Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
It's interesting to compare the different Olivier filmed adaptations. You've got arguably (not necessarily by me) the finest/most famed Shakespearean actor of the last century, and I feel like Richard III is the only one worth its salt. He does such a terrific job engaging with the camera in all of the to-the-audience moments, its photography has way more care put into it than Henry V or Hamlet, and doesn't feel as rushed at times as the other two.

Hell, the best contrast to the confidence he builds with the audience throughout the movie is the end, when Richard looks so small and lost among the battle and can no longer use his charms. Olivier's the perfect wounded beast there. It's a fantastic damned movie.

99 CENTS AMIGO fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Francesca Annis is FANTASTIC as Lady Macbeth, too. Very understated performance when the tendency can often be to try and match the witches. I love the use of voice-over for a lot of the soliloquies, as well - it does a great job relating you to Macbeth, when a lot of productions keep him at arms' length.

• Locked thread