Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Anastaise Lumière, the Fae
Hot +2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark +1
Harm 0/4  XP 0/5

Capfalcon posted:

Anastaise Lumiere, Simon turns his head to look back at you, "Hey, you're new, right? Where are you from?" He just sounds like he's making conversation, but you do hear Vicky start force the pencil against the paper much harder. On your right, you see Toni whip her head away from Magdalena, eyes wide with fright. What do you do?

I can feel my cheeks starting to burn as he looks me over. drat, the boy is cute. "Oh me, I'm from St. Etienne. On the north side? It's, uhm, an all-girl's school, so..." So what? Suddenly I realize I'm already smiling back and adjusting my hair... poo poo.

Turn on Simon: 2d6+2 11 for a string on him.

I quickly try to pull myself back together, dragging my eyes away from his and smoothing my blouse. Then I glance nervously at the back of Vicky's head. She think I'm gonna try and get in on her action? I'm not like, interested in him or anything, gently caress! I just... "You two from the - the same school? Ya'll seem like a cute couple!" ...god drat it, now she's definitely gonna think something's up.

Desperate for something else to focus on, I turn to Toni. "You all right, babe? You're like, freaking out a little."

megane fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 0/5
I found out my deadbeat dad is the Lord of the Dead, I carefully think but don't fuckin' say. "Well, we went to live with my aunt and uncle in Baton Rouge. Mom's car got totaled when Allison came through a few years ago so she had us out of here the second she got the chance. Were, uh, were you here for Allison, Vicky?" I'm tryin' real goddamn hard to include her in the conversation, but she just ignores me. There's a few seconds of physically painful silence and then Toni saves the day by runnin' off.

Oh thank God, an excuse to end this horrible fuckin' conversation. I point after Toni apologetically and try to smile like I'm not the awkward fuckin' piece of poo poo I am. "I uh, I should go see if she's feelin' all right. But it's so nice to meet you, I'll see you later!" poo poo that was super flirty. "Oh ah, you both, I mean!" Aggh.

"I need to go to the bathroom, too, Mr. L," I say, and hurry after Toni without waiting for an answer. drat, my face feels like it's on fire. Toni had the right idea gettin' out of there. Now where the gently caress did she get to?

Capfalcon posted:

Which of your classmates has your father asked you about? What did he ask?

So, I've been trying to treat Dad like, well, a normal dad. It helps me not to focus on all the other poo poo. So last time I went, instead of creepy poo poo, I just told him about my new school. You know, just bullshit small talk. Anyway, that day we'd done the orientation... thing, whatever, and I'd met Jeanine. I don't remember why I mentioned her, but Dad seemed to recognize her name, like he'd heard about her from somebody or met her a long time ago or somethin'. "Ah, little miss Delacroix," he says in that deep fuckin' voice he uses when he thinks somethin's funny. "I should very much like to meet her one of these days. Let her know I asked after her, won't you?" I said I would, but how exactly am I supposed to bring it up? And how does he know about her anyway, that's really creepy.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 0/5
I hesitate, lookin' stupid as gently caress just standing there in the bathroom. This whole thing had been just an excuse to get out of class but now I'm really startin' to worry about her. On the other hand, I know when I'm feelin' like poo poo sometimes havin' somebody breathe down my fuckin' neck is the last thing I want. Agh, I dunno, how the gently caress am I supposed to know?

Well, she said she wants me gone, so fine. If she's lyin' she can fuckin' deal with it. I lean against the door of her stall for a moment. "All right, honey. Take all the time you need, I'll tell 'em you're feelin' sick. But... will you promise me you'll tell me about it later, okay? I just wanna help."

Manipulate Toni: 2d6+2 7

megane fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 11, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 1/5
"Maggie? A... a what?" At first I can't even understand what the gently caress she's sayin'. But then I remember the swamp. The crossroads.

Dad's smile.

Oh god.

I scrabble for something to say to Toni. "I, I mean, I dunno, what does that even mean? L, look, I'm sure it's just... a misunderstandin' or something'. Everybody's on edge right now. I know I ain't gotten a lot of sleep lately, if I started seein' things I wouldn't be surprised at all. I mean, gently caress, did you see Toby back there? He was practically fallin' asleep standin' up." God, I'm just babbling like an idiot. But what the gently caress am I supposed to say? "I mean, she's... just a chick, right? Here, just chill in here as long as you want. I'll watch the door and make sure nobody bothers you, and Pretty soon you'll be feelin' better, okay?" Holy poo poo.

I stand up and cross the room to look at my face in the mirror. poo poo, now I'm crying too. My makeup is fuckin' ruined, and gently caress, it takes forever in this heat. A few weeks ago I'd be fuckin' laughin' if somebody told me this poo poo. And I've been tryin' real hard to forget... everything. I mean, as long as it was just me I could pretend... But what if Toni's actually right? I mean, why the gently caress would you make poo poo like this up? Hell, Bobbie was a corpse and she sat up and looked at me; who knows what's fuckin' goin' on any more. Maybe... holy poo poo, what if, what if Maggie's the Worm? God drat it. God drat it. I put my forehead on the cool porcelain, gently caress I'm so, so pathetic.

Why can't poo poo just... work? Just go back to bein' normal?

Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6+1 12 +XP

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 1/5
I struggle back awake. poo poo. poo poo. loving hell, Dad, you couldn't like, bitch at me about my clothes or my homework, could you. Oh no, I've gotta somehow introduce your creepy rear end to some girl I just met, who is almost certainly gonna think I'm batshit insane.

Right, gently caress, I'll worry about that poo poo later. "Nah, no, I'm okay. Sorry about that, wasn't jokin' when I said I'm tired as hell. Hah." I let Toni help me to my feet, feelin' kinda woozy after... whatever the gently caress that was. I shiver thinkin' about it. gently caress, I'm gonna see that in my nightmares, what the hell. As if I needed more poo poo to wake up screamin' about.

No saving my makeup job, so I just wipe it off. "Hope you're feelin' better. Don't worry, we'll figure it out." Force a smile, there ya go. "C'mon, let's get back to class. They're probably thinkin' we went off to do crack or somethin'."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 1/5
"Sorry, Mrs. Devoreaux. Toni wasn't feelin' well, but she's doin' a bit better now, aren't you?" I give Toni a little pat on the shoulder to get her to smile appropriately. gently caress I'm a bad liar.

Manipulate Mrs. Devoreaux: 2d6+2 6 :v:

Seeing Maggie sends a jolt of fear up my spine, but I shake my head and drive that poo poo out of my mind. It's probably just Toni gettin' worked up over nothing. There's no reason to believe Maggie is anything more than a... well, okay, she's not exactly normal, I mean the girl thinks jeans are fuckin' scandalous, but at least one-hundred percent human.

Still, don't want Toni gettin' her panties in a twist again. "That's, that's great, Maggie! So..." I glance at the teacher. "What are we partners for exactly?" While I'm movin' to join Magdalena, I take the chance to push Toni gently in the direction of David. No partner, and from what I hear he's a fairly nice guy, plays the sax I think? Should keep her out of trouble, with any luck.

megane fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 12, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 1/5
I watch nervously as Toby and Maggie get sent away, but I guess I should count myself lucky all we got was Ms. Lamb. Seems like a pretty cool teacher all around. Sure as hell don't want anything to do with the fuckin' cops, Mom would literally kill me. Rip out my heart, dump me in Lake Pontchartrain, no questions asked.

I smile politely and do my best to look all apologetic and poo poo. "Yes, sorry Ms. Lamb. Yeah, we're just feelin' a little out of it 'cause of... everything." I reach over and pull Toni into a sorta half-hug thing. "Won't happen again, I promise."

It's great to see Toni feeling... not so lovely, you know. When Toni mentions 'making out in the bathroom' I laugh, partly just 'cause it's so fuckin' normal compared to what I was actually doin'. "Hah, wonder what Ms. Lamb woulda said about that, huh?" Dang, she looks a lot cuter when she smiles.

I scoot my chair over to hers and reach up to fix her hair; it's all frizzled up and you can totally tell she's been crying. poo poo, I probably look the same way. Got a whole bunch of those fuckin' hairband things in my purse, but her hair is just fuckin' everywhere so the best I can manage is a ponytail. Eventually I sigh and lay her head down in my lap, then lean back and relax. "gently caress. I vote we chill here for a minute, then we'll go see how those nerds are doin' in PE, hm?"

Turn on Toni: 2d6+2 10 so I'll take a string on her.

After this, we'll head off towards the gym. I'm hoping we can catch just the end of it so we don't have to actually, you know, do any fuckin' sports. I really need to find Jeanine, Dad sounded pissed.

megane fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 12, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 1/5

Capfalcon posted:

Anastaise, Toni sighs in contentment as she relaxes on your lap. A few quiet moments pass before she looks up and asks, "Do you believe me? About, you know..." She shrugs a little uncomfortably. What do you do?

I run my fingers through her hair. What the gently caress do I say to this girl? "I guess I do... but I dunno what the gently caress is goin' on around here lately. This poo poo is way over my fuckin' head, let me tell ya." Ain't that the truth. "Look, don't worry about it; I'll find out what's up with Maggie. I've got, uh, a friend who might know something. In the meantime, just steer clear of her and try not to think about it too much, okay babe?"

We head towards the gym, but we're too late, everybody's already leavin'. Guess we spent too much time fuckin' around with each other's hair. So we turn around and head to the cafeteria. I look around for Jeanine, but there's no sign of her. poo poo. Jamie's nearby, though, don't they know each other? "Hey Jamie, how was Phys Ed?" I say, tryin' to sound innocent. "You seen Jeanine around anywhere? I had a question for her. About the uh, chemistry project. I was gonna talk to her at PE but of course Toni and I got hauled in. We just took some bullshit off the counselor for bein' late but I hear Maggie had the goddamn police after her! What the gently caress?"

megane fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 12, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 2/5
My eyes widen a little bit when Jamie starts talkin' about Maggie. I try to remind myself I don't really know anything about it, but gently caress, what if she's, like, dangerous? "Look, Jamie," I start, checking behind me to make sure Magdalena is out of earshot. How do I explain this poo poo? "I know Maggie's your friend and all, and she seems super nice, but you might wanna... watch your step around her." I glance at Toni for support. "I mean, there's just some, like, strange fuckin' rumors goin' around. Probably nothin'! But, I mean, you know." I bite my lip nervously, scrabbling for words. "You can never be too careful. Sometimes, sometimes poo poo isn't what it seems, right?"

loving hell, I must sound like a complete rear end in a top hat. My cheeks are burning again. Why the hell did I bring this up?

Shut down Jamie: 2d6-1 3

megane fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 13, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 2/5
My heart is sinking as I try to think of what to say to Jamie, but that's nothing compared to the pain when I hear Maggie's voice behind me. "Oh God, Maggie, no, that's, that's not what I..." Panic and shame turn my throat to stone. I look at Jamie, then at Maggie, feeling worthless and weak. Why did I do that? Such a goddamn idiot. poo poo, I'm crying again, gently caress. I just want to fuckin' die, right now.

Standin' up suddenly seems fuckin' impossible, my knees have just gone to poo poo. I collapse miserably onto a bench, clutching hopelessly at my skirt hem; I'm tryin' in vain to stop shaking. "Mags, I just... I am your friend, I'm just... stupid. So fuckin' stupid..."

I pull my knees close and close my eyes. Maybe somehow I'll disappear.

Hold Steady: 2d6-1 8 to remove false friend, but gain terrified (and lose my cool)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 2/5
C'mon, c'mon, stop cryin', I tell myself. Doesn't work the first couple of times; turns out havin' people forgive you hurts almost as bad as havin' them hate you. My throat's startin' to hurt from sobbing, that's just great, and I'm sure half the school is gonna hear about how I broke down like a bitch in the middle of the fuckin' cafeteria.

But finally I manage to pull myself together. Make myself smile. God, my eyes are probably red as hell, I must look like a fuckin' wreck. But it's better. I'm better. Maggie and Jamie are both huggin' me tight, which... feels...

I stand up, suddenly realizing I've had two girls huggin' me in public for the past couple of minutes. Embarrassed for a slightly different reason, now. "Ah, hmm! O, Okay." I straighten my blouse self-consciously. At least I've mostly stopped cryin' now, though I'm still sniffling and shakin' a little. "I. I really am sorry, gently caress, I gotta..." I shake my head, I can't figure out how to explain all the poo poo that's goin' through my head. gently caress me, I don't even understand all the poo poo that's goin' through my head.

Jamie is still holding my hand, why is -- she reads palms? Who the gently caress does that? I -- whoa, what the gently caress, oh no oh poo poo she knows! Panic and confusion race through my mind - no. No, no. Can't be, how the gently caress could she know about Dad, she doesn't know anything, breathe, just breathe. Just a coincidence. I try to make up some bullshit but nothin's comin', so I just stammer out "I know... but... look, if poo poo gets dangerous, I'll come to you, okay? I promise. But I'm fine right now, okay?"

I look over at Maggie, and I'm reminded for a moment of the dark, earthy smell of her skin and the touch of her fingers and okay, wow, I really need to get out of here. "Thanks, for uhm." I lick my lips, then smile weakly. "Look, I'll... talk to you both after school, okay?"

"Tell Jeanine I'll tell her ab- that I'll see her after school too." That thought shoves the rest of this poo poo out of my mind for the moment. Not a conversation I'm lookin' forward to.

megane fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 14, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 2/5
When Jeanine arrives, I'm sittin' in the parking lot, waitin' for my ride home. Mom works until four so it'll be a while. I can see Simon across the way, and I'm thinking: should I go over to talk to him? I mean... gently caress, Vicky's basically throwin' herself at Toby over there, Simon might be feelin' just as lovely as I am. I mean, history and math were pretty smooth sailin' since, you know, we didn't do poo poo except the syllabus and whatever. But ever since that poo poo went down at lunch, I've had this icy chill in my throat, despite the fact it's like a million motherfuckin' degrees in the school. So yeah, I just can't bring myself to look anybody in the eyes, let alone a cute guy like that. Simon and Vicky can sort their own poo poo out for now, I'll deal with it later.

Anyway.

I'd heard Jeanine cut out the last half, dunno why, so it's, well, I guess I should call it 'lucky' that she's back. Sure as gently caress doesn't feel lucky.

"Jeanine, hey. Enjoy your vacation?" I offer her a seat next to me on the bench. I've spent the past couple of hours tryin' to figure out how to explain this poo poo and haven't come up with a goddamn thing. I sigh irritably. "So, this is probably gonna sound crazy as gently caress, so sorry for that, but I made a promise and, whatever, I gotta do what I gotta do, so here goes. I dunno if you noticed, but poo poo around here is gettin' seriously fuckin' weird right now. And... I think it's my fault. You see, like... I met this guy." She gives me a look. "No, not like that that, he's my -- he's like fifty something. He's... he's... gently caress, I don't even know, somethin' I can't even explain. But I think he's connected to all this... whatever. In a big goddamn way. I feel like somehow, my meetin' him got all this poo poo started."

I turn to look at her. What do I even know about this girl? She's buddies with Jamie and Toby I think but that's all I've got. gently caress. "And the weirdest part is, he knows you. Your name at least. Says he knew your... aunt?"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 2/5
I squirm unhappily. The... is it really the truth? is on my lips but it just sounds so goddamn stupid in my head, I can't fuckin' say that... "I, look, I can't explain. The only way you'll believe me is... if I show you." A shiver runs down my spine, but I can't back out of this now. "After the party, meet me by the big white fountain on the edge of the park. Then you'll understand." I stand up to leave; thinkin' about all the implications of what I just said is beyond me right now.

"And his name... is Saturday."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 2/5  Terrified
I laugh, cold and humorless. "A joke? Don't I fuckin' wish." I pull away, averting my eyes. She's basically just confirmed I'm not crazy... and suddenly I'm thinkin' I preferred it when I thought I was. "The fountain, after the party. Jeanine, I'm... I'm sorry I got you involved in this poo poo."

I limp away, leaving her to think what she wants of me.

megane fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 14, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 2/5  Terrified
It's himmm I swallow the instinct to freak out, as well as the instinct to bitch him out for bein' such a cocksucker. gently caress it, he's right; that was way easier than I was thinkin' it was gonna be. "What did I learn? I learned... gently caress, I guess I --" I realize I'm talkin' to the fuckin' sky and quickly dig my phone out of my purse so I can at least look sane. The boy across the street was lookin' at me like I'm a goddamn alien. "Er, sorry. I guess I learned that, like... people aren't as lovely as I think they are. Even when I'm freakin' out."

"But that's not what you wanna hear, is it. You want me to say I learned to trust you, and I ain't learned that for poo poo. Not yet. I did what I promised, I'm gonna bring her... there. But Dad, Jeanine's my friend, I can't do this to her if she's gonna get hurt or... or..." A shudder of fear runs up my spine, and I shove it back down. "So, I mean, I held up my end, so it's only fair you hold up yours. Promise me she'll be safe tonight, okay? You say you didn't raise a liar, so don't make me regret tellin' the truth."

Manipulate Dad: 2d6+2 14 :smugdog:

megane fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 15, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 3/5  Terrified
My fingers tighten involuntarily, nails diggin' into the flesh of my hand. Somehow, somehow I just know -- Magdalena has broken her word. Her word. She swore Jamie would be safe with her. You wanna know the truth about someone, last thing you do is listen to what she's sayin'. I grit my teeth with rage as a trickle of blood seeps from my palm...

and then the anger is gone. In its place, a dead calm, the burning static of certainty. There's no need for fury, or for shame. She can't control what she is; if a dog bites, it's the fault of its trainer. So I won't be taking revenge. I won't shout, or scream, or cry. Oh no.

I'm going to fix it.

Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6+1 8 about how to control Mags or keep her in line; the visions are confusing and alarming. +XP

As I round a corner I snap out of my reverie when I realize I've wandered blindly into the goddamn shopping district, gotta be like a dozen blocks from the school. drat, I gotta stop walkin' around without lookin' where I'm goin'. Phone says it's 4:03 so Mom just left work; I call her and say, you know, don't worry about pickin' me up, I'm walkin' home 'cause I wanted to get somethin' for the party, oh yeah Mom, no it's just a little thing in the park, don't worry, love you too, Mom. Anyway. I'm looking through the shops when I see... what's her name, Elizabeth, right? standin' outside the cafe. I file all those dangerous thoughts away in the back of my head and head over to meet her. "Hey Liz! Out shoppin'? Nice jeans!"

megane fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 15, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:

Ferrosol posted:

"Oh umm, hey Anastaise right? Yeah I bought these for the party tonight. Will you be attending? Most of our class is planning to be there and it's a good way to get to know everyone."
"Oh, yes, of course I'll be there! I was just thinkin' of lookin' around for somethin' to wear, a lot of my poo poo got hosed up in the storm. You know, not like, unwearable, but I'd rather have somethin' new. You wanna help me pick somethin' out?" I look in through the window and notice poor Vicky inside, looking pissed. "Hm, she's lookin' kinda upset. Maybe we should invite her along? I kinda pissed her off earlier, I think."

I give Elizabeth a big smile and a hug -- gently caress, it feels good to talk to someone normal for once -- and then pull her over so I can lean in through the cafe door. "Hi, Vicky! You, uh, you okay?" Doin' my best 'casual friend who isn't interested in your guy' impression, here. "I was gonna go shoppin' for a bit, you know, since it's cooled off a little. You wanna come?"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
"gently caress, those cocksuckers don't know what they're missin' out on, huh girls?" I force myself to keep smilin', but in my pocket I'm runnin' my fingers along the edge of the business card. He's dangerous. Gotta remember that.

Luckily I've got some cash on me. I've been workin' at the Italian place down the street from the school; Mr. Anseli can be kind of an rear end in a top hat sometimes, but you know, cash is cash. Plus, this one time this guy hits the wine a little hard and tries to hassle Marie, you know, gettin' up too close and whatever, and Mr. Anseli literally throws the guy outta the goddamn door. Guess you get big muscles liftin' sacks of flour all drat day. So yeah, it's safer than a lotta places I could be workin'.

We hang around in Venus' like we've got a chance in hell of buyin' anything. Fun to try poo poo on, anyway. I'm thinkin', must be pretty hard for Vicky to find stuff that fits since, you know, she's a frickin' giraffe (I don't mention that). So, I went diggin' around in the racks and found this sweet blue dress with kind of a turtleneck sorta collar on it, and I guess I did a pretty good job 'cause she looks sexy as gently caress in that thing. She kinda blushes a bit when I tell her so. Guess she's forgotten the whole Simon thing. ...maybe she forgot Simon himself in the process.

Turn on Vicky: 2d6+2 9

...and I guess she decides she wants it pretty bad, 'cause she does this weird thing where she like, switches around some vests and poo poo, you know, like she's tryin' out different looks, and then -- I didn't even catch her doin' it, and I was watchin' her the whole goddamn time -- once we head out she's somehow got that dress crammed in her purse. I almost say somethin', but she looks so fuckin' happy about it, so I bite my tongue. Maybe she's hard up for cash? I'll ask Mr. Anseli if he might wanna hire her on.

We round the corner and see Raoul talkin' to Luke. poo poo. Luke always scares the hell out of me, I dunno why, he's just so drat creepy. So I hang back and cling onto Elizabeth's arm where I can sort of hide behind her. She seems so much more... confident than me, it's like nothin' bothers her at all. drat it, why can't I talk to boys like that? I look up at her uncertainly, waiting for her to take the lead.

Turn on Lizzie: 2d6+2 9

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 5/5  Terrified
It's cold as hell tonight, so I'm really wishin' I'd worn some leggings under my skirt. Mom got it for me for my birthday, it's this nice dark blue with pleats on the sides. I did burn a paycheck on a pretty sweet jean jacket while I was out shoppin' with Liz and Vicky, though, so I put that on over my yellow tank top. The jacket's long enough that it hangs down over my butt, which is a plus.

Liz's friend Cynthia kinda recruited me to help set poo poo up, so I spent a while unstackin' tables and hangin' speakers and poo poo before Cythnia runs off to throw herself on top of Toby. We were in the middle of carryin' this bigass bag of ice and she basically just shoves it into my arms, so gently caress me pretty much. I dump it by the drinks, hesitate for a second lookin' at the cokes, but gently caress it, I pour myself a beer. I gag a little when I taste it, uck, but I force it down and distract myself lookin' at all the people wandering in. Looks like Toni's hangin' out with Davis -- maybe it was a mistake settin' them up, he sounded like an rear end in a top hat in the mall. But as least she's happy for now, if only 'cause she ain't seen Maggie stalkin' around. gently caress I'm tired of fixin' poo poo for people.

I catch Jeanine's eye for a moment, but don't say anything. Puttin' that off as long as possible. Also she's hangin' out with that cocksucker Luke, yuck.

But I do notice Jamie and Toby talking, so while Jamie's tryin' waaay too hard to flirt with him, I fill up a cup of booze, then head over, shoving my hands into my pockets and pullin' my jacket down. "Poor Vicky was worryin' about you, ya know. Little rude to just leave a girl hangin' like that."

Turn on Toby: 2d6+3 8, tagging No Manners

Jamie's blushin' like crazy; I don't blame her, that was a seriously fuckin' pitiful attempt to hit on the poor boy. "Hm, or perhaps you were runnin' off to meet somebody... else?" Smile politely. Don't look smug. 'Cause it ain't necessary.

Shut down Jamie: 2d6-1 8. I'll give her the condition Easy and she can give me one back.

megane fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 18, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 0/5  Terrified, Selfhugger
I smile and lean playfully against Toby's arm, tryin' not to glare at Jamie. "Good. Vicky's sweet, you should-"

There's a commotion across the way, what's goin' on? gently caress I wish I was taller sometimes... oh God, my blood goes cold as I see Mags leanin' over some guy. Wait a sec, isn't that Jacques? And everyone's clappin', so I guess she just kicked his rear end, which I mean, he heartily fuckin' deserves. But when I look at Toby, he ain't lookin' at Jacques or Magdalena, he's glarin' at that chick in red. I can feel him tense up, so I grab onto his arm and look him in the eye, like: you just promised me this. Stay the gently caress out of it.

megane fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 18, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 0/5  Terrified, Selfhugger
Who the gently caress does this bitch think she is? My grip on Toby's shoulder tightens a little. She's really pissin' me off, I mean, Toby obviously hates her tits off, where the gently caress's she get off kissin' him? God! ...poo poo, I'm gettin' a little drunk already, I just had, like, a drink and a half. I bite back the urge to snap at her -- wanna know the truth about someone, last thing you do is listen to what she's sayin', right?

I pull Toby away from her. "Nah, she's just fuckin' off and leavin' Toby and I alone, 'cause some people can take a hint." My breath kinda catches as I psyche myself up, then before I can talk myself out of it I pull Toby down, run my fingers up into his hair, and kiss him. On the mouth; I ain't a goddamn pussy. Inside my head I'm panicking, my heart feels like it's gonna crawl up out of my fuckin' chest, my knees are shakin', but I fight all that poo poo back down. I win, bitch.

Turn on Toby: 2d6+2 8

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 0/5  Selfhugger
For a moment I let myself snuggle against Toby's chest -- he's so warm -- but then reality comes floodin' back in like a spotlight and I pull back nervously. Amazing? Me? I don't even know how to respond to that, I just kinda stammer for a second. gently caress.

Giving Toby a string.

"Sorry, sorry, I just, you know, I figured she was botherin' you, and, uh." gently caress, I'm such a loser. "I know you and Jeanine are, like..." I trail off uselessly as his phone begins beeping. He's obviously got more important poo poo to deal with than some stupid girl, especially an insensitive bitch who just kissed him without askin'. I squeeze my eyes closed so I don't have to see his face, or Cynthia's, or anyone's.

"Go on. Just... it's okay." I step back and wrap my arms around myself, tryin' in vain to hold out the chill.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 1/5  Selfhugger
Toby goes dashin' off into the woods, chasin' who knows what. That leaves me standin' by myself, lookin' stupid, while Cynthia bores holes in the back on my fuckin' skull with that glare of hers. But hey, gently caress me, right? I sigh. God drat it.

I pull myself up out of my misery. Toby seems pretty drat worried about this friend of his, so I start towards the bathrooms only to meet Maggie comin' the other way. Mystery fuckin' solved I guess; who else would he be worryin' about. She tosses somethin' into the fire, but she doesn't look drunk or blood-spattered or anything, so hopefully whatever Toby was afraid of ain't happened yet. Toni's voice rings in the back of my head, but I'm just too drat tired to be scared at this point, so I just pass her the drink I poured for Toby. "Hey Maggie. Enjoyin' the party? Saw you handed Jacques his rear end, so thanks for that."

Taking the XP; I'll hang around her and follow her if she takes off somewhere.

megane fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 19, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
poo poo, Vicky's lookin' kinda down; I take a step in her direction... but Magdalena looks like she's gettin' ready to run off and, uh. Is she... sniffing the air? What the gently caress. She looks angry as hell, too. gently caress, I've gotta keep an eye on her, now more than ever. Ugh, why can't people just settle down and enjoy the goddamn party?

So I catch Vicky's eye and give her my best sympathetic expression, tryin' real hard not to make eye contact with Cynthia. I gesture towards Mags, like: I gotta deal with this poo poo, I'm sorry, then mouth "Call me later." I gave her my number at the mall, hopefully I can explain then. Or, you know, make somethin' up.

I finish my drink. Really startin' to feel it now; I should stop. ...I grab another one.

megane fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 19, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Startin' to get kinda worried about Mags. Can't stop thinkin' about Toni's 'corpse' warning, as dumb as that poo poo sounds. I mean, we're just sort of wanderin' through the dark woods... for no apparent reason... while she looks more and more pissed...

I try to stay a few steps out of her reach. You know, like, just in case. It's not like I don't trust her, I'm just uh, bein' careful.

All right, at this point it's obvious she doesn't know where the gently caress she's goin'. "You know... Toni's kinda terrified of you." I can see my breath in the air, drat it's cold here. "I'm really hopin' she's wrong about you. And if she is... you should, like, let her know that, okay? Be nice to her, show her you aren't... whatever. She doesn't hate you, it's just, it's hard to talk to somebody you're scared of, you know?" I brush my hair back and try to look like I'm not talkin' about myself, here. Not workin'.

Spending a string on Mags to offer her XP if she works things out with Toni.

megane fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 20, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
I fumble with my phone, uselessly tryin' to find Toby's goddamn number, but then the cops show up. I hesitate for a moment, but at the very least the police will get Jamie to a hospital. A bunch of other kids showin' up outta nowhere -- especially Toby, who's been in trouble with them -- seems like it'd cause more problems than it solves. Hell, if Mom found out I'd gotten in trouble with the cops she'd throw me under a goddamn bus. So I just take this poo poo as my cue to slink away into the woods.

...but now that I think about it, Magdalena is there too. Cryin' her crocodile tears when probably it's her drat fault Jamie's like that. I want to help the girl but first she's gotta learn that she can't just run around like a mad dog, that her actions have consequences. 'Cause every time she weasels her way out of somethin' she's gonna get bolder and more confident, and pretty soon Jamie's gonna be more than injured, mark my fuckin' words. So perhaps a trip through the Nawlins justice system will do her some good. Wouldn't it be great if her silver tongue abandoned her right about now? She ain't eighteen yet, and there's no evidence for them to go on, so the worst they'll do is stick her in juvie for a few days. Hmm.

Spending a string on Mags to have her gently caress up talking to the cops, as revenge for her breaking her promise not to hurt Jamie.

As I turn back towards the park, I get a text from Jeanine. gently caress! I'd almost forgotten our little... meeting. I swerve south to meet her at the fountain. drat, she's lookin' pretty fuckin' beat up! "Jeanine, holy poo poo! Are you okay?" Lookin' at her closely, is that... blood? What the gently caress has she been doing? "Jamie and Mags got in a fight with some weirdo and it looks like the cops are here. I'm thinkin' this is a pretty good time to make ourselves scarce." I sit down on the fountain next to her to help her clean the gunk off, and give her a hug and sighing. "What the gently caress, this was supposed to just be a normal goddamn party," I say to nobody in particular. I lend her my purse so she can clean herself up a bit while I retrieve the bag I stashed here before the party started. Two pairs of wading boots -- hopefully her feet are about the same size as mine -- a couple of flashlights, and a bottle of Barbancourt, which is apparently his favourite. Me, I tried a sip of it once and nearly threw up, which he found absolutely fuckin' hilarious, of course.

When I return, I notice she's got all this poo poo set up. Vodou? I assumed she was Catholic but I guess that might explain why Dad's interested in her. I toss her a pair of boots. "We gotta go out into the bayou to get... there. Sorry." Hesitating, rubbing my fingers on the label of the rum. "You... sure you wanna do this? Da- uh, I mean, Mr. Saturday promised he'll be nice as long as you 'show him respect,' whatever the gently caress that means, but..." I trail off, looking out through the misty woods of the bayou. "Thanks. For doin' this with me, you know. Somebody else goes with me -- well, maybe that means I ain't as crazy as I thought I was?"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
The way to the crossroads is always... strange. Confusin'. For a while, we're just walkin', mud suckin' at our boots. Jeanine's obviously been out in the swamp before, but she still gets stuck a few times. And... slowly my mind starts to wonder, and I find myself just lookin' at my feet and thinkin' about Jamie lyin' there bleeding with Mags hoverin' over her. The... transition... you don't even notice. It's slow and subtle, you know? So it's always kinda terrifyin' to realise the light's a little different, feel that shiver run up my spine, look up to see that signpost loomin' out of the mist.

I hang back as Dad delivers his message to Jeanine. God drat that man is creepy. Couldn't just, you know, write that poo poo down, oh no. It's weird to see Jeanine treatin' him with such... respect. But, I mean, despite the freaky psycho-killer act, I guess he's like, doin' the right thing, right? Deliverin' a message from her dead aunt, helpin' her deal with poo poo. He ain't so bad when he's bein' helpful instead of, you know, tryin' to scare the poo poo out of me.

Jeanine leaves, lookin' kinda shaken up. gently caress, who could blame her? Hopefully she'll make it back all right. Once she's out of earshot, I turn back to Dad. "Hey there." I smile. It feels good to have... settled poo poo. He held up his side of the bargain, after all, and so did I. "Thanks for... helpin' Jeanine out, you know? Oh, and like, Mom's doin' fine, looks like her job's gonna start back up here in a week or so." He'll never admit he wants to hear about Mom, but I can see it makes him happy.

Then he pulls out the contract. I take it carefully, my hands shakin' a little bit. At first I'm thinkin', no fuckin' way, this is a terrible goddamn idea. I barely know what the gently caress he is, let alone what he's capable of. But... if today's shown me anything, it's that poo poo is goin' south around here drat fast. Dad may be scary as poo poo, but he keeps his fuckin' word, which is more than I can say for, like, basically anybody else at this point. And havin' him on my side is better than the alternative, right? These thoughts are whirlin' around my head, and then... I've done it. It's too late now, I've taken the needle, pricked my thumb, signed the X. No going back. A rush of excitement... or is it terror? I can't tell the difference any more. I break out the bottle of rum, and take a long, searing drink before I hand it to Dad. It burns, like liquid fire, like drinking the sun.

Taking Soul Debt for my advance. Bargains are Uncanny Voices and The Power Flows Through You.

Once I've said goodbye, I leave the bottle with Dad and head back to the fountain. Jeanine's sittin' there, lookin' like a wreck. It's been a long goddamn day, no poo poo... but somehow, poo poo doesn't seem quite as bad, now that it's over with. I sit on the fountain next to her and lean her down to cry against my shoulder.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 3/5  Selfhugger

Capfalcon posted:

Anastaise, as a gesture to even the scales, the good Baron offers you a secret. Which of your classmates does he tell you about, and what does he tell you that disgusts you?
It's lucky that homeroom is so, you know, laid-back, 'cause I cannot concentrate for poo poo today. Mags and Toni, I hear through the grapevine, spent the night in the fuckin' clink, and I can't help but think back to what Dad offered me as his first 'favour': while we're burnin' through that bottle of Barbancourt, he suddenly brings up Toni out of nowhere. Like, okay, I guess he had a reason to know about Jeanine, but poo poo, Toni's one hundred percent grass-fed normal girl, right? Well, I guess not, 'cause Dad goes: "yep, that girl's just like you, child, half one thing and half... somethin' else" (ugh, I can still his creepy-rear end voice in the back of my head). I saw her parents pickin' her up yesterday, and they, you know, looked like normal people... but uh. Considerin' what I know about Mags and so on. I guess that ain't enough any more. God drat it. Toni was like, a rock, you know? One person who actually reacted to all this poo poo in a reasonable fuckin' way. By screamin' her head off, that is. Hell, does she even know this poo poo about herself? The whole thing just makes my stomach turn.

But I don't have all that long to dwell on it, 'cause out of nowhere Jamie fuckin' decks Toby. I don't even see it happen, but Jesus, I can hear the bones breakin'. gently caress, gently caress! What the hell did she do that for?? Oh god, he's bleeding, oh God his neck...

Hold Steady: 2d6-1 4

poo poo, poo poo, no no no he can't be dead! Not after last night, not now, oh God what if it's my fault?? I barely register the people running around me in a panic, my world is contracting to just the face of this guy, watching his life pour out of his fuckin' nostrils. Somebody says my name, somewhere far off, and I kind of drift over to Toby's side, trying to press on his neck and his face even as my brain calmly screams that there ain't poo poo to be done.

I'm just about to collapse myself when he finally sucks in a ragged breath and opens his eyes, thank God. I practically crush him back to unconsciousness in relief, huggin' his face to my chest and forcin' him to stay still. "St, gently caress, Toby, no, stay down! Your neck, your, your neck, you can't m-move that poo poo, fuckin' stop!"

Turn on Toby: 2d6+3 9 (using Drained)

megane fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 24, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Slowly I realize somebody's draggin' me away from Toby. He's alive, focus! Jeanine and Luke look like they're helpin' the poor boy, but Toni is haulin' my rear end out of the classroom and doesn't look like she's about to listen to any arguments about it.

"Toni, slow down, Jesus, what the gently caress?" I ask, rubbin' my wrist. How... what does she know about last night? "Lotta weird crap happened last night, but I didn't do poo poo except... except make good on this promise I made to my Dad. And get confused as gently caress, I did a hell of a lot of that. Okay? What's wrong, Toni, why are you asking me this?" I sigh and sit down irritably on the sink. "I still dunno what the gently caress is goin' on. Mags... she's dangerous, I'm pretty drat sure about that, but I don't know why. Or what the gently caress to do about it." My memory dredges up the little business card, still tucked in my purse, but I don't mention it. ...and then I remember what Dad told me. "Look, Toni, if, if you're involved in this poo poo... I'm on your side, okay? I promise, I'm just tryin' to help. And I don't promise poo poo lightly." I try to smile confidently, but 'confident' sure ain't what I'm feelin' right now.

Manipulate Toni: 2d6+2 11 to change the subject. In exchange I'm promising to help her with whatever her problem is.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Oh wonderful, looks like there's another fuckin' fire startin'. "Wait here, Toni," I ask, and set off to follow them. As they near the door, though, Toby hurls Luke aside -- poo poo, he's really pissed now. It's a shock to realize that this guy, who just looked so vulnerable, who, gently caress, I was just cryin' over, is now scarin' the poo poo out of me.

I turn away; I can't deal with this poo poo right now. Liz I can handle. Liz I can keep an eye on. She heads into the graveyard, actin' pretty strangely, and I trail along after her. What's gotten into her?

But I'm interrupted as she rounds the corner, and I see what she was chasing. Magdalena and Jamie... gently caress... they're together. Right here, in the open. Have they no loving shame? And... oh God, what if Jamie's in danger? I start forward...

And then Jamie opens her mouth to sing, and my brain revolts. It's sickening. I can feel the saccharine touch of her music on my mind like a drug, crushing me under, forcin' me to sleep. As my mind goes blank, I try to scream, but nothing comes out.

Hold Steady: 2d6+1 5 Giving Dad a string for +2, but no dice.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
My sanity returns and, oh no, no no no, I'm trapped in a fuckin' cemetery with them starin' down at me! Panicking, I try to jerk away, but something's caught my ankles, I can't get away, oh god, and then Jamie -- no, the thing that calls itself Jamie, she can't be human, not with that voice... leans in close. I can still feel her tendrils slithering through my mind, and suddenly the terror boils up, and my veneer of calm evaporates.

I scream. As loud and as long as I can, a horrible, piercing wail. "G-get away from me! Please... somebody!" I stammer, helplessly trying to drag myself and Elizabeth away from the horrors looming over us.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Magdalena tries to get me to calm down, by it's way too fuckin' late for that; I flinch backwards in frightened anger. "Liar. Liar! I know what you are, don't you dare fuckin' hurt her, you monster!" I wrap myself around poor Liz -- who's basically frozen with fear, as far as I can tell, and weeping inconsolably -- and try in vain to soothe her, or at least shield her from Mags and Jamie.

Giving Maggie the condition Monster. Turn on Liz: 2d6+3 9 using frightened.

Luckily, Toby comes out of fuckin' nowhere to save us, thank God. Though it's obviously a fuckin' miracle he's here, something's different; the cute boy who smiled at me yesterday, who kissed me at the party, is gone, replaced by someone I don't know. A killer. And judgin' by what Jamie says, I'm surrounded by killers here. Toby wrestles with the two girls, and comes up with his hands around Mags' throat. I'm not screaming. Why am I not screaming? Everything seems so unreal, like it's all just a bad dream.

I watch, transfixed, as Toby's fingers squeeze, constrictin' around Magdalena's neck like snakes. I watch his eyes as he does it. And I look up at my father, at my father's smile.

This is justice.

Spending a string on Mags to deal her a harm, as punishment for her oathbreaking.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 3/5  Selfhugger, Screamer
What do I do? I'll tell you what I fuckin' do: I sit on the grass and cry like I'm five, that's what I do. "It had to happen, it had to end," I keep tellin' myself, but I'm not sure I'm buyin' it. Lookin' at her neck twisted like that, it's hard to remember the monster inside her... just her smile, the way Jamie looked at her. I manage to get my shoes untangled enough to get over to her body, and I just kneel over her sobbin' until the sirens get close, and I feel a hand on my shoulder as this cop pulls me away.

She sits me in the back of this cop van and they put that dumbass blanket on me, you know, like I'm in shock or whatever. Am I in shock? I don't know if I'm in shock. How do you tell if you're in shock? Oh, hey, are my hands shaking? I look down at my hands -- yep, shakin' -- huh, apparently somebody handed me a cup of fuckin' coffee. Coffee ain't what I need right now, haha, hmm.

Eventually I guess they figure I've had enough lovely coffee for them to ask me questions or whatever. Anastaise but nobody calls me Anast- I, uhm. Yeah, I know, knew, know her. Magdalena Desomething. No, I dunno where she lives, lived, oh God. Yes, I'm okay, I'm okay; I'm okay. She was, I mean, I came runnin' cause I heard shoutin', and she was fightin' with somebody, a, a girl and a guy, the guy k, he k, k... I curl up and try not to collapse. Is it fear or guilt or anger or sorrow? I don't know.

No. No, I didn't recognize him. Somebody I don't know.

I start laughing, even though it ain't funny.

Manipulate the Cops: 2d6+2 7

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
To be honest, it barely even registers when they, you know, take my fingerprints and poo poo. They say open your mouth, I open it, they say write this, I write it. Too weak right now to even complain. Finally the cop takes pity on me and lets me go. She wants to give me a ride or whatever but I tell her I'm good to walk home. Am I lying? Who gives a poo poo.

Start headin' back through the cemetery. Yellow tape all over the place now; they carried poor Mags away a while ago so I guess they're investigatin' poo poo now. Red and blue lights flash off the headstones as I swing south towards home. Turning the corner, I find myself lookin' at a grave I've seen before, on this school trip we took once. I remember -- back when Jeanine was freakin' out last night, after we got back from... there. She was talkin' about this place, you know, while she was uh, bawlin' her eyes out. Not that I'm any better; I'd be cryin' right now, only I guess I'm just flat out of tears for today.

Marie Laveau's tomb. Katrina took a lot out of it, but I dunno, that just, just makes it even more imposing somehow. What was it Jeanine said... gently caress, I was so drunk at that point. Okay, no, I remember now... Yeah, she... buried somethin' here? Somethin' that belongs to Jamie... that song, that horrible, beautiful song rings in my ears. My knees go weak for a moment just from the fuckin' memory of it; gently caress, I'm even humming it. I grab the sides of my head -- get out, gently caress me, get out!!! ...and then something catches my eye, buried down in the pile of gifts and poo poo lyin' at the front of the tomb.

It shimmers oddly, in time with the song. I hum louder, and even though my dumbass humming is a fuckin' joke compared to Jamie's voice, the little thing almost looks like it's glowing... a few days ago this poo poo would've creeped me the gently caress out, no joke, but it doesn't even seem strange now. I pull it out, dust it off. Jamie's. Hmm.

I tuck it away in my purse and head for home.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Even stuffed in my purse, that stupid dolphin makes me nervous. Jamie and Jeanine are playin' some sort of fuckin' mind game over this thing, I just know it, and after what I just saw I am seriously fed up with that poo poo. Once I'm safe, sittin' on a bench a few blocks from the park, I pull it out and glare at it. Those glossy black eyes stare back at me, unimpressed. Why would somethin' like this be important to Jamie of all people? I mean, I have a bunch of these at... at home. At my real house, the one that's all hosed up, not the trailer we lie and call "home" right now. So, I guess I can understand it a little -- it's... a symbol, you know? Of her home, Jamie's home. A place far, far away. A place she misses, but isn't sure she wants to return to -- gently caress me, I can sympathize with that. A place deep beneath the w... wait, poo poo, how am I so certain about all this? Ugh, gently caress. Dad is rubbing off on me. I cram the drat thing back in my purse, rubbing my eyes. Poor Jamie...

Hold on. I pat myself down: purse, pocket, other pocket, gently caress, that bitch! "Poor Jamie" my rear end, that psycho piece of poo poo stole my goddamn phone! Grrrrnh! And Toby's probably still waiting for me... Toby... no, gently caress, I can't think about Toby right now. I slump back down on the bench for a minute, tryin' to get the images of Mags out of my head, before I'm interrupted by the sound of someone sobbin' off behind me. I round the corner hesitantly, and find... ah, poo poo what was her name again? C something. Cindy? Liz's friend. She's kind of slumped on the ground, like, maybe she tripped and whoa, goddamn, somebody kicked the everlivin' poo poo out of this girl! Her hair is a trainwreck and her cheek is bleedin' pretty badly. "Holy poo poo, are you okay?" I ask, pullin' her up. "Here, jeez, calm down, it's okay..." I wipe some of the blood off her face with my sleeve. Looks like she's mostly just scratched up, doesn't need a hospital or whatever, but I'm thinkin' she shouldn't be walkin' around on that ankle. What the gently caress am I supposed to do?

But... I can't panic any more. I'm just too goddamn worn out for this poo poo to count as a crisis. This poo poo is loving mundane. This, I can loving fix. Hell, she probably just needs a shower and a ride home or whatever. Luckily we're pretty close to my house now, so I just wrap her arms around my neck, pick her up and fuckin' carry her there -- she barely weighs a thing; eat a sandwich, girl. Look at that poo poo, I even made a fuckin' joke, go me.

Hopefully Mom isn't home yet, 'cause I have no goddamn clue how I'm gonna explain this.

Turn on Cynthia: 2d6+3 11 using Intimidated. Taking a string.

Highlighting Dark for Mags.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 4/5  Selfhugger, Screamer
Guess I lucked the gently caress out; Mom must be workin' late today. Once Cynthia's calmed down a bit, I make her take a shower, and then take one myself. Turn the heat all the way up 'til the water's so hot it hurts, then stand there feeling it scaldin' my back for what feels like hours. I was hopin' I'd feel better when I'm clean... but no matter how hard I scrub, I can't get that murderous look on Toby's face out of my mind. gently caress me.

Finally my toes are startin' to hurt from the water, so I know it's time to go back out into the cold. I wrap myself up in the fuzziest towel I can find and sit down next to Cynthia to dry my hair. Her shirt had this huge fuckin' tear down the sleeve, so I let her borrow this stripey purple one I used to wear in middle school. Too tight on me but looks like it's just the right size for her. "It's okay. Liz's just... havin' a bad day. We..." I hesitate, tryin' to think how much I can tell this girl. "Look, we had some fuckin' terrible poo poo happen to us earlier. Don't hate her, okay?" I give the poor girl a hug, then grab the phone and rack my brain for Toby's number. "I'm gonna call Toby, okay? He'll... he'll know what to do." That face flashes in my mind once again, and I shudder. He might know what to do, but gently caress, do I really want him to do it?

"Toby? You there? Sorry for not comin' over, I got a little distracted." There's this little tuggin' sensation at the back of my head and I realize Cynthia's braiding my hair; those tiny little fingers are fast as hell. "I uh, had to help somebody, you know. I think J- uh, our friend the singer stole my goddamn phone, that bitch." Suddenly I get this sinking feeling. "W... where are you?"

Turn on Cynthia: 2d6+2 9
If Toby answers, I'll give Dad a string to learn one of Toby's secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths.

megane fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 7, 2015

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
"Ow, jeez Cynthia!" gently caress, that kinda stung! I rub my scalp, then cover the phone with my hand as I wait for Toby to come back. "I, I, okay, that's good. I'm sure Liz wouldn't, uh, wouldn't hurt anybody. At least not on purpose. She's just, you know, in a weird mood I guess?" But even as I force a comforting smile for Cynthia's benefit, there's this little shiver of fear tricklin' up my spine. Hearin' Toby's voice brought all these thoughts of him floodin' into my mind, of a sweet, beautiful boy caught up in poo poo nobody should have to go through. It's like he's trapped in his own goddamn head, you know? Him and Liz in one room, the way they are right now, that's a recipe for one bigass fuckin' disaster.

I grit my teeth. Right now I'm this loving close to just tellin' the world to go gently caress itself and collapsing on my bed. I'm tired, I'm scared, I just watched one of my friends loving murder another one. And I'd just managed to get back home, where it's safe and warm. Every part of me is sayin' to just stay here, wait it out.

But somebody has to keep Toby and Liz from doin' somethin' stupid. And I ain't about to call the cops, so all that leaves is me.

"Come on, Cynthia, we're goin' there to find 'em." There's this sudden flash of terror in her eyes, but gently caress, we do not have the time for that poo poo. So I pull her to her feet, squeeze her hands, and put on my best pleading act. "C'mon, don't give out on me now, babe; I need you. Liz needs you."

As I scribble a note to my Mom (FRIEND HAS MY PHONE GONNA GO GET IT BACK BE BACK AT 8 LOVE YOU MOM) and add Cynthia's number to the bottom, I grab the phone again: "Toby? Stay there. You hear me? I'm on my way, so don't you fuckin' move." I dunno if he hears me, 'cause I'm running into my closet to get dressed.

It's gonna be cold tonight.

Manipulate Cynthia: 2d6+2 9

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Is... is she serious? Liz might be a little nuts right now but... really? What the gently caress is this girl so afraid of?

Finally I sigh. "Fine. Fine! Whatever." I slide a large knife out of the block on the counter that's currently servin' as our kitchen. The edge gleams in the light; it's almost kind of pretty. Still, probably best not to just, like, walk around swingin' that poo poo everywhere, so I wrap it in a towel.

Cynthia's still lookin' horrified, so I give her a hug, holdin' the knife awkwardly in my other hand. "gently caress, it's okay. It's not gonna come to that, right? We're just gonna, gonna talk to 'em. Okay?"

I shut off the light with a brief pang of reluctance, lock the door, and lead the way out into the night.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 5/5  Selfhugger, Screamer
Tch. I flinch as a familiar sting jabs me in the heart, and Cynthia glances up at me with concern. Toby, you loving bastard! If you aren't on death's door when I catch up to you, you're gonna be soon afterwards, mark my fuckin' words. I realize I'm grinding my teeth and on the verge of crying, and turn away from Cynthia to calm myself down, mumbling incoherently to try and convince her I'm all right. Toby... Toby needs to be... controlled. The way Liz needs to be controlled. The way, the way Mags needed to be controlled.

It's not gonna come to that. It's not gonna come to that.

The kitchen knife feels unpleasantly heavy in my hands. Though it's still hidden under the cloth, I can see, in my mind's eye, the glistening curve of its steel edge.

It's not gonna come to that.

Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6+1 5, hoping to see what Liz and Toby are going to do.

Since I leveled up, I'll take Lure as my advance:
Whenever someone makes a promise to you, they mark experience. Whenever someone breaks a promise to you and you seek vengeance, mark experience.

megane fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pre:
Harm 0/4  XP 0/5  Selfhugger, Screamer
Oh god. The phone rings as I snap out of my little nightmare -- maybe it's Toby, callin' to apologize? "I, I'm fine, babe. Just give me a sec." I head back in, uncomfortable inside in my coat, and answer the phone.

Jamie's voice. gently caress.

I dig out her stupid fuckin' dolphin thing. She's actin' like it's just a toy, but if that's all it is, why would Jeanine hide it? "Like hell I dropped it. You and I both know you, you..." I check to make sure Cynthia can't hear. "You did some freaky poo poo to my, my brain, and fuckin' stole it."

poo poo, how does she know all this stuff? I sigh, shuddering in pain, when she mentions Magdalena. "Jamie, I'm a big girl. I can handle my Da- the, the tall man. And Jeanine." Can I? Can I really? Hell, Jamie herself turned my fuckin' brain off with her goddamn voice. "So, yeah, sure, what the gently caress, you can have your dumb thing back. But poo poo is goin' down, right now. Toby's still on the warpath, and Jeanine..." Slow down. I'm soundin' like I'm freakin' out here. Jamie might not be human, but that doesn't mean I have to bitch her out. Gotta force myself to be charming -- I put on a fake smile, even though I know she can't see it. "Look, Jamie, I know you hate Jeanine. I dunno why, and I'll be honest, I couldn't give a poo poo. But she's in trouble, right loving now. And you... whatever you are, whatever you can do... maybe you can save her, because I can't." The Worm. Even indoors, even wrapped up in this coat, I suddenly feel cold. "She's in St. Louis Cemetery. Go show her, show me, you ain't the horrible bitch she thinks you are." I practically throw the phone down and rush out into the dark before Cynthia can see me cryin'.

Turn on Jamie: 2d6+3 13 for a string.

• Locked thread