Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Jeanine Delacroix

quote:

Jeanine Delacroix, Luke appears to have heard something about you, and he keeps asking you questions about Voodoo. Of course, he's mostly ignorant, asking about which stores down in the French Quarter and do you own a voodoo doll. Raoul looks up from his book and snorts in Luke's direction, "You buy that Voodoo bullshit?" He wave his hand dismissively, adding, "It's just crap for tourists." He looks towards you, expecting you to back him up. What do you do?

"It got turned into crap for tourists," I say, giving Raoul a harsh glare. "What it WAS was part of the culture and stories we brought with us when our ancestors got taken from their homes. Yeah, these days Walt Disney and Marvel got their hands on it, and worst of all, the New Orleans tourism board. But back in the day, those things kept hope and dignity alive for a lot of folks working the plantations. So show some respect."

Shut down Raoul: Shut Down Raoul: 2d6+1 7 I'll give the condition: Culturally insensitive

All right. Just going along and shrugging might have been the more careful response. We don't want the secret rites known. So we don't want them to know who's the priestess. So we don't want them to know there even is a religion. But gently caress it if I'm letting the choirboy there just poo poo all over it. The Loa don't give a drat for what he says, but I sure do.

And then, I wonder two things. One, why does Luke come to me? Could just be a lucky guess, I am from the French Quarter after all, but could be someone's spreading stories. And I'm curious why he wants to know. Could just be tourist curiosity. Could be he's looking for something in particular. I turn to him. "But yeah, Luke. There's a lot of bullshit going around. I don't own a voodoo doll, never see none and I can give you some good restaurants in the French Quarter that have come back. Somebody tries to tell you they'll do voodoo magic to read your future, might as well read your horoscope."

I laugh, trying to make sure it sounds amused. "Who's telling stories like that about me anyway? I mean, I know a few old stories. Folk tales. If that doesn't bore you, I can tell you a few of those later on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Jeanine

All right, maybe I sort of overreacted on Raoul there. I guess he doesn't know that there still is more than... well... the crap that exists. Still, you know, I think I made my point. I give a non-committal grunt and turn to Luke.

Then Luke talks more, and there goes any questions that he knows way more than I'm comfortable with. Yeah, gonna have to find out where that leak is from. Loa, I hope I didn't gently caress something up. Still, he seems to want to keep it on the quiet, and... well... it wouldn't be the first time a mambo was asked for assistance from a white person. And Luke isn't a bad dude. As long as he keeps his mouth shut and doesn't actually try to figure out what I'm doing, maybe I could.... help his misunderstanding. I nod. "Sure, sounds good. Meet up at the bike racks."

So. Who told him? I try to think who may have found out. Well, I did encounter Davis at Bhaskar's while I was getting... ingredients. But I didn't do anything too shocking there, did I? Well... maybe if he noticed I was buying rum. (Bhaskar probably has the wrong impression of me... I hope) Anyway, he was buying some good ingredients there. He's a pretty good cook, we even chatted about it for a bit. Plenty of Loa want food made in a certain way, so a good mambo is a good cook. And it's a fun thing to be good at. So we talked cooking and recipes for a brief bit. And you know, the kind of recipe he's thinking of? That's not a Thursday night meal, that was something fancy, romantic dinner. And he was picking ingredients for two.

Anyway, that's not important right, just need to make sure he's not on to me and...

Is he looking at Jamie? Oh drat it. Don't tell me he's going after that. I don't need more troubles right now. poo poo, if they're close, it could be the fish-thing is passing on things to him. It could have found out about it.

All right, calm down. Doesn't have to be him. After school, we're going to talk to Luke, and he's gonna tell me where he heard it. And please let it be Bernie he's after. Maybe I should set the fish-thing straight.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix
Hot -1 Cold: 1 Violatile -1 Dark 2
Harm 0/4 exp: 0/5 Condtions: Touchy

Capfalcon posted:

Jeanine, Luke looks up at you, apparently thinking that you're going to be partners. Although, you've noticed that Raoul has thrown a few glances your way. What do you do?
What happened the last time you cast a hex for a white person that makes you reluctant to do so now?

Oh gently caress. I like Luke well enough, but this poo poo carries risks.

Yeah, last time I helped a white person. It was in the Superdome. Yeah, with those. There was this girl, Jennifer, about my age. Got seperated from her parents and was there on her own. Came to ask for help with us. My parents aren't the type to turn folks away, and when some folks came to bring her elsewhere 'for her own safety' (away from scary black folk), she told them to gently caress off. Points gained there.

So, she was absolutely miserable about her parents. Not knowing where they were. So... I asked the Loa about them for her. Made her promise not to tell anyone, didn't show her how I did it, but they had gotten out of the city, and not in any danger. She was so grateful. Said she'd be my best friend for ever. Some time later we got out of there and she reunited with her parents. Hugs and fuzzy feelings all around.

But she got too interested. Started looking things up, asking me about how it worked, offering, and later begging me to assist me in anything. Saying how closely connected she had felt since then with the black community. If she'd just been stupid I could have just smiled and nodded. But drat it, Jenn had to be razor-sharp, and she was separating wheat from chaff at a very quick rate. And well-meaning as she was, a white girl girl from a well off suburban family wasn't someone I could initiate. I had to cut her off.

So I did. And I used harsh words. And some threats about digging deeper. After those, we were no longer friends. It hurt, but it had to be done. I haven't heard from her since.

I don't want that anymore. Luke is all right with me, and because of that, I'll have to make it clear that if I do anything with the loa for you, that's a one time thing. It does not give you a backstage pass to the French Quarters. i'm doing you a favour, and part of repaying me is that you don't make something out of it.

And that is partly why I wasn't gonna partner up with Luke. We'd agreed to talk after school. If I partnered up with him now, he'd probably want to talk now, and I don't want this poo poo in public. And I want to keep him at distance while this is hanging above us. Besides, if I started any fire on the bridge with Raoul, I might wanna put it out before I burned that bridge there. So when I catch Luke's gaze, I narrow my eyes a bit and raise my hand in a 'hold off' manner.

Shut Down Luke: 2d6+1 10 I gain a string on Luke

So, acting like I hadn't seen Luke I went over to Raoul. "hey, Raoul, you wanna team up?" I mean, I wasn't going to apologize or anything. Even if he didn't mean anything by it, he should think about what he says more. But you know, no hard feelings right?

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 11, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

Capfalcon posted:

Jeanine, Luke's a little confused, but shrugs and walks away to find another partner. Raoul, too, is a little confused, but shrugs and adds with a grin, "As long as you don't start lecturing me about the noble heritage of Hydrochloric acid, sure."

"Extremely funny." I say, with an expression that suggests entirely the opposite. gently caress, part of me is regretting this already. But better deal with this than risk Luke blabbing too much. besides, I could get some information out of Raoul about something I'm still dealing with. A quick look to my left. What the hell is the fish thing doing now? Benji's grin could mean it's planning something... or, knowing Benji, it could mean nothing.

I put on the white coat, buttoning it up. For now, let's see if we can find out a thing or two about another matter. "I mean, you know how important these things can be. You take your religion seriously. I mean, I can't imagine you'd be happy if St. Florian would be marketed just about exclusively as 'the place with all the buried treasures.' I mean, I heard it's got as long a history in New Orleans as there has been a New Orleans."

Manipulate Raoul: 2d6-1 7 What do I need to do to have Raoul tell me what he knows about St. Florian?

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 11, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

"Sounds good." I say, "Give me a few minutes after class though. I've got something to take care of before I go. Won't be long" The talk with Luke can't take that long. And I really want to know what's going on in that church. I'll probably get preached at. But I can deal with that.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

I start following around the fish wherever it goes, there's gonna be rumors going around. And while they may drown out anything going around about me being involved in voodoo, that's not what I want now. I don't trust her. But I can't keep an eye on her 24/7. I'll just have to trust that between that paper and its skin, it will behave. I'm just going to use it to get to the bottom of some of these mysteries. And if it survives that, hasn't shown itself to be dangerous, well, I'll just give it its skin back and 'advice' it to go right back to the waters it came from. And if it turns out malicious, I got a token on it. And Toby, if it comes down to it. I'm pretty sure. If he doesn't have a case of 'not trusting me'

Anyway, let's focus on Raoul here. I know he goes to that church. Which means I could test if it's the church itself or something particular they do there which causes it. I just need something of his, then cast a benign spell on him. I pretend looking in my chemistry book as I try to think of something, and then I spot on something. We're doing the whole 'PH-testing thing' Chemistry to the rescue.

"hey, Raoul. It says here that spit neutralizes acid. Mind helping me doing a test with that?" I hold out one of the litlte beakers for him to spit in. "I'd do it myself, but proper girls don't spit."

Then we do the test, and at the end of the class, I'll just have to 'accidentally' put it in my bag while cleaning up. I hope spit still counts after getting some acid in it though.

And then the sound goes, and I look up. Toby? I look at him. What is going on?

Wanting Raoul's precious bodily fluids: 2d6-1 5 Boo.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 12, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 0/4 exp: 0/5 Condtions: Touchy, rules-breaker.

"Fine. I suppose it can wait." And you know what. Maybe it can. Saint Florian isn't an immediate threat. I'll go take a look first, and we can do the testing later. Perhaps even with someone else who comes there regularly. Less links to me.

And to be quite honest, I'm kind of distracted by Toby getting called to the principal's office. You know, this didn't happen too long after the fish walked out. Could mean nothing. But the things he and I get up to at night... they could lead to trouble. Well, mostly him, I tend to be more... advisory. Not that he takes my advice as much as he should. I frown at the chemistry book and remember the last night we went out together. Things got... out of hand. The only reason we weren't shouting was because we were out at night with a lot of stuff high school kids shouldn't carry around.

It was... about the weather. I'd advised him to dress up warm because it was gonna be cold, but he said the newspaper said it was gonna be warm. And then I made a remark about the newspaper always being right, and he made a remark about at least knowing where they got their information from and whether this was another 'mysterious intuition'

He made quotation marks with his fingers.

All right, maybe I was less than graceful. I mean, he takes the biggest risks (which he did remind me off) and I am asking for a lot of trust from him, considering he doesn't know how I... know what I know and do what I do. But... I've not steered him wrong. And it's not like asking the loa for assistance is without risk or anything! And he can be so lacking in respect. I'm a mambo, the things I do are religious ceremonies, the loa are the things between us and the Creator. He treats it and me like some kind of... annoying program that won't do what it tells him to at times! Seriously! He's so annoying!

I hope there's no serious trouble.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

quote:

Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 0/4 exp: 0/5 Condtions: Touchy, rules-breaker.

Ugh...

It's not... a complete waste of time. Keeping up with Toby while pursuing some... thing makes you appreciate the importance of a fit body. And by that I mean panting my loving guts out while Toby stands there looking all smug with his healthy lifestyle. So between school and studying rituals I never really got time to run laps. I was too busy learning to appease and cajole the loa of the spirit world. So sue me.

But yeah, some fitness is a good idea. But I'd have preferred running laps or something. This just seems like a way for the more fit to just rub it in the faces of the ones with other talents. Or sometimes elbow it in their faces. I'll be happy to get through this without bruises. Still, there's someone who usually has the worst time with this, and that is Miss old money St. Claire.

Anyway, even if I was interested in basketball, my head is pretty much not there right now. What is happening with Toby? And where the hell is the fish? I'm frustrated, frustrated and angry.

You know what, maybe it's good to do some sports. Maybe I can get rid of some of this tension this way. And I eye Bonnie St.Claire.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine

Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 0/4 exp: 0/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker

You know, when I figured I'd play rough, I was thinking something subtle. I was thinking turning into her and knocking her on the ground, or 'not stopping myself in time' and crash into her, maybe 'accidentally' throwing a ball in her stupid, dainty racist face.

What I did not expect was Elizabeth just about knocking Toby to the ground like that. And just like that, therapeutic body-checking of rich white girl slips from my mind. Elizabeth. She's a woman, white, highly aggressive it seems, surprisingly strong to knock Toby down like that. Maybe she knows more about Toby and that's why she targeted him? She could match the man-eating monster going around. I keep a sharp eye on her, sharp enough that I'm probably missing any hypothetical glares I'm getting from others. I'm vaguely aware Magdalena is brought back in as well. I... don't worry TOO much about Toby. He's a strong guy and I've seen him take worse. And if I'm right, we might DO worse soon.

I'll need to get something from her. Or get the fish to make itself useful. But hey, if you want to do something right...

In the locker room afterwards, after the shower, I make a show of looking through my gym bag. "Oh drat it all." I say. "Hey, Liz, can I borrow your brush real quick? I forgot mine and if I don't brush it, it goes all over the place."

Using one of my strings to offer Elizabeth, she gets 1 XP if she lets me borrow her hairbrush.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Jeanine, you don't really have anything on hand for a snack, but your stomach is gurgling. You're pondering sneaking off campus to grab something from a convince store when you hear a small groan from underneath you. You look down and see the sewer grating you're standing on buckle and then snap. Suddenly, you're plunged into damp and fetid darkness. Between the clanking metal and splashing water, you're not quite sure, but you think you hear something growling behind you. What do you do?

Jeanine
Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 0/4 exp: 0/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker

Ugh. ick. Things are dark, and wet, and they smell of poo poo. That calls back some really loving bad recent memories. But they'd do that for a lot of people here. I manage to get up, the broken sewer grating giving just a little bit of light, out of my reach. I get up to my feet, at least nothing broken. gently caress, well, there goes the plan to go to the church today, unless I want to do that smelling like sewage. And I just showered. Sewer grating must have been damaged during one of the hurricanes. Something got damaged enough to be unstable, but not enough to be directly seen, and there's so much stuff to fix.

I get up and reach for my cell to call Toby. This is one of those very immediate pragmatical problems he's better at. Except then I hear a noise. A growling noise. Now, a normal teenager might be worried because she has no idea what might be here in the sewer. Me, I'm worried because I have a few ideas. But you know what? gently caress that. I am a Mambo! I deal with spirits older than this country, they come when I bid, and they leave when I ask. I have knowledge. I have power. I do not go running and pleading for help just because it's dark and I think I hear something.

Out comes a lighter. A lot of things I have are cheap, but this is a quality lighter. Used to light candles and on occasion cigars. Steadying my breathing, I open it, and a small yellow flame pierces the darkness.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine
Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 0/4 exp: 1/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker

I may not be the most experienced mambo, but I know the power of magic and the loa when faced with a monster like that. And that is exactly why I extinguish the lighter, turn around and run, run and not worry about stepping in poo poo or other things, as long as I'm getting away from that thing. I don't think about what it can be exactly, I don't think of what caused this.I I don't really think at all. All I do is sprint my rear end off. Only when I'm at some distance to I fumble for my phone. Got to call Toby.

Not sure if I'l find my cell phone has mysteriously started calling Toby on its own, or if he's getting that call from something else than my cellphone, more mysteriously. Running away from green eyed monster: 2d6-1 11 and marking 1 xp, hurray.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

The water splashes as I make my way. Not going anywhere, just fleeing. Feeling that... thing rushing behind me. I can't die. There's threats to deal with, justice to deal... things to learn. Auntie, the loa, the people of the French Quarter. I can't let them down! I won't. But I can't run much longer.

And then something grips me and lifts me off the ground. "NO! gently caress! LET ME GO!" I call out, elbowing and scratching at whatever has got his grip on me, trying to bite whatever's holding me. It's only when I'm out in the light I see who got me out there. "Toby." I wrap myself around him, still high on adrenalin. "gently caress... you saved me." For a moment I don't care that there's secrets and distrust, that we're somewhere in school, and that I smell of sewage.

Turn on Toby: 2d6-1 7 Toby chooses, give a string, promise something I want, give himself to me

But then it wears off, and I let go. Don't act like some damsel in distress. You're his partner. He needs to be able to rely on you, not having to save you. I get up. I am a voodoo priestess. I need to have things in hand. I need to be in control. "Something's targeted me. And I have a few suspicions. We should... talk more... elsewhere." Short, practical, without weakness. I'll leave the swooning in his muscular arms to those more cheerily apt for that.

And then Elizabeth comes and I eye her. Best not to show my suspicion. "Goddamn sewer grating near the cafeteria broke!" I curse, as I might if that actually happened. "loving wreck this school is. I'm going to the bathroom, get the worst off. If a janitor complains about the filth, you can tell him to suck it! And I might be late for the next class!"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

I enter the bathroom, hoping tohave a moment to compose myself fully, think things through. But when the door opens, I see miss rich white girl rush into a stall. Oh great. Well, at least she's not trying to talk to me. I was thinking of maybe risking a communion with the loa, but that's not happening right now. gently caress it. I take my shoes and socks off, and take a towel to wipe off my feet. Sure, I hear her sobbing in there. Probably her favorite pony died or something. It's not my problem.

Except it is.

There's a lot of things that could be going on in this place. I just got attacked. Elizabeth acts aggressively like that, and I think something's going on there. There is a man eating creature on the loose. Something weird is going on in St. Florian. I am the mambo of this place. If some thing is hurting students in MY city, in MY school. That is MY problem. And for as much as I loathe Bonnie, and as much as I fantasized about putting a nice hex on her, she hasn't done anything more evil than being aggressively, stupidly entitled.

I look at the stall door, uncomfortable. One decision made, now how do you go from there. "Bonnie. What happened?" I... try not to sound too bossy.

Mind you, if the reason she cries IS something stupid, I give no guarantee I won't throw some salt in her wounds. Being a aggressively, stupidly entitled doesn't merit hexes, but that doesn't mean I can't use perfectly mundane manners to tell her how much she sucks.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

Okay, she's just having some drama time over nobody liking her. No mambo business. Pick having a laugh, or just ignoring her, or maybe just say 'yes' in a dry voice. Proceed with cleaning feet.

"Bonnie."

Oh come on. This spoiled princess feels isolated? Feels like society is against her? Feels like no matter what she does, she's lost in advance. Welcome to school! Class is in session!

"I...."

You can crush her. How many times are you going to get a trust fund, silver spoon brat like her at your mercy like this? Just lay the perfect little burn on her. Maybe she'll call mommie and daddy and this school will be rid of her.

"I don't... hate you."

It's not coming out with quite enough conviction to really be any support.

"You just... it sometimes feels like you think you're better than others. Like you think we're lesser than you because we're not from rich parents. And when you talk about all the things you've got... At home, I live in a glorified container. I poo poo in plastic communal toilet boxes. Remember yesterday when you made a remark about Luke's clothes? How his mom should buy him some decent ones?" I sigh. "Luke can't buy clothes. The clothes he got are the ones he wore when he got evacuated and what charity can give him. And his mom... his mom never got out of Katrina. "

All right. We were gonna try NOT to make her feel worse. "I don't think you're an evil person or anything, Bonnie. And I've... seen some evil folks. Look.... why don't you tell me what happened?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

Too harsh? I mean, that was pretty much the absolute worst thing that happened. Should I have perhaps taken a less vomit inducing example? I don't know. Maybe she'll learn something. Or maybe she'll ask her parents to put her in another school. Maybe that is the best for everyone? gently caress it. She's given it her best effort. And she had other poo poo on her mind. She excused herself from school. Even with the worst of the sewage gone, she did not relish spending the rest of the day smelling of sewage.

It gave her some time to gather her wits. Four people to talk to. Raoul's talk would take them to the church, that would be a while. Toby might also be eager to spring into action when he heard the news, not do that first. I'll go find Anastasia. Luke stuff might be less urgent. And who knows what's going on there.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

The question about the sewer gets a reply of "Don't ask." with my most discouraging look. I don't actually take the seat. I want to encourage Anastasia to be quick about whatever important thing she has to say, because I have a lot on my plate right now. When she talks about things getting weird, But there's lots of 'weird' she can be talking about. And I briefly think this is just boy troubles, but then she mentions my aunt. I'm reminded she... spotted me doing preparations. Could she have spread the rumors? I'm getting a lot of vague stuff. Like someone might toss if they're trying to get information about someone.

I fold my arms. "My aunt knew a lot of people." I say. "Does this mystery man have a name?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

quote:

Jeanine Delacroix

Saturday...

I feel the warmth drain away form my face. Baron Samedi. The expression on my face, I'm aware, torpedoes any attempts I might have made to pretend this is just nothing. Just that name, and a promise of a meeting later. And she moves to walk off.

I reach out to grab her arm. Making sure to lock eyes with her. "If this a joke. If this is some Halloween prank, or some theme of this party tonight for Halloween, you better tell me now. Because this poo poo is dangerous, to both of us. I won't be angry or anything. But if this is a joke, there will be more than me to be worried about."

You don't call Baron Samedi lightly. I'm sort of hoping this is some kind of joke. But if I'm honest, unless Anastasia here is a real good actress, I'm pretty afraid not.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

I let go of her. "I'll see you there."

Those last words driving me to anger. Not at Anastasia, no. At myself, at ... all this poo poo. 'Sorry to get you involved?' I'm the only one who's supposed to get involved here. If the spirits have something to say, I'm supposed to know. I'm supposed to prevent they gently caress with other people, except when called for.

All right,, that will wait till this evening. For now... Luke. I make my way over to the bike racks. Trying not to show how bad my mood is getting on my face. I was never the best at these kind of things.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Jeanine, you've got a lot on your mind as you track Luke down. He's waiting with Raoul, shooting the poo poo. Raoul starts to pick up his things to leave, but Luke interrupts him, saying, "Hey, before you run off with her, I just gotta have a quick word." He cocks his head to the side, then rolls his eyes as he thinks he understands. "Yeah, there's that party tonight. Good luck, loverboy." Luke hits him on the arm but doesn't say anything to disabuse him of the notion as he walks over to you.

"So, uh, I know this is a little unusual, but... look. I live near the St Louis Cemetery, right? Something keeps moving around, taking things, leaving things late at night." He sees your skeptical look and sighs, "No, it isn't some person doing it. This thing is fast, all right? I was on the track team at my last school, and this thing burned me like it was nothing. It even leaped over one of the mausoleums. Those things are a good 8 feet high, easy."
Jeanine Delacroix

You know, this might surprise you, but this... this is actually something to improve my mood. I was kind of expecting more... self-centered questions. If he knew of my aunt, and what she does, he might ask to curse his enemies, he might have asked healing relatives, he might ask for assistance in his love life. Nothing bad, nothing I wouldn't even consider doing, depending on the exact wish even. But it's just that he found something dangerous, and he comes to me to deal with it.

That's how it should be. I am the Mambo of the French Quarter. These are matters I deal with. Even if it turns out to have another explanation - And with all that's going on, I wouldn't mind - it's a good feeling. Things that mess with graveyards are pretty sure to piss off the Ghede and... oh... oh, that might explain Baron Samedi's involvement.

So I just nod. "It's good that you told me, Luke. I'll do what's needed about it. Don't try anything yourself okay. You might get badly hurt." I smile at him. It's not something I do often. "You're a good guy Luke, you know that?"

Turn on Luke: 2d6-1 4

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

He didn't like that. I feel a bit of a stab of pain at that. And... I was wondering if he was going to invite me to the party. I mean, I should probably be there, because things are going to go down, but I won't have time for lovey dovey stuff. But it would have been nice to have someone want it. But it is unsafe for him, and who needs boys drooling all over them. I'll let the fish and Bernie have that. If he got involved and got killed, that would be on me. And Auntie told me that you should avoid deaths on you whenever you can. Because they tend to mount up.

So, I go with Raoul, and I mention that I am probably going. Honestly, if it was just going and looking, I probably would have bailed on this little church expedition. Got plenty to deal with for now, without stirring things up at this church. But if I flake on him, who knows if I'll get someone on the inside again, or if he's going to tell me the other things that he knows. Didn't get a chance to put a test hex on him, but with everything going on, the least I need now is escalating this. Just having a good look around will do for now. When Raoul goes to light the candles, I walk in a bit further. Maybe get an eye around. See if there's anything that might tell me what's going on here.

Of course, then the priest is on me pretty quickly. Young too. And despite that friendly smile, he does not seem to think much of me. Worried that I'll steal from the offering plate or something? Best not let him catch wind of that I know it. Just smile back nervously like the usual one who doesn't go to church. "Oh, eh... I'm here with Raoul. You know, with... everything that's happened... we talked about, well, people's histories in the city. My family's been in New Orleans since forever. And so is this church. And he invited me along."

No need to lie when a partial truth is perfectly serviceable.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

FUUUUCK. I manage to look embarassed pretty eaisly, mostly because I am. "Eh... sorry, It might be an emergency."

Oh poo poo.

It is.

"I'm... I'm really sorry. I need to go right now. Could you tell Raoul I'm sorry, I don't want to interrupt his prayers."

And without really waiting for an answer, I'm off. That's not likely to go down well, but there's a time and place to worry about that. The fish found it, and it found her. And now it's in danger. What. That was the idea the whole time, wasn't it? To have it take the risks. Now, just call Toby, and go in hard. If we do it quickly, it'll survive. Going alone? That's stupid. Most likely we'd both end up on milk cartons.

I type in a message to Toby. 'Jamy spotted monster at Worldwide Shipping, Inc, Warehouse #12'. I just need to click send. It's the smart thing. I mean, it's not even sure the fish actually found it. It's at the waterfront. It might just be hoping that I'll bring the pelt and then it'll drown me.

But if she dies. It's my fault.

It dies. It isn't supposed to be here. You owe it nothing. Maybe the error was to allowing it to walk around here anyway.

I find a solitary spot. next to the waters The message to Toby, goes unsent, but saved, just in case. Rather, the message goes to Jamie's phone. 'I'll come. Hurt her and the destruction of your property will be just the start'

Sent.

First I'm counseling Bonnie, now this. I scowl in disgust. When did I turn into such a loving softie? But first... I need some advice. I find an alley that looks quiet enough, and take a particular bag out of my school pack. It's got some hair. It's got the letter. It's got the silver locket. I use some chalk to draw the proper Veve's. First a small Papa Legba as an opening to be allowed to contact the spirit world. Then I draw the next Veve. Met Agwé. Mostly the god of fisherman and sailors. But if one is struck by indecision, he's also the one to offer advice. I take out my rattle, and hum the music rather than singing it out. And at the right moment, a small glass of champagne gets offered to the seas. "How should I handle Jamie being in danger?"

Loa Ritual to gaze into the abyss: 2d6+2 5 Whoops, did I do something to piss off the loa of the seas perhaps? But I mark XP for dark

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 15, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 0/4 exp: 2/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker

There guilt, there's fear, there's anger having a nice free for all. And part of me feels like I could use a nice, cathartic bathroom break down, Bonnie style right now. But no. Can't. Got to deal with the mess I made. It made. She made. gently caress it, the mess. I lean against the wall, the message o f the cellphone giving me a chill again. It's just Raoul. poo poo, gotta think of a lie. Sorry, family emergency. I'm fine myself. I'll think of the rest of the lie later. For now, poo poo, let's get this done. Then... I guess I'll have to talk to the fish.

I rush towards the ware house. In my left hand, I have the silver locket, tied around my hand so it won't be easy to grab. In my left hand, my cell phone. A message for Toby written, and ready to send at the push of a button. The message? "Man-eating monster at Worldwide Shipping, Inc, Warehouse #12, riverfront. Got Jamie. Wants locket. Had to go alone. If you get this message, poo poo has gone bad." He'll probably be angry I didn't tell him. Well, that's the breaks. So that's how I walk towards and into the warehouse. Cellphone in one hand, locket in the other.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

What?

No really, what?

I get up as if burned the moment I notice the stun gun. And the mention of someone else. Hands clutching silver token and cellphone while I try to keep my expression neutral. But if some traces of suspicion and anger are there. Well, I just found out that this whole thing was a trap for me. That Jamie knew who the creature eating human flesh was all along and that I am apparently a naive idiot.

But I remain silent, listening to Jamie's explanations, and what Maggie... the flesh eating monster, Maggie, has to say.

But actions, no matter how small, are the thing that mean the most. And my thumb just clicked the send button.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

Jamie still has her arms around me, and in the current situation, a hug is just a little bit away from a hold. I move to get out of it, slowly, as one might break a hug. Then reach for the stun gun and rise to my feet. This is a monster. One that I have seen the corpses it left. Jamie's change of mind might have hurt its plan, but I am not out of danger.

Getting out of the hug: 2d6+2 13

I don't want a fight now. I don't have the numbers, and I don't have the skill for a direct confrontation. I hold the stun gun behind my back, mirroring her stance. Trying to keep Jamie between the two of us. "The man who brought this to me is under my protection. And so is this city. Before I return this to you, there are questions that I need answered. And before you consider violence, know that with one word I can destroy this locket of yours. And I do not have Jamie's pelt on me. Kill me, and it will never be found. I suggest... we talk."

Just buy Toby some time. Just have to stall them. Maybe get some answers while I'm at it.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

"Let's start about what you are. I prefer to get my information straight from the source. I've found out that I should not always trust what Jamie says. she is convinced you would never kill anyone for food. And I am unconvinced. What are you exactly?" I look at the locket. "Now that I have you here in front of me, some things suddenly make sense. Your way of talking, your not knowing of some things. You were a human once, no?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

I glare down at Jamie. "I don't have your pelt with me, because I got a message that some creature was threatening you. I did not take a detour to dig up your pelt, no! I rushed here, only to find out you were preparing a... trap..." And then, her singing starts and my mind starts to cloud over. A spell, a trick! I try to work up anger, to try to cast a spell, to raise the stun baton , but thought just... scatter. My face goes slack, and I start to step forward. I barely register the word. Only the sound. So sweet a sound. Little else matters except drinking in that voice.

When it stops, I blink, and hear Toby's voice, and I feel my arms wrapped around the others. I jump back as quickly as I can The fish, more dangerous than I thought, malice or no, rattles off a lot. When Toby looks to me I sigh. "Not a lie. Yes, I found out Jamie here... is not human. She is something out of the waters. And I got her pelt. So... yeah. I took it, and I put her on a leash. Jamie is not human. But she's walking among us. Just because she looks human doesn't mean she is any less dangerous than any other monster. I couldn't just... let her do as she please. What if she ended up killing someone. But... I didn't just want to kill her. But I couldn't just let her go, or she might be back with another skin or something. So I... held her skin ransom. And she was already working with you so... I had her look for I didn't tell you because... I was worried you'd kill her."

Haven't you been keeping enough secrets for him?

"And I was worried you'd think less of me. Then.. I got some messages. One that she had found the monster that had wounded those people and left that gnawed on skeleton. One from someone else who said she got it. And when I came here... it was a trap. But Jamie changed her mind at the last moment. These two seem to know each other pretty well. And Magdalena. She is apparently as old as this locket."

I sigh. "There's more, Toby. And I owe you answers. And I promise you, I'll give them. But not here." I look towards Magdalena and Jamie.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 15, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

Did not expect a yes there. And after that trap, I'm pretty much wary of Jamie playing broken bird. Then again... it could be true. I consider the spell I have. The contract is right in my bag. No, I want to keep some secrets. That card I should keep in my sleeve for now. Magdalena's question gets a sharp look. But no answer.

"You have only their word for it, Toby. And remember, something targeted me earlier today. Could be one of these two. If they weren't pretty faces, but seven foot tall slimy, be tentacled creatures, would you be so willing to give them the benefit of the doubt?" I sigh. "But make your choice. I'll go along with what you say. I owe you at least that."

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 16, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

"I'm sure that's what you want, yes, him trusting you." I say coldly with a look at Jamie.

Then, my eyes go to Magdalena. "Something's been spotted messing around the St. Louis Cemetary. Was that you looking for a meal?" At least I can solve that mystery if she admits that.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

"Hm, I think I actually believe you on that one. Something else then. Just wonderful." I purse my lips. Something told me I was not going to get a lot of sleep in the immediate future. Then she extends her hand for the locket. I look at Toby. "I said I'd follow your lead this time and I meant it, Toby." The cry of the police is like the alarm clock. "But I want to keep this, as insurance. How much do you trust her?" I lower my voice to avoid giving the policeman an earful.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

I hand off the locket, but I tense as I do it, looking at Magdalena, just in case she charged. Would she, with a policeman right here? Of course, then Jamie walks out, and my heart chills. "Toby. White girl with an injury. Not Our Problem Department doesn't need much more to switch safeties to off. " And part of me wonders what she's saying there. "If we're going to come out quietly, we'd better do it really, really calmly. What's our story? Scouting out a spooky place for a Halloween party?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

And now, time has run out. So far for running. But if he followed Toby, he'd likely just get this later. One asset. There is no knife here, bloody or otherwise. I too raise my hands. "Oh, officer. Is Jamie ok? We were looking around for a Halloween party spot. But Jamie accidentally cut herself, so Toby came to help!"

Roll Hot to manipulate officer: 2d6-1 2 Welp

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 16, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 1/4 exp: 2/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker

Ngh... Ouch. Oh yeah, this is New Orleans. I groan in pain on the ground. But my eyes are looking around. If I get my hands on a token, this rear end in a top hat is going to have some bad times in his future. For now, I just keep my head down.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 1/4 exp: 2/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker

No... no.

"What the gently caress did you do?" I get up to shout at the creature. "Were you hungry or something? It was just a police beating. Nothing to start this about. poo poo, poo poo, poo poo. A dead cop is loving NOT what we need right now." I look around. Where are fingerprints? loving everywhere. I can't... I can't deal with this alone. I need to do something. Something stupid. Something Auntie would tell me I'll probably regret for a long time.

"Give me... give me a moment." I step away from the others, reaching into my pack to pull out a fine cigar. My hands shake as I put it in my mouth, and then I light it. Not according to the rules at all. But then, he tends to be flexible with them. He's powerful, but the price is often horrible. I inhale the smoke, then exhale it.

"Baron Samedi, I'm sorry to bother you. But I may need some help to make our appointment. I'll owe you a favour. A large one." I say quietly.

Gaze into the Abyss with Baron Samedi: 2d6+2 9 I need some clarity. I'll take the Drained Condition[/i]

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix
Harm 1/4 exp: 2/5 Condtions: Touchy, rulesbreaker, drained

Yes. I knew. That would have been very unwise. My stomach is pretty much a block of ice right now. clock is ticking. Baron Samedi might have called it even, but I don't doubt there will be prices to pay for tonight. But I don't feel particularly like the American justice system is a fair creditor. So I won't be inclined to have anyone pay for them. I try not to feel. I try to keep emotions at bay to claim something later. Just more debts piling up.

I rush back outside, putting some gloves on as I do. "All..." I cough, my lungs still burning form that cigar. "All right. Talking time has ended." I go to find the keys on the policeman's corpse. "Magdalena, no more gunshots. Toby, use this key, get Jamie out. Then drive the car into the warehouse. Magdalena. Your clothes are already hosed. So you get the corpse into the car. Then get some clothes from Jamie to cover yourself. Burn the clothes later. Jamie, with me. This warehouse has something flammable in it. We should make sure to locate it, and hope that fire does the clean up for us." I hold the matches I've got to make my intentions clear.

I stare hard, trying to forestall any protests. "Move."

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 16, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

I give a look towards Jamie. loving prima donna. I feel too drat tired to deal with that. I want to crawl in bed and sleep. Nope, not dealing with that. arguing time could be 'look for what this warehouse contains that merits those warning signs.' I just sigh, shrug and get back inside the warehouse and start looking for the best 'completely destroy the evidence' spot.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

Trust on shady, construction practices to prove the fish-girl right. There was an irony, on a warehouse as wet as New Orleans so vulnerable to flame. But I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. It would burn the evidence. It wasn't a super job. And with a policeman as the victim, the NOPD would probably make it their problem. But this was the best they could do.

Coming out, I noticed Magdalena feeding. I shot a look of disgust, but said nothing. What was the worst, I wondered, that she had simply lost control and attacked like a beast, or had attacked him counting on Toby to help, like a monster.. Whatever the case, beast or monster. She had to die. In an odd way, I respect her. She is determined, in control and steady. More worthy of respect than the fickle fish-girl. After I destroy her, I should make sure she gets a decent burial this time.

The fish girl? Less so. Fickle as the waters she's from. And so, as she gets out of the burning warehouse, I grab her arm, giving her a cold look. "You want your pelt back, fish-girl." I whisper. "Kill Magdalena. Hope you're enjoying your surface world vacation." With that, I break off. Maybe she'd tell Magdalena. Maybe not. It might undermine the trust between them either way. And you never know. And I'm thinking of her as a her now. Well, I guess I do. She is a person I guess.

A person I despise.

Jamie gets one string on me since she fulfilled her promise on a technicality. (technically correct, best correct) But doesn't get her skin back. Her new task is 'Kill Magdalena'

For now, Toby and I go one way, they go the other. We'll meet again. This was just the start. I lead Toby to a place I know. A home somewhere in the French Quarter. Abandoned. But I have a key that fits. Auntie's old place. If I'm going to tell him, it might as well be in this place. It's old, water damaged of course. Clearly the house of an older woman. No signs of voodoo up here. They were all down in the basement. Well, the 'weird ones'. I learned more listening to her while working in the kitchen than sitting in the cellar doing rituals.

Mold is starting to grow all over the place. It'll likely be torn down. But it's not a bad place to rest. I reach in my bag, taking out some sweet cakes. They were normally for Erzulie, but... I figure we need them more than she does right now. "So, a lot to talk about I guess." I say, feeling the tiredness hit me.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

The following post was done by splicing together some irc logs, to prevent a mountain of posts as Toby and Jeanine have a talk

“A lot,” Toby repeats, glancing around the room, not quite sure what to make of it. “…I’m glad you’re okay,” he starts off with.

I nod, grimacing a bit. Got a bit of a bruise. But it'll heal. "This place was Auntie's. It's where she taught me... a lot." I swalllow. "All right. I'm gonna open with a kind of werid question. Toby, are you religious?"

Okay, that is definitely a weird question. “…Sorta, I guess? Dad was real big on us going to church, but after he was gone…” he grimaces, this is going to sound so stupid and petty, isn’t it? “Well, I didn’t really feel like singing the praises of God after He let those hurricanes hit…"

I nod, visibly tense. "I can see that. Look, what I... do is religious. Not... Christian religion." All right, enough of the dancing around it. You're going to say this, might as well say it proudly. "I am a mambo, Toby. A priestess to the Loa. A voodoo priestess."

He blinks, and again. Those exist, really, outside of tourist traps? He’s really not sure what to make of this - would his dad consider people like Jeanine to be monsters? Should he, just like Maggie and Jamie are, even though she looks human, and not like a monster SHOULD? …Does she consider herself to be a monster? “Why are you telling me this now?”

I sigh. "I told you I was going to give you answers, Toby. And there's the matter of trust. Things are getting more complicated now. More dangerous. Trust gets more important, and keeping secrets from you ends up being more in my disadvantadge. If I hadn't tried to keep the Jamie situation a secret from you, this whole loving mess never would have happened as it did."

…Maybe, maybe not. Don’t go putting all that blame on yourself, there’s others at fault here, too.” He grimaces. “I don’t know what the hell we’re going to do about Jamie and Maggie.”

I grin wryly. "Oh, don't worry, I put quite some amount of blame on those two. Just illustrating why it's important you know what I do." Then the question comes up, and I take a bite of the cake I had. "Now that it's just two. What do you really think of them? Do you actually trust Magdalena and Jamie, or was it just the wrong time to fight?"

"For what it’s worth, I really appreciate that you did tell me. Like, I figure that’s a hell of a risk for you.” He grins too, more to try and stave off his unease at what she just asked than anything. “I don’t know. I know I want to trust them, for sure, but if I actually do… I think I can trust Jamie. Like, if she wanted to start poo poo, she could have, but she was all about us being friends and poo poo, right?”

"It... is a risk. In more ways than one. Don't tell anyone, all right? Not even if you fully trust them. And I can't actually tell you more. Well, unless... you were to be initiated." I leave it hanging. On Jamie my eyes harden. "She is not a human, Toby. Not that humans are absolutely great, but she is a risk to people around her. You felt what she did with that song of hers. She can twist minds. The woman she lives with clearly isn't her actual grandmother. And she is picking sides pretty clear with the human flesh eating girl. I know it's... not easy. They're classmates and all. But think of our other people in our class. They're together with something that would eat their flesh, and they don't have the slightest idea."

He doesn’t like the sound of ‘initiation’, but doesn’t say so, verbally at least. His look probably says enough. “I know, but they’re also together with the guy that just…” even here, where there’s bound to be nobody listening, he can’t quite say it. “You saw what I did,” he mumbles, quieter. “We need to do something about Maggie, I know. But… come on, we’ve hunted with Jamie before. If she wanted us dead, she could have done that song thing at the wrong time, left us helpless to stop whatever fucker decided they wanted us for dinner, you know?”

I wince a bit at his expression. Not getting a convert there quickly. Maybe in the course of time. His guilt I try to head off at the pass. "You're not a monster, Toby. Any human might have done that. A policeman had just beaten someone you know, then shot another. I wouldn't like going to a judge with it, and maybe there will be a price to pay to balance the scales. But we're all human, and we all gently caress up sometimes. Doesn't compare to someone who spend a few hundred years buried and is now here with a taste of human flesh." I soften my voice. "If I thought she was directly dangerous, I wouldn't have bothered with the 'dolphin skin' song and dance. But she seems pretty close with Magdalena. You think we can destroy Magdalena and not have to deal with Jamie?"

He doesn’t want to admit it, and he’s not sure why, but… he shakes his head. “You’re right. We need to figure something out, either way.”

I rub my eyes. "We're both tired. And we have things to deal with. We don't have to decide on the exact method, right now. As long as we know we're after the same thing, that we're on the same side." I wince as I lean forward. "Hey, do you have some first aid kit? That bruise stings." I remember something. "Oh... and we should check the St Louis cemetary at night. Something's crawling around there, Luke said."

“Oh, oh, sure, sure…” he always has one in his backpack, a just-in-case thing, and he fishes it out. “Um… do you want me to leave? Because I can do that, I mean, if you want privacy…” Oh god, he’s flustered again.

I take it and then notice his flustered look. And with that, all of a sudden we're not defenders of the people of New Orleans discussing a threat to them, but two teenagers in a room. Part of me wants to just ask him to go wait in the kitchen. Another part of me wants to ask him to help. To show myself to him, to feel his hands on my skin. And somewhere, a part thinks that anything that ties him closer to me, will keep him from being influenced by those two. The moment I have that thought, I feel a tinge of dissgust at myself. But still... "Could you... just check to make sure nothing's broken or something?" I don't meet his eyes. But I still grab the bottom of my shirt, lifting it up to expose my stomach and lower ribs.

Turn on Toby: 2d6-1 6

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

I try to keep steady as I feel his fingers roaming over it, a little hiss at the sting of it. But it's not the pain that challenges my composure most. Looking in his eyes, with those warm fingers on me, it's all I can do to just nod and keep my knees from shaking. He gets a lot of attention from the girls at school, and no wonder. And why should it bother me? Maybe he flirts back a bit, maybe he goes out on a date. But I have his respect, his trust. I'm his comrade fighting against monsters. That's a lot more important than... silly harlequin novel poo poo, right? I don't envy those cheerful, laughing girls who spend their entire time making themselves look gorgeous, turning the eyes of boys like Toby. Or the refined manners and wit of a Magdalena or the grace and charms of Jamie He keeps his eyes on my face, because he thinks of me like a powerful and trusted ally, someone to has his back, not 'another fish in the dating pool'.

That's great, that's exactly as it should be. I wouldn't want it any other way. I got plenty of other stuff to deal with, so even if I wanted to, I wouldn't have time to waste on dating and stuff. So it's okay. It's all okay. I'll just stand here and feel those warm fingers on me, and nod vaguely at whatever he's saying, and I was actually not listening to the words at all.

I blink when he's ready and swallow. "Oh... I... speaking of injuries. Is that blow Elizabeth gave you all right? Things might be dangerous, so we shouldn't take any risk. You know, I suspected her earlier today. The whole 'amnesia' story is a bit convenient, and that kind of aggression was suspicious. But I'm starting to think I was off base on that one."

I just care for his physical health, like partners in monster hunting do. Perfectly normal.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

There's no reason at all for me to be happy that his talking to Cynthia is just a way to gather information, except of course the satisfaction of one's partner taking our job seriously.

I start going through the first aid kit, gathering my focus as I find some spray against bruises. "Well, we'd better be careful. It could be nothing. And we might want to avoid drawing attention to ourselves. I have... religious business tonight too. I won't be able to bail on those so...." I turn to look at his bruise and get faced with a tasty plate of beefcake.

"That's eh... that's quite... something." I say, trying to gather the shreds of my composure. I mean, I'm no innocent. I have magazines and internet. But to have it here in front of me is something else. Elizabeth, you are forgiven for this bruise. "The bruise of course. I'll spray some of this on it. I'd say to give it some rest, but I'm guessing we're not going to get that." I finish treating it, and take a deep breath. "Well then. I told Raoul I was off on a family emergency when I rushed to the warehouse. You need any help with alibis or excuses?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Jeanine Delacroix

Oh, I don't try to come together with Toby. It's better if our presence together is a thing that is not known. I mean, rumous could start. And I don't want to get in the way of Toby investigating Elizabeth. I go dressed pretty pragmatical. Purple sweater over my blouse. Black trousers with good, deep pockets. So I can have a small bottle of rum and some cigars. Some chalk and fingerpaint for if I have to draw Veve's at moment's notice. And some plastic bags. Some empty. One containing Elizabeth's hair. One containing Jamie's contract. And the cellphone. My pockets are pretty full is what I'm saying.

I do see Cyntia wrapping herself around him though. And it is fine. I got other things to take care about. . I do take notice of the blonde woman. Toby had a vision of someone getting murdered here? Well, mystery women are something to keep an eye out then.

First of all, I should see to Raoul. Because if I were a normal high school student, the fact that I ditched him at the church would be among the foremost things on my mind. "Raoul." I say. One good thing baout feeling so goddamn drained is that I kind of look like someone who's dealing with a family crisis. "Sorry for ditching you earlier today. Some... painful family business. It has to do with my aunt." I don't offer further details. and I'm hoping he doesn't pry. "I... hope I didn't get you in trouble with the priest. I'll go and apologize to him later as well."

• Locked thread