Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Clochette posted:

Mark Wahlberg Is Seeking a Pardon for His 1988 Assault Conviction

Fun fact: as a young man, Mark Wahlberg committed multiple hate crimes. He threw rocks at black schoolchildren and shouted racial slurs at them, and was actually charged with attempted murder for beating and permanently blinding a Vietnamese man in one eye. (Again, while shouting racial slurs.) He served 45 days in prison. Now he's asking to be pardoned for it because being an attempted murderer is keeping him from mentoring troubled youth or some poo poo.

If Wahlberg didn't have the extraordinary luck of being a celebrity, right now a guy named Slinky would be tattooing a swastika onto Marky-Mark as he served his third sentence for armed robbery in a correctional facility. poo poo, my uncle tried to kill a guy with a shovel once and he ended up being a homeless heroin addict.

Wahlberg didn't even apologize, he was just like "lol my bad about that thing with the hate crime, I'd apologize to that fine Vietnamese fellow but I haven't gotten around to it yet because I'm too busy being a movie star. It's cool though, I forgive myself and I go to church like a million times a year"

what the fuuuuck

I forgive Mark Wahlberg, but I don't forgive you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

1988 is older than i exist, and the 80s were a different time where it was probably more okay to gouge out an asian man's eye, so who am I to judge. We can play what-if games all day about how he would be if he wasn't famous, but he is, he does charity work, and he should be able to do that. Bunch of pearl clutching liberal bitches in here who think 27 years isn't long enough to atone for some bullshit you did in the 80s.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

liberals think they're God :rolleyes:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Peztopiary posted:

Real Talk he served his time (pathetically little as it was) so the question becomes is it useful for society to know who you were in the past. That's an unequivocal yes. It's great that he's a good person now, but that doesn't invalidate who he used to be.

Except that it's preventing him from doing good things right now. And it's actually stupid as hell that future good works can actually be hindered by past debts you've actually already paid back to society.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Peztopiary posted:

I mean he can't become a cop, (lol gotta commit all your crimes after you're on the other side of the blue line) but a conviction isn't going to stop him from opening a charity or other group. Maybe due to some crazy state law cops couldn't coordinate directly with him, but they sure could with someone who worked for his charity. Nah, this is about being above the law once you're famous enough. I dig that he is doing good works now, but he still committed a crime and people should still have access to that information. As an example, if you were a charity devoted to helping at risk Asian teens maybe you'd want to take a close look at the dude before you partnered up with his charity.

We'll just have to disagree. I don't think the law should be a tool to mark and damage people who break it, except maybe pedophiles and murderers and even then if rehabilitation is possible that's an avenue I'd like to explore. The only time criminals should be marked as dangerous and punished from here to the end is pretty much all kinds of sex offender and people who have taken lives, and not just body parts, of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Victim forgives him, was blinded prior to assault.

Heh.

• Locked thread