Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

LAUNCHED 12-5-2014 at like 7:40am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7QmbLjGmZg 10 minute launch video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_5Gna6CCrs Current Status. Looks like nasa renders the information graphically in realtime and it basically looks like KSP. I think we are 1.5 hrs into the launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVuOlpImsSQ

http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv

It's going to be a 4 hour trip, so that makes it good for following along with in realtime.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-nasa-orion-test-launch-20141203-htmlstory.html

quote:

Here is a look at the key milestones of the planned 4-1/2-hour flight:

To get as far away from Earth as possible, Orion is launching aboard a Delta 4 Heavy rocket, currently the biggest booster in the U.S. fleet.

One minute, 25 seconds after liftoff: Orion goes supersonic.

Four minutes: Two of the Delta 4's three liquid-fueled boosters are jettisoned.

Four minutes, 30 seconds: The last booster burns out and separates from the upper-stage engine.

Six minutes, 15 seconds: With the second-stage burning, three protective panels separate from Orion's mock-up service module. Five seconds later, the launch escape system is jettisoned.

Seventeen minutes: the second-stage engine shuts down, leaving Orion in its initial orbit 115- by 552 miles above Earth.

Three hours: after a second burn of the upper-stage engine, Orion passes through intense radiation in the Van Allen Belts and reaches its peak altitude of 3,600 miles.

Three hours, 23 minutes: Orion separates from its service module and the Delta upper stage and prepares to return to Earth.

Three hours, 57 minutes: Orion fires its steering thrusters to position itself for atmospheric re-entry.

Four hours, 13 minutes: Orion, traveling at 20,000 mph reaches upper limits of Earth's atmosphere.

Four hours, 15 minutes: Orion experiences peak heating of about 4,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

Four hours, 19 minutes: Parachutes begin deploying to slow Orion's descent.

Four hours, 23 minutes: Orion lands in the Pacific Ocean, 600 miles off the coast of Baja California. Recovery teams will retrieve the capsule and take it to San Diego, California.

So make fun of how much money they spend on this or whatever in here.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
NSA has gone too far this time

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
what is the purpose of this?

I want NASA to build a giant dildo shaped rocket and launch it at part of the moon looks like a butt, right in the center like we are assfucking the moon.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Space travel is a good thing and our species should do more of it. I hope they're successful doing whatever it is this rocket is supposed to do.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Just cancelled.

Same time tomorrow guys?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

quote:

To get as far away from Earth as possible
thats a mission i want to be a part of

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Launch just got scrubbed :(

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Orion is cool because it's the rocket that could take people to the moon again, or maybe an asteroid. It could go to Mars but idk if it can carry people that far.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Cool, hope it comes back to a dead earth

Great spending, plan B planet all under way.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
no they are not

mission scrubbed

scrubs

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
NOT LISTENING!!!!!! science and space is the future

the world dying can wait or some poo poo

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
a boat hosed it up, and the last time that happened the rocket blew up

loving boats

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

good job

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

a boat hosed it up, and the last time that happened the rocket blew up

loving boats
Really? Are the scientists at nasa being superstitious about this?

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Space exploration is awesome, if i said otherwise I wouldnt have a job.

The earth is fine, waste money on mars missions you stupid Government

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Science is my religion so gently caress these weak liberal shits who got arts degrees.

They are wrong, more space missions, gently caress cash for our only habitable planet

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
whats happening at copenhagen suborbital?

Ladydad
Mar 23, 2008
i've been meaning to see this movie. matthew mconahay is a p. good actor. i heard it sucked tho so idk

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ladydad posted:

i've been meaning to see this movie. matthew mconahay is a p. good actor. i heard it sucked tho so idk

The paradise they find is ruined when matt lets all the mexicans in. District 9 was much better

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

A misanthrope posted:

no they are not

mission scrubbed

scrubs

Snoop Dogg intern! HA HA.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

texaholic posted:

I want NASA to build a giant dildo shaped rocket and launch it at part of the moon looks like a butt, right in the center like we are assfucking the moon.

This is a space program worthy of the United States

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i can't believe we are spending 1.5 trillion on a plane that explodes when someone looks at it funny but we can't give NASA a decent budget to actually do cool poo poo with

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
I got to attend a space shuttle launch at Cape Canaveral once. It was one of the last space shuttle launches before the shuttles were discontinued. Some relatives used to work for Martin Marietta and they still had connections in NASA, so I got to sit in the closest area the public is allowed to be, there with the press and the astronaut's extended families and the big countdown clock they used since Apollo. Get much closer and you risk getting hurt by the shockwave.

And I was so pumped for that moment of history, that once in a lifetime experience. If the weather didn't allow it, if it got too breezy there or in the cities standing by to receive the shuttle in an emergency landing, they would have had to reschedule the launch for another week. Our flight home was the next day and if the launch got rescheduled, our trip to that muggy swamp would have been a waste.

I was worried about how I would handle the noise, and how my handicapped parents would handle the concussion. There were two shuttles at the launchpads about a mile away, spaced about 45 degrees apart from where I was sitting. If they had complications on their trip, the second shuttle would be available to do a rescue mission. Learning about all the contingency plans, visiting the memorials for Challenger and Columbia and Apollo I, and being told about how dangerous and destructive these launches were put terrible images in mind.

So I was excited and nervous and scared, watching the countdown clock. And then the sirens started going off to try to scare the animals away from the launch so they wouldn't explode from the shockwave. And we could hear the command center talking over a speaker, going through the checklist to make sure everything was good to go. As I recall they had a hiccup that paused the checklist for a while, but it was cleared and they continued.

Finally the countdown was in its final seconds, and everybody started chanting the numbers out loud. I watched the shuttle on the horizon, dimming my eyes against the bright sky, wondering how bright the blast would be, hoping I wasn't about to watch a bunch of people die.

And then the countdown reached zero, and everyone paused. The launchpad wasn't doing anything. Then about a second later, everybody started cheering. But the launchpad still wasn't doing anything.

And then a light caught the corner of my eye, and I realized I was looking at the wrong launchpad. The shuttle had already taken off, and was about the length of your hand into the air already.

I missed it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

blacks getting shot in the streets and whitey is going to the low earth orbit to test its 'shields' makes you think

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

appropriatemetaphor posted:

blacks getting shot in the streets and whitey is going to the low earth orbit to test its 'shields' makes you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtBy_ppG4hY

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

RAGE HOLE posted:

I got to attend a space shuttle launch at Cape Canaveral once. It was one of the last space shuttle launches before the shuttles were discontinued. Some relatives used to work for Martin Marietta and they still had connections in NASA, so I got to sit in the closest area the public is allowed to be, there with the press and the astronaut's extended families and the big countdown clock they used since Apollo. Get much closer and you risk getting hurt by the shockwave.

And I was so pumped for that moment of history, that once in a lifetime experience. If the weather didn't allow it, if it got too breezy there or in the cities standing by to receive the shuttle in an emergency landing, they would have had to reschedule the launch for another week. Our flight home was the next day and if the launch got rescheduled, our trip to that muggy swamp would have been a waste.

I was worried about how I would handle the noise, and how my handicapped parents would handle the concussion. There were two shuttles at the launchpads about a mile away, spaced about 45 degrees apart from where I was sitting. If they had complications on their trip, the second shuttle would be available to do a rescue mission. Learning about all the contingency plans, visiting the memorials for Challenger and Columbia and Apollo I, and being told about how dangerous and destructive these launches were put terrible images in mind.

So I was excited and nervous and scared, watching the countdown clock. And then the sirens started going off to try to scare the animals away from the launch so they wouldn't explode from the shockwave. And we could hear the command center talking over a speaker, going through the checklist to make sure everything was good to go. As I recall they had a hiccup that paused the checklist for a while, but it was cleared and they continued.

Finally the countdown was in its final seconds, and everybody started chanting the numbers out loud. I watched the shuttle on the horizon, dimming my eyes against the bright sky, wondering how bright the blast would be, hoping I wasn't about to watch a bunch of people die.

And then the countdown reached zero, and everyone paused. The launchpad wasn't doing anything. Then about a second later, everybody started cheering. But the launchpad still wasn't doing anything.

And then a light caught the corner of my eye, and I realized I was looking at the wrong launchpad. The shuttle had already taken off, and was about the length of your hand into the air already.

I missed it.
Must have been a day launch because the one I saw you couldn't loving miss it if you tried. Plus the noise. Dude are you sure you even saw a launch?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

texaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYTBfOkd3DM

The privates sector is already attempting this.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

nimh posted:

The paradise they find is ruined when matt lets all the mexicans in. District 9 was much better

The real irony is once all the Mexicans went to the new planet they discovered that paradise was earth all along!

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Too bad they couldn't quite get it up there. But it happens to lots of guys!

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm

numberoneposter posted:

Must have been a day launch because the one I saw you couldn't loving miss it if you tried. Plus the noise. Dude are you sure you even saw a launch?

Yes it was a day launch. And looking at this picture I recall I was looking through binoculars at the time. I was looking at the closer launchpad; the further shuttle was the one that took off.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

RAGE HOLE posted:

Yes it was a day launch. And looking at this picture I recall I was looking through binoculars at the time. I was looking at the closer launchpad; the further shuttle was the one that took off.

This is funny but I'm genuinely sympathetic.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
In ~14 minutes something might go to space.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
t-minus 2:30

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
please don't blowup

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

make rocket go now

RAGE HOLE
Jun 7, 2006

Stendhal Stockholm
It's so pretty. C:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
we just launched a 10 ton chunk of metal into the sky and now it's falling around the earth at 15,000mph

what up now mother nature? take that poo poo in the rear end, you dirty bitch

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

loving clouds in Orlando prevented me from seeing poo poo. loving boat!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

:jeb: as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

• Locked thread