Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
You know the song, it speaks to you just as it speaks to me. We know that refrain in our hearts like a ventricle. “Someone left a cake out in the rain/ I don't think that I can take it/ 'cause it took so long to bake it/And I'll never have that recipe agaaaiiiinnn/ohhhh noooooo”

now, this might come as a shock to some of you, but richard harris wasn't literally talking about leaving confectionary goods out in inclement weather. Like all great songwriters, he was using techniques such as “metaphor” to express deeper meanings. And that meaning might shock you.

Think back to the title: macarthur park? Or douglass macarthur park?? clearly focusing the song on military issues, but about which issues does he speak?

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/12/the-graywashing-of-cia-torture/383633/

That's correct. What was the cake? It was the CIA, who dutifully just followed orders given to them to make the world safe for democracy (?).

And the rain? What else but the media firestorm alighted by the disclosing of issues that really should have been as hints and whispers that everybody already knew about anyway.

And that somebody? Who could that somebody be, someone so influential that his name could be left unspoken. That's right.

None else but Mr. President. Barack Obama. He left the CIA out in the rain, that CIA that “took so long to bake (close to a century)”, and that recipe we'll never have again? Take a guess.

That's right. Through Obama's (not MY president) criminal acts, we have lost the recipe for democracy (or republic w/e).

Who will heed the lessons of Harris in this hour so late?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
I recall the time they found those fossilized mosquitoes
And before long, they were cloning DNA

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
oh and before anyone mentions that this song is like a million years old and not relevant to current issues, remember

richard harris is a wizard and has access to that time travel thing they had in one of the books and then never mentioned again

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
its so hosed up that the one time he left the cake out in the rain it was the one who where hed never have that recipe again. after hearing that song ive always double checked that my own cakes were not exposed to the elements

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Kyoon? Is that you buddy?

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Zeroisanumber posted:

Kyoon? Is that you buddy?

hell no buddy i'm my own man, just a concerned citizen postin on the web

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
are u the real dr j

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

are u the real dr j

nah the only balls i dunk are in the club (i'm gay)

• Locked thread