Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

it's literally loving retarded

If I support dead orbit I wear its item to get their care packages. I play crucible to get the marks (maxed in anticipation) to spend at their tower shop, but because I haven't leveled crucible enough (by NOT wearing the dead orbit mark) I can't buy dead orbit gear?

you have to be loving kidding me, right?

Are you sure you don't also get Crucible commendations by leveling faction rep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

ComfortablyNumb posted:

I play on 360, but I've never raided and I don't have a mic. I'm awesome...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

AdmiralZalgo on 360. I have no mic and am looking to do the raids on normal out of interest more than anything.

Get mics you dummies.

My GT is A Frozen Embryo, feel free to add me.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

haveblue posted:

You can already do this. You can launch the raid with any number of players, people launch CE with 1 all the time. No one does this for VOG only because it drops you right into the door-opening sequence and monsters attack you.

They are saying you would, after the inclusion of matchmaking, have this continue to be an option. Instead of having no choice but to automatically fill empty slots through matchmaking.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

I never understood this because no where else in the game that I can find, is there a number referenced on those stats.

Gear gives +2 agility and the perks add to it by just showing you how much it adds on the bar. There's also no +X anything to recovery or armor on any other gear. The perk might as well be +1,000,000 agility because the numbers are meaningless without a frame of reference and the difference is negligible. If they added a number at the end of your stat bars like Agility 7/10 that would help.

I also have no idea what agility does. I've read that it affects your jump height, reload time and run speed but I've never noticed a difference. I've never noticed a difference with recovery and armor either, but at least the stat names are self-explanatory.

If you're like me and have an unquenchable desire to climb up every piece of scenery like a drat mountain goat then you would absolutely notice the change in jump height that agility gives you.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Coca Koala posted:

Eh, Fang of Ir Yut is a decent scout rifle and Third Eye is nice. And the Oversoul Edict is one of the better pulse rifles in the game, and shooting through knight shields is pretty good.

I agree that in general, the Crota weapons are much more situationally biased towards being good against hive, as opposed to guns like Vision of Confluence or Fatebringer which are basically always good.

I like the idea that your team gets better and better against Crota and his minions as you collect spoils from the raid. Maybe you could even get to a situation where you don't have to do these ridiculous boomer-distracting techniques in Hard, just have some people with Edicts to wreck the boomers and people with Defiant to wreck the wizards. If only there was a special ogre-killing weapon as well.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately with no Chalice, primary weapons are pretty much dictated to be ones that restore health.

And Crota normal you could bring in a crate of potato guns and still win.

Doesn't every class have an exotic armor that restores health on orb pickups? The flood of thralls that stay on the ground act as a great orb reservoir.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Or ever, really. I got a pentuple kill Nova Bomb the other day that I wish I could have recorded.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

The Duke posted:

There's like 10 of us and we are all raid dads :getin:

A family can be ten dads. That's it, just ten dads with no kids.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

General Battuta posted:

The inaccurate/confusing perk descriptions are mostly my fault*.

I struggled a lot with how to convey some of these concepts concisely and clearly. For example, let's say you have a barrel that gives you more recoil, but makes the weapon tend to kick upwards more often than it kicks side to side. They hand you a spreadsheet that says 'Barrel 3: Recoil 20, Recoil Angle -30, Range 5' and you have to turn that into a quick, clear description for someone trying to decide which barrel to use. And the description has to be just as clear when translated into Japanese or German or Portuguese.

First I tried doing it all as one sentence. 'More recoil, but more vertical recoil. Slightly increased range.' It looked awful and you couldn't hold it in your head while comparing barrels. I ended up trying to use line breaks and a lot of very terse description. A lot of times I accidentally put a space after the line break, so you'd get crap like

Amazing Perk
_Good at Shooting
Bad at Talking

The sights, in particular, I wish I'd done another pass on and totally renamed. Ranged Lens RLR5 vs Ranged Lens RLS3, a lot of good affordance in those names! Ugh. But I think the barrel and launch tube names worked pretty well...

*there are lots of production realities around game strings which I couldn't really change, like the fact that the perk behavior could change after the point when the description strings were locked down, but, still

I guess the question is why not just have the description be "Recoil 20, Recoil Angle -30, Range 5"?

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Hey 360 goons, our third player for Trials of Osiris dropped. Who wants to be me and Spartan's third?

I'd take you up on this but I assume you want to win.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah it's confusing.

A while back, the Guardians tried to retake the moon, but Crota was fully present and hosed them up. This pissed of Eris and her squad, so they grabbed Toland (of bad juju fame) and went to try to kill him. Most of them died, except Eris and maybe Toland(?) but I think they were actually successful, kind of, and managed to gently caress up Crota to the point where he had to chill in his home dimension and/or a giant crystal for a while until he felt better. But he couldn't just waltz in, he needed a ritual to bring him through the big crystal. His home dimension is where you go in the raid, the hive fortress with the oversoul sun. The Hive were trying to bring him from there to here, on the moon, again. You bust up the big j/o crystal, which stops them from summoning him/banishes him from Earth-realm, or something. Then in the raid you go to his house and kill his girlfriend and then kill him for realzies (until next week when you want another loot drop).

I honestly wonder how the hell Eris et al did anything to Crota when he was incarnated and at full power. Motherfucker cut gashes in the Moon that are visible from Earth. Like, with a sword.

Thinking about it like that makes it sort of disappointing that Oryx, father of Crota, who is a god, is just some big guy with wings.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

TheSwingLord posted:

which is another reason that VoG is better than crota's end. VoG is basically "check out this sweet cave... let's go find out what's down here" and that's about as simple and fun an adventure hook as anyone can come up with.

I think there was some interview where they were talking about the guiding themes of the two raids. For VoG it was "descent" and for CE it was "one-way trip" which is largely accomplished by falling down large holes.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Arrath posted:

It is kinda funny that a fuckin spaceship is tied on to the railing with a rope like its a horse out front of an old west saloon.

It's not even tied, the rope is just loosely looped around the railing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Polaron posted:

Does anyone around here still play this terrible fun game on the 360 or am I just poo poo out of luck in completing my Moments of Triumph? I asked in the private servers thread but the 360 Clan seems to be dead and I still need hard mode of both Raids (well, I've never done Crota at all) and Skolas.

Join the clan "No Goons Beyond" there is still some level of activity there.

• Locked thread