Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I think we can all agree the stupidest thing in the dlc is the fact that hard is locked till "sometime in January". Are they expecting everybody to cheese normal so they can fix it before opening hm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Roman posted:

https://twitter.com/LukeWasRight/status/542048687749218304

"There is neither a "new level 31 hard VoG," nor a "third difficulty for VoG" in The Dark Below."

(He's the designer of VoG)

Why even fix Templar if they were just going to make VoG obsolete a week later?

Tomahawk posted:

*defends the retarded exotic upgrade design decisions that Bungie will fix in a few weeks like a bitchmade nerd*

I don't think anybody actually did that, but go ahead and keep whining about it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

You can't do the crota raid until you get attuned by killing Atheon :v:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Linx posted:

Is the new faction gear there to push past L30 or is it comparable with the VoG set?

Pretty sure its the catchup mechanic for people that aren't already level 30. Too bad they put it behind a lovely grind.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Did you get loot off of the Deathsinger before Crota? Seems like its bit too difficult for not to reward loot.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

I've seen this so many times in other contexts.

Bungie didn't realize what it had when it was working under the Microsoft aegis (aka doesn't give a gently caress, lets you do your thing without direct "shareholder" (aka upper management's focus on hitting it bonus and/or carveout plans) pressure).

Wtf went wrong with Rare then?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

plape tickler posted:

So vanguard armor is basically pointless unless you want to hit 31 before raiding.

A full set is currently the only way to finish the raid, unless you constantly delete and remake characters until you get 42 radiant shards and two pieces of raid gear, or 21 shards and two fully upgraded vanguard pieces.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

^^^: no, of course your rep doesn't drop a level. Commendations are just a separate currency you earn when you reach a new rank.

plape tickler posted:

Have they said if the raid helmet only drops in hard mode again? Also a full set of raid gear light level 36 will only = level 32? Is there an explanation of the new light levels somewhere?

The gap between levels after 30 is 12 instead of 11. You need 132 for level 31 and 144 for 32.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

So on the second section of the raid, are you supposed to not kill the gatekeepers? I wasn't one of the first people across the gap so I didn't get to try it, but can't you kill them with the sword? I spent the second half of that fight running a circle on the bridge syncplate

mbottoms posted:

Got through the first section on CE with some fine goons. We're going out of our way to maintain our ignorance so I haven't been keeping up with the thread since the expac. As a result I don't know if anyone has mentioned how astoundingly useful bladedancers are for CE phase 1. This makes me so very happy.

Voidwalkers are really good for that section as well. The chain explosion ability works wonders. Plus the melee buff is great for catching up if you get behind.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

ROJO posted:

you definitely have to kill the gatekeepers. We found that if the person who grabbed the sword didn't kill the corresponding gatekeeper or get them down to pretty much a 1 HKO, it was a wipe. They are immune to non-sword damage. Each person who runs across the bridge with the sword has to kill a gatekeeper (or die valiantly with enough time that someone else who has already made it over can pick up the sword from their fuming corpse and finish the gatekeeper off). We found the Titan blind grenades do a great job of keeping the gatekeepers busy so the swordbearer can murder them safely. Once we started sending a titan across as the first swordbearer, it went pretty smoothly once we got into the rythm.

That's what I figured, we somehow managed to do it with 6 invulnerable gatekeepers running wild. I knew that running around in a circle on the syncplate couldn't have been the intended method.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

NAT KING SWOLE posted:

VoG still drops exotics with old stats and atheon is still bugged to poo poo but I guess I should have expected that.

At least you can't cheese Templar now :v:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Are you that anxious to get the shaders and emblems? It's been less than 24 hours and just from running her bounties, I'm a level 1.

You won't even need the Shards and Energies until you've 1) gotten gear for it, and 2) leveled that gear to where it needs the materials. That could take weeks or months worth of raiding to get that gear.

We're only one day in and I already need the ability to convert energies into shards. I want to get 31 without having to grind two commendations and its 21 shards to max out a piece of armor.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

FishBulb posted:

Oh. I just assumed it didn't

Hopefully its a crota drop on normal, since it will probably be impossible to kill HM crota without a level 32 on the sword.

Has there been any word about his loot table from the few groups that managed to down him? I assume that you can get non primary raid weapons off him.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Its Miller Time posted:

So legendary VoG weapons will be useless eventually? Sucks, just got Hezen Vengeance.

Also you should all solo run the first chest in the new raid. Took 1 wipe for it to be there at the first door on the left.

Several of the VoG guns are excellent in CE. Visions of Confluence is workhorse on every part of it, Hezen Vengeance is probably pretty good on the pre crota trash if you aren't a Gjallerhaver.

I hear the Fatebringer is great for the first section, but I wouldn't know :shakefist:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Forgot to post this yesterday, but you can cheat the "kill 10 majors in nightfall" bounty similar to the pocket infinity cheese. I dunno if any old enemy will work, but I was getting credit for it while doing a public event outside of the strike.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

absolomb posted:

It's pretty easy to finish that bounty just running the nightfall regularly though. I think I finished it halfway through the strike because of all the majors that show up.

I didn't have time to do the full nightfall last night so I was just going through solo to knock the bounty out. After dying a couple times I caught the tail end of a public event and the majors on that completed the bounty for me.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, marks and cloaks and bonds.
Are motes used for anything other than that?

Trials of Osiris will use them... eventually

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

Well currently you can get the first chest in the raid without killing a single enemy. Drop into the hell mouth, run to the left wall and scoop up the chest in the little cubby behind the door. If it's not there die to thralls and try again. Do it on all three characters for easy shards.

If you really wanted to cheese it hardcore, start a new character, play until you unlock the moon and open the chest. Dump materials in vault, delete character, repeat until you puke.

You still have to level to 20, I'm pretty sure you can't enter the raid and open the chest in patrol mode.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

WE DOIN IT NOW posted:

Yea I already did this on all 3 characters. Got 2 energy and 2 of the class items. Cleared up to Crota in the raid and ended up with 7 shards. Enough to upgrade my raid chest piece once. Unless Crota drops another 7 I'm not sure how we upgrade these things in a reasonable time period.

Meanwhile I've got 199 ascendant energy and 148 asc shards doing a fat lot of jack poo poo in my bank. Oh and they're still giving me more of these things in nightfalls, dailies, and events. Awesome.

Eris should let you exchange old mats for new mats at a 10:1 ratio for glimmer.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

bloodychill posted:

It is a garbage fight where if you're playing on harder modes you won't even actually see the boss too because staying the boss room is inviting a clusterfuck onto yourself.

While overall the patch really improves the experience of the game, I think it's fair to be disappointed that there are absolutely no new enemy types. Not even really variations on the old types, either, just reskins.

You didn't see the arc shielded wizards? That's a completely new enemy right there.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Are you sure that's more efficient than the new strike playlist? IIRC you only get 1800xp per match.

I hope I'm wrong, but I believe the only thing that gives weapon and armor XP is kills and bounties. Missions completions only give class skill and note of light XP.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

bringer posted:

Why does it say trial edition in the upper left corner when he loads in from orbit?

Is he on a hacked PS3 using the demo to prevent getting his real account banned?

I bet you're right, especially since he doesn't have the starter ship.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Harlock posted:

Buy and shard exotics every week too.

Exotics only give exotic crystals, not the radiant shards used for crota gear.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

sunday at work posted:

The biggest problem with the raid drops is that other games fixed the same problems long ago. Just have tokens drop instead of gear (no more dups and never getting that last piece) and have marks awarded for each checkpoint (so you can buy waht doesn't drop after putting in some time). I'm not a programmer but that has got to be easier than a "tunned" or whatever RNG.

What games do this? WoW has been going in the opposite direction from this for years and I'm pretty sure Final Fantasy doesn't do this either.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm willing to bet that Destiny 2 will probably be current gen only.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Might as well cut your losses now and get a ps4

Akuma posted:

I got a purple MG almost immediately after firing up the Dark Below content (Against All Odds) and it seems to fire through the knight barriers. Why is that? Is that an effect of solar damage or what?

I dunno why but ever since the dlc came out you can shoot through knight's shields sometimes. When I did nightfall, my praedyth's timepiece was shooting through shields.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Crowbear posted:

I've never had a problem killing the gatekeeper by just spamming R1. If you do it right it should just chain stagger him and he'll die without ever getting an attack in.

Both R1 and R2 spam work fine for killing gatekeepers, the only way you can gently caress it up is by not making it across in time to kill it or somehow choking and not attacking it.

I'm curious if the gatekeepers will be more difficult on hardmode. Perhaps they will have Angry or you'll have to solo 2 at once everytime.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Rama of Ra posted:

Can you still get the first VoG chest solo? I'm trying to get some shards quick to pop my warlock to 30.

Join a normal VoG group and then by pure coincidence have to leave suddenly due to an emergency.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Its Miller Time posted:

Took 3 hours but we took down Crota with the goon group. A few things we learned:

1. It's again seriously all about the timing. The sword carrier should be there before he begins the kneeling animation.
2. We ended up going with all R2/smash. Each hit does 14.3k damage. In a good round you do 3 and in a great round you do 4. He has 250k health so you need 18 smash's to down him. So if you get a solid 3 in each go, with 2 go's per sword, that's 12. He had like 20% health going into into the ogres the first time.
3. No reason to get greedy. His shield recharges before he even begins to stand up.
4. We waited for him to move back to the middle from right. It's about repeatable timing, you only need 3 swords if you can get 3 smash's each time twice.
5. Some times there was a shitload of knights/exploding thralls on left as we got back from ogres. We had heavy's out.
6. It's important the sword carrier run backwards kiting the swordbearer so you can all quickly kill him together, he loves to hide. It requires trust from the sword carrier that you're clearing the thralls around him.

The sword carrier makes the raid. If he can't consistently get at least 3 smash's in you won't do it. We found 2 uppercut combos was impossible to get off in time. Plus if you can't do the last move, the smash, you're doing way less damage.

How do you get 3 R2s in? when I was doing it I was only getting 2 in before I had to book it. Do you have to be swinging as he goes down?

e: oh this was answered 2 posts ago :v:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I got a purple engram today and was excited to find out that The Devil You Know can still drop, and then I noticed that it was capped at 300 damage :bungie:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Bandire posted:

Wait really? Newly dropped purple engrams can still produce pre-expansion legendaries? Did you get it in VOG or something?

Pretty sure I got it after finishing the Shrine of Oryx missions while doing a couple bounties. I know I didn't pick it up as a drop, I remember getting it after completing something.

I was ecstatic as gently caress when I first got it, and now I'm just pissed.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Even though the perks are kinda meh post-DLC, the New Monarchy AR is the only good AR you can get from venders.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Alman posted:

This is like 3 pages old so maybe someone has made this suggestion, but if Bungie is committed to their "radiant" currency, VoG drops should dismantle into radiant materials

Then they'd be "forcing" people to do the old raid just to upgrade their gear. They should just make the daily story mission give out radiant mats in addition to rear end mats.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Coca Koala posted:

Found a video of some people two-manning crota.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdTwCa6ozbI

As far as I can tell, the big thing to do is to kill the swordbearer quickly. I've been in a few groups who have tried to stay on the left, and it seems like we invariably wipe when we do that; we burn thirty seconds to a minute just waiting for the swordbearer to mosey his way over to us before we kill him. It may be more successful to designate a couple people who's job it is to just go into the center and gently caress him up promptly so you can get started on the first kneel right away.

Holding the center as opposed to the left side seems like a better plan as well, because then you're right there when the swordbearer spawns. If I can get into a raid tonight, I'll try to push for this and we'll see how it goes. Anecdotally, the one group I was in that beat Crota really smoothly held the center and it only took us a few tries to get it.

What do you mean by holding the center? Do you mean the center right below crota where you have to deal with every single enemy? I assume you mean the bottom middle where people go to hide from the ogres. You still have the exact same issues with the swordbearer there unless its that 1 in 100 time that he starts there for no reason.

The sword bearer isn't a big deal as long as somebody baits him to where the group is and nobody shoots him until he's close enough. Once he's in position, sticky grenades work perfectly for keeping him in place.

VVVV: You forgot the loot from completing the abyss section. That's 10 possible shards a week which still isn't very much.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 17, 2014

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Is it just because you kill the major before you fire all three bullets or does the perk literally make it not function?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

RCarr posted:

This should be in the OP. This is the proper response to the complaints. Of course, unfortunately, this makes you a piece of poo poo bungie apologist rear end-licker.

If that was in the OP, then people might think that this is a hugbox thread :rolleyes::fh:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Levantine posted:

I still wonder how much of the problem stems from Bungie or Activision. Bungie made a solid core shooter but it's wrapped in so many bad design decisions it's hard to really figure out where the problems begin. I wonder how much of it is Activision pushing Bungie towards some inevitable freemium model.

Pretty sure they just wanted to make a pseudo mmo where people buy dlc packs instead of paying a monthly subscription, but without all the back end costs like hosting their own servers.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I wouldn't blame him though, who wants to read 400 posts whining about not getting loot?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Evidence of bungie being terrible is not necessarily that that bug exists and has existed for so long (although it is evidence of bad coding practices most likely) it's that they simply haven't switched or removed that perk on all the high end gear.

Seriously wtf, just disable the loving perk

The gently caress?

I'd much rather have to deal with swapping my boots every wipe than to not have the ability to have 7 gjhorn rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

Except the game is kind of built around dying a lot. It happens all the time unless you're doing trivial content, and bugs that penalize it further than going back to a checkpoint should have been fixed months ago.

They should have fixed the perk months ago, but outside of the abyss and bad timing as the sword carrier, its incredibly easy to live through CE.

• Locked thread