Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Jeanine Delacroix
Hot -1 Cold: 1 Violatile -1 Dark 2
Harm 0/4 exp: 2/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker

I hand off the locket, but I tense as I do it, looking at Magdalena, just in case she charged. Would she, with a policeman right here? Of course, then Jamie walks out, and my heart chills. "Toby. White girl with an injury. Not Our Problem Department doesn't need much more to switch safeties to off. " And part of me wonders what she's saying there. "If we're going to come out quietly, we'd better do it really, really calmly. What's our story? Scouting out a spooky place for a Halloween party?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jamie, the cop doesn't like that. He growls, "Come here you little..." He grabs your arm, twisting it behind you. Hard. He slams you against the car while he fumbles with his keys. After he manages to the open the car door, he tosses you into it. Your head hits the window on the other side, and he locks the door. He turns back towards the warehouse, about to walk in.
Take your second harm
Also, you're locked in a car. That's unfortunate.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Jamie Reeves
"You rear end in a top hat!" Whatever, I'm sure I've given everyone plenty of time to escape. I start dialing Candy, one of my fellow waitresses who I know is not on a shift tonight, to be ready to pick me up from the police station. I don't want to miss the party tonight after all!

I've done this for Toby before, when it was just the two of us on a hunt. Hopefully he doesn't decide this is the time to play hero and save me.

e; I spend a string on Toby to make him hold steady before trying to save me or really do anything than run or hide like that one time.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 16, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 0
Harm 1/4 Exp 3/5 Conditions: No Manners, Drained
He takes the locket, and shoves it in his jean pocket. "Sounds like a plan, let's stick to that story." he gives Maggie a warning glance, but that's all, no time to talk about the delicateness of the situation. The cop's coming, so as soon as the locket's away, he puts his hands, up, palms facing outwards, but he keeps silent - the last thing they need in this situation is the big, dumb, black man opening his mouth and pissing this guy off.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Magdalene DuRousseau
Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile 1, Dark -1
Harm 0/4 Exp 0/5 Conditions:

Blast it all! drat this policeman and his poor timing. drat Tobias and his blind trust in this dirty thief. drat Jamie and her kind, self sacrificing soul. Most of all, drat Jeanine and her opportunistic behavior. I turn to face the intruding lawman, raising my hands as well.

"Is there a problem, officer?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 0/4 exp: 2/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker

And now, time has run out. So far for running. But if he followed Toby, he'd likely just get this later. One asset. There is no knife here, bloody or otherwise. I too raise my hands. "Oh, officer. Is Jamie ok? We were looking around for a Halloween party spot. But Jamie accidentally cut herself, so Toby came to help!"

Roll Hot to manipulate officer: 2d6-1 2 Welp

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 16, 2014

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Warehouse crew, the cop re-levels the gun as the three of you. "Freeze!"

At Jeanine's exclamation, he pulls out his his club and hits you in the ribs, "I said freeze!" Your breath goes out of you as you collapse to your knees.
Take a harm

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 1/4 exp: 2/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker

Ngh... Ouch. Oh yeah, this is New Orleans. I groan in pain on the ground. But my eyes are looking around. If I get my hands on a token, this rear end in a top hat is going to have some bad times in his future. For now, I just keep my head down.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau

As the policeman strikes Jeanine I feel an unexpected surge of anger. She may be a thief, and a liar, but she is my problem and not a matter for some low-bred hired brute to interfere in. The pistol does not frighten me, I who have spent a century and a half buried alive. But I will not be chained up like a criminal.

Lash Out Physically: 2d6+1 8

The cop can do me harm in return

I grab him by his uniform shirt, roaring like a maniac, and throw him into a stack of rotten wood and rusty metal. I jump at him again, and there is a loud report, and my chest feels hot.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 4/5 Conditions: No Manners, Drained
Marking one XP for 'Growing Pains'

Toby grimaces, and glares, but... even confronting an rear end in a top hat like this, he's not dumb enough to charge a cop with a gun... holy poo poo, Maggie! He freezes, for a moment. The police officer will know now, he'll know there are supernatural things, he'll know they're associated with them. He can't be allowed to say anything, it would ruin /everyone/ here... and frankly, anyone who hits an unarmed teenage girl with her hands up, with a truncheon for nothing is a monster, as far as he's concerned. While Maggie grapples with him, Toby runs for the rebar, and before he can think better of it, heads for the policeman, rebar poised like a spear, to punch through one of the cop's eyes, and into his brain.

Lash Out 2d6+1 = 10

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Magdalene, thankfully you don't actually breathe. So, the fact that a small piece of metal blew through your chest is just incredibly painful instead of lethal.
Take 2 harm

Toby, you are blindingly fast as you shove a piece of rebar into his head. He screams for a moment before it's cut short. The outside of the warehouse is deathly silent, as every just stares at the body for a momen
Deal two harm and 10+ deal an extra harm.

You all hear the an ambulance waling in the distance, growing close and closer.

What do you do?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
I freeze and drop my phone before I make my call when I hear the gunshot. Mags, Toby, you were supposed to run! I start panicking. I have to help them but I already gave myself up!

I pick up my phone again and start kicking the window with all my might. I know the glass won't break but the frame around it might!

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 1/4 exp: 2/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker

No... no.

"What the gently caress did you do?" I get up to shout at the creature. "Were you hungry or something? It was just a police beating. Nothing to start this about. poo poo, poo poo, poo poo. A dead cop is loving NOT what we need right now." I look around. Where are fingerprints? loving everywhere. I can't... I can't deal with this alone. I need to do something. Something stupid. Something Auntie would tell me I'll probably regret for a long time.

"Give me... give me a moment." I step away from the others, reaching into my pack to pull out a fine cigar. My hands shake as I put it in my mouth, and then I light it. Not according to the rules at all. But then, he tends to be flexible with them. He's powerful, but the price is often horrible. I inhale the smoke, then exhale it.

"Baron Samedi, I'm sorry to bother you. But I may need some help to make our appointment. I'll owe you a favour. A large one." I say quietly.

Gaze into the Abyss with Baron Samedi: 2d6+2 9 I need some clarity. I'll take the Drained Condition[/i]

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau
Harm 2/4 Exp 0/5 Conditions:

My first thought, as foolish as it is, is regret that this blouse has a hole in it now. It was second hand, desperately unfashionable, and fit me only through a Herculean effort of tailoring, but I was fond of it. And then Tobias steps up like St George and strikes down with a spear against the man who would see me chained up. A sight to steal the breath away, if the hole through my chest had not already taken care of that. Some fluid is leaking from the bullet hole, dark and unpleasant. I roll off the fresh corpse and look at at my savior, chest heaving as I try to speak.

"You...you saved me. Thank you. I don't know what came over me."

Jeanine decides to ruin the moment with a streak of blue language and aspersions against my character. I sniff haughtily.

"I do not know how you were bought up, but I was not raised to meekly accept whatever brutality a mere policeman might think he is entitled to offer me. I thought you were made of sterner stuff, or can you only be brave when you hold all the cards?

She walks away not hearing a word because she's busy clearly struck by my wit.

I can hear the sirens, and nearer by someone pounding against glass and metal.

"Jamie!"

I rise to my feet, take the pistol and go out to the car.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 16, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Anastaise Lumière, the Fae
Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +1
Harm 0/4  XP 3/5  Terrified

Ferrosol posted:

"Oh umm, hey Anastaise right? Yeah I bought these for the party tonight. Will you be attending? Most of our class is planning to be there and it's a good way to get to know everyone."
"Oh, yes, of course I'll be there! I was just thinkin' of lookin' around for somethin' to wear, a lot of my poo poo got hosed up in the storm. You know, not like, unwearable, but I'd rather have somethin' new. You wanna help me pick somethin' out?" I look in through the window and notice poor Vicky inside, looking pissed. "Hm, she's lookin' kinda upset. Maybe we should invite her along? I kinda pissed her off earlier, I think."

I give Elizabeth a big smile and a hug -- gently caress, it feels good to talk to someone normal for once -- and then pull her over so I can lean in through the cafe door. "Hi, Vicky! You, uh, you okay?" Doin' my best 'casual friend who isn't interested in your guy' impression, here. "I was gonna go shoppin' for a bit, you know, since it's cooled off a little. You wanna come?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Anastaise, your Dad's laughing drawl returns. "My, my. We just spoke not a moment ago. I love ya honey, but I do have other matahs to attend to. Still, I'm here, so let's see what's wrong." A moment of silence, and then his voice resumes speaking, sans laughter, "Hm. Someone lied to ya, did they? Broke a promise, and you want to keep 'em from doin' it again. I can understand that. Let me give you a line to someone who can help you keep her in line."

You feel something placed in your pocket. It's a business card.

"Now, Daddy's got work to do. I shouldn't like to hear from you until tonight. Understand, child?"

He leaves with as little fanfare as he arrived. You finger the card in your pocket.

"Jonathan Marlby
Urban Renewal Planner
1300 Perdido Street
504-555-0120"

As you see Elizabeth, you replace the card in your pocket. You'll figure it out later. You're going to go pretend to be normal for a moment.

Elizabeth, Vicky gives you and Anastaise a confused look. "Did... do you know what just happened?" She looks over at the owner of the coffee shop and says, louder, "Yeah, I'll go shopping with y'all. Thanks for stopping by." As you walk out, she leans in, whispering even though no one else is anywhere near you on the street. "I didn't think the rumors were true, but there was that police officer at school this morning, right when Toby got called down. Do... do you think he did it? You know, killed that guy they found this morning?"

Jeanine, you have to puff a little longer than you're accustomed to doing, and the smoke starts to make you choke. You even have to pull out your matches again to relight it once. Just before you decide that he's not coming, however, the smoke coalesces into almost featureless face. It bites the cigar out of your mouth and flips it around, giving it a good puff. Baron Samedi's voice, usually full of laughs, is clipped, annoyed even. He mutters, "You girls are gonna run me ragged." Puffing again, his normal tone of dangerous humor returns, asking, "What you need, child? I mean, I KNOW you didn't call me up 'cause you want me to undo you and your own's drat foolish mistakes. Cause... that would be unwise. And, you sure as hell don't need advice on what to do to clean up the mess. I mean, you got everything you need right in your own hands. It couldn't be clearer if was written on a sign or nothin'. So, obviously this is just a social call. And while I'm normally pleased as punch to while away hours with a pretty young thing like yourself, I'm afraid that I've got my hands full lately. Still, I appreciate the gift. So, we'll call it even."

The smoke and the cigar itself are sucked up as if by a vacuum, and as the last wisps of smoke fade, you see a sign on the warehouse.
"Worldwide Shipping, Inc.
NO SMOKING IN WAREHOUSE."
What do you do?

Magdalene, as you walk away from the body to let Jamie out of the car, your hunger reassurts itself. It grumbles at the though of leaving a perfectly good meal on the ground. It's not even like it would expose you. Everyone here already knows your secret. AND, it rumbles, you happen to have a hole in your chest. You think a meal could do you some good on that front. What do you do?

Toby, you just killed someone. You literally have their blood on your hands. Have you ever killed anyone who wasn't, you know, a monster before? What would your dad say? Are you a monster too, now?

Jamie, you're locked in a police car, getting blood on the back seat. Pretty much sucks. Why have all of your run ins with the police turned out this (well, maybe not quite THIS) lovely?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 16, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 1/4 exp: 2/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker, drained

Yes. I knew. That would have been very unwise. My stomach is pretty much a block of ice right now. clock is ticking. Baron Samedi might have called it even, but I don't doubt there will be prices to pay for tonight. But I don't feel particularly like the American justice system is a fair creditor. So I won't be inclined to have anyone pay for them. I try not to feel. I try to keep emotions at bay to claim something later. Just more debts piling up.

I rush back outside, putting some gloves on as I do. "All..." I cough, my lungs still burning form that cigar. "All right. Talking time has ended." I go to find the keys on the policeman's corpse. "Magdalena, no more gunshots. Toby, use this key, get Jamie out. Then drive the car into the warehouse. Magdalena. Your clothes are already hosed. So you get the corpse into the car. Then get some clothes from Jamie to cover yourself. Burn the clothes later. Jamie, with me. This warehouse has something flammable in it. We should make sure to locate it, and hope that fire does the clean up for us." I hold the matches I've got to make my intentions clear.

I stare hard, trying to forestall any protests. "Move."

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 16, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
I'm not stupid. I know the police like to drive me to their pen because they know a strip club dancer or waitress will pick me up. This does mean they don't shoot at me though and will stop chasing Toby if I act as bait. I guess I do that a lot. Pretend to be bait...

Someone appears in the window I'm trying to kick out, and I reflexively close my legs. It's Mags though, and she lets me out. I hug her and feel wetness on my chest and hand. She's been heartshot clean through. "I need my bag, I'll fix you!" I run back into the building. Toby's got blood on his hands and the policeman's been speared through the head. A minute ago he forbid me from killing. What the hell changed?

I don't have time to ask him, I need to get my bag. I can't remember where I left it... and Jeanine's missing! She must be stealing my things again, I'd actually expect nothing less from her even at a time like this. I have to find her to find the bag. I open my senses. Tobacco smoke. I follow the trail like the blood of a wounded porpoise. I find her. And a familiar face.

Ana's bogeyman and Nina are sharing a cigar. Like they just mated. I knew it. She's evil.

But I don't have my stun gun. Just my phone. I take a picture. Maybe now Toby will see her for the monster she is.

I wait for her to leave, then find my bag nearby. When I rejoin the others she's being bossy--no, she's just repeating what her boss told her. All I do that she says is give Mags my shirt. I don't let her single me out.

"No! The whole building's something flammable. I'll drive the car in here, crash it, and make it look like that caused the fire and killed the man! His own stupidity."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

I give a look towards Jamie. loving prima donna. I feel too drat tired to deal with that. I want to crawl in bed and sleep. Nope, not dealing with that. arguing time could be 'look for what this warehouse contains that merits those warning signs.' I just sigh, shrug and get back inside the warehouse and start looking for the best 'completely destroy the evidence' spot.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Elizabeth Anderson, the Hollow
Hot -1x Cold -1 Volatile 2x Dark 1
Harm 0/4 Exp 3/5 Conditions:

Capfalcon posted:

Elizabeth, Vicky gives you and Anastaise a confused look. "Did... do you know what just happened?" She looks over at the owner of the coffee shop and says, louder, "Yeah, I'll go shopping with y'all. Thanks for stopping by." As you walk out, she leans in, whispering even though no one else is anywhere near you on the street. "I didn't think the rumors were true, but there was that police officer at school this morning, right when Toby got called down. Do... do you think he did it? You know, killed that guy they found this morning?"

"No idea." Elizabeth says to the obviously confused Vicky. "I saw Toby run away and then the policeman chase after him. That's all." When Anastaise and Vicky mention shopping Elizabeth freezes ever so slightly. Still surely she won't be expected to offer much of an opinion on the items purchased so what harm can be done? "Sure I should have plenty of time before the party starts." As the girls step onto the streets she hears Vicky whisper to her, After a moments thought Elizabeth replies "No, I do not judge Toby to be a killer. Willing to fight for what he wants yes, willing to kill no."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Elizabeth and Anastaise, Vicky nods, still confused as to what happened but agreeing. "Yeah, he seems like a nice enough guy. Cute, too."

She looks at the two of you and asks, "So, no one asked either of you to go with them to the party, either, huh? God, boys can be so dense."

Chugging the rest of her coffee, she tosses the paper cup on a pile of debris on the corner. Even though most of the streets have been cleared, garbage collection has been pretty irregular.

She continues, "Well, who needs 'em! Let's all go to the party together tonight."
----------------------------------
Either way, she accompanies you both to the mall. You see a few faces from the first shift at school working here. Everyplace is paying crazy high wages, so a lot of teens are helping their families out by picking up part time jobs. Do either of you work part time?

Vicky drags the two of you into Venus'. A look at a single tag make it clear that everything in here is well out of even your combined price ranges. Obviously not concerned with such silly things as prices, Vicky picks out a few outfits and goes into the changing room. She steps out a moment later to ask the both of you what you think.

Four outfits later, you can tell the attendants are getting annoyed with Vicky, but she only leaves when she's good and ready.
Anastaise, what do you notice that she stole? What do you do about it?
Elizabeth, who do you recognize from your past life?
--------------------------------------
You spot Davis and Luke hanging around the fountain at the mall. As you walk past them to, you catch a bit of the conversation.

"Seriously, I thought I hosed up. You know, moved too fast or something, but the girl's a freak!"
"Man, what happened?"
"She turned me down cold. Thought I misread the signals bad. Then, honest to God, she started doing a striptease! It was fuckin' awesome!"
"...You gotta teach me how to cook."

The both start laughing at that. Vicky didn't seem to hear them. What do you do?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 3/5 Conditions: No Manners
He barely hears Jeanine at first, just staring at the corpse, and the blood on his hands. It was easy to do it in the adrenaline and the anger and the heat of the moment, but now that it's done, and the realization that he killed a man comes to him, Toby doesn't know what to do...

Hold Steady, 2d6-1 = 10 I keep my cool and remove the condition 'Drained'

But he can't loving lose it now, or they're all going down for sure. So he does what he can to help, looking more determined than ever. He wonders if his dad ever did anything like this, killed another person to save a friend? He doubts it. Would he hate him for doing this? What makes him any different than a monster - than the monsters he just lectured about not killing?

Nothing, seems to be the answer. Nothing makes him better.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
"Toby, give me the keys to the cruiser... I'll--see you guys all at the party." Stick the accelerator, dive clear, make sure the building lights up, and not with me in it. Just like the end of Batman Begins, but a car instead of a train.

Hold Steady to be Batfish: 2d6+2 8 keeping my cool.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 3/5 Conditions: No Manners
The keys are given, and Toby grunts something that sounds like "I'm sorry," before he leaves Jamie to do her part.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 16, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau
Harm 1/4 Exp 0/5 Conditions:

With Jamie no longer trapped in police custody and Jeanine clearly busy with some scheme or other I return to the body. Toby is standing staring at the corpse. The fresh, bloody corpse.

"I...do you mind if I..ahem. I did not mean for this to happen, I swear. But now the man is dead it would be a shame to...well, to waste it. If we are going to destroy as much of this evidence as possible I would like to...do my part"

He leaves without saying anything. I hope I have not ruined him with my hasty action. With no-one observing me, I choose a part of the officer - the neck, I think - bite down and tear a chunk of flesh away. He was a muscular and healthy man, his meat is nourishing. It pales compared to the memory of Jamie's thigh, but it will suffice.

Heal 1 harm using Satiety

I clean my mouth with his shirt sleeve, take the nightstick, gather my possessions and walk outside to await Jamie. What is she doing with the car?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Jeanine, as you look around inside, you are forced to come to the conclusion that Jamie is probably right. Dry, dusty air, wooden crates filled with cheap clothing, no sprinkler systems. This place is an fire marshal's nightmare. A spark will send this up in a blaze.

And that's just what Jamie does when she runs the car into the building. The fire will doubtlessly consume any fingerprints you left behind. The ambulance that was called in is almost on top of you.

Where do you all go now?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 16, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
As soon as Toby and Nina are out of sight I carry Mags to my safehouse where we butchered those gangsters. I needle drain her lung, and bandage her sucking wound mostly but not totally, so she can push air out of it when she exhales but doesn't pull any in from it. That's the easy part.

The hard part is during the operation telling her about how everyone is a salty sea, and sometimes when you're on the beach when the tide goes out you find things, secret things. I don't think I need to lie about seeing it in the lines of her palm like with Ana, even though that's easier. Whether she understand how I know--as well as I do at least--I tell her about the man I saw, his name, what I know he did while she was asleep.

The hardest thing though, is that I want to know more about this man so I can kill him for hurting her. And the way for me to do that... well I don't want to damage her again after she got shot and it was all my fault. We didn't even get our things back from Nina because of me. All I got was that picture of her talking with the floating head over a shared cigar. Its hazy and drat, I should have recorded the sound too. It's nothing... useless... I don't have the right to ask anything of her or tell her to do anything.

"I'm sorry. I was weak, I let you down, so now, I'll do whatever you want."

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 17, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

Trust on shady, construction practices to prove the fish-girl right. There was an irony, on a warehouse as wet as New Orleans so vulnerable to flame. But I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. It would burn the evidence. It wasn't a super job. And with a policeman as the victim, the NOPD would probably make it their problem. But this was the best they could do.

Coming out, I noticed Magdalena feeding. I shot a look of disgust, but said nothing. What was the worst, I wondered, that she had simply lost control and attacked like a beast, or had attacked him counting on Toby to help, like a monster.. Whatever the case, beast or monster. She had to die. In an odd way, I respect her. She is determined, in control and steady. More worthy of respect than the fickle fish-girl. After I destroy her, I should make sure she gets a decent burial this time.

The fish girl? Less so. Fickle as the waters she's from. And so, as she gets out of the burning warehouse, I grab her arm, giving her a cold look. "You want your pelt back, fish-girl." I whisper. "Kill Magdalena. Hope you're enjoying your surface world vacation." With that, I break off. Maybe she'd tell Magdalena. Maybe not. It might undermine the trust between them either way. And you never know. And I'm thinking of her as a her now. Well, I guess I do. She is a person I guess.

A person I despise.

Jamie gets one string on me since she fulfilled her promise on a technicality. (technically correct, best correct) But doesn't get her skin back. Her new task is 'Kill Magdalena'

For now, Toby and I go one way, they go the other. We'll meet again. This was just the start. I lead Toby to a place I know. A home somewhere in the French Quarter. Abandoned. But I have a key that fits. Auntie's old place. If I'm going to tell him, it might as well be in this place. It's old, water damaged of course. Clearly the house of an older woman. No signs of voodoo up here. They were all down in the basement. Well, the 'weird ones'. I learned more listening to her while working in the kitchen than sitting in the cellar doing rituals.

Mold is starting to grow all over the place. It'll likely be torn down. But it's not a bad place to rest. I reach in my bag, taking out some sweet cakes. They were normally for Erzulie, but... I figure we need them more than she does right now. "So, a lot to talk about I guess." I say, feeling the tiredness hit me.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau

Jamie is adept with a needle and bandages. With the hole plugged I can speak without wheezing and bubbling distressingly.

healing 1 harm from being given first aid.

Marlby. That was him, the face I saw before being buried, the man I saw walking the streets of this city mere weeks ago. My blood runs cold...colder and I understand now why I hated him so. He was not a friend of Papa, but they had done some business. I remember the party Jamie spoke of, Mama was celebrating her birthday. I was not yet ill, and had enjoyed dancing in the gardens and ballroom. I had started to feel sleepy shortly after taking a drink... drat him. I do not wish to remember anything further. The hate will suffice.

"Never call yourself weak for being kind and good, not while I can hear you. I will not deny that the plan fell through, but we gained more than we lost in the exchange. For now, let us continue with our other plans and school. I will join you in assisting Toby until we can recover our items."

I look over the work she has done on my injuries in a broken mirror. Shot clean through, and less than an hour later I can hardly tell. Whatever I told Jeanine about my humanity, it is clear that I am physically different in so many ways now. I kiss Jamie on the cheek to thank her, and pick up one of her spare shirts. It is a little more revealing than I would prefer, but to be concerned about something like that after what we have shared is ridiculous.

"Do you mind if I borrow this? I will return it in good condition provided no more policemen decide to shoot me."

Turn on Jamie: 2d6+2 7

Once I am decent again I spend some time tending to her injuries. The bite is shallow, but I clean it out and place a large sticking plaster over it. The bruise on her forehead is difficult to treat, but I hold a cold pack on it for a while before we go our separate ways.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Jamie Reeves
Magdalene... how could Nina ask me to murder her? After all we've been through. There has to be some kind of way around it. To just kill her a little. When she models a new top it hits me. La petite mort. "It looks better on you than me... but the pants don't match. Why don't you try the pair I'm wearing now?" In the middle of the transaction, I move in for the little kill.

Turn on Mags: 2d6 9

Giving myself to Mags.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Magdalene DuRousseau
Harm 0/4 Exp 2/5 Conditions:

"I don't normally wear trousers, but if you insis...wait, what are you...oh."

Magdalene gives herself to Jamie, marking 2 XP for indulging her hunger for Jamie and the Satiety move

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Anastaise Lumière, the Fae
Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +1
Harm 0/4  XP 3/5  Terrified
"gently caress, those cocksuckers don't know what they're missin' out on, huh girls?" I force myself to keep smilin', but in my pocket I'm runnin' my fingers along the edge of the business card. He's dangerous. Gotta remember that.

Luckily I've got some cash on me. I've been workin' at the Italian place down the street from the school; Mr. Anseli can be kind of an rear end in a top hat sometimes, but you know, cash is cash. Plus, this one time this guy hits the wine a little hard and tries to hassle Marie, you know, gettin' up too close and whatever, and Mr. Anseli literally throws the guy outta the goddamn door. Guess you get big muscles liftin' sacks of flour all drat day. So yeah, it's safer than a lotta places I could be workin'.

We hang around in Venus' like we've got a chance in hell of buyin' anything. Fun to try poo poo on, anyway. I'm thinkin', must be pretty hard for Vicky to find stuff that fits since, you know, she's a frickin' giraffe (I don't mention that). So, I went diggin' around in the racks and found this sweet blue dress with kind of a turtleneck sorta collar on it, and I guess I did a pretty good job 'cause she looks sexy as gently caress in that thing. She kinda blushes a bit when I tell her so. Guess she's forgotten the whole Simon thing. ...maybe she forgot Simon himself in the process.

Turn on Vicky: 2d6+2 9

...and I guess she decides she wants it pretty bad, 'cause she does this weird thing where she like, switches around some vests and poo poo, you know, like she's tryin' out different looks, and then -- I didn't even catch her doin' it, and I was watchin' her the whole goddamn time -- once we head out she's somehow got that dress crammed in her purse. I almost say somethin', but she looks so fuckin' happy about it, so I bite my tongue. Maybe she's hard up for cash? I'll ask Mr. Anseli if he might wanna hire her on.

We round the corner and see Raoul talkin' to Luke. poo poo. Luke always scares the hell out of me, I dunno why, he's just so drat creepy. So I hang back and cling onto Elizabeth's arm where I can sort of hide behind her. She seems so much more... confident than me, it's like nothin' bothers her at all. drat it, why can't I talk to boys like that? I look up at her uncertainly, waiting for her to take the lead.

Turn on Lizzie: 2d6+2 9

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Anastaise, while you're in Venus', Vicky pulls you to one side. "So, do you like Simon?" As she sees you freeze up, she smiles, gently. "It's ok, if you do. We're not really, you know, together or anything. We got into a fight and said some stuff we shouldn't. So, we're, ah, 'seeing other people' for the time being. Of course, he's actually seeing other people, and the one guy who's talked to me ran off being chased by the police."

She smiles a little sadly at that. Then, her face remembers she's supposed to be having a great time and she says with a grin that doesn't quite reach her eyes, "But! This is probably more fun than coffee would have been, anyway! Boys! Who needs 'em!"

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Elizabeth Anderson, the Hollow
Hot -1x Cold -1 Volatile 2x Dark 1
Harm 0/4 Exp 3/5 Conditions:

Capfalcon posted:

----------------------------------
Either way, she accompanies you both to the mall. You see a few faces from the first shift at school working here. Everyplace is paying crazy high wages, so a lot of teens are helping their families out by picking up part time jobs. Do either of you work part time?

Vicky drags the two of you into Venus'. A look at a single tag make it clear that everything in here is well out of even your combined price ranges. Obviously not concerned with such silly things as prices, Vicky picks out a few outfits and goes into the changing room. She steps out a moment later to ask the both of you what you think.

Four outfits later, you can tell the attendants are getting annoyed with Vicky, but she only leaves when she's good and ready.
Elizabeth, who do you recognize from your past life?

Elizabeth leaned awkwardly against a wall as she waited for Vicky to change into another outfit. Quietly she breathed a sigh of a relief. So far at least Vicky seemed to be happy with the occasional non-committal grunt from her in the way of commentary but she wasn't sure how long that would last. Scanning the shop she looked for a distraction. That was when she saw him, one of the few people in the whole shop that looked as awkward and uncomfortable as she felt. He was waiting for someone to come out of one of the other changing rooms.
With a start she realised she'd seen him...before. A flash of memory returned to her. Elizabeth and another girl (curiously not Cynthia) giggling as they watched him walk past clad in his football jersey his impressively athletic frame causing Elizabeth to blush when he turns to glance at the girls. But what was his name? With a start it came to her. Josh. Elizabeth smiled and stepped over gracefully to him, "Oh Hi Josh, what are you doing here? Haven't seen since before the hurricane, did everyone make it out ok on your side?" Elizabeth gives him a covert scan it seems that he is still well-muscled and despite everything must have been keeping up with his exercise. They chat for a bit and as they part Elizabeth turns and smiles "It's good to see you again anyway, keep in touch. By the way there's a little party tonight at the park if you want to come and bring some friends." Elizabeth steps out of the shop and in several brisk strides catches up with the rest of the group.

Turning on Josh: 2d6-1 10 gaining a string on him.

Capfalcon posted:

--------------------------------------
You spot Davis and Luke hanging around the fountain at the mall. As you walk past them to, you catch a bit of the conversation.

"Seriously, I thought I hosed up. You know, moved too fast or something, but the girl's a freak!"
"Man, what happened?"
"She turned me down cold. Thought I misread the signals bad. Then, honest to God, she started doing a striptease! It was fuckin' awesome!"
"...You gotta teach me how to cook."

The both start laughing at that. Vicky didn't seem to hear them. What do you do?

Rounding the corner with the girls she feels Anastaise's warm grip tighten on her arm. Unaccountably the warmth seems to spread from her arm and melt into the rest of her body as Anastaise presses against her. In front of her is two of the boys from her class. She pauses for a moment as she listens to them. Just boys and their made up fantasies. She steps forward and coolly stares at Davis and in a tone copied from her mothers scolding voice says "And then the bus full of naked women broke down outside, hmm? Come on be more original at least," Davis looks outraged and turns to Luke "I swear man, it's totally true."

Stupid Sexual Fantasies (Shutdown Dark): 2d6+1 8 Putting the condition Fantasist on Davis. And he gets the chance to put a condition on me. :woop:
Edit: Oh and giving a string to Anastaise.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 17, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

The following post was done by splicing together some irc logs, to prevent a mountain of posts as Toby and Jeanine have a talk

“A lot,” Toby repeats, glancing around the room, not quite sure what to make of it. “…I’m glad you’re okay,” he starts off with.

I nod, grimacing a bit. Got a bit of a bruise. But it'll heal. "This place was Auntie's. It's where she taught me... a lot." I swalllow. "All right. I'm gonna open with a kind of werid question. Toby, are you religious?"

Okay, that is definitely a weird question. “…Sorta, I guess? Dad was real big on us going to church, but after he was gone…” he grimaces, this is going to sound so stupid and petty, isn’t it? “Well, I didn’t really feel like singing the praises of God after He let those hurricanes hit…"

I nod, visibly tense. "I can see that. Look, what I... do is religious. Not... Christian religion." All right, enough of the dancing around it. You're going to say this, might as well say it proudly. "I am a mambo, Toby. A priestess to the Loa. A voodoo priestess."

He blinks, and again. Those exist, really, outside of tourist traps? He’s really not sure what to make of this - would his dad consider people like Jeanine to be monsters? Should he, just like Maggie and Jamie are, even though she looks human, and not like a monster SHOULD? …Does she consider herself to be a monster? “Why are you telling me this now?”

I sigh. "I told you I was going to give you answers, Toby. And there's the matter of trust. Things are getting more complicated now. More dangerous. Trust gets more important, and keeping secrets from you ends up being more in my disadvantadge. If I hadn't tried to keep the Jamie situation a secret from you, this whole loving mess never would have happened as it did."

…Maybe, maybe not. Don’t go putting all that blame on yourself, there’s others at fault here, too.” He grimaces. “I don’t know what the hell we’re going to do about Jamie and Maggie.”

I grin wryly. "Oh, don't worry, I put quite some amount of blame on those two. Just illustrating why it's important you know what I do." Then the question comes up, and I take a bite of the cake I had. "Now that it's just two. What do you really think of them? Do you actually trust Magdalena and Jamie, or was it just the wrong time to fight?"

"For what it’s worth, I really appreciate that you did tell me. Like, I figure that’s a hell of a risk for you.” He grins too, more to try and stave off his unease at what she just asked than anything. “I don’t know. I know I want to trust them, for sure, but if I actually do… I think I can trust Jamie. Like, if she wanted to start poo poo, she could have, but she was all about us being friends and poo poo, right?”

"It... is a risk. In more ways than one. Don't tell anyone, all right? Not even if you fully trust them. And I can't actually tell you more. Well, unless... you were to be initiated." I leave it hanging. On Jamie my eyes harden. "She is not a human, Toby. Not that humans are absolutely great, but she is a risk to people around her. You felt what she did with that song of hers. She can twist minds. The woman she lives with clearly isn't her actual grandmother. And she is picking sides pretty clear with the human flesh eating girl. I know it's... not easy. They're classmates and all. But think of our other people in our class. They're together with something that would eat their flesh, and they don't have the slightest idea."

He doesn’t like the sound of ‘initiation’, but doesn’t say so, verbally at least. His look probably says enough. “I know, but they’re also together with the guy that just…” even here, where there’s bound to be nobody listening, he can’t quite say it. “You saw what I did,” he mumbles, quieter. “We need to do something about Maggie, I know. But… come on, we’ve hunted with Jamie before. If she wanted us dead, she could have done that song thing at the wrong time, left us helpless to stop whatever fucker decided they wanted us for dinner, you know?”

I wince a bit at his expression. Not getting a convert there quickly. Maybe in the course of time. His guilt I try to head off at the pass. "You're not a monster, Toby. Any human might have done that. A policeman had just beaten someone you know, then shot another. I wouldn't like going to a judge with it, and maybe there will be a price to pay to balance the scales. But we're all human, and we all gently caress up sometimes. Doesn't compare to someone who spend a few hundred years buried and is now here with a taste of human flesh." I soften my voice. "If I thought she was directly dangerous, I wouldn't have bothered with the 'dolphin skin' song and dance. But she seems pretty close with Magdalena. You think we can destroy Magdalena and not have to deal with Jamie?"

He doesn’t want to admit it, and he’s not sure why, but… he shakes his head. “You’re right. We need to figure something out, either way.”

I rub my eyes. "We're both tired. And we have things to deal with. We don't have to decide on the exact method, right now. As long as we know we're after the same thing, that we're on the same side." I wince as I lean forward. "Hey, do you have some first aid kit? That bruise stings." I remember something. "Oh... and we should check the St Louis cemetary at night. Something's crawling around there, Luke said."

“Oh, oh, sure, sure…” he always has one in his backpack, a just-in-case thing, and he fishes it out. “Um… do you want me to leave? Because I can do that, I mean, if you want privacy…” Oh god, he’s flustered again.

I take it and then notice his flustered look. And with that, all of a sudden we're not defenders of the people of New Orleans discussing a threat to them, but two teenagers in a room. Part of me wants to just ask him to go wait in the kitchen. Another part of me wants to ask him to help. To show myself to him, to feel his hands on my skin. And somewhere, a part thinks that anything that ties him closer to me, will keep him from being influenced by those two. The moment I have that thought, I feel a tinge of dissgust at myself. But still... "Could you... just check to make sure nothing's broken or something?" I don't meet his eyes. But I still grab the bottom of my shirt, lifting it up to expose my stomach and lower ribs.

Turn on Toby: 2d6-1 6

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 4/5 Conditions: No Manners
Right, right... he gently puts his hands on her body, feeling for damage, and yeah, he can't help but notice the skin is soft, bruise aside. His hands may linger a bit longer than they need to, and his touch may feel more like stroking than probing, more concerned with not causing discomfort than serious investigation, before he shakes his head.

"You're good, fine... I mean, like, no broken bones or anything... not that you're not good the other way, I mean..." His mouth is dry, and he shuts it before he can make even more of a fool of himself. Instead, he just looks her in the eye, hoping he can get across what he means better there than when he's babbling.

Turn On Roll 2d6+1 = 12 Taking another string, gonna have to start spending them soon.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

I try to keep steady as I feel his fingers roaming over it, a little hiss at the sting of it. But it's not the pain that challenges my composure most. Looking in his eyes, with those warm fingers on me, it's all I can do to just nod and keep my knees from shaking. He gets a lot of attention from the girls at school, and no wonder. And why should it bother me? Maybe he flirts back a bit, maybe he goes out on a date. But I have his respect, his trust. I'm his comrade fighting against monsters. That's a lot more important than... silly harlequin novel poo poo, right? I don't envy those cheerful, laughing girls who spend their entire time making themselves look gorgeous, turning the eyes of boys like Toby. Or the refined manners and wit of a Magdalena or the grace and charms of Jamie He keeps his eyes on my face, because he thinks of me like a powerful and trusted ally, someone to has his back, not 'another fish in the dating pool'.

That's great, that's exactly as it should be. I wouldn't want it any other way. I got plenty of other stuff to deal with, so even if I wanted to, I wouldn't have time to waste on dating and stuff. So it's okay. It's all okay. I'll just stand here and feel those warm fingers on me, and nod vaguely at whatever he's saying, and I was actually not listening to the words at all.

I blink when he's ready and swallow. "Oh... I... speaking of injuries. Is that blow Elizabeth gave you all right? Things might be dangerous, so we shouldn't take any risk. You know, I suspected her earlier today. The whole 'amnesia' story is a bit convenient, and that kind of aggression was suspicious. But I'm starting to think I was off base on that one."

I just care for his physical health, like partners in monster hunting do. Perfectly normal.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Oh yeah, Lizzie, another problem. Once again, he's able to find his voice when they talk about business, and he can think just about that. He removes his hands from Jeanine's body, lifting his own shirt to show the bruises Lizzie gave him - just above a chiseled six-pack.. "Yeah, Cynthia gave me the amnesia story too, but I don't bite it. I was going to talk to her at the party, figure out what's up - if that was like, her trying to send a message, or something." Oh poo poo, that reminds him! "...Something's going to go down at the party. I know it, I saw it, like, lucid vision kinda. We need to be ready for anything, there."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

There's no reason at all for me to be happy that his talking to Cynthia is just a way to gather information, except of course the satisfaction of one's partner taking our job seriously.

I start going through the first aid kit, gathering my focus as I find some spray against bruises. "Well, we'd better be careful. It could be nothing. And we might want to avoid drawing attention to ourselves. I have... religious business tonight too. I won't be able to bail on those so...." I turn to look at his bruise and get faced with a tasty plate of beefcake.

"That's eh... that's quite... something." I say, trying to gather the shreds of my composure. I mean, I'm no innocent. I have magazines and internet. But to have it here in front of me is something else. Elizabeth, you are forgiven for this bruise. "The bruise of course. I'll spray some of this on it. I'd say to give it some rest, but I'm guessing we're not going to get that." I finish treating it, and take a deep breath. "Well then. I told Raoul I was off on a family emergency when I rushed to the warehouse. You need any help with alibis or excuses?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
"At least two people saw me running from a policeman that was stalking me at a friend's place, probably more. Don't think there's anything you can do to help me there," he chuckles

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 18, 2014

• Locked thread