Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Kenneth Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing is great, almost entirely because of Emma Thompson. Her Beatrice is one of my favorite all time performances of any character in any medium. The other actors are good (though Keanu struggles as the villain) and the photography is lovely.

I did really like Amy Acker in the Whedon film, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The chemistry between Thompson and Branagh is just so amazing. Hell, every performance (minus Keanu) in that one is just sooooooooo good. I sat back afterwards and had to say aloud "Why the gently caress hasn't Denzel done more Shakespeare? He was wonderful in that!"

And I'll say this for Amy Acker over Emma Thompson, Acker was at least willing to take a header down a flight of stairs.

The downside of Denzel Washington always getting very serious heady roles is he rarely gets to be as charming as he can be. He's always had a Cary Grant quality.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Anyone have any other recommendations as to which of these are good? Or are they all at least good enough to be worth watching?

Macbeth was a really good one- McKellen, Judi Dench, Roger Rees as Malcolm, Bob Peck as Macduff. Very atmospheric and the witches' scenes are especially well done.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Stare-Out posted:

I watched Titus last night and drat, that movie is like a fever dream. It's very, very faithful to the material which is great but the modernizations come off as a bit clumsy, particularly in Goldenthal's otherwise great score. Hopkins easily steals the show and the scene where Titus pleads for his sons' lives is absolutely captivating. And speaking of Taymor's adaptations, what's the story with The Tempest? The cast looks stellar but I saw it received mixed to negative reviews. Worth checking out?

I also just rewatched Pacino's Looking for Richard in preparation for the 1995 Richard III with McKellen and I really wish they'd made more documentaries like that. It's great to get such insight and presumably a softened landing into Shakespeare.

I quite enjoyed Taymor's Tempest- I don't remember it too strongly but it had a nice atmosphere.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
A major problem is that Shylock is ultimately a supporting character in a comedy- Shakespeare was empathetic enough to glimpse past his and society's anti-Semitism to at least posit "this guy is human, after all, isn't he?" but it never gets past that, and the mood of the play is so light overall that trying to bring in a serious consideration of racial prejudice is difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
2010 was like peak "everything is teal and orange"- I feel like it's settled down since.

• Locked thread