody loves that movie and plenty people have taken up a lot of debate on the intricacies of that movie in terms of symbolism amd moral structure. So why couldn't Wolfenstein do the same with this game?
And yeah, I am glad he addressed the fact that "it was technically very difficult to make a group of really emaciated people for one level", because he didn't NEED to when he has every other loving thing we're about to see coming up.

Night10194 posted:

That's one of the weirdest things about Nazi related media. I remember watching the Zero Punctuation on Velvet Assassin once and the reviewer complaining about how unrealistically cacklingly evil the Dirlewanger Battalion was, and how silly it would be to have a unit of penal troops you just sort of unleashed on local populations to kill, rape and steal in revenge for partisan activity. Except they did that! They did that exact thing! That unit existed to do that! The Nazis thought that was a good idea! Every time you hit something and go 'Man, no-one would be that evil.' if you look it up, the Nazis probably did it.
It's kind of horrifying to think that the reason why Nazis makes such blatant obviously perfect villains of pure evil is because they actually were that evil. And there are people who are victims of that to confirm it, like Anni-Frid Lyngstad of ABBA whose mother was a victim of this. So you have very clear confirmation that this poo poo DID go down and they really were that brutal.

Like, read anything up about them, ignore the movies and read up anything about the stuff they did. We have Plan T4 which was killing off the mentally ill and disabled, we got the Holocaust for Jewish, Romany and Homosexual people, we also got the Germanification camps where they stole good-looking healthy children of "acceptable" looks and raised them in their own Hitler Youth breeding camps to make a strong new generation for the future.

I know this is a game about a Nazi Future blown out of proportion, but the things they did makes me think, if they HAD succeeded, how blown out of proportion would it actually have been compared to this game?
Because I'm afraid that it wouldn't have been.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Or Turkey and their 100 year denial of the Armenian Genocide.
Which Hitler ironically used as an example of why he thought he could get away with the Holocaust and come out the victor still because "if nobody cared about a few million Armenians the gently caress is anyone gonna care about some Jewish people?"

Problem is, he kinda forgot the biggest rule of combat. When you initiate a WORLD WAR involving the entire human race to focus on you with a spotlight, it is reaaaaaaaaally impossible to get away with that under the guise of "history not written" when every single person is watching you, the loving idiot.

Cythereal posted:

This makes me wonder why Imperial Japan hasn't gotten the same treatment, honestly. They were just as bad in their own ways as the Nazis, complete with their own version of Mengele. At least the Germans today make it very, very clear that the Nazi poo poo was not loving okay and please invade them if they ever seem like they're going to go that way again.
It is weird that Japan romanises imperial times very highly with warring romance and the Great Age of the Samurai stuff in every media that's ever known, they have this weird jingoistic pride for some reason, even after the end of WWII there still remained a lot of "no WE'RE the best nation in the world they don't understand us filthy mongoloids" and I honestly don't know where that comes from or why it still kinda emanates.

Another problem is that Japan wasn't a very industrious nation and was very slow to catch up with the rest of the world, but they prided themselves on being fierce loyalists with quite a huge bent on militaristic strength almost as if they were afraid of being conquered totally. Hell I don't think anyone in Japan is going to even mention the massacre of Nanking or Korean nationalists held essentially hostage by them.

I have no understanding of Japan whatsoever enough to comprehend why they haven't really just let things go and admit they hosed up, despite all their technological advances, or really a good enough comprehension of anything along social contexts or historical notes so really I'm just kinda musing out my rear end here. But that's a bit far and away from this thread anyway.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Yeah I was really feeling for Fergus right here and I wasn't mad at him in any way, I completely understand what he's feeling with survivor's guilt and he's just so tired of needing to keep fighting. That oppressive reich future man, it loving gets you down here.

Neruz posted:

From what I understand Ironknuckle is a guy who got repeatedly permabanned from SA for being an unrepentant shithead so now he buys random users racist avatars and titles that link to his lovely blog so he can declare victory over SA because hes getting traffic.
Apparently he's a major source of income for Lowtax as a result.
Oh thank god, I was so worried about you and your weird sudden avatar of racism, glad to know it was some other fuckface. At least you now have a true paragon of manliness to cover up for that.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Japan is actually a fairly odd case because of how its culture clashed with the rapid pace of modernization. The technology literally jumped from muzzleloading black powder weapons to revolvers and bolt-action rifles, but tradition takes longer to eliminate.

Something that's often surprising about modern Japan is that despite their reputation for extreme modernization and high tech toys, you'll often find yourself dealing with strangely old fashioned means of work. Rather than digital databases, offices in Japan often insist on doing everything on paper by hand (which means a lot of superfluous personnel to handle record keeping in place of computers). Fax machines and 90s computer programs that can actually work with them are extremely common. Go to a police station for a passport problem and the officer will take down your information with a pen rather than a computer. You see tons of superfluous workers like massive amounts of valets, elevator doormen, and waiters when they really shouldn't be necessary. Many businesses don't accept credit cards and ATMs close when the banks close.

There's a number of reasons for this, but it all comes back to how Japanese culture has clashed with advances in technology. Over 1/4 of the population is over 60, and nobody needs to be told how senior citizens are wary of change, but the world has shifted at an extraordinarily rapid pace in the past century; they'd rather do things in the time-tested old fashioned ways. Another issue is that Japanese culture traditionally has a very high regard for politeness and manners, with extensive greetings and farewells and relatively complex (by American standards) social interactions. They're unwilling to automate where their culture dictates a human as necessary. Of course, this also helps them maintain an extremely low unemployment rate.
...wow.

That....I never even thought of all this but it does make sense. I remember watching the new Studio Ghibli movie The Wind Rises and being amazed at how literally old-school Japan was back before the Second World War. Like, Europe did everything by steel and brick, but Japan was still using wood for loving planes! One shot from the movie sums this up perfectly:

The first prototype of a new airplane borne of actual steel that they get in Japan, and they literally have to drag it onto the airfield pulling oxen along with it. No cars, no truckloading, just using oxen to pull in this future aircraft that's supposed to represent their nation in the sky.
It's a bizarre image but also perfectly contrasts the rapidly-odd unbalanced modernisation of Japan throughout the course of the 20th century.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

JcDent posted:

I'd also object to the "lol, they used wood for planes before WWII" because no poo poo, interwar period. Soviets had some wooden planes even during the war. It's not like Bf 109 and Me 269 popped out of nowhere. Massive innovation during the time.
Huh, didn't know about the Soviets...oh well, back to Nazi futuristic poo poo.

Arelon posted:

But how many oxen would it take to cart BJ around an airfield?
It depends, are we talking about a wooden Blazkowicz or a man of STEEL?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I can't wait to see Kefkafloyd's update on the soundtrack for this because I love the music throughout the entire part of Belica Labour Camp. Also wow I did not even hear half of these conversations along the side or so, drat.

So...yeah I was extremely uncomfortable, I cannot believe they went this far with this mission in the game, but holy gently caress am I appreciative of how WELL they did it. The beginning is slow and very sobering of the true horror of Nazi regime, the middle is determined but stealthily subverting order and breaking up against them, and the ending is triumphantly brutal.

...that music that plays during the Herr Faust stomping is loving awesome but poo poo was that part of the game just brutal to fight through, even with a huge-rear end mech powered by the deaths of innocents.

Literally. Seriously, how hosed up is that. Also you noticed the map on the wall in the camp command building? Notice Scotland is greyed out whilst England is in Nazi colours?
Areas of resistance the Nazis have not yet fully conquered are greyed out basically, so I'm feeling some fictional pride in seeing that there :scotland: I actually own the Occupied Edition of Wolfenstein: TNO which comes not only with several Nazified postcards you could send to lovely friends, but also a very tongue-in-cheek 20-page travel guide of occupied Britain which is pretty darkly hilarious.

If anyone wants me to throw in some of the text from it if anyone can't find a scan of it or so online I'd be glad to put in some in this thread :)

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

J.theYellow posted:

Set Roth is a mensch by any name, with really great Yiddish/Hebrew dialogue. So of course I want to go look stuff up. :eng101: His voice actor, Mark Ivanir, played Marcel Goldberg the Jewish camp police officer who is believed to have actually written down the names of workers on what is known as "Schindler's List" (but not in the movie version.) He does lots of voice acting work for video games, including Mad Margo in Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, that some of the MachineGames devs worked on when they were at Starbreeze.
Wait no

You're making GBS threads me :aaa: ...oh my god he WAS in Schindler's List holy poo poo that's something, AND HE WAS IN PSYCHONAUTS TOO!?

This guy's loving awesome :haw: thanks for the heads up, that's pretty drat fantastic tor read so I'm really glad they got this dude in, Set Roth is really awesome for it.

kefkafloyd posted:

Anyway, here's the music heard through the concentration camp level. Enjoy, for it's the last soundtrack update we're going to have for a while. There was a more hopeful arrangement of Concrete for Miles in the level, but it doesn't make an appearance in the soundtrack, it's playing when BJ is talking to Set about infiltrating the guard's barracks.

Track 12: Konzentrationslager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GeWD2KMIbs

The dreary, sad guitar of the camp's ambiance. Sounds a lot like the slow part of the main menu music. Listening to it again, the music seems to have a sense of grief, of hopelessness, for a sense of loss for times better lived. It fits right in with the conversations you hear around the camp.

Track 13: Herr Faust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uy08um2jKI

Herr Faust (or Sir Fist) was the giant, lumbering robot that BJ commandeered at the end of the level. Fredrik Thorendal, lead guitarist of the Swedish metal band Meshuggah, guest stars on this track. Thorendal provides his trademark heavy guitar sound backed with Mick Gordon taking a turn at crunchy rhythm and synth. It's industrial, with a slow, ponderous beat that sounds like the rhythmic stomping of a murder robot. This music is half of what makes Herr Faust's rampage satisfying.
Seriously, both those themes are my favourite in the game simply because one of them is the epitome of hopelessness making the perfect backdrop, whereas the other is just gently caress everything and gently caress you all with a slow grindy heavy metal guitar to really sell the footstomps of Mr. Fist here.

"Concrete For Miles" by the way very much reminds me of this piece from Wolfenstein 3D, and I'm not sure if it was intentional or they just wanted to get down that particular Wolfenstein riff of sorts, or maybe that's just me.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

PAnick posted:

When working on shoot man games you usually have to accept that people will run through a room you built for a week in two seconds.
So it's such a joy to watch these videos Lazyfire, awesome stuff.
Especially when you see people stop and notice all the little things we added. Makes all that research and time was worth it.

Yay glad someone noticed them, had to dig in old quake 3 files to find the model and texture. I also had to talk to the guys at id first to get permission to add it. They were very happy about it. :)

Yeah our coders did tweak the idtech engine a bit when we got it. Detailing the resistance base was so much fun. They gave me a month but I could have easily worked on it for at least a few more weeks. The challenge with painting textures was to also create a story in every room, and not just make it dirty.
http://codepen.io/aknox/full/emBBam/
Teklas room took a while texture. So many papers...
http://codepen.io/aknox/full/jEVVoR/
Okay having someone who worked in the game in this thread just made everything so much better, that is great. I didn't even notice that gun there but mainly because I'm not a Quake fan whatsoever. Now I'd actually love to ask:
What was your favourite thing to model in this game PAnick? Unless it's not come up yet in the LP in which case let us know when it does come up :D

gschmidl posted:

Polygon (yeah, I know) wrote an article on the music influences the team chose. The not-Beatles song titles include "The Moon Yeah Yeah Yeah" and "Blue Submarine".
Anyone who's really curious to hear the songs in full can also go hear them on Soundcloud, which hilariously has a page for the in-game company Neumond Recording themselves further adding some form of realism to this thing. I actually really do love "Mond, Mond, Ja, Ja" a lot actually.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Tell whoever modeled Frau Engel's destroyed face that I'm scared of them.
Agreed, that face was loving brutal I have to wonder how many references did that modeller pull out for "crushed and broken faces" or "botched surgery in dentistry".

Oh wait, no I found it, I found the reference sheet.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

JcDent posted:

Ugh, about that...

The biggest issue with Pancor Jackhammer is not the size, the weight or recoil; it's the fact that you burn through ammo almost instantly.
Yeah wow um

That burned through the ammo pretty fast just to break open a loving door I mean well good job you broke the door now you have to reload while everybody else gets to rush in.

Neruz posted:

And even today the AK-47 (with a few upgrades admittedly) is still a fine assault rifle. Yeah it's not fancy but it gets the job done and it's cheap as piss.
I LOVE the AK47, I'm not really huge on guns and frankly they terrify me in real life, but there's something so perfectly simple about the AK47 that makes me admire how long it's stayed with the human race. Though not as long as the Colt M1911 like drat that gun has stayed SUPER-long around with us for how basic it is.

PAnick posted:

Hehe good. Reminds me how we always were a little nervous if there was something like NSA in Sweden spying on our internet traffic. They would be very concerned with the huge amounts of nazi and gore we googled daily. I had to look at a lot of burn victims and gore for textures and reference when I modeled brains and all kinds of different intestines for the gibbing.

All of us artist had to study hard all the different kinds of symbols that might have even the slightest hint of any nazi connection. Neo-nazism made it especially hard when working on the censored version of TNO. They use such common letters, numbers and basic shapes that we had to erase. And they constantly come up with new ones:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechtsextreme_Symbole_und_Zeichen
Most people think it's only swastikas and eagles, but the worst was finding all the numbers. I had a bug report where the prison bus I created had the number 8 on the sides, which is fine by itself. BUT if you walk around it fast it COULD be read as 88. Bad number.

Guy talk about the censoring.
http://youtu.be/1hK4Px4O8aE
Wow I had no idea there were so many symbols Neo-Nazis used, that explains how they keep trying to get around laws in Germany. Also WAIT, the Black Sun symbol was real?! I thought that was made up by the RTCW guys!
drat, new to me I guess but thank you very much for making this game. You guys are awesome, you were fantastic since making The Darkness which I loved fully as a most bizarre game to play, and being able to make a modern FPS that doesn't follow the trend at all of every other loving Medal of Duty game out there and still become FUN and enjoyable on a deeply-fascinating level of alternate reality, is just nothing short of awesome.

Best money I ever spent this year next to Smash Bros. :)

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm a big gun guy, so I actually have personal experience with the Kalashnikov and 1911.

A professionally made AK (not something made from scrap metal in Somalia or the Khyber Pass) is the definition of "beauty in simplicity". It obviously isn't as inherently accurate as a nice AR-15, but it has more than enough accuracy to let you reliably hit the target at the ranges you'll be using it at. It has a lot of typical signs of a Russian gun, with a minimum of separate parts; the magazine locks in because the magazine catch is a simple spring-loaded lever, and lugs on the back of the magazine push the lever back and lock in behind it. Removing the magazine simply involves pushing the lever forward again, which lets you pull the lugs down and out. This obviously makes it a bit of a bitch to quickly insert without looking (as it has to be correctly lined up with the lever), but it's an inherently very solid lock as long as the lever doesn't physically break off. Likewise, the charging handle is simply a protrusion on the bolt that sticks out through a channel in the side of the receiver. There's some play in the parts, but everyone knows how the loose tolerances aid in reliability. While the charging handle is in a lovely position for right-handed users, it's very easy to quickly rack with your left hand by reaching over or (more comfortable for me) under the gun. The selector lever is often stiff and always noisy, but it's designed so that a recruit under a major panic who slaps the safety off will likely push it all the way down as hard as he can into semi-auto; it takes a deliberate motion to set it to the center for full auto.

The M1911 isn't nearly as simple, but it stays around for a lot of reasons. It has a thin grip, making it very comfortable in almost anyone's hand at the cost of lower capacity. The safety lever is in a spot that's very natural to hit with your thumb, while the slide release lever is exactly where your left thumb lands in a two-handed grip for rapid chambering after reloading (this was made long before two-handed grips were common, so this may just be a lucky coincidence). The design is inherently accurate and it uses a relatively simple system with the tilting barrel to keep the breech locked. While I'd much rather use a P226 series gun for heavy combat, the 1911 is still around for good reason and it remains my favorite firearm.
Well goddamn, I always had to wonder so it was just really the fact it was designed so perfectly well in being very easy to handle and wield and so forth rather than by any terms of production simplicity. That's awesome to know :) makes me wonder who got assigned that day to gunmaking for the M1911 as opposed to all the other handgun wierlders.

But then, wasn't the Colt M1911 the first modern-style handgun, like in that style since all the other handguns back in the days before it were just really revolvers? Like wasn't this the first handgun with actual cartridge magazines as opposed to loading bullets in by the barrel chambers individually?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Yanno, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this at all but, did you notice something new about Blazkowicz since we first entered Belica, while we were escaping?

He still has the tattoo numbers on his arm :( you can't see it when he's riding on the mech due to his arm position but yep, that's still there. I love that consistency.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Lamadrid posted:

Nothing screams "aryan" like spanish fighting bulls and nothing is more practical than farm cattle than is stupidly aggressive and capable of goring you to death.
Nazis are like stupid teenagers put in charge of a country if they weren't a bunch of genocidal maniacs. Everything has to be TOTALLY agressive and cool and manly and gently caress YOU MOM I'll take out the garbage when I'm done with EUGENICS ...god
You're saying that as if teenagers AREN'T that already at some point in their lives :v: I think that's a pretty apt description as it is.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

I'm laughing at the idea of Blaskowitz going undercover at anything for more than 15 minutes. Both times he met Frau Engel in the game so far he was instantly spotted and singled out because he's a literal giant.
True, but he DOES look Aryan as gently caress which was the original reason more or less on why he was chosen for this entire story by his commanding officer. Knows German, blonde hair, blue eyes, built like a loving ox, perfect spy material.

Admittedly he DID get captured multiple times but so far it's worked out pretty drat good for him I say! It's just wonderful that Frau Engel literally goes "I CAN DETECT ANY NON-ARYAN EASILY CUZ I KNOW HOW PEOPLE WORK" while saying this to the Polish-American sat opposite.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Thesaya posted:

I love that Max hugs BJ in the end there. It is quite different from his early behaviour towards Blaskowitz, and is yet another example of the dynamic relationships to me. I would like to think he wouldn't be so affectionate if you didn't go out of the way to find his toys. I t probably isn't the case but it is my headcanon.

Also, I have to say, that sex scene was very well done. The talking and such, plus the fact they didn't get completely naked since they were just sneaking off for a quick shag made it more realistic and the dialogue is quite endearing, showing BJ's more vulnerable side.
It was very nicely done, really passionate but at the same time desperate and needy because god dammit this is the only thing we got now. And Klaus' reaction to it is fantastic, I really love how the characters progress in each others' attitudes towards each other and how the Kreisau Circle gets steadily more filled with people.

Also, from another thread, I found a pretty fantastic response to Nazis today.

quote:

Translation:

"My dear neighbor who keeps drawing nazi symbols on the board,
here's a symbolic picture for you.
Can you understand what this represents?

Compassionately,
regards, other neighbor.

PS: Size doesn't matter"

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

The popup said it's a passive thing, it sometimes blinds enemies when you shoot it.
It's really a piece of poo poo, frankly half of the Laserkraftwerk is. Like the two main functions of SHOOT and BURN are real neat, but everything else is just pretty poo poo. I see no use for the ricochet because ricochets are ALWAYS terrible in videogames unless you fire a thousand of 'em in one room (see TimeSplitters' Sci-Fi Pistol for absolute poo poo-tastic ricochet weaponry) and Strobe just MAYBE does something useful for like a half-second until you either A) already killed a Nazi, or B) have not noticed him not killing you due to being blinded, since you're too busy killing another said Nazi.

Seriously, I know we got a lot of great things in this game, but there really is not much going for the LKW apart from shooting some people and burning some things.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

Did you ever try
Oh no THAT is awesome, it loving OWNS so badly yes thank you for reminding me. :D I just really hate the ricochet and the strobe effect and I only remember one other upgrade that was really useful and that was the one you just said. No we need to wait for Lazyfire to show it off sometime the next update.

Lamadrid posted:

The in-fighting between different ministries, armed services and even bureaucratic subdivisions was something magical and out of this world.I mean we are kind of lucky because it played in their final defeat but it makes you wonder how they were capable of keeping their poo poo together enough time to start poo poo all over the place.

Their obsession with Big Things too is something to behold.Every thing had to be bigger and more massive than the previous version.
Yeah it's a really lucky thing that Evil was so incompetent to keep itself together enough due to everybody wanting to be the big boss for their own selfish esteems, to the point that they literally collapsed on themselves. It's fitting they cause their own dissent by that way.

pengun101 posted:

I hope there is a sequel. I keep hearing the game sold extremely well.
Well Wikipedia gives some good idea of how well it sold, I'll quote so to avoid potential spoilers from the article.

Wikipedia posted:

Within a week of its release, Wolfenstein: The New Order became the second-best selling game of 2014 in the United Kingdom, behind Titanfall. The game also topped the weekly UK charts in its first week, totalling a quarter of all games sold in the United Kingdom and accounting for 36% of revenue. In the United States, the game was the fourth and seventh best-selling game of May and June 2014, respectively.
The game was also ranked the fifth and fourteenth best-selling digital PlayStation 4 game of May and June 2014, respectively.
In its first week in Japan, the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 versions of the game were placed on the charts at 15th and 8th, respectively, collectively selling over 11,000 units. By June 2014, the game had sold almost 400,000 physical units in Europe, equating to over €21 million.

It also received a poo poo ton of awards and accolades much more than any FPS nowadays would expect to get and still being voted up for basically every single IGN award ever which is a pretty big deal in the industry.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Truth in video gaming, from my experiences meeting Germans who had never talked to an American before. :v:
To be fair, that's what all Europeans think seeing American movies when growing up, seeing nothing but John McClane and Indiana Jones for a living tend to make you think a lot of strange neologisms for sake of comprehension.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

atal posted:

WYATT TIMELINE STUFF
Yanno that COULD be rather spoilery as gently caress just saying cuz we haven't even SEEN that other person yet, you didn't even spoilertag it for gently caress's sake.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

atal posted:

I can accept thermonuclear OTT responses for spoilers in this very thread because this gamer probably has the only decent story in a shooter for years
No I don't :v: I am the worst gamer in existence, but I apologise for being super-rude to you Atal.

I realise I was out of line, so I'm sorry about freaking out. It just seemed like a huge thing but it's spoiler-tagged now and now everything's cool. It's not even my thread so again I'm sorry for acting like a jerk.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

That rubbery ball you mentioned from the 1970s, is called a Bumble Ball :v: my dog when I was a kid loving loved that thing and just went crazy on that thing.

So, remember when I said that ricochet in games was always terrible?

I forgot about the shotgun shrapnel in this game, which is loving godly :allears: it really just feels good to use that, also gently caress yes the Targeting Scope, that literally makes the LKW a murderfest machine against large beastly ubermensch dudes like the Supersoldat and such. Also I really love the underground vault for its mystery because that crazy-rear end dodecahedron is just gorgeously lethal.

I loving love dodecahedrons ever since The DIG so I was really happy to see one again. Though I really had problems in that submarine command area a lot where everybody just comes rushing down on you, died a few times on that admittedly. I also never noticed this until this very point in the game the first time but I love that Fergus has his own jacket of just Glasgow Shipping Co.
Which just makes me smile that much more for it.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 14, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

It's interesting even moreso because he realises there probably WERE just civilians on that bridge passing to and fro in vehicles. Like normal everyday civilians who are totally not Nazis or anything evil and he just quite likely killed them to take out a whole platoon and went straight to terrorism. It's a nice small note of him wincing at his actions and seeing carnage upon others, even if he does realise that he really wants to kill all the Nazis and unfortunately to make an omelette...

AradoBalanga posted:

If the recent Sony leaks are anything to go by, there are people out there who still think the best way to beat competition is to completely destroy the competition rather than find ways to work alongside it and potentially learn from it.
The same thing happened when the guy who owned Napster tried to make some sort of deal with publishing companies to share the profits for a downloadable service similar to what iTunes does now, before they threw it straight back in his face and tried to sue the poo poo out of him and destroyed his business.

Except that, in this case the reverse has happened and Sony just got completely assraped but I think EA got it even worse after the SecuROM travesty and Spore being the E.T. Game of the whole thing.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Night10194 posted:

"Nazi loving space man." BJ will never stop being angry at the moon and space for having Nazis in it. :allears:
Seriously, he is like so salty about that loving moon it's just awesomely hilarious :allears:

I do like the bridge level by its pure design, it's a very straightforward level with a lot of characterisation that "yeah I loving blew it up and now I'm killing the ones that survived wanna fight about it?"
And yes I do know the bridge you mean from Market Garden, it was Nijmegen Bridge and the big failure for Allies to catch it which was a huge detriment for us.

Also Nazi loving space base I literally can't believe they did this holy poo poo yes

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 16, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

The missionary writing about those he's proselytizing being systematically destroyed is totally :smith:.
The letters are a really amazing soft touch to the fact that even the ordinary German citizens of this great Nazi empire are both seeing the true horror in some parts and actively against it but too terrified to fight against it.
It really helps break up the "us and them" mentality as not between nations but between "the people of good and the empire of evil" rather than warring nations and labelling an entire country as evil, but instead the large ruling contingent of it.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Neruz posted:

Even from a logistics standpoint the death camps were a waste of resources. Probably because the Nazis couldn't decide if they wanted to kill the lesser peoples or enslave them so instead they did a bit of both and failed spectacularly at either.

Seriously you should read some of the books written by camp survivors; the sheer level of incompetence demonstrated by the guards and officials in concentration and death camps is astonishing. The Nazis couldn't even commit genocide without loving it up.
And that's even AFTER they got funded by companies in America and Sweden that basically approved their eugenics projects because that was a big thing in the '30s, so even after they got IBM's funding to create a huge punch-card system to better catalogue people right down to their religion and final destination, and even with Siemens handling real estate for properties that soon became Auschwitz and Buchenwald, the Nazis still hosed up a horrendous amount of poo poo even with all that finance backing simply because they were horrendous at handling basic labour.

Like, yes they did manage to do some HORRIBLE things, but if they had not been so incompetent with themselves, it actually could have been even worse. It was godawful enough when they were really bad at their own management, so imagine how much more horrifying the outcome would have been if they had been able to do it less so. In fact I'm pretty sure that if it hadn't been for these companies, they might not even have gotten this far in their genocidal scheme because where the gently caress else would they get money if they were that lovely at handling LABOUR for gently caress's sake?

I guess they'd get their money like any politician would because as Eifert Posting said, they WERE very good at propaganda and controlling people, mainly thanks to Hitler's own bizarrely incredible sense of manipulating people around him. It really boggles the mind as to how this weedy failed artist and very unstable dude developed some sort of magnetic charisma that motivated enough people to follow him. Like seriously, it's disturbing.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Samovar posted:

:gonk: OOOOHH! The tattoo removal!
I'm really surprised he didn't do that earlier, he must have had a chance to do it or so and even if it was just superficially stripping some skin off that's STILL pretty nasty. But god I love that he did that, I know he wears a sweater always after so you never see it again but that's a great sense of continuity and throwing off the shackles of oppression right there. I also love the stinger made during every stealth kill too, it gives a wonderful sense of tension as you suddenly tense up like "did they see me? Did they hear me? No...I guess not."

Night10194 posted:

He practiced his one-liner in front of the mirror every day. He dreamed of the day a terrorist would attack him and he could be the hero of the Reich. When it happened, he was SO HAPPY.

Well, until it turned out to be BJ.
I loving love that deliveryman, good ol' Hans and always getting on time :haw: god bless you crazy bastard.

I will only say this.

gently caress the next level's opening, gently caress everything about that part.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Are you kidding, the next level's opening looks amazing. BJ waking up in a crashed space truck, looking out the window, and a million people shooting at you. I can't wait to see it in action.
There is a more...specific part, not the VERY beginning but just a little further on after where there is a very difficult room I never manage to get through completely without dying at least four times.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

So the Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket is supposed to be based on Da'at Yichud tech, maybe?

That's not kosher :colbert:
Well clearly Billy repurposed that for his own uses, I mean if the Nazis could apparently then what's stopping the grandson of BJ Blaskowicz?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Awwww yeah I love Kybernetik, I just wanna say thank you Kefkafloyd for giving me like six new tracks for my iPod purely from this game, thanks to you really giving attention to note on this game's music :)

Also

yeah that office you crash into after escaping the moon van was the loving worst place deal with in this game for me. I got so frustrated getting constantly killed by that one room all because man they just hide behind every drat thing and I just had a really bad run on it.
It also didn't help I just hid out in that one spot desperately trying not to get hit and basically getting pigeonholed in like a rat in a fox den.

...I struggle everytime to try and hold out at that end bit of the vid :( though I do like the continuity of the newspapers calling people "degenerates" specifically to always keep a sense of no-humanising towards their enemies, it's very specific and I like that consistency.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 23, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

JossiRossi posted:

There is an elevator in the Nautica. It looks like this.

Which might look familiar if you played Wolfenstein 3D.

:aaaaa:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Glukeose posted:

Too funny not to do. The determined crew of the London Monitor (you didn't think one guy could pilot that huge thing did you?) tracking BJ's crimes against the Reich, even as their Kybernetik monstrosity falls apart. Keep up the great LP, Lazyfire!

edit: did a quick hack-job on those swastikas. That was going to drive me insane otherwise.
There...is so much detail I love in this that this is truly an honour to the game :allears:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Glukeose posted:

:shobon: oh gee, thanks. And thanks for all the other kind words in the thread folks.

What would be more terrifying, flying Ubersoldaten or flying Panzerhund?
Why not combine both into Ubersoldathund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Lots happening here, so much that I say you didn't see something in a cutscene when it was a centerpiece of it. No matter how many times I play this game the room I die in around midway through the video always gives me issues. For some reason the two super soldiers and the six or seven regular Nazis in that room always trip me up. Add to that the fact you don't have the best cover to work with and you have a room that can become difficult even if you plan things well.

Aside from that, this is the penultimate episode of the LP proper. As such, it sets up a ton of stuff for the final showdown that talking about right now probably would spoil the video in some ways.
I have the same problems too, those two supersoldiers are just really nasty to fight with being in such close quarters though I did love that consistency of being shot in the airvents, that was very surprising to see that actually happen from a cutscene also. Also gently caress YES Caroline holy poo poo I did not register what exactly happened but when it hit me I just squealed with joy at how much awesomeness she grew in that, so GOOD!

...Fergus is also a magnificent oval office, god yes :scotland:

kefkafloyd posted:

Track 16: Ransacked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhUINujrrwY

Ransacked is the best song in the game. You’ve heard bits and pieces of it before-- back when BJ and Caroline stole the helicopters, during the Gibraltar bridge-- but that was just a taste. You start with the escape of the London Nautica, quiet acoustic guitars setting the tone of fear for the rest of the Kreisau Circle. BAM. Klaus crashes into the exposed sewer, Max covers for you while you make your escape, and you’re ready to storm the hideout. It’s still quiet, the guitars are still picking.

You sneak in and see a few Nazis. Switch to dual assault rifles, walk in to the main room, and your entrance is heralded by the BAM BAM BAM of the drums. The wail of an electric guitar joins the drums, and you’re running around blowing away Nazis to this melancholy combination of psychedelic guitar and folksy acoustics. Then before you know it, you’ve cleaned up a few grunts and things go quiet again. Right when you’re comfortable, the song comes back even stronger than before, with a chorus and an even more bonkers guitar solo.

When I first heard this track in the game, I thought “Man, this sure sounds a lot like Pink Floyd.” A lot of the music in the game is inspired by 60s (and, really, 1970s) psychedelics, so it’s not a surprise that a band like Pink Floyd would be an influence. But when you’re blowing away the Third Reich, it’s hard to hear all the nuances of the song. All you know is that you want to go BLAM BLAM BLAM to the drums with your dual shotguns. The song is a masterstroke of melding the player, the scene, and gameplay in one. That’s what makes game music so great. It’s like having your own personal soundtrack to your adventure. It influences how you play and how you feel about the game. The best soundtracks to the best games all have this in common. Even though Lazyfire was quiet during the segment, I still highly encourage everyone to listen to the whole track, especially the second half.

When I sat down and listened to the whole track by itself with no distractions after beating the game, the influence is undeniable. Mick Gordon has done one of the best David Gilmour impressions I’ve ever heard. This is vintage Dark Side of the Moon poo poo right here with that guitar. It has the right distortion, echo for days, and that signature high end that you hear in Dave’s big solos. Gilmour’s never been much of a shredder, and Gordon does show some of his technical prowess, but it doesn’t violate the spirit of what you’d get, say, during Money’s big solo. Then you get into the second movement, and the lady singer comes in and it seals the deal. It’s as if her wailing was yanked right out of The Great Gig in the Sky. When I heard it, all I thought was “the rage of B.J. Blazkowicz” in musical form. The Nazis have stolen everything from him, and goddamnit he will shoot, stab, and strangle each and every one until he gets Anya back and ends their reign of terror.

It’s not just Dark Side influence, either. It’s got the moving rush of the bass and drums of One of these Days. There’s definitely some influence from Hey You and Comfortably Numb’s solos. The backing guitars have that staccato rhythm of Have a Cigar. The melancholy of High Hopes’ acoustic and electric interplay. What’s going on in the game notwithstanding, listening to this track always gets me a little emotional, mostly because it’s the closest thing I’ve heard to new Pink Floyd in decades (and this was before The Endless River came out). This is what a true homage is-- taking something, being inspired by it, and transforming it into a brand new experience, yet reminding you of where it came from. Shine on, boys.
Holy poo poo :aaa: yeaaaaaah I can totally hear the David Gilmour experience right in there, god drat that is amazing.
I appreciated the game before but not until this thread have I appreciated the soundtrack :allears:

• Locked thread