Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Chainsawdomy posted:

Part of the reason Eamonn Walker is so good in the Masterpiece Theater is that he was just coming off a long run as Othello at the Globe. I was lucky enough to see him there (opposite Tim McInnery as Iago) and he was fantastic. His stage performance was frighteningly violent, but he did an excellent job of scaling it down for film.

My personal favorite adaptation still had to be Julie Taymor's Titus there are some pretty typical Taymor excesses early on (including some very questionable CGI) but if there's one play that invites a little bit of excess it's this one, and she nails the overall aesthetic by placing the movie in a sort of Fascist Gilded-Age Rome. There's not a minute of the movie that's a bore to watch, and that's largely in part to some of the most perfect casting I've ever seen. Considering how mediocre Taymor's Tempest was, I'm inclined to give them most of the credit. I can't even rave about any one particular actor because everyone blew me away.

Ok I lied, Anthony Hopkins is breathtaking as Titus himself. I've seen a lot of bad productions of Titus Andronicus, and it's very easy to just shout your way through the play, but Hopkins finds so many wonderful levels to chart the character's fall from dignity.

Seriously just watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_97LyhU9cg
(Also featured: questionable CGI)

Julie Taymor's Titus is one of my all-time favorite movies, I love everything about it. Harry Lennix is probably my favorite part, I'm just in awe when he's doing his thing.

I got the impression Coriolanus with Ralph Fiennes was good, but then I heared relatively little feedback on it. Opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah me and my friends called her the go-to jungle fever girl for a while although now jungle fever seems like an offensive word now that I typed it out for the first time in years.

Jeesh, I'm glad you see how that's problematic now.

Keanu Reeves was in Shakespeare as well as Dracula? Guess you have to sell your projects somehow...

• Locked thread