Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

goatface posted:

Take the Suez. Both senses.

Alternatively, run the gauntlet of Gibraltar and be part of whatever German convoy shows up in the game. Also include the Vichy fleet for a giant Axis expeditionary flotilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Alternatively, forge the northeast passage.

Battleships make good icebreakers, right?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Grey Hunter posted:

Whoever has the Prince of Wales. We are sorry. Please have your second post the video of your ritual suicide. Please attempt to make all three cuts to satisfy honour.

Wait a sec, my assistant is whispering something in my ear.......what, we're not doing that?..... Illegal?..... Oh Ok then.

Disregard my last.

I should, but I want to keep some of the experienced carrier fighters, and the losses are to high for my taste. I don't want to burn the fighters then run into the returning American carriers!

I am pretty much asking for it, to be fair. Now I'm just waiting for some suitably heroic submarine to emerge so I can sink in that, too.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We see our first surface combat of the war today, as a couple of American destroyers tangle with one of our invasion fleets. The Americans pursue hard and get some early hits in, but we manage to cause engine damage to the USS Pope and the enemy are forced to break off after our ships begin to pursue them!

One of our nearby surface combat task forces moves to intercept, but cannot get any more hits in.

They don't give up however, and give chase.

Clark Field continues to be well defended.

We hit the Wake airfield again.

Then begin to land troops.

The men assault and overrun the enemies defences, but at high cost.

Troops also land on Nauru Island.

There are only 77 soldiers defending this island, but they put up a good fight, giving as good as they get before being overrun.

An attack on Georgetown goes wrong.

We hold off an attack on our support ships.

The first land battle against the British forces is a victory, we destroy a huge number of enemy troops and an entire unit surrenders.

I'm getting a little worried at the rate we are losing planes – I'm hoping they fog of war is in full effect, otherwise we are seeing a heavy loss rate in the first days! On the plus side, The allies ground losses jump today and we took several more bases. The pace of the assault is speeding up!

Still on the aircraft losses, we have already empties the pools of Sally's and Babs'm and will be out of Nates in the next few days.

I order the expansion of the Maebashi Nell factory and the Nagoya Betty factory.
The only other thing I do is begin planning for an assault on Rabaul.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 11, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grey Hunter posted:

The only other thing I do is begin planning for an assault on Rabaul.

AFAIK, the Japanese landing bonus means you can land without disruption anywhere until Mar 31, 1942, so the need for planning is reduced (but technically not eliminated completely since there's still benefit when engaging in land combat in a planned-for hex)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Can you coup the Army leadership and unite all of Nippon's armed forces under the glorious banner of the IJN?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Producing Bettys and Nells side by side is hugely wasteful, switch the Nell factory to Bettys.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

gradenko_2000 posted:

AFAIK, the Japanese landing bonus means you can land without disruption anywhere until Mar 31, 1942, so the need for planning is reduced (but technically not eliminated completely since there's still benefit when engaging in land combat in a planned-for hex)

I know, the planning is mainly there to cover the time it will take to get the carriers on station to provide support. While I may get a landing bonus, I don't get a air support bonus!

See, I learned a few things from the last thread.

ArchangeI posted:

Producing Bettys and Nells side by side is hugely wasteful, switch the Nell factory to Bettys.

Good point, I shall do this forthwith!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Grey, is it possible that you're plane losses this early in the game are the result of not adjusting the altitude sliders for your flight groups?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Did you remember to adjust the fuel blend to account for winter weather?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Good luck with Singapore. In Steinnroken's game that turned into Sinyang for him.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Another four year long LP??

Grey, you're completely insane, and i love it :allears:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Those 77 engineers and support staff did surprisingly well.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
Woo! I apparently have the dubious honor of having the first lucky ship death. Truth be told, I meant to pick the Warspite but got it mixed up with the Repulse while totally forgetting where that ship happens to be sailing on Dec. 7 :downs:

Dreamsicle posted:

Good luck with Singapore. In Steinnroken's game that turned into Sinyang for him.

I think that was mainly because he was playing on hard difficulty which basically lets the AI cheat a bit when it comes to supply. The game's land model is mainly limited to a logistics simulation, and what happened in Singapore is the consequence.

Not to say that an Allied player can't hold onto the city. I played a campaign (Scenario 1, Allies, normal difficulty) where I used my carriers to give me time to reinforce Java and Sumatra, allowing me to ferry supplies from Palembang to Singapore with cheap cargo ships evacuated from the Philippines, Hong Kong, etc. A few thousand tons of supply can keep that place going for a while, and those cargo ships are only worth two or three victory points a piece. Easily worth it, if you can live with sending those poor ship captains to their deaths.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

When I played War Plan Orange I usually bypassed Wake and just went straight to Midway before it could be built up. Is that viable in this version?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Am I the only one that uses planning primarily to remind myself where the gently caress I was planning on shipping this random engineering battalion?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arbite posted:

When I played War Plan Orange I usually bypassed Wake and just went straight to Midway before it could be built up. Is that viable in this version?
Wow. Someone else that plays WPO :aaa:

I think Midway is reachable by B-17s from Pearl, so that might be a problem in this version

uPen posted:

Am I the only one that uses planning primarily to remind myself where the gently caress I was planning on shipping this random engineering battalion?
Real PACCOMs write notes on kneeboards.

Seriously though yes.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

uPen posted:

This. Especially when I get a large batch of units or in hubs like SF, PH and Noumea.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
Yippee!!! It has begun again!!!

I'll claim the IJN Mikuma. In every miniatures game I've ever played she has pulled me through. To the point that many people who play against me fear her if she's there.

Grey Hunter posted:

Then two bloody Swordfishes make it through the CAP and put a torpedo into the Mikuma – They are both destroyed as they flee (the combat report and the replay differ in data) but this is an early hit for the Imperial Navy.

:ohdear:

Grey Hunter posted:

The Damaged cruiser is actually in fairly good state – the flooding is under control, there are no fires and the pumps are still working. I'll send her back to Japan for repairs.

pfew not too bad

shalafi4 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 9, 2014

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I have absolutely no idea what's going on but I hear this is going to be an epic LP so I'm following. A bit difficult for a guy who knows next to nothing about the Pacific war or WITP but here's hoping it'll all become clear.

(Questions like "where is this place" and "why is it important" or "what happened to the ship and is it bad" are what's currently bugging me.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ask the questions. A lot of us have done this once before, but I imagine a lot of those started pretty clueless (like I did) and have learnt more than they ever need to.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Ugnnn... this game is on sale right now so you can actually get it for a non-insane price. I have to remind myself that I absolutely don't have room in my life for it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Boutique grognard prices are bad, but if you're going to spend hundreds of hours playing the drat thing, it's not too onerous.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

markus_cz posted:

I have absolutely no idea what's going on but I hear this is going to be an epic LP so I'm following. A bit difficult for a guy who knows next to nothing about the Pacific war or WITP but here's hoping it'll all become clear.

(Questions like "where is this place" and "why is it important" or "what happened to the ship and is it bad" are what's currently bugging me.)

I knew nothing about Pacific War nor WitP but the previous thread along with Elentor's still ongoing FFVII LP made me register. Now I know enough to never visit Enittewkotewetotko... that atoll in real life AND make fun of old Japanese battleship superstructures.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Istvun posted:

Did you remember to adjust the fuel blend to account for winter weather?

I can never tell whether these mechanic tidbits are jokes or not.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Well I have a question, never having played this game. Consider this picture for example:

Why are there only four Wildcats accounted for in the picture, but eleven in the battle report? What do these numbers signify?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Theantero posted:

Well I have a question, never having played this game. Consider this picture for example:

Why are there only four Wildcats accounted for in the picture, but eleven in the battle report? What do these numbers signify?

A whole animation plays out during the combat. You see all the attacking planes initially. The defending planes arrive over time as standby aircraft are launched to help out the CAP. As they combat goes, you see messages about planes shooting each other down, or suffering some mechanical or morale difficulty and returning to base. So the number of aircraft will usually dwindle over time. Eventually the attacking planes break through and you go to a ground animation where you bomb the airfield or port or whatever. Grey has just taken a screenshot midway through.

Also, there is a fog of war in the combat reports (and I think the animations, but I'm not %100 sure about that), so the numbers aren't exactly accurate and the two don't match up. Since the same reports are viewed by both players, the fog or war exists even for your own planes.

Edit: The game also simulates the time to climb to altitude for the arriving planes, the altitude advantages or one plane against another, and the performance of different aircraft in different altitude bands. There is a also a detection distance for the incoming raid. You can improve this by having one or more radars or human observers at the base that is being attacked. The farther out the raid is detected, the more CAP aircraft are able to make it to the battle in time. There's a lot to it, little of which is explained in the manual. I haven't even mentioned getting your aircraft to arrive over the target at the same time.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 9, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think (though cannot be sure) that 11 planes started defending, but most were forced to break off due to damage or ran out of ammunition and withdrew. That image shows the last "turn" of the battle.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Yeah, that explains it quite well. Thanks.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I can never tell whether these mechanic tidbits are jokes or not.

Neither can I.

Good ball by Dixon
Oct 18, 2012
I claim HMS Vengeance as my lucky ship.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

This thread made me reinstall this game. The last thread made me buy it, but I could never wrap my head around it. Now though, I started messing with the Aleutian Island scenario, which I think is smaller than the guadalcanal scenario that made me stop playing last time, and I finally understand how the game works.

Also I can't pick a ship

e: any other good small scenarios to help get me started?

ee: why do my bombardment task forces switch back to surface combat every turn? its really annoying

eee: how do I get my ships to auto return to station after refueling and rearming?

Gay Hitler fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 10, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Welp, back on the ground floor of another multi-year campaign. I'm excited.

What's the largest IJN ship that hasn't been claimed yet? I'll take that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It also breaks down from global combat view to individual fighter/warship duels.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Friar John posted:

Welp, back on the ground floor of another multi-year campaign. I'm excited.

What's the largest IJN ship that hasn't been claimed yet? I'll take that.

The Shinano is huge, and hasn't been claimed yet.

It also probably won't be showing up, since Grey canceled the build order.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

gradenko_2000 posted:

On Dec 7, the Japanese have:
* The big 6 Kido Butai, plus another Junyo-class CV (1 more than historical)
* The Ryujo and 3 other Chitose-class CVLs (2 more than historical)
* 7 CVEs (5 more than historical)
* 12 BBs, including the Yamato and Musashi already built (2 more than historical)
* 28 CAs and 40 CLs (10 more CAs and 21 more CLs than historical)
* 5955 land-based planes (3345 more than historical)
* 1868 naval planes (1159 more than historical)
* 1745 planes in pool (867 more than historical)
* 3200 IJN pilots in pool, 3802 IJA pilots in pool, 640 additional pilots per month, starting with 55 experience (historical: 1700 IJN, 2202 IJA, 345 replacements per month with 35 experience)

They're slated to receive or build:
* 15 CVs, with 12 of them arriving before 1945 (5 more than historical)
* 11 CVLs, all before May 1943 (8 more than historical)
* 8 CVEs (same as historical, but Ironman has them built sooner)
* 9 BBs, all before Oct 1943, and 2 (German) Battlecruisers (9 more than historical)
* 3 CAs and 14 CLs (no additional CAs historically, 9 more CLs than historical)
* 164 DDs, 173 subs (47 more DDs and 9 more subs than historical, most new subs are Operation Taifun German U-boats
* 563 tranports/merchantmen, 192 oilers/tankers (30 more transports/merchantmen, 12 more oilers/tankers)
* 140 landing craft/landing ships (87 more than historical)

On top of all that, R&D is sped up such that they can get the better Zeroes, Jills and Judys much faster, you can produce the knock-off Me-262s by 1944, and most island bases produce their own supplies so that the Allies cannot starve them out without engaging in strategic bombing even for places like Truk or the Marshall islands.
What classes are the CVs that are under construction in that scenario?

Also, maybe I've missed it but has Grey Hunter talked about their R&D plan?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Can you build the Super Yamato battleships? If so build those.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Oh hey, this has returned. Kind of a pity that :gh: never became a smilie.

I'll take USS Yorktown II as my lucky ship.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

NGDBSS posted:

Oh hey, this has returned. Kind of a pity that :gh: never became a smilie.

It was attempted, but you can't really crush the croctopus down that small and still have it look like anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gay Hitler posted:

This thread made me reinstall this game. The last thread made me buy it, but I could never wrap my head around it. Now though, I started messing with the Aleutian Island scenario, which I think is smaller than the guadalcanal scenario that made me stop playing last time, and I finally understand how the game works.

Also I can't pick a ship

e: any other good small scenarios to help get me started?

ee: why do my bombardment task forces switch back to surface combat every turn? its really annoying

eee: how do I get my ships to auto return to station after refueling and rearming?

Once upon a time, I wrote a tutorial for War in the Pacific: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=17472

To address your question directly: You can use the "Set TF Routing" button to set a patrol zone. Click a target hex (or hexes) and the ship will sail back and forth from that point, to the base, rearm and refuel, then sail back. I would recommend checking up on ships doing this every so often as they're going to pick up minor systems damage just from sailing and I believe they might not undergo their upgrades while you're doing this. I also would not recommend doing it for capital ships or other high-profile TFs.

Mirificus posted:

What classes are the CVs that are under construction in that scenario?

In order of appearance (again, this is for the Ironman scenario):

CVL Zuiho - Zuiho class with 48/48 planes
CVL Chiyoda - Chitose class* with 45/45 planes
CVL Shoho - Zuiho class with 48/48 planes
CVL Nisshin - Chitose class with 30/45 planes
CVL Honshu - Ryujo class with 54/48** planes
CVL Kyushu - Ryujo class with 54/48 planes
CVL Hokkaido - Ryujo class with 54/48 planes
CVL Shikoku - Ryujo class with 54/48 planes
CVL Akaryu - Chitose class with 30/45 planes
CVL Ryuho - Ryuho class with 0/48*** planes
CVL Ibuki - Ibuki class with 48/48 planes

CV Chiho - Junyo class with 72/72 planes
CV Junyo - Junyo class with 72/72 planes
CV Hiyo - Junyo class with 55/72 planes
CV Surugu - Taiho class with 72/96 planes
CV Shiyo - Junyo class with 54/72 planes
CV Taiho - Taiho class with 96/96 planes
CV Shinano - Taiho class**** with 96/96 planes
CV Unryu - Unryu class with 81/81 planes
CV Katsuragi - Unryu class with 81/81 planes
CV Echigo - Taiho class with 72/96 planes
CV Settsu - Shinano class with 54/47 planes
CV Amagi - Unryu class with 81/81 planes *****
CV Kasagi - Unryu class with 81/81 planes
CV Aso - Unryu class with 81/81 planes
CV Ikoma - Unryu class with 81/81 planes

CVE Unyo - Taiyo class with 12/27 planes
CVE Chuyo - Taiyo class with 12/27 planes
CVE Kaiyo - Kaiyo class with 12/24 planes
CVE Shinyo - Shinyo class with 12/33 planes
CVE Yamashiro Maru - Yamashiro Maru class with 18/24 planes
CVE Shimane Maru - Shimane Maru class with 18/24 planes
CVE Otakisan Maru - Shimane Maru class with 18/24 planes
CVE Chigusa Maru - Yamashiro Maru class with 18/24 planes

* Historically, the Chitose class starts off as light cruisers that the Japanese player needs to convert to CVLs. This scenario starts them off as already converted and with their own organic airwings

** There is a "bug" with this ship where the Ryujo only has a maximum aircraft capacity of 48 planes, but the size of the airwings exceeds it. Thus, the ship can't execute flight ops until the air wings are resized or the ship gets upgraded. First time I saw this was in the Allied Ironman scenario where the USS Enterprise has a 95 plane air wing when she can only fly 90 until a later upgrade

*** It might have been an oversight that this one does not have its own organic air wing

**** That's not a typo. The Shinano here is a Taiho class to reflect that the Shinano suuuuucked. Also, it arrives on-map (does not need to be constructed!) on Apr 1 1943

***** The Amagi completes normal construction by Aug 12 1944. The other 3 carriers after it complete construction in May-Jun 1945. The 11 other carriers before the Amagi are all constructed or arrive on-map by 1943 or earlier

• Locked thread