Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Xibanya posted:

Get on we need more goons.

I have bad experience with wurm and it's triggering.

(rolf said i was grinding too fast or something and reset my stealing[?] skill to 0)

Impotence fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Immersive and engaging combat
http://gfycat.com/ColossalImmediateGossamerwingedbutterfly

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

What is that thing?

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

BERGfu posted:

What is that thing?
Aged troll

wurm is the ultimate in defenseless wildlife murdering
http://gfycat.com/ImpassionedSereneDegu

http://gfycat.com/FlawlessConcreteGermanshepherd

shoot arrow shafts without arrow heads on for a slower death

Delamore fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 15, 2014

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Biowarfare posted:

I have bad experience with wurm and it's triggering.

(rolf said i was grinding too fast or something and reset my stealing[?] skill to 0)

Yeah Rolf is paranoid about people running macros and has definitely banned or reset innocent accounts before. On the new server though, the skillgain is cranked up so high that macros are of marginal use, and people were getting 50 or 70 skill titles on their first day playing without attracting any suspicion from the GMs.

Also I've updated the OP to be more useful, feel free to provide suggestions on other stuff to add

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Please tell me having like 4 dudes riding in a cart firing arrows like some sort of giant war chariot is an effective tactic.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
gently caress it, I was going to avoid playing but I don't think I can.
I'll make an account tomorrow. I've got work today and then two days off.

Use to play with SA (Bearback) before disband, then FP, then helped build Woodscove with Dadd and a group of my friends, then FP, then Kyara.

Wurm is the grindiest game I have played but also the most fun because it's all about the players. Directly being able to affect the landscape is something other MMO developers really need to pick up on.

Does anybody have any stories regarding the history of goon towns?

I remember Bearback mountain but none of the others, even though I remember joining the after the disband of the FP Pirate Outpost.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 16, 2014

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Catsplosion posted:

gently caress it, I was going to avoid playing but I don't think I can.
I'll make an account tomorrow. I've got work today and then two days off.

Use to play with SA (Bearback) before disband, then FP, then helped build Woodscove with Dadd and a group of my friends, then FP, then Kyara.

Wurm is the grindiest game I have played but also the most fun because it's all about the players. Directly being able to affect the landscape is something other MMO developers really need to pick up on.

Does anybody have any stories regarding the history of goon towns?

I remember Bearback mountain but none of the others, even though I remember joining the after the disband of the FP Pirate Outpost.

There is barely any grind on the new server. I gained 70 fletching, 65 bowyery, and 60 weaponsmithing in a day. With the skill curve on top of the increased skill gain, haven't needed to grind since then. 70 skill is effectively somewhere around 90.
On this go round spamming items is the best gains. Any small item you can spam thousands of with the shorter timers makes your skills shoot through the roof.

Werkwerk
Dec 23, 2003
Fat.
We found a silver vein in the new mine last night. Silver better than iron/steel for weapons/armor?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone invite me to the village? I'm sitting in mad going mad; ign 3060ec5f-d839-43c1-acd0-5f2a0cff5b27

Impotence fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 16, 2014

Turkeybro
Nov 12, 2011

Looking for strong men to discover what's under the helmet.

Biowarfare posted:

Can someone invite me to the village? I'm sitting in mad going mad; ign meepo

Im sitting with him ign: Turkeybro

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Scrub patrol murdered face with archery at the jk far base

also janky bear mounts
http://gfycat.com/HeartyEminentBactrian
http://gfycat.com/MiserableShowyBluefintuna

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Oh god wurm reduced the godawful grind? Might be worth taking a look again then, i was there for goondor and bearback mountain. Do they still have that system where you can get max level 20 in skills if your playing for free? Because i dont feel like giving rolf any more money.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Captain_duck posted:

Oh god wurm reduced the godawful grind? Might be worth taking a look again then, i was there for goondor and bearback mountain. Do they still have that system where you can get max level 20 in skills if your playing for free? Because i dont feel like giving rolf any more money.

ive been grinding for 30 minutes and im up to 55 skill now

100% f2p

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

Captain_duck posted:

On challenge server everyone has premium FOREVER and you start with 21 in all skills so you can do all the poo poo from the start like smashing and riding horses.

[19:44:15] You have premium time until 1 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Justin Tyme posted:

Please tell me having like 4 dudes riding in a cart firing arrows like some sort of giant war chariot is an effective tactic.
We have used battlecarts before on hunting trips - they're not any more effective but it's easier to keep a hunting party together that way. I'm not sure if passengers can shoot arrows while riding on a cart, but they can while riding on a boat so I would assume it's possible. The driver of a cart cannot shoot though so the only real benefit to an archery battlecart is that it uses less horses and horse armor than having everyone mounted separately.

Werkwerk posted:

We found a silver vein in the new mine last night. Silver better than iron/steel for weapons/armor?
No, although I think you can make vanity chainmail from it. It's also needed for silver statuettes for priests (I just became a priest this morning, get online so I can give sermons for increased faith gain) and silver altars which give better rewards when you pray at them. Silver is also used to make pendulums which a priest can use to magically locate and track down other players.

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 16, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Delamore posted:

Scrub patrol murdered face with archery at the jk far base

also janky bear mounts
http://gfycat.com/HeartyEminentBactrian
http://gfycat.com/MiserableShowyBluefintuna

I'm not playing this (yet, at least), but these GIFs are magical. Never stop.

Piglet
Jan 22, 2002

Zub! Zub!

Avocados posted:

e: Does anyone have screencaps from that one goon village where they had the horrific horse death camps? I remember poking around in that village one night and I stumbled into a stable that had countless dead foals and horses, all which were skinned and gutted and labled as genetic"rejects" by a sign.
That's probably Serpentarius' handiwork from his horse mill in Nation of Grizzlam (on Independence). Someone has that shot I'm sure.

He still has an unhealthy hatred for horses with bad traits. Recently when a bunch of us moved to Xanadu (new giant server) and he had to start a new herd from scratch someone asked him for a couple of his rejects for pulling carts and stuff since they were too lazy to go out looking for horses in the wild. He took the time to lead two horses to the other guy's deed and then proceeded to kill and butcher them both right before his eyes.

edit: Oh, forgot to mention his deed is named "Dead Horses" on Xanadu.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Piglet posted:

That's probably Serpentarius' handiwork from his horse mill in Nation of Grizzlam (on Independence). Someone has that shot I'm sure.

He still has an unhealthy hatred for horses with bad traits. Recently when a bunch of us moved to Xanadu (new giant server) and he had to start a new herd from scratch someone asked him for a couple of his rejects for pulling carts and stuff since they were too lazy to go out looking for horses in the wild. He took the time to lead two horses to the other guy's deed and then proceeded to kill and butcher them both right before his eyes.

edit: Oh, forgot to mention his deed is named "Dead Horses" on Xanadu.
How's Serpentarius doing these days? Haven't seen him in a while. Also, you should drop by the village on Challenge Server, even if it's only to give some advice on building layouts and obscure Wurm gotchas for the new features they've added recently.

Also, just got back from a successful excursion near Two Shores. We recovered one sailboat, looted one settlement, and murdered one nub with hammers. We were going over a Jenn-Kellon settlement that had already been raided and looted when a dude pops into local. I wanted to bail because we were shadowed earlier by a Jenn-Kellon hunting party of our same size, but Werkwerk spotted him very close by on a horse. I shot his mount out from under him and he ran into a nearby unlocked mine shaft filled with useful stuff. We found him idling in the mine, presumably after walking away from his keyboard because of a panic attack.

Sky Pilot
Feb 15, 2011
I think we made enough armor.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Added a bunch of ropes and poo poo to the sail/knarr
So we just need 3 thick ropes which is like 20kg of wemp and we're done, I got like 15kg in 30 minutes near the black light.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
Invite please, currently online as fingolfin.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Can we get more trash bins put up in the town so I can clean up the junk and empty corpses in the place. I'd built them myself but I won't be online till after work.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Also cool fact our faction can eat human flesh

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

BERGfu posted:

Can we get more trash bins put up in the town so I can clean up the junk and empty corpses in the place. I'd built them myself but I won't be online till after work.

Burying corpses works well too, just activate a shovel and right click them. Gotta turn off religion first though since our god doesn't want us burying bodies, they should be on display

Building a bigger boat so someone isn't stuck inside the mast on raids
http://gfycat.com/ReliableEminentIndianpangolin

Testing it out on a shark
http://gfycat.com/GoldenBleakIslandcanary

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

yeah I didn't know turning off religion was a thing. It would work mostly so I don't loving have night terrors when I see the corpse of JerkJerk but I still hear his voice in mumble.

Registered Loser
Dec 29, 2006

BERGfu posted:

It would work mostly so I don't loving have night terrors when I see the corpse of JerkJerk but I still hear his voice in mumble.

Lmao

I'm digging a moat around the walls, did a moat around the walls.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

We have used battlecarts before on hunting trips - they're not any more effective but it's easier to keep a hunting party together that way. I'm not sure if passengers can shoot arrows while riding on a cart, but they can while riding on a boat so I would assume it's possible. The driver of a cart cannot shoot though so the only real benefit to an archery battlecart is that it uses less horses and horse armor than having everyone mounted separately.

Actually I just discovered that the driver of a large cart can shoot a bow, so this could be a viable tactic. Also you can ride on a tamed crocodile through the water.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Actually I just discovered that the driver of a large cart can shoot a bow, so this could be a viable tactic. Also you can ride on a tamed crocodile through the water.

I now require a crocodile.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Also you can ride on a tamed crocodile through the water.

Everything in wurm is janky in it's own magical way
http://gfycat.com/WelllitMedicalDrake

http://gfycat.com/ObedientDangerousHalcyon

more top tier goon wurmin
http://gfycat.com/QuarrelsomeTepidGreatwhiteshark
http://gfycat.com/FlickeringHealthyEarthworm

Delamore fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 18, 2014

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Ive had a blast everytime ive played wurm with goons

in as koshka please shoot me an invite when you can :sun:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i made a thousand arrow shafts, and im taking newbie goons out on boat trips to murder local wildlife if anyone wants in

Impotence fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 18, 2014

Werkwerk
Dec 23, 2003
Fat.
Going raiding in about an hour or so. Hop on if you want to come we have lots of spare poo poo and lots of stupid pubbies to dig out of holes

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
I haven't played this in a good long while. It's good to hear that the grind is reduced, I might hop on again. You guys got any positions vacant? I'm thinking dye maker/juice maker/happyhappy cult member.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Broand posted:

I haven't played this in a good long while. It's good to hear that the grind is reduced, I might hop on again. You guys got any positions vacant? I'm thinking dye maker/juice maker/happyhappy cult member.

We could use more priests, but they have a bunch of restrictions and it'll take you 8 days to get access to the good spells. There's no grinding involved in though. We always need archers, and we could use a skilled bowmaker to spam out some high quality willow longbows and shortbows. Another blacksmith would be great too, especially with all the new folks joining up recently.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

We could use more priests, but they have a bunch of restrictions and it'll take you 8 days to get access to the good spells. There's no grinding involved in though. We always need archers, and we could use a skilled bowmaker to spam out some high quality willow longbows and shortbows. Another blacksmith would be great too, especially with all the new folks joining up recently.

I've been busy collecting all the wood and resources we have scattered across the kingdom. We should probably pull the tiny iron lumps out of the forge to cool and then combine them in a bsb. Sure the quality will be poo poo but we can at least use it to skill boost then melt down again to do whatever.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Got another combat report from last night. We assembled the largest raid force so far for our village and loaded everyone onto a knarr, which is basically a Viking longboat and one of the larger and faster boat types in this game. We scouted out a handful of semi-organized pubbies building a settlement not far from us and spent a few minutes rifling through their meager possessions - they claimed they had just started playing that day. We then started bashing our way into their iron mine with giant hammers but were interrupted by two more pubbies who rolled up on a sailboat and started lobbing arrows at us. We returned fire and quickly brought them down to half health before they turned the boat around and escaped. Next time we'll keep our own boat nearby for chasing. Then some unfamiliar pubbie starts swimming towards us while acting like he knew one of us - none of us knew who the hell he was so we started shooting at him too but I think he drowned before we killed him. We continued bashing into the mine but it was taking too long - we'll have to start using catapults and ballista now if we want to break into walled-off areas. We continued on to the "safe" public spawning point for the enemy Jenn-Kellon kingdom and terrorized the area a bit, but were unable to catch anyone out in the open. A few goons needed to leave at the point and the rest of us should have too, but we pressed on deeper into Jenn-Kellon territory to the settlement we looted last night. We looted a few more things and nearly killed another pubbie and then we found a lightly fortified village further inland surrounded by endless swarms of mobs and NPC guards. We bashed on their walls fruitlessly for a few minutes while monsters rushed at us from all sides, and then we got split up while returning the boat and lost a goon to a large mob train. So now we've found a few good soft targets to hit on the east coast of the map once we have some siege weapons ready, but we should probably look for stronger and wealthier targets elsewhere now that our village is getting larger and more developed. Alternatively we could just troll the spawn point by planting fake protest signs or automated turrets or something, given that we marauded through the area mostly unopposed for over 2 hours.

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 18, 2014

GoldenJoe
Aug 9, 2006
Fourth time something something; I'm back in as Stegaman.

Kill me now god.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

BERGfu posted:

I've been busy collecting all the wood and resources we have scattered across the kingdom. We should probably pull the tiny iron lumps out of the forge to cool and then combine them in a bsb. Sure the quality will be poo poo but we can at least use it to skill boost then melt down again to do whatever.

You can use low quality iron to make arrowheads, nails, iron ribbons and such. The low quality logs are good for carving up into shafts, arrow shafts, handles and stuff like that. Or just using as forge fuel.

GoldenJoe posted:

Fourth time something something; I'm back in as Stegaman.

Kill me now god.

We kept your giant farm in the desert on Indy for at least a year after you quit last time. Serp renamed it "The GoldenJoe Memorial Farm" and used it to grind until some random guy exploited a bug to remove the gatehouse and deed it for himself.

Depends fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Raid in almost 4 hours, just before 3 PM PST
Get a quiver ready of war arrows QL 40+ and a good longbow/shortbow
Also a shield + one handed weapon of your choice

Made a bunch of everything and put them in the gear plaza chests, just needs to be improved.

• Locked thread