Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
The Game of the Month for December is Deus Ex!

Welcome to the Game of the Month thread, a thread where as a group the people of this forum can play and discuss a specific game each month. This thread is for any and all discussion about the game featured. The current idea is to focus on games that are somewhat older and can be had for cheap, to maximize the amount of people who can participate. In addition to discussion if you want to make videos or post screenshots or something that's cool too.

This is what Wikipedia has to say about Deus Ex:

Wikipedia posted:

Deus Ex is a cyberpunk-themed action-role playing video game—combining first-person shooter, stealth and role-playing elements—developed by Ion Storm and published by Eidos Interactive in 2000. First published for personal computers running Windows, Deus Ex was later ported to Macintosh systems, as well as the PlayStation 2 game console. Set in a dystopian world during the year 2052, the central plot follows rookie United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition agent JC Denton, as he sets out to combat terrorist forces, which have become increasingly prevalent in a world slipping ever further into chaos.

Deus Ex is a very popular game, boasting not only a Game of the Year edition but also featuring on many Best Games of All Time lists. If you are a frequent maker of poor decisions, like myself, then you may not have played this game all the way through. Time to fix that.

You can buy Deus Ex digitally on:

Steam
GOG
GamersGate

Or maybe other places you can find it if you spend like 8 seconds trying.

In the interest of setting some of the tone of discussion, a couple of guidelines. First, however someone wants to play through the game, be it on the hardest difficulty with extra challenge options while drunkenly blindfolded or on easy with cheat codes and a trainer is valid. Don't be lovely because someone enjoyed a game in a manner you don't agree with. Second, any and all discussion is encouraged, so if you think part or all of a game is bad please add to the discussion. Make sure to spoiler tag things because many people may not have played the game before. I shouldn't really need to say this poo poo but just be cool.

For Deus Ex specifically I know it's been mentioned in threads today, and in the past, that the first level is sometimes rough for people to get through. I encourage you to persevere.

If I forgot something/am wrong about something let me know so I can fix it. Also, I know that there are lots of mods for this game so if you know about that I can add them to the OP.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Deus Ex owns. Please buy it and then play it at least once a year like I do. It's what cool people do.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I'm saddened that you didn't go with EYE.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
EYE is rad and there are many months to come, friends.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
This was my first game on Steam (Thanks Pork Lift!) but have only played 40 minutes :negative:.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Is this just Deus Ex? Or the series as a whole.

Because if it's the series as a whole, I'd be willing to throw down and write up an effortpost why people should give Invisible War a second chance.

May 8, 2006

I was just thinking of focusing on the first game for now as far as encouraging people to play, but I'm not going to turn down thoughtful posting. At the very least it could be for people who want to continue the series if they enjoyed the first game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Rookersh posted:

Is this just Deus Ex? Or the series as a whole.

Because if it's the series as a whole, I'd be willing to throw down and write up an effortpost why people should give Invisible War a second chance.

Sorry I've already claimed Invisible War for the Bad Thread :hehe:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Contest Winner posted:

I was just thinking of focusing on the first game for now as far as encouraging people to play, but I'm not going to turn down thoughtful posting. At the very least it could be for people who want to continue the series if they enjoyed the first game.

I'll write something up near the end of the month then, give people something to think about presumably after they've beaten Deus Ex.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Tell me the story of Deus Ex.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOZElhBem6Y

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
What's the name of the mod that tweaks the gameplay, rewards and what not? But actually does a good job with it?

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

What's the name of the mod that tweaks the gameplay, rewards and what not? But actually does a good job with it?

You're probably thinking of the Shifter mod.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Pound_Coin posted:

I'm saddened that you didn't go with EYE.

Play Deus Ex first so you can appreciate how well EYE's designers applied its lessons. Also play Bloodlines for the same reason.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I've always played Deus Ex as a gunslinger type guy with skills in electronics/lockpicking and doing whatever I thought a generic "good guy JC" would do in any given situation. Can anyone recommend any other way to play that might be more interesting? I'm not necessarily looking for a big challenge, just wondering how other people play.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Adam Bowen posted:

I've always played Deus Ex as a gunslinger type guy with skills in electronics/lockpicking and doing whatever I thought a generic "good guy JC" would do in any given situation. Can anyone recommend any other way to play that might be more interesting? I'm not necessarily looking for a big challenge, just wondering how other people play.

Don't be your pussy brother Paul! You're a loose cannon cop that gets RESULTS!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

That leaves out too many details.

I always found this video gave a better picture of the whole story.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

I do the same thing every time I replay DX. When I played DX:HR though I was a much more aggressive, murderous rear end in a top hat and it was a ton of fun. I think when I play DX this month I'm going to try guns blazing/heavy weapons/tech moron/complete dick mode.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I always felt like Invisible War was one of those games where I barely remember it but I remember everyone saying they hated it, which means that it'll inevitably turn out to be a misunderstood gem, right?

Right??

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rei_ posted:

I always felt like Invisible War was one of those games where I barely remember it but I remember everyone saying they hated it, which means that it'll inevitably turn out to be a misunderstood gem, right?

Right??

A diamond in the rough, perhaps. I really like it and find it a lot more playable than Deus Ex, but it's far from perfect. I do think most of the criticism of it comes down to the fact that it's a sequel to Deus Ex though, which set up a lot of expectations that it couldn't live up to, especially with the rose-tinted glasses people seem to see the original through.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tiggum posted:

A diamond in the rough, perhaps. I really like it and find it a lot more playable than Deus Ex, but it's far from perfect. I do think most of the criticism of it comes down to the fact that it's a sequel to Deus Ex though, which set up a lot of expectations that it couldn't live up to, especially with the rose-tinted glasses people seem to see the original through.

No, people hate it because it's kinda crap.

The load times and tiny levels alone would make it worlds worse, and the plot does a good job of killing any interest you might still have by destroying any incentive to care about anything in the narrative. The health balance is awful (in Deus Ex on realistic, getting shot with a pistol hurts like hell. In Invisible War, even on realistic it barely dings your health meter), the universal ammo system shits all over everything from exploration incentives to weapon balance, the biomod setup is incoherent and lets you max out less than half way into the game while heavily penalizing experimentation...

It's a Bad Game.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I liked it better than Project: Snowblind at least. There are some interesting plot things it does and it's not afraid to make you feel "utopian miserable". It's also much better if you limit yourself; going through the game just punching people and robots is 100% possible which greatly improves it in my mind. If it didn't have that weird level executable thingy/small levels and the weird core affinity thing (which you try to get around at least, and there is a small graphical mod) I'd probably give it another point. But, really, if you need a consolized Deus Ex there's Human Revolution v:shobon:v Oh, also the music isn't as good, too, because they tried to do some weird environmental thing which didn't work out. There is some real-life industrial, though :lol:

I know somebody that preordered it, and it was one of the only games they got mad enough at to ever try to return (and this time, successfully! Probably because of all the technical problems). We even found the pre-order shirt of it as they were moving!

Look at that beauty! :swoon:

Phlogistic posted:

You're probably thinking of the Shifter mod.
There's actually quite a few improvement mods, wonder what the Dicenttenial thread recommends now? I know Biomod (done by a goon if I remember correctly) is built on top of Shifter and has some quality of life improvements (but makes it easier), but there's also ones I've never tried like GMDX (popularized in the Eidos/Square forums) and even a couple multiplayer ones (Google it). I'm a couple years unfamiliar with this stuff and planned to look this up before the next one came out so my information might not be that accurate. I also know that there is a big mod coming out relatively soon that they showed off that became somewhat popular because of coverage by PC Gamer (it keeps getting pushed back but last I heard this month was "within 10 weeks").

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

The load times and tiny levels alone would make it worlds worse
I understand these complaints, but they never bothered me.

chiasaur11 posted:

the plot does a good job of killing any interest you might still have by destroying any incentive to care about anything in the narrative.
This though, I just don't get. The plot of all the Deus Ex games is terrible. They're just ridiculously absurd and take themselves so seriously. If you're playing these games for the plot, I just don't understand where you're coming from.

chiasaur11 posted:

The health balance is awful (in Deus Ex on realistic, getting shot with a pistol hurts like hell. In Invisible War, even on realistic it barely dings your health meter)
Another thing I understand but disagree with. I don't like games that are hard. I died a few times in Invisible War, but not enough to make me stop playing. I know that some people like games that really make you work, but IW hit the right difficulty level for me to not be too frustrating but still not let me just play it on autopilot.

chiasaur11 posted:

the universal ammo system shits all over everything from exploration incentives to weapon balance
This is my biggest disagreement with people over IW. I love universal ammo. It lets you use the guns you like and ignore the guns you don't and you never end up breaking into some locked or hard to find cache to find some ammo you don't want or can't use. Universal ammo is brilliant.

chiasaur11 posted:

the biomod setup is incoherent and lets you max out less than half way into the game while heavily penalizing experimentation...
I don't even know how what you're saying could be possible here. IW lets you max out your mods and then totally switch them out for others so you get the chance to play with different options. It's fantastic. It lets you play with your fully maxed augs from quite early in the game and then lets you change your mind and play with something else. It's one of my favourite things about the game.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I tried to play Deus Ex once and gave up on it because the first level pissed me off. I've always wanted to play it so this seems like a good time to give it a shot. I just picked it up on Gamersgate (on sale for $1.75 for 20 more hours) and I'm playing it on my Mac with this wine wrapper, which seems to be working perfectly so far.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Tiggum posted:

This is my biggest disagreement with people over IW. I love universal ammo. It lets you use the guns you like and ignore the guns you don't and you never end up breaking into some locked or hard to find cache to find some ammo you don't want or can't use. Universal ammo is brilliant.

You know what, it just occurred to me that Invisible War and Mass Effect 2 have the same ammo system, yet for some reason people hate it in IW and love it in ME.

I'm one of those people, but I realize I can't really explain why. Something about the ammo system in IW "felt" wrong. Weird balance, maybe? It's been awhile but I remember feeling like several of my weapons weren't worth using.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Third World Reggin posted:

A bunch of pretentious old men, playing at running the world.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Zombie Samurai posted:

You know what, it just occurred to me that Invisible War and Mass Effect 2 have the same ammo system, yet for some reason people hate it in IW and love it in ME.

I could be misremembering, but didn't ME2 let you carry ammo separately for different weapons? Everything refilled from the same generic thermal clips, but you could use up all your sniper ammo, then switch to your pistol and still have pistol ammo. In Invisible War, you just had one pool of ammo. If you used it all up with a sniper rifle, you couldn't switch to a pistol as a backup weapon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AtrociousToaster posted:

I tried to play Deus Ex once and gave up on it because the first level pissed me off. I've always wanted to play it so this seems like a good time to give it a shot. I just picked it up on Gamersgate (on sale for $1.75 for 20 more hours) and I'm playing it on my Mac with this wine wrapper, which seems to be working perfectly so far.

I played it for the first time a year or two ago and the first level was a big stumbling block for me as well. On the one hand it's a great introduction to Deus Ex level design and problem solving because you have multiple routes to accomplish your mission, but on the other hand it's a bad example because you don't have any of the augments, upgrades, or weapons that really make the game fun and let you tackle problems in creative ways. You'll appreciate it more on second-Xth runs of the game, which you should do because for as much choice as the game gives you, I also thought it was good for moments where your actions become your choices (and not actions like "I clicked this dialogue option instead of the other one".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'm one of those people, but I realize I can't really explain why. Something about the ammo system in IW "felt" wrong. Weird balance, maybe? It's been awhile but I remember feeling like several of my weapons weren't worth using.

ME's universal ammo isn't shared among weapons. You just get ammo for everything at the same time. That is also why IW's system is lovely. If you use up all your rocket ammo you also don't have pistol ammo and so-on. It is one of the worst ammo systems of all time.

Universal Ammo is a terrible idea the way IW does it because you're basically putting all your eggs into a single basket. A single poorly-balanced basket. I mean IW is so easy that you can just throw poo poo at people to kill them but it's still a terrible design.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 11, 2014

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
The only real video you need to know about the original Deus Ex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ltjmjSa2GE

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I understand these complaints, but they never bothered me.

It's still a massive objective flaw. The game loving reboots itself every level transition! That's Sonic '06 levels of lovely programming.

Tiggum posted:

This though, I just don't get. The plot of all the Deus Ex games is terrible. They're just ridiculously absurd and take themselves so seriously. If you're playing these games for the plot, I just don't understand where you're coming from.

It's not that the plot is bad (although the writing in Invisible War is much worse), it's that the game continually undermines any attempt at emotional investment. Every time you can have a motive for something beyond "Getting paid", the game makes an effort to remind you that everyone is an rear end in a top hat and planning to stab you in the back. I mean, you can be a loyal Illuminati goon all game, and their idea of motivating you is still kidnapping one of your (supposed) friends and threatening her unless you do as they say. Now, if the game was going for a whole "Chaos is a ladder" thing, that would be fine. But it's not. It keeps offering quests where the only reward is the warm fuzzies and doesn't offer an ending where you stand at the top and just stomp on everyone else's fingers.

Tiggum posted:

Another thing I understand but disagree with. I don't like games that are hard. I died a few times in Invisible War, but not enough to make me stop playing. I know that some people like games that really make you work, but IW hit the right difficulty level for me to not be too frustrating but still not let me just play it on autopilot.

The problem isn't the difficulty. The problem is that sniper rifles do a whole health bar's worth of damage and pistols barely ping it. Enemies shooting at you are either irrelevant or hot bullshit about to kill you with very little middle ground, which doesn't make for fun encounter design. And the damage you deal is bad too. You don't one hit kill children when you hit them with the dragon's tooth. Where Deus Ex 1 and Human Revolution both rewarded your planning with quick takedowns, Invisible War has everything sponge up damage.

Tiggum posted:

No, it means that you can't mix up weapon use, and that no ammo rewards will ever be interesting. Other people covered it already more thoroughly than I will, but anything that cuts off backup weapons is a pretty bad idea.

Tiggum posted:

I don't even know how what you're saying could be possible here. IW lets you max out your mods and then totally switch them out for others so you get the chance to play with different options. It's fantastic. It lets you play with your fully maxed augs from quite early in the game and then lets you change your mind and play with something else. It's one of my favourite things about the game.

What I'm saying is that every time you dropped a mod, you lost all the resources invested in it. If you knew what you wanted at the start, then you were done with new abilities and advancements halfway through the game. If you didn't, every time you switched something out, it was at the cost of all the aug canisters you'd used on it with no refunds or exchanges. Which, considering you have no idea how many canisters you're getting the first time through (and if you were basing your estimates on the first game, you'd think you'd barely get enough to max everything if you found every single upgrade) discourages experimentation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

It's still a massive objective flaw. The game loving reboots itself every level transition! That's Sonic '06 levels of lovely programming.
Yeah, like I said, I understand the complaint. It just didn't bother me personally.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's not that the plot is bad (although the writing in Invisible War is much worse), it's that the game continually undermines any attempt at emotional investment. Every time you can have a motive for something beyond "Getting paid", the game makes an effort to remind you that everyone is an rear end in a top hat and planning to stab you in the back. I mean, you can be a loyal Illuminati goon all game, and their idea of motivating you is still kidnapping one of your (supposed) friends and threatening her unless you do as they say. Now, if the game was going for a whole "Chaos is a ladder" thing, that would be fine. But it's not. It keeps offering quests where the only reward is the warm fuzzies and doesn't offer an ending where you stand at the top and just stomp on everyone else's fingers.
Sure it does. The kill everyone, Omar win ending. And everyone being arseholes is kind of the point. :shrug:

chiasaur11 posted:

The problem isn't the difficulty. The problem is that sniper rifles do a whole health bar's worth of damage and pistols barely ping it. Enemies shooting at you are either irrelevant or hot bullshit about to kill you with very little middle ground, which doesn't make for fun encounter design. And the damage you deal is bad too. You don't one hit kill children when you hit them with the dragon's tooth. Where Deus Ex 1 and Human Revolution both rewarded your planning with quick takedowns, Invisible War has everything sponge up damage.
I don't see how that's a problem. I get that you might prefer it the other way, but it's not objectively better.

chiasaur11 posted:

No, it means that you can't mix up weapon use
It means exactly the opposite of that! Whatever weapon you want to use, you have ammo for it because it's all the same ammo.

chiasaur11 posted:

What I'm saying is that every time you dropped a mod, you lost all the resources invested in it.
So it's a good thing there's tons of upgrades then, isn't it?

chiasaur11 posted:

If you knew what you wanted at the start, then you were done with new abilities and advancements halfway through the game. If you didn't, every time you switched something out, it was at the cost of all the aug canisters you'd used on it with no refunds or exchanges. Which, considering you have no idea how many canisters you're getting the first time through (and if you were basing your estimates on the first game, you'd think you'd barely get enough to max everything if you found every single upgrade) discourages experimentation.
You might start out assuming that you're not going to get enough upgrade canisters, but it becomes pretty obvious as you play that you're getting plenty.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQPot3YW9Ds

Dreams are like water...

Colorless...

Dangerous...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tiggum posted:

It means exactly the opposite of that! Whatever weapon you want to use, you have ammo for it because it's all the same ammo.

Unless you want to use more than one weapon because using up your sniper rifle ammo also uses up your pistol ammo, your rocket ammo, and so-on. It also means that if you run out of ammo you have no backups.

Like, i'm sorry dude, but even the developers of IW admitted that Universal Ammo was a bad idea. It is one of the few examples of straight-up objective bad game design. Even if you want to always have ammo for your favorite weapons something like the ME2 system is a much better way to handle it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 11, 2014

NinjaPablo
Nov 20, 2003

Ewww it's all sticky...
Grimey Drawer
Never got around to playing any of the Deus Ex series. What the heck, gonna give it a shot.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Tiggum posted:

It's fine that you don't like games which are hard, that's why there are multiple difficulty levels. The problem is that none of those difficulty levels provide an enjoyable experience for people who do like hard games.

Tiggum posted:

In Deus Ex, I could save my rocket ammo for hard enemies, use it, and still have my pistol to take out the softer targets.
In Invisible War, I use my rocket launcher on the big robot, and then I have about half a clip of pistol rounds left to fight the remaining enemies. Moreover, the detailed balancing of it is poor as well, because the more damaging weapons are significantly less efficient in terms of damage per ammo unit, which disincentivises their use even on hard targets.

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, but if you decide on what you want reasonably quickly, then the aug upgrade system ceases to be a gameplay element about a quarter of the way into the game. And that's before we even touch on the sheer obnoxiousness of having the whole separate 'Black Market' upgrade canisters.

And separately...

I want to take a moment to complain especially about Invisible War's most heinous crime in control design, the computer interface and hacking.

So, unlike in the original you can only hack with a specific augmentation. When you do so, it brings up an (ugly) computer interface on your screen with buttons to interact with. So, you move your mouse to click on the button... WHOOPS! Sorry, that made you LOOK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER, which ends your hack. You want to access it again? HOPE YOU'VE GOT MORE ENERGY! How should you interface with the computer, you ask? NAVIGATE THE BUTTONS WITH WASD! :thumbsup:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I played the game going around killing every enemy.

I felt like I was doing it wrong, but the game didn't punish me for it. Sneaking/nonlethal was a choice, sure, but... why bother?

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I've never played Deus Ex, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I got the game of the year edition running, and the first mission glitched and I died. The taser wouldn't activate. I thought I made a mistake, so I reloaded, got two of all the starting gear for that mission somehow, and neither taser worked. Is this game always this fabulously glitchy? Because if its just a bad run of luck, I'll start a fresh dude, but if this is the game, I'm going to cheat myself into working weapons or something.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Beast Pussy posted:

I've never played Deus Ex, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I got the game of the year edition running, and the first mission glitched and I died. The taser wouldn't activate. I thought I made a mistake, so I reloaded, got two of all the starting gear for that mission somehow, and neither taser worked. Is this game always this fabulously glitchy? Because if its just a bad run of luck, I'll start a fresh dude, but if this is the game, I'm going to cheat myself into working weapons or something.

It's almost never glitchy at all.

Just checking: you're aware that the Stun Prod is a melee weapon, not a ranged one?
And that it requires ammo? Because that caught me out the first time I played too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The prod is melee so you have to get really close to them, but it remains useful throughout the whole game. You just have to stick to the prod, it's not tough to learn.

• Locked thread