Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

I know this is an old post now but it just reminded me of a guy I saw suicide farming back in the old days. He would show up in game in a six flamer Jenner, fire continuously until he exploded, type "FREE PALESTINE" in chat and then quit out.

Sonshi's Art of War has some vague, but interesting things to say with regards to this. It's a pretty short read, I highly recommend it.

Paramemetic posted:

ModPud particularly has mastered harassment, he plucks components and fucks dudes up once the battle has started while people are paying attention to other things.

She

Also don't capitalise just a part of my name, its insanely rude and incredibly hosed up. capitalise all of it or none of it

Also also all the cool people in the fighting cocks should probably just merge with KDR to form the Kaetatoa Democratic Republic, between the two of us we'll probably be able to throw together a whole 13 or 14 people(WoW wHoA!!!)

alternate name, come up with by greatest mechwarrior online commander Autsj: Kill Death Cocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Also all the builds in the OP that I looked at sucked, you should probably have someone competent managing it

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Wow, caress you gently MODPUD.

Please don't cuss

OB_Juan posted:

I nominate you. Hook me up with some builds, and I will add/replace. Thanks!

No

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Ferengi rule of acquisition #357: don't build shame

Normally I don't poo poo on other people's mechs but if they're in a resource that's supposed to be for new people(or if they have lrms) I'm going to have to speak up and say something. It won't necessarily be constructive though, because the last time I went constructive and gave someone an alternative build they used it for like an hour, complained about how bad it was, and then went back to using lrms and contributing next to nothing every round

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

You can consider my line of thinking to be the result of years of untreated robot PTSD if it makes you feel any better(about me)

edit: well now you've all successfully shamed me into taking a look at those builds and maybe coming up with alternatives. gently caress this thread

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Here's a better atlas DDC build, the Ghost Dad Mk. LXIX (thats mk. 69, for those of you who, like me, cant read roman numerals without googling them)

Scrap that loving LRM boat awesome. Remove it from the OP entirely. Remove awesomes from the OP entirely, unless someone has some piece of poo poo PPC thing they want to share.

Also remove catapults from the OP entirely. Pretend they now longer exist. Especially the ones that use LRMs. You could keep a gaussapult around for old times' sake, but be sure to mention that it's an ancient relic and not worth using over a gauss jagermech(I think the jagermech S is the best mech for dual gauss now?)

That thunderbolt build has AMS and a really stupid armour spread so here's a better one: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=115&l=be47274a5c14456e3896779ee9cea1863d0df921

Centurion build is probably fine(for a bad IS brawler), if underarmoured, and the front/rear armour spreads suck, but i d g a f

The firestarter build is completely terrible. AMS and a lower-than-maximum-rating engine? Get that poo poo out of here. Throw this thing in there instead http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=140&l=d88cdf6fbcff2bf31af9d9e7eb6bb6d20d7e1055 maybe this thing too if you think the 8SPL build is worthwhile(it's really not): http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=139&l=bf5640cada574d5b4d7848f0ffa28b7ae1773a17

Raven build is also bad, I told DonVincenzo to use something like this and he has had some decent success with it as far as I know. I don't really care about ravens enough to buy one again and try it out, but any sort of close range fit(especially one that uses missiles) is going to be god awful against any sort of competent opposition

Here's some clan mech builds that I mostly use(the timber wolf one is not actually the ~~~most optimal one~~~ but whatever)

timber wolf

stormcrow

dire wolf

Oh and here's a shadow hawk I guess http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=154&l=21defca531e335e5f69c4efeb09bf8f394b40a7f

I have a lot more builds laying around that I could probably post but at that point you may as well use some stupid loving goon wiki or whatever(like KDR's google drive, which only the most elite and autistic mechwarriors have access to)

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

The best king crab builds are probably assymetrical things that use an AC/20 and then some missiles or some PPCs/large lasers, combined with a giant standard engine. They're basically atlas/hero stalker builds except on a worse chassis for most things(sure looks cool though)

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

I'm sorry, can I still cite you as a cool dude MODPUD or do you prefer dudette? What are your dude-nouns? :v:

I would rather not be associated with the entirety of dudedom

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Baudin posted:

Why three gauss on that direwolf instead of two erppc/two gauss?

ERPPCs are bad, gauss rifles are amazing, clan lasers are amazing. Alternate good builds are 2 gauss/4 ERLL, and 2 gauss/3LPL(only properly doable on the dire wolf b)

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

TBK I love you and all but you need to get that stupid designed-by-committee bracket build bullshit out of here

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I found the new OP bullshit light

No skills, no modules, no gods, no masters

This was with me immediately crashing out before coming back a third of the way through the match. What a loving metal baby

I hope someday they bring the Jenner F up to par, I miss my racecar

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

kingcom posted:

What do you mean new? Firestarters have always been top dog light.

The FS9-S gained -30% MPL heat gen this patch.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

kingcom posted:

Yea so now its even bettter?

Now it's even better than the FS9-H was

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Also I've adopted a teamkill-on-sight policy for goons running lrmboats. just an fyi. Get better or I'll make you get better

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Seriously though when your win rate is lower playing with goon pug groups than it is with 1-2 friends and a bunch of random groups(that pretty consistently get put against 10 or 12 person groups) something is seriously hosed

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

Is this a matter of LRMs actually being crap, or just a distaste for them? Or both?

Even in the short amount of time I played ages ago, I remember LRMs whipsawing back and forth between deadly and poo poo several times.

They're bad, and the worst part is that they're not quite bad enough for people to realise they're not even remotely worth taking over lasers(the god weapon at this point of the game) and/or whatever dumb gimmicky ballistic poo poo(gauss rifles excepted, which are as good as ever)

e: People also play them in incredibly boring, passive ways, and they're actively harmful as far as becoming less of a lovely player goes. When I did a stupid lrmboat to get my stalker basics way back in the day, I at least pushed and spotted/tagged targets for myself instead of whining about people not giving me locks while hiding behind a hill

e2:

Tujague posted:

but you can depend on any random pug to have two or three LRMboats in them so I think genghis ferngi is saying that badass goon drops should leave them for the pubbies and instead should fill other vital roles

They're actually actively harmful and in the group queue I see goons using pure lrmboats more than the pubbie groups I fight alongside/against

Solo queue is a different story. A much better story. A world dominated by a single tyrannical metal toddler armed with greenbeams of doom

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 11, 2014

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

The stormcrow is one of the worst possible things you could put LRMs on honestly. Go big or go home(please just go home)

I just killed a pair of king crabs and a gargoyle as a one legged firestarter

One tried to run away. He did not make it

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=138&l=7237e1ce70ca5955cae8b6087e56013055e9925d

I feel like I'm cheating

Kazvall posted:

The narc module coupled with good spotting and communication wrecks poo poo. The lesson here is don't try an advanced strategy if your TEAM can't pull it off.

e: or doesn't want to pull it off

Gonna be honest "lrms i guess??" is probably not really an advanced strategy

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Kazvall posted:

nah, kiting out specific mechs for symbiotic roles, requiring an active spotter, good positioning, and communication doesn't seem advanced at all

not only does narc cancel the ecm on whatever target it hits, it lasts an ungodly long time and allows focused damage on a target through lrms without line of sight

have you not encountered a well played/balanced lrm team, gotten narced, and game over?

Once where we actually lost(out of 4 or 5 10/12 person groups that I've seen running narc and some LRMs), but they won because they also knew how/when to push and flank and direct fire(hint: at every opportunity) especially after we murdered their narcs and other spotters

the wub israel

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

The most boring fight I've ever been in, my fps dropped to like 15-20 after the first few minutes and it was all downhill from there

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

TeeMerk posted:

literally no goods on either team modpod good to see you are throwing your hat in with the furries tho

To be fair if I had posted a screenshot of a group queue match(solo/group aren't actually split with clan warfare stuff though, it's just that most of the groups right now are 12s, although you can see a pair of 2s in that screenshot) with the enemy team being a bunch of dead word of lowtax people there still wouldn't have been any goods unless perdu made a secret surprise return to mechwarrior online and decided to rejoin the group that banned him years and years ago

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

These are some really terrible mechs

inner sphere mechs op, pgi please nerf

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Clan Ghost Heat

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Iron Tusk posted:

There's three Mary Sue Davion groups that are legit good right now. 228, -MS-, and KFC.

DCM Zeus is back and his group will probably be better than your average bland Davion as well.

If you play -MS- make sure you have all your leg armor.

228 has never been davion and probably never will be, MS and KFC are completely terrible

Hope this help's

Also carrying/wiping out the head hunters of davion is a time honoured KDR tradition, I have yet to see any of them do more than 250 damage outside of CW(where I saw one do like 400 damage once)

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

various cheeses posted:

I like the 2X better than the 3L as of late. Max engine, 3ML, 1LPL. Cooldown modules for both. It's a fantastic peek sniper.

So so bad

CW is really unfun most of the time but crushing big clan groups that are supposed to be hot poo poo or something is pretty okay

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

aniviron posted:

I will vouch for VC's build. I run http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=34&l=6fb609666b7874463152621954b8550136667e21 and it's probably my favourite light at the moment. Better than the JR7-F. I don't really snipe with it like he does though, I run it more as a harasser, and it is servicable but not amazing against other lights.

It doesn't do huge damage numbers (pretty rare for me to break 1k in pubs with it) but it racks up kills like crazy. It runs cool, the mech is very agile, and the lasers have a very quick burn time, all of which adds up to being able to put the damage exactly where you want it reliably.

No trolling in the thread, please.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

This just in: the weirdo christian marik group "Seraphim" does not allow its members to use firebrands or hellbringers because they have the signs of the devil on them o something

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/183524-dear-marik-friend/

I've officially become a diplomat of the 228th IBR

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

I can't believe that ceasefires are a real thing in CW, like, who cares. It's space robots, fight everyone, the map literally doesn't even matter

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

If you're focussed on making distinct, separate pushes to take out specific generator bits while losing all your team's mechs, you're playing CW wrong. Hope this help's

Livers posted:

How to get into Cocks?

Join #fightingcocks on synirc, they tend to play on KDR's mumble (mumble.kdrsquad.com)

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

It's not the best method but it's the one we've had success with in the past and until I have time to play and a squad of olds and goods to work with anything else will be theorycrafting.

Honestly I think a good unit composition with good discipline should be able to crush it out in a single push, maybe a second push if necessary, but thus far we haven't developed this. Just like the art of firing lines and formation movement are lostech from the Before Times, so too is unit composition.

I'd ask KDR squad to send us some military advisors to teach us robots again but I think there's significant differences between clan and IS robot tactics.

What are you guys seeing on the Steiner front that actually works?

KDR squad is dead, and also was only clans for a super short period of time, but it works the same way for both sides. Click robots, don't die, win game 48-6 as IS attackers against a 12 person clan group on boreal

It helps when you don't use LRMs or other awful builds (seriously some of those robots phorashi posted, lol)

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

axelsoar posted:

Care to share some builds? I always seem to do stupidly well with robots you use.

I probably don't use anything that lots of other people don't already use, it's what I don't use that makes me look really good compared to other people

So instead I'll just point out the bad builds that I actually feel like writing about from that(tbqh) mostly bad not great post

this gauss king crab: king crabs are terrible platforms for peek/poke weapons if you have a big ballistic in each arm. if youre running a sniper build that isn't assymetrical or at least all torso guns your build is pretty bad

this ac/20 LL king crab: it runs stupidly hot and large lasers kinda suck for that torso mount. bad robot

If I absolutely had to run a king crab for some reason I'd probably use something like this. It's literally just my misery build stuck on a king crab, except a little slower and with more armour/heat sinks and terrible hitboxes. It probably sucks, the king crab is not very good

this dumb banshee: awful. just awful. I'd run a smaller engine and stick a pair of large lasers on it with a decent amount of heat sinks, and use it as a skirmisher type deal I guess. I have one but I've never actually used it, I basic'd out my other banshees with unupgraded single heat sink laser builds and have had no will to try it out since.

this stupid loving ac/2 ac/20 atlas: I'm not even sure what to say about this thing. I have no idea how anyone thought it was a good mech to bring to anything. I don't see myself ever bringing an assault of any kind other than a stalker into CW so I'm not going to give any suggestions for a replacement build. Just don't run this stupid, awful piece of garbage. This is arguably a worse mech than my old triple MG dragon from back when dragons and MGs were terrible

3erppc thunderbolt: This thing is weird to me because it leaves 6 slots open while mounting a 275 engine and has 2/3 of the PPCs in the absolute worst spots they could be put in, but whatever

my old 3d build: As the person who originally made this thing, it's completely terrible now and taking out the jump jets for AMS makes it even worse. if PPCs were still only 7 or 8 heat apiece to fire and had the crazy velocity they used to and if gauss charge didn't exist it would still probably be the best mech in the game though

weird ac/10 medium laser firebrand: please don't use this

I'm also not sure why there's an ac/20 jagermech listed but not a gauss jager, the one jagermech that could actually be useful

completely irredeemably awful 5 lrm5 kintaro: please. you're breaking my heart

2 ac5/srm16 shadowhawk(????): Please don't run weird dumb awkward bracket builds

It's really strange to me that garbage like ac/20 hunchbacks and lbx/ssrm centurions were listed but not the previously-perfect-but-maybe-worthwhile-again 3LL centurion AL (which I'll even throw together for you out of the goodness of my heart: here)

That ECM cicada made me lose my will to go on to the lights so I'll just post this all as it is, leaving my works unfinished

Plek posted:

Winning (or losing in style) with awful builds it the pinnacle of mechwarrior and gently caress anyone who says otherwise.

From what I can tell it's not really winning or losing in style, it's just an embarassing gross awful mess full of pubbiegoons bringing lrm boats, whining about not getting locks, and then panicking and shouting in mumble when a light finally tracks them down

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

This thread and some of the WoL groups I've played with seem to have a reoccuring theme that is really annoying.

"hey guys lets be laid back do whatever you want - STOP loving BEING TERRIBLE gently caress *ragequit*"

"hey guys we could talk about good builds but lets just call out bad builds instead"

Pointing someone in the right direction and explaining why is a lot more constructive than pretending not to care and then posting wall of texts / rage-quiting.

I gave various people good builds but they decided to run lrm boats and whatever other garbage over them, and I'm not even in wol, so

I've been past the point of caring for almost 2 years but I'll never be past the point of telling people that they're bad and their robots are bad

The 2 year anniversary of me murdering garth(rip in peace, my friend) and the awful ngng guys was almost a week ago though, never forget

e: also sometimes I like to help people, like axelsoar, because they don't seem to be quite as awful as all the other people who post in this thread

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Jimbosaurus posted:

Haha, how terrible.

If you really don't think an ac/20 and 2 ppcs is fantastic short-midrange peek and poke firepower then you probably can't be saved

Or if you think that something having 2 weapons with short-mediocre range(and very close velocities, which is pretty important) makes it a bracket build, that's a pretty big sin too

axelsoar posted:

"Not quite as awful" is the nicest thing anyone has said about me all day!

Also, please tell me what I am doing wrong with this Firestarter, I have a feeling I hosed it up.

Axel's bad FS9

You really need all your lasers in the arms, the firestarter can't look up very far without them. This is what mine looks like right now (I'm not sure about the armour spreads, it's just whatever I put on the KDR drive whenever the last patch hit, but I did squeeze through a CW match earlier at 23% health with an arm missing and 2 deep red side torsos so I might be a tad light on the front armour)

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=138&l=7237e1ce70ca5955cae8b6087e56013055e9925d

Someday I'm going to die more than once in a CW match and I'll cry

e:

Random Number posted:

I'm just trying to get everyone on the same page instead of running modpud/warlocke certified builds that work best when the enemy doesn't know you exist.

Considering how many matches end with me at 20-30% health and missing a torso I'd say that people tend to know that I exist, especially when I'm sitting out on a ridge out trading clan idiots at whatever range

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 22, 2014

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/183524-dear-marik-friend/page__st__60__gopid__4039340#entry4039340

I'm post

It's really funny to me that captain rufus has joined a something awful video game group, despite the whole goon hatred for bronies/ponygoons/whatever they call themselves these days

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Thronde posted:

hey look, let's drudge up some old bullshit from the last thread! SA2014: Shitposting and Drama Importing are A-OKAY.

This isn't actually from any previous mechwarrior online thread though?? This is actually the first time I've actually interacted with rufus personally, I just recognised his name and after a quick google(http://ponygoons.tumblr.com/) remembered who he is

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Lemming posted:

I think it's wrong to judge somebody for liking something as cute as My Little Pony. I think if Captain Toad met Pinkie Pie, then they would be friends.

I'm totally okay with people liking my little pony but I'm not a big fan of "brony culture" or whatever

I know a heck of a lot about rufus because he had been banned from an internet relay chat channel a few days before I joined it, and I ended up joining in the middle of a conversation about him and what an awful person he is, punctuated by a picture of him. It's hard to forget a thing like that

What I'm saying is that the internet loving owns. It's good as hell

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Once you doxx you just can't stop!

Figures we'd see this kind of behavior from a terrible Dominions modder.

Not only a dominions modder but a dominions lets play superstar, which I'm sure we can all agree is far far worse

Someone told me that there are word of lowtax people who don't think I'm actually very good, that I just cherrypick solo queue screenshots or something, so here's my stats for every mech that I've driven around for more than an hour(because I'm incredibly insecure)

The only things that I've solo queued in for more than a round or two are the timber wolves, dire wolves(although I haven't solo queued a whole lot in either wolf, they're just what I mostly played when I had just gotten back into the game and had some serious teething problems), and firestarters(which I still haven't solo queued in very often, because playing this game by yourself is not very fun). Everything else is group queue, mostly with 1-3 KDR friends(although I did take part in a 12 person group that rolled steel jaguars 3 matches in a row last night, not that I did particularly well in them because they made me drive a thunderbolt 5ss instead of a mech that is more my style)

It's really messed up that CW stats aren't tracked, my thunderbolt 9S murdersprees have been completely absurd. CW is maybe the dumbest loving thing(and also not very fun outside of the making-people-mad-about-colours-on-a-map-that-don't-even-matter meta)

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Captain Rufus posted:

What IRC? Illuminate me oh massive loather of LRMs to a level even the biggest autists don't have. :precious:

Nice to know even mocking your LRM rage causes enormous butthurt in you to the point you have to look up nearly 4 year old IRC logs some other tryhard good wasted their time hunting down.

If that is what friendly (ish) ribbing causes you to do I can only imagine what actual mean spirited stuff would cause out of you. Let's not take Internet Grindy Robots so seriously ok?

I literally just googled "ponygoons tumblr", and then clicked the link and scrolled down a little. You make it seem like a really high effort thing, I was pretty sure it was you because I remember checking up on this in a previous thread

teepo posted:

oh look, stats for a bunch of meta mechs you rarely solo dropped in

bravo

I'm glad that if I'm solo dropping I'm cheating my stats because it's easy to do well in the solo queue, but if I'm playing in group queue I'm still cheating, because I have friends to play with who aren't completely incompetent like people in the word of lowtax

I'm also glad that the thunderbolt 9s is a "meta mech", when I'm one of the people who made the meta

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

axelsoar posted:

It is really weird to heat goons talking about meta mechs considering back in the day we were the ones that made the mechs everyone else used, from the gaussapult to the menturian.

This really isn't true though, gaussapult and menturion especially weren't mechs that originated in the word of lowtax, although people probably pretend that's the case these days because the word of lowtax has always been pretty isolated from the rest of the MWO community(for better and worse)

Garbage like the large laser atlas DDCs and lawesomes though, sure, probably

But yeah it's Good Stuff, especially for a group that(used to at least) pride itself in running optimal builds and being so above the brown sea

teepo posted:

go cry moar

I'm not the one getting upset about "meta mechs"

SpaceCadetBob posted:

It's you. You're the pubbie.

:frogout:

1v1 me kid

Lemming posted:

I hope a serial killer is reading this thread and brutally murders everyone who has posted in it.

Please don't make posts about my exact fetish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

teepo posted:

sorry, i was out of line.

before having seen those stats, i once thought of myself as the greatest living light pilot who is currently seeking a competitive group but alas, i am just a goon :(

I'm glad someone saw that post, originally it was going to literally just be weird masturbatory injokes for the benefit of KDR, but then I hosed with it a ton and it became less good(although it did get me called racist in the first response), and then I restarted my computer and lost the tab and couldn't find it anymore. It's all incredibly sad

• Locked thread