Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My wife is a photographer who used to shoot events and weddings a number of years ago while working for the local newspaper. She has a degree in photojournalism and absolutely loves shooting, and is really drat good at it. Eventually though, with moving and work taking over her life, she fell out of it, much to her dismay. Well, recently she has had a job change that has freed up a lot of spare time and energy, and is trying to get back into the swing of things, bought a website, started dragging out old equipment, etc.

My question is what does she need to really have the equipment and tools necessary to get on the horse again? I really want to support her in this and help her get what she needs, since she tends to have minor panic attacks when spending money on herself. She did fine with her limited tools before, but that was pretty amateur stuff right out of (or in) college. Right now she has a nikon D70s with the basic lens, a photo enlarger rig, and some other stuff for alternative process work (developing pictures onto/with other materials, such as wood printing). I have already ordered her a set of lights and stands with the umbrellas, and am getting her a new camera for Christmas since the old one is starting to show its age. What else would she really need to get moving? I assume extra batteries, more memory, and more varied lenses like wide angles and stuff.

Just looking for some insight from photogoons. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=247

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I wish there was a newbie FAQ in the dorkroom, it's pretty impenetrable for someone just starting out.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

the black husserl posted:

I wish there was a newbie FAQ in the dorkroom, it's pretty impenetrable for someone just starting out.

I'm not just starting out, I was just asking for any professional photographers to give me their personal insight. She is experienced, but under equipped. I poked around the dorkroom and got the info I needed though. Mods can close this.

• Locked thread