Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

davidspackage posted:

I got the impression Coriolanus with Ralph Fiennes was good, but then I heared relatively little feedback on it. Opinions?

I liked it a lot. Ralph Fiennes kills it, it was good to see him in lead role again after what felt like ages as a supporting actor. I wouldn't compare Coriolanus to Titus at all though, it lacks most of the latter's aesthetics. It's much more like Richard Loncrane's Richard III with Ian McKellen, which happens to be one of my favorite Shakespeare adaptations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Here is Harry Lennix's amazing confession scene as Aaron the Moor. He was one of those familiar "that guy" actors who always shows up in things, but this was the first time I ever really paid attention to him, learned his name, and started looking forward to seeing him in everything:
http://youtu.be/rnEuv1XShWQ

Yeah, this. When watching Titus I thought "Oh, it's That Guy from Matrix 2, huh" and afterwards when I re-watched Matrix 2 I was actually able to somewhat appreciate his character there a little more. Funny how an actor's body of work can contextualize a role.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The best retelling of Hamlet is clearly Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. I love that movie so much, even though I first saw it for the first time when I wasn't particularly familiar with Hamlet. My appreciation for that movie has only increased as I grew more familiar with the play though, and Tim Roth and Gary Oldman are delightful to watch. Also, I still regularly try to get people around me to play Questions, it's a great game.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I kinda liked O on first viewing but haven't revisited it since, might as well just have been my love for Othello coming through. I do remember being annoyed in places by how the movie handled Iago, they basically took away the Vice-related aspects of his character and turned him into a mopey douchebag. Not fun.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Kenneth Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing is great, almost entirely because of Emma Thompson. Her Beatrice is one of my favorite all time performances of any character in any medium. The other actors are good (though Keanu struggles as the villain) and the photography is lovely.

The movie is just so incredibly uplifting. The soundtrack is a big part of that, too. I usually find myself fist-pumping with the characters when they ride towards you in the beginning, all because of the swell of the music.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Well, Shakespeare was an author for the unwashed masses so those movies try to reference that, with titties.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Especially the 50 naked hags in the cave in Macbeth. What the gently caress was that about.

It reminded me of von Trier's Antichrist, invoking fear of feminity as something alien for MacBeth.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Also, as far as I remember the display of breasts in MacBeth wasn't titillating at all. The naked witches were kind of gross, and MacBeth is completely weirded out by them. It's not like he is all "Aw yeah, down to the tittie committee!" when he enters that cellar, they surround him and feed him drugs and it becomes kind of like the scene from Rosemary's Baby where Rose gets impregnated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

This is by far and away this worst of any Shakespearean films, the Merchant of Venice with Al Pacino.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdbzRtxVtns
If you hate yourself you can watch the whole thing on youtube.

I will also fight anyone that likes Romeo+Juliet but I'm pretty sure I said that in the threat that inspired this one.

OK, let's fight. But first I'd like to hear a few words on why the Pacino Merchant is the worst Shakespeare film. I have only seen the first few minutes and they didn't strike me as particularly horrible. Would be great if it was so horrible I never needed to watch the rest, because I'm not made out of time.

• Locked thread