Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

quote:

Toby Ceprien
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 0
Harm 0/4 Exp 0/5 Conditions:

Tired doesn't even begin to describe how Toby feels right now. If he could get away with it, he'd play hooky, but it's not like the FEMA trailers are hard to find, they'd probably send someone to come collect him, and he's not so desperate that he'd go find some abandoned place in the city and try and sleep there instead.

So here he is, tired and cranky and really not in the mood for dumb girls' giggling. If he weren't so tired, he might try to be more considerate - hell, at the very least he'd think twice about making more enemies, but not right now. Resting his chin on his crossed forearms, he glares at the girl sitting in front of him. "Yo, Bonnie, how 'bout you cram it for a bit? Didn't your mama ever teach ya manners?"

Shut Down on Bonnie - 2d6-1 8

Let's both give each other Conditions - I'll give her 'No Manners'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

quote:

Toby Ceprien

Capfalcon posted:

Toby, Bonnie harrumphs and says, "Well, what thin skin we have. I'm just shocked that someone like you doesn't have any tact to speak of." Turning back to the front, she then pulls out her phone and starts texting up a storm.
She'll return the condition, No Manners
So, what were you looking for all night? Why didn't you ask Jamie or Jeanine to come along?

drat, she sure got him good. It's going to take ages to get over that sick burn. No tact, whatever will he do with himself?

Burying his face in his forearms, he groans. Last night was a killer. Literally. The murder victim in the river? He was tracking its killer. Didn't get a good look at it, just that it was big and scaly, and its eyes were hungry for more. It was a hell of a time even tracking it down, it swam as much as it walked, he'd had to guess which forks it went down - guessed wrongly a few times. Even when he found its lair, it wasn't somewhere he could easily follow - the thing had made its nest in the sewers, and he'll be damned if he goes there at night, by himself. That's just asking to get ambushed and end up its next victim.

He's going to have to ask the others for help - not that he wants to. He doesn't like having to rely on other people to begin with. Call him stupid - and he knows they will - but his dad did this stuff on his own, and he doesn't like having to share his job with other people. Just doesn't feel right. In addition to that... Things didn't go well the last time they hunted together. Nothing serious, but well, Jeanine's bossy at the best of times, and stubborn as a mule - and so's he. When they butt heads, it can get a little messy. So... best to give it some time and keep distance, as far he's concerned. Maybe he could just ask Jamie by herself, but... truth be told, something about that girl makes him a little uneasy. She's not into whatever poo poo Jeanine is, but she doesn't seem to be at all worried about the stuff they do, and that alone sets off some alarms for him.

But, ugh... he'll have to work with them again sooner rather than later, unless he wants to stand aside and let more bodies pile up in the river. Got to figure out how to fix things with Jeanine, and just flat out get over Jamie's weirdness. Just... not right now. Right now he needs a rest. Just a little shut-eye...

Gazing into the Abyss 2d6=7

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 11, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien

Capfalcon posted:

Toby, you're running. It's late at night. Your chest burns as you pant. You've been running forever, but the eyes in the sewers are following you. You think you see someone in a blue jacket on the corner. You're sa- You can't even finish the thought as your spine erupts with fire. Even speaking is beyond your abilities. One of the last things you see is the man from the corner running over to you, but it's too late. Your head bobs below water and all is...

*BRRRRRRRRRRRRING!*

You almost fall out of your chair as the bell shatters your dream.

Almost, but not quite. Still, that's a little embarrassing. Bonnie's going to have a field day with that.

Of course it couldn't be a pleasant dream... of course. But even a bad dream's better than none at all, and it isn't just a regular nightmare. Something's trying to tell him something... Don't go to the sewers by himself, and look for someone in a blue jacket. What do they have to do with this?

quote:

Everyone aside from Anastaise (unless she leaves the bathroom), your next class is Chemistry. The teacher, Mrs. Devoreaux, is a tall, thin woman in her 20's. She's probably fresh out of college, so she hasn't had her standards lowered to that of the other teachers yet. She takes roll, and Toni (and possibly Anastaise) are missing. She hands out the syllabus to be signed by your parents. However, not only does she give a lecture on the nature of atoms, but she wants everyone to pair off into lab partners for the lab she's having you do tomorrow.

Some people just have no respect for tradition.

Toby, you see no less than Cynthia, Bernie, and Vicky looking at you, each hoping to become your lab partner. What do you do?
What hurt the last girl you got close to?

The choice of those three is simple. Cynthia was one of the girls giggling about him, like Bonnie, so screw her, she can go giggle some more with someone else. Petty, yeah, but he's in a pretty petty mood. Bernie's black eye does give him some concern, and he'll want to talk about that later, but it also reminds him of something unpleasant, so he doesn't want to work with her for a bit. With a smile on his face, Toby goes over to Vicky - the girl even taller than him, passing straight by Bernie on the way. Doesn't hurt that Vicky's pretty, too.

Oh yeah - the unpleasant thing Bernie reminds him of... Well, the last time he got close to a girl, she wanted him close, you know, like a boyfriend and girlfriend are supposed to be, but he couldn't do that, had to keep making excuses so he could do his work. One day she got mugged - left that alley a purse lighter and a black eye heavier, and he wasn't there for her, even though he'd promised to be. She dumped him, and yeah, he felt like poo poo for that, and felt twice as poo poo for the fact that he was relieved it wasn't worse. So, what hurt her? He did, honestly. He hurt her by not living up to his end of the bargain.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 0/4 Exp 1/5 Conditions: 

Capfalcon posted:

Toby, Cynthia looks crestfallen, but Bernie shrugs and goes to pair up with someone else. Vicky's smile is acidic as she throws a glance over your shoulder, but she looks at you with a much nicer smile. "It's always nice to have a cute lab partner." She grabs you by the arm and pulls you to the desk. You notice she's been sketching all class, and you see she's actually pretty good. It's just mostly just whatever she's seen out the window. A tree there, a bird there. She closes it before you can see anything else.

"So, have you heard about the dance. Any idea what you're going to be for it?"

"You're pretty cute yourself," he replies, smiling. He gives the book a brief glance before looking back at her. "Yeah, heard about it. Honestly... I'm no good with costumes. Might just show up as a responsible student, they're 'bout as fictional 'round here. How 'bout you? You as good with your costumes as you are with your sketches?" He moves to open the book again. "Hope you don't mind if I take a look?" He leans into her slightly - if this good Catholic girl wants to be touchy, he can do that, let her get close, into a chaste, not-quite hug.

Turn On Roll 2d6+1 = 10, taking a string on her, also 1 XP.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien

Capfalcon posted:

Toby, she pulls the book back but edging a little closer to you. She says with mirth in her eyes, "'Mind if I take a look at your etchings?' You should be careful with that line, Toby; it's an antique." She pauses, and adds, "Although, I'm sure we could find something for you to wear. I think you'd make a good Indiana Jones."

Okay, she doesn't want him to look at what's in her book. Now why's that? Hell, it just makes him want to look even more. "Yeah? Sad to say I've never owned a fedora in my life. What about me makes you think I'd be a good Indy? On that note - what are you planning to go as?"

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
What? Toby's brows furrow, in surprise and then frustration. The hell's this about? Looking at Jeanine, he shrugs, doesn't have a clue. Can't think of a reason why he'd be called to the principal's office, let alone with Maggie. But... there's nothing for it. Just got to go. Scowling, he heads for the door, though he'll wait for Maggie rather than heading off on his own.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Maggie... sure has a way with words. A whole lotta words to just say 'let's go'. He tries not to stare, just shrug and pull his hood up. If the teachers want to treat him like some kind of thug, why not look the part?

"Sure, let's go, Miss DuRousseau. What do you think they're calling us in for? You don't seem like some kind of hellraiser." He sets off at a slow pace down the hall.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Heh. She knows how to crack a joke, at least. But yeah, he can't see her getting into anything that would require a trip to the principal's.

When they're all in the office, joined by the two that skipped class for... whatever they were getting up to in the 'toilets' and his phone vibrates, he takes a look at the picture Jamie sent him, and frowns. Police? What the hell's going on? Like, in trouble with the school is far-fetched enough, but the police? Did someone see him and his friends out on one of their hunts? Can't be, or they'd have called in Jamie or Jeanine, right? Not Maggie. Whatever this is, this can't be good...

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 0/4 Exp 1/5 Conditions: No Manners 
That's... what? That's all? They dragged him out of class for that? He doesn't even know who his legal guardian is now... his mom, wherever the hell she is nowadays? He's more worried about Maggie, but... not worried enough to start poo poo with a police officer. She can't have done anything wrong, not a girl like her, but why do the police want to talk to her in the first place? As he heads down the hall to the gym, he sends a quick text to Jamie. 'hey, can u keep 1 eye on mag? thnx, T'

The glass catches his notice, but not his attention. Probably just a lazy janitor missing that, he guesses as he heads inside, nonchalant, like nothing ever happened. He's got a story in mind to give to the first nosy classmate that figures they have to know what happened.

Aside from that, he's always down for some basketball, and takes PE classes seriously. He keeps his eyes on Elizabeth, ready to try and steal it from her as soon as she gets close.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 1/5 Conditions: No Manners
Okay, of all the things that might happen today, Toby sure didn't expect to get floored by Lizzie. How the hell was she able to do that? Even with momentum on her side, she pulled him down like it was nothing! Nobody that looks like her should be able to do that. He'll need to talk to her after they're done.

The scar Luke asks about, he happened to get the first time he went on a hunt, before he met Jeanine and Jamie. Some emaciated, skeletal bastard took a bite at his arm, left some pretty deep marks. He says it's a dog bite, and hopes nobody here is enough of a vet to call him out on that.

Man, what the hell does Cynthia want? Is this just another prank? She went from giggling at him to getting her buddy to Bo Jackson him, and now she wants lunch? Fine, he can play ball, see what the hell this is all about. "Sure, why not?" he shrugs, and mimes wincing at the bruise. "Your buddy has a hell of a tackle - where'd she pick that up?"

Manipulate NPC - How is Cynthia so strong? 2d6+1 = 9

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
"...You want to invite me to a party after you spent the morning making fun of me with Bonnie?" he raises an eyebrow. "Or..." Oh god, he's the biggest loving dork, isn't he? He facepalms when he thinks he's figured it out. "...I haven't had enough sleep. Makes me say dumb things. Yeah, I'll be there, for sure." He does his best to not smile awkwardly.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
"Jeez... That's pretty awful for her. I didn't have any idea, but yeah - I'm not holding anything against her, er, or you, don't worry about that." Toby frowns in concern. So she lost her memory, and got something else? Maybe this is some witchcraft bullshit like Jeanine-

Speak of the devil, he's got a call from her, must be something up. She doesn't call him for any little thing, usually just sticks to texts for that. "Sorry, gotta take this. Catch up with you in a bit?" He gives her a smile as he heads off, and only when he's sure he won't be eavesdropped on does he actually answer the phone... and hooooly poo poo. Okay, she's in trouble. Where? Not in the school, surely? But she couldn't have gone far, and surely there's nothing monstrous aboveground at this time of day?

Oh god, the sewer, maybe? But why the hell would she even be there? Nevermind that. He has to find her, and he's not sure where to start - if he just picks any manhole or sewer grate, he could miss her entirely. Closing his eyes, he hopes for something... anything - a vision from God, maybe, or whatever loving thing witches consort with, anything at all.

Gaze into the Abyss 2d6 = 8

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 1/5 Conditions: No Manners, Drained
Jeanine, take a string~

God, girl smells so bad he almost gags, and fights like a wildcat when he's saving her rear end, but Toby forgets about all that when she hugs him. Bossy, mysterious, smartass Jeanine acting like this almost stuns him, leaves him lost for words. Even when she disentangles herself from him, he's still almost slackjawed, before he can shake himself back into sense. "Uh... yeah, later. I'll send a text or something, for a place and time?"

As she goes, he looks at Elizabeth. "...Oh, hey. Er, you're going to Cynthia's party, right? I've been meaning to talk to you, like, privately. Mind if we do that tonight?"

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 14, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 1/5 Conditions: No Manners, Drained
If Jeanine wanted to talk to him, she would absolutely be here, and giving him that look that says 'shelve all your plans, this is important'. But she's not, so he won't.

"Nah, nothing really. You wanna go get some coffee or something? I know a decent place not that far from here. Its owner was an old friend of my dad, and I bet you he'd give a discount, maybe even some free stuff, if I walked in alongside a pretty face like yours. Might make some people jealous." These pick up lines might be cheesy, but a little helping charm and a roguish smile can go a long way.

Turn On 2d6+1 = 5.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 2/5 Conditions: No Manners, Drained
Not long enough, but... yeah, that could have gone worse - at least she giggled and didn't just excuse herself or anything. His arm brushes hers, skin contact for just a second...

And he almost staggers, once the vision's passed, staring at her as if to make certain she is still alive, and he nods once she asks if he's okay. "I'm fine, just... I think I must've hit my head when Liz tackled, me, just got a little dizzy for a bit. We've got to take a... left, here." He smiles again as he heads that way, thinking about what he just saw.

Trees, and darkness... His instincts say that must be the party at the park, and something real serious is going to go down. It's a good thing he's going, but he needs to figure out a way to get everyone out of there, before... whatever that was that's going to tear into Vicky shows up. He'll definitely need to contact Jamie and Jeanine before then, just send off some texts while Vicky's not around.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 2/5 Conditions: No Manners, Drained
Baptiste, the cafe owner, has basically taken it upon himself to be Toby's new dad after Rita took his real one, and he acts with all the good-natured but really embarrassing enthusiasm you might expect from an old, surrogate father. I don't know how the old man did it so quick, but he even slipped in a couple of tickets to some theatrical production - all about rebirth and rebuilding and that stuff that artsy types consider all the rage in a city like this.

He'd have given him a big hug then and there if it wouldn't have been so embarrassing, and he still felt like he might fall over if he moved too fast. As it was, Toby was halfway through a string of 'you really shouldn't have, but thanks' when he catches a glimpse of a policeman - in uniform and all, waiting just outside the front door, staring straight at him, and immediately, the hairs stand up on the back of his neck.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 3/5 Conditions: No Manners, Drained
It's bad news all over, and he almost misses the buzz in his pocket from the message he's just been sent. He would have put it away if it was from anyone other than Jeanine, but again, it's got to be important, so he checks it out... and almost immediately comes to his feet. "Thanks so much, Baptiste, but I've got to go take care of something - I'll see you at the party, okay, Vicky?" He doesn't wait for any permission, and ignores Baptiste when he tells him to 'calm down, just sit and finish, it can wait," and he certainly doesn't stop to see if the police officer is coming in after him - though he hears the door open, and the bell on it tinkle.

He doesn't run right away as he heads for the kitchen, but it's a fast walk, still pretty conspicuous. Once he's clear of that, and at the back door, then he runs - towards the location Jeanine sent him. Why'd she go alone, why didn't she tell him before? She's got to be okay, she's too smart to get hosed over like this, but still, poo poo's gone wrong, and he's got to run as fast as he can, tired and shaky as he is, and hope he gets there in time. gently caress, gently caress, gently caress!

Run Away (from the police, towards the Warehouse) 2d6+1 = 11 Marking 1 XP from Volatile stat

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
His brain thinks of the most hosed up things sometimes, he swears... How's he supposed to answer that? Jamie's always had his back, even warned him about the police at school, but he thinks back to how Jeanine was after meeting the thing in the sewers, and... ugh, he doesn't want either of them to be hurt!

With adrenaline pounding and his heartbeat thudding in his ears, he can't help but picture them both, injured, bleeding, scared... and though it shames him to his core, he has to admit, he doesn't want either of them to be hurt, wants to get there before anything happens, but he doesn't want Jeanine to be hurt more, if it comes down to it.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Finally, he reaches the warehouse, and peeks through a door to take stock, steeling himself for the worst... and does not expect what he sees. What's Maggie doing here? Where's the man-eating monster? He's about to enter when Jamie starts... singing? and his mind goes... not blank, but milky, as he abandons both caution and proactivity, and just... walks in, in a daze, a trance, towards Jamie. The fog in his brain only clears when she stops singing, and he finds himself in a group hug with the others.

He looks around, at all three of them, and only one thought comes to mind, demanding to be spoken.

"Would someone like to tell me what the gently caress is going on here?"

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 16, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
It's a lot to take in, and his blood is still pumping from the thought there might be an imminent fight, even though Jamie's song has done some work to calm him down. So many secrets and lies and... Monsters aren't supposed to be like this - not so reasonable as Jamie's acting. Not so human. A part of his mind says there must be something up, some gambit to try and get her pelt back, once she realized that taking it by force wouldn't work, but... it's Jamie, for God's sake! She's had his back, how can he think that about her?

Then there's Jeanine... she really thought he'd kill Jamie, the moment he realized she wasn't human? Or, no, she was worried he'd think poorly of her for trying to keep a monster as a slave. ...Yeah, he kinda does, but he bites his tongue and avoids saying as much. Not here. Maybe later, when she tells him the rest.

He's not even sure what to think about Maggie. She always had that antiquated way of speaking, but somehow he never considered she could really be old.

For now, he lets out a deep breath. At the very worst, this is like the Rebecca situation all over again, where even he wanted to do something, he couldn't just kill something that looks like a human without having the police show up with an arrest warrant... but it doesn't have to be like that. "...Okay. Co-exist. I think I can handle that. Neither of you two have killed anybody here, have you?"

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
"Jesus loving Christ..." he hangs his head. "Okay, okay, that situation is justified. But like, no more, please? Unless you've got no more choice?" he looks to Maggie, eyes tired. This has been a surprisingly long day. "I'm not a policeman, no. I kill the things they don't even know exists, keep us safe from monsters like that thing in the sewers. It's what my dad did, and his dad, and so on. J and J help me with that."

And on cue, Jeanine pipes up with a very good example of how she helps. No, he wouldn't be so willing to give the benefit of the doubt to something that didn't look like a teenage girl. But she's acted strange herself, today, she's usually never this passive.

"Maggie, I'm gonna guess you're the man-eating monster I was told about. Where were you at lunch... and why is Jamie bleeding?"

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 16, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
This is a hell of a problem. "...No, I trust you, Jamie. I do. So I believe you when you say you let her bite you, that she's not a bad guy, and that you aren't going to kill anyone unless you have to, but still... We can't just let Maggie snack on you everytime she's hungry." What to do, what to do... Stupidly, his mind goes back to when they were going to the principal's office, and Maggie made that crack about getting in trouble. Sure didn't expect this to be the trouble she got into.

He lets Jeanine ask the question while he thinks, raising an eyebrow when she makes that reply to Jamie.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Oh drat, he actually followed him here, he was sure he'd given the policeman the slip. This is bad, he's going to ask questions about Jamie's leg, and he's probably heard them by now. "He's not gonna kill us," he murmurs, soft as he can. "I don't think running's going to get us anything. Like, he's just gonna find us at school tomorrow anyway."

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
"I can hang onto it." He extends his hand for her to give him the locket. "You can trust me with it - not that I don't trust you, but just in case anything happens... I'd rather it happened to me than you, you know?" He smiles, glad that for once he gets to look like he can protect her. They'd better make this quick, though, the cop isn't going to be patient for much longer.

Turn On Roll 2d6+1 = 10 Taking a string on Jeanine

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
He takes the locket, and shoves it in his jean pocket. "Sounds like a plan, let's stick to that story." he gives Maggie a warning glance, but that's all, no time to talk about the delicateness of the situation. The cop's coming, so as soon as the locket's away, he puts his hands, up, palms facing outwards, but he keeps silent - the last thing they need in this situation is the big, dumb, black man opening his mouth and pissing this guy off.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 4/5 Conditions: No Manners, Drained
Marking one XP for 'Growing Pains'

Toby grimaces, and glares, but... even confronting an rear end in a top hat like this, he's not dumb enough to charge a cop with a gun... holy poo poo, Maggie! He freezes, for a moment. The police officer will know now, he'll know there are supernatural things, he'll know they're associated with them. He can't be allowed to say anything, it would ruin /everyone/ here... and frankly, anyone who hits an unarmed teenage girl with her hands up, with a truncheon for nothing is a monster, as far as he's concerned. While Maggie grapples with him, Toby runs for the rebar, and before he can think better of it, heads for the policeman, rebar poised like a spear, to punch through one of the cop's eyes, and into his brain.

Lash Out 2d6+1 = 10

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 3/5 Conditions: No Manners
He barely hears Jeanine at first, just staring at the corpse, and the blood on his hands. It was easy to do it in the adrenaline and the anger and the heat of the moment, but now that it's done, and the realization that he killed a man comes to him, Toby doesn't know what to do...

Hold Steady, 2d6-1 = 10 I keep my cool and remove the condition 'Drained'

But he can't loving lose it now, or they're all going down for sure. So he does what he can to help, looking more determined than ever. He wonders if his dad ever did anything like this, killed another person to save a friend? He doubts it. Would he hate him for doing this? What makes him any different than a monster - than the monsters he just lectured about not killing?

Nothing, seems to be the answer. Nothing makes him better.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 3/5 Conditions: No Manners
The keys are given, and Toby grunts something that sounds like "I'm sorry," before he leaves Jamie to do her part.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 16, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 4/5 Conditions: No Manners
Right, right... he gently puts his hands on her body, feeling for damage, and yeah, he can't help but notice the skin is soft, bruise aside. His hands may linger a bit longer than they need to, and his touch may feel more like stroking than probing, more concerned with not causing discomfort than serious investigation, before he shakes his head.

"You're good, fine... I mean, like, no broken bones or anything... not that you're not good the other way, I mean..." His mouth is dry, and he shuts it before he can make even more of a fool of himself. Instead, he just looks her in the eye, hoping he can get across what he means better there than when he's babbling.

Turn On Roll 2d6+1 = 12 Taking another string, gonna have to start spending them soon.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Oh yeah, Lizzie, another problem. Once again, he's able to find his voice when they talk about business, and he can think just about that. He removes his hands from Jeanine's body, lifting his own shirt to show the bruises Lizzie gave him - just above a chiseled six-pack.. "Yeah, Cynthia gave me the amnesia story too, but I don't bite it. I was going to talk to her at the party, figure out what's up - if that was like, her trying to send a message, or something." Oh poo poo, that reminds him! "...Something's going to go down at the party. I know it, I saw it, like, lucid vision kinda. We need to be ready for anything, there."

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
"At least two people saw me running from a policeman that was stalking me at a friend's place, probably more. Don't think there's anything you can do to help me there," he chuckles

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 18, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 0/5 Conditions: No Manners
Toby didn't brother to bring his Sunday Best. He expects trouble, and so he's dressed much the same as usual - like he's preparing for a workout, with a blue-and-white coloured tracksuit and a Cardinals T-Shirt combo under a hoodie. Keeps him warm enough, and he doesn't have to worry about possibly getting into a fight in tight pants and dress shirt. He brings a few six-packs of beer in a shopping bag as his contribution to the party, and he's just about got his composure completely back after all the poo poo that's happened today so far...

And then Cynthia hugs him, and talks about the 'misunderstanding', and it all almost fades away again. The rumour's spread that fast? poo poo. No, there's nothing he can do about that, and he can't freak out again, not if something bad's going to go down here tonight. Instead he forces himself to laugh. "Yeah, it was a total misunderstanding. Besides, do I look like I'd hurt a fly?" The pill makes him frown, and he slips it into a pocket. Got to keep his mind clear, and he's not sure how he feels about Cynthia being involved with drugs. To break up the hug, he hands her the bag full of beer. "So... I brought this. Mind taking care of it, and we'll catch up in just a bit?" Without waiting for an answer, he heads off, for a bit of breathing space... and runs almost immediately into Jamie. She had sent a text, but he didn't know it was that urgent.

And honestly, the way she speaks is both impassioned and logical. It just makes sense. He trusts Jeanine, but he doesn't think he trusts her spirits. But at the same time, he trusts Jamie, but he doesn't think he trusts Magdalene. "...I'll think about it," he finally says. "But gotta say, it doesn't sound good when you say she's gonna go on some crazy rampage over something like this. I had a vision too," he quickly glances around to make sure they're not being listened to. "I had a vision, and Vicky died in it. If it's Mags that kills her... would kill her, I don't want to work with something like that. I'll help you, I know you're okay, and I trust you, but... I don't know. I need time to think, before I give this up. Doesn't matter what Jeanine's spirits do, I trust her, too."

But even so, even if he doesn't trust Magdalene, what harm does it do to give her her locket back? Why does she want it so much? Is there some magic in it, some sort of spirit of hers, too? He reaches into his pocket, and withdraws the locket. "I'll give it to you, but I don't want you to give it to her straight away. Not until I figure out what her deal is. And if she does go... you know, violent, I need you to trust me. Can you do that for me?" Jeanine's not going to be happy he gave this up so easily, but... he has to give them a chance. They could have easily ruined him, gone to the police and told them what had happened, after all. With a sigh, he hands the locket over to Jamie.

Taking that XP, which gives me my first Advance! I'll use it to pick up the Chosen move 'Mercy'.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 1/4 Exp 0/5 Conditions: No Manners
Her hug is cold and clammy, and... slimy, or oily, and smells bad. Goddamn, she really is a fish, and it was never so clear as right now. He has to resist the urge to wipe the areas where her skin made contact with his, and desperately tries to think of a way to get out of this gracefully.

Thankfully, Ana saves him, in a way.

"Yeah, it was... complicated - and no, I wasn't going to meet any other person. I swear, though, I'm not gonna make a habit out doing things like that. Cross my heart and hope to die. It's just been a hell of a day, and I'm glad for a break. What've you been doing all day?"

Giving you something he thinks you want.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
When he sees Rebecca, it feels like the blood freezes in his veins. What's she doing here? She's got to have something to do with whatever goes bad tonight, surely... He has to do something, corner her, find out what she wants-

And then there's a tug at his arm, and when he looks, Ana's giving him this look, partway between warning and pleading... but he can't let this go, either. Can't just stand and watch when someone he knows is a killer is flaunting right in his face. He doesn't pull away, but it's pretty obvious to anyone watching that Toby is pissed off at something. He never was any good at keeping a poker face.

Hold Steady 2d6-1 = 3 Marking XP

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 18, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 0/4 Exp 2/5 Conditions: No Manners
And now Liz is here, misunderstanding things, too. He wants to just punch Rebecca, but he can't, and she knows he knows that, all he can do is lean away to avoid her kiss, and growl something like "Yep, party's just fine..."

And then Ana kisses him, and he's too confused to be angry. Confused and a little scared. Where did that come from? But it frees him from Rebecca's attention, so he doesn't protest too much... He owes her one, and she's a good kisser on top of all that! A part of his brain screeches at him that between Vicky, Cynthia, Jeanine and now Ana (and Jamie?) too, he is going to get himself in some serious poo poo if he keeps going on with this, but he doesn't pay it much attention.

Anastaise, take a string on Toby

When the kiss is broken, Rebecca's no longer around, and he gives Ana a hug, and a little squeeze, holding her close enough they can probably feel each others' heartbeats. "Thank you, that was fantastic," he whispers into her ear.

Turnin' Ana on right back 2d6+1 = 8 Marking XP, too

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
She knows about him and Jeanine? That almost makes him panic... until he tells himself to chill the gently caress out, she's only talking about them being an item... are they an item? He doesn't have a loving clue. But he has more important things to worry about than that.

"Jean an' me are just friends," he says as he reaches into his pocket for his phone - it's the diplomatic answer, at least. "'sides, you kinda saved my rear end by doing that. I owe ya one." Checking through his messages, his smile turns to a frown. He has to keep an eye on Rebecca and Liz - for all he knows, Rebecca's going to try and feed on her, and he still doesn't even know what Liz's deal is. But at the same time, if Maggie's about to throw down and chow down on some guy - even if he is a jackass, he needs to be there to try and stop it... or does he?

"...And I'm sorry, I've gotta ask for another favour already. There's a friend I'm worried about, might get into some trouble, but they don't want me keeping an eye on them." He rolls his eyes to indicate that yes, it's that kind of friend. "Could you just... you know, check on them, make sure they're okay, don't do anything stupid?" He points out the restrooms. "It'd be a real help to me if you could just peek 'round and make sure, just for a few seconds. I promise, I'll make it up to you later." Even if Maggie does want to start poo poo, there's no way she'd do it with a bystander watching her, right? He hopes so, but he can't be in two places at once, and Rebecca takes priority.

Spending a string and offering Ana XP if she goes to keep an eye on Maggie.

As soon as he's finished asking that, he heads off in the direction he last saw Elizabeth and Rebecca going... but they're not in sight. poo poo! He closes his eyes, and thinks, prays - maybe he'll get another vision of where to go...

Gaze into the Abyss, trying to guess where Liz and Rebecca went 2d6 = 6

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Can't save anyone... how worthless is he, that he let a killer - a known killer, go off with someone alone because he was too busy kissing another girl? For that loving matter, how worthless is he, that he kissed another girl when he knows Cynthia's into him and this is her party - when he knows Vicky's into him, and he hasn't even apologised to her for ditching her... What a loving joke, he is...

He gets Jamie's text, and rushes over like a bat out of hell. Knocked out. Not dead. But still hurt, he still failed her. Looking at Jamie, he says: "We need to find Rebecca - the girl in the red dress. We need to find her, we need to stop her."

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
It's too visible to fight her, much as he wants to right now - win or lose, it doesn't matter, there's something burning in him to either beat her down, or at least let himself face some punishment for his failures. But even if he can't fight her, he's not going to let her keep going around at this party after what she's done so far. He marches right up to her, face dark, drawn into a snarl. They're still far enough away that he can talk candidly, at least. If she's going to try and show off how powerful she thinks she is, feeding on his classmates when she knows he's there, then she needs to be put in her place with some cold hard threats.

"You need to leave. Now. Before you make me do something I might not even regret." His phone buzzes in his pocket, but he doesn't answer it, whatever it is, it can wait.

Shut Rebecca Down 2d6-1 5

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Story of his week - choices, choices, choices, never any easy ones, and any time he tries to take things easy, things go to poo poo around him. "gently caress her up," he growls at Liz - who hardly seems like she needs any encouraging, but it makes him feel better to vocalize that, and then he heads off. gently caress Rebecca, gently caress this party, gently caress his loving life. As soon as Jeanine's safe, he's going to take whatever drug Cynthia gave him, and get hammered, and maybe then he'll feel better.

But first he has to find her, and whatever trouble Rebecca said she got into... and hope it's not as bad as the loving vampire made it sound; that she was just taunting him, again. He closes his eyes, takes a deep breath, and digs down, into whatever recess of his mind gives him these visions.

Gaze into the Abyss 2d6 = 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
pre:
Toby Ceprien
Harm 0/4 Exp 2/5 Conditions: No Manners
As what Rebecca says registers in his mind, Toby's instincts kick in. If she knows what happened to his dad, what killed him... he has to know. He has to. Even more than making sure Jeanine's okay, even when he knows she's hurt... gently caress, things are so hosed.

"Jamie, I need you to go find Jeanine, she's in trouble, make sure she gets out safe, can you do that for me?" He speaks quickly, almost babbling in his urgency. "Please... Please, I need to do this, but I can't let her be hurt either..." Spending a string to offer Jamie XP to go make sure Jeanine's safe

Taking Rebecca's offered XP, and then Taking The Blow for her

Take The Blow 2d6+1 12

Before she can say yes or not, he rushes in to the path of Elizabeth's fists, not so much concerned with blocking as just getting in between them and Rebecca. He can take some pain, but he can't let Rebecca die, not when she has something so useful to offer him...

• Locked thread