Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
anya's ghost is one of like a dozen pretty similar coming-of-age stories published by first second in the last eight years or so

i think it's fine, i wished it was a bit longer by the time i finished cuz i liked it. "koko be good" by jen wang is similar but better imo. both are better than "american born chinese" which won some awards i think. of course paul pope's "battling boy" trumps all of them and is fuckin kickass, but suffers from being the first part of a series and also shrunk down to the same size of the others which does a disservice to the art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Dennis System posted:

When the "Incredible Hulk" gets angry and suddenly gains like 300 pounds of body mass, where the gently caress does the material that makes up that body mass come from?

from the own zone

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol, "wang"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PixieDreamGirl posted:

Yes I read books okay? But I don't have a developed buzz kill opinion like Beef Turret. He thinks everything is poo poo, so he must be fun at parties.

usually when people mock you its not for what you said but how you said it. sincerely hope this helps

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

also someone bought the big fantagraphics usagi yojimbo collection i picked up for $55 a couple years ago on amazon this morning for like $250. i love comics

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
I like graphic novels as a concept. They're to comics what modern TV series are to the old TV where nothing changed between episodes and what was basically an ad-feeding platform. Superhero series and manga that run for a zillion arcs don't make graphic novels though, even packaged into book form. Basically the difference is that graphic novels have a well-defined beginning and end, much like modern TV does even if it has to span several seasons.

Graphic novels are worse though because there's a lot of skill+sweat required, little competition/prestige and not that much money in it so skill goes elsewhere. Comic artists only seem to be respected (outside fandoms) in Japan and parts of Europe. Elsewhere the group of people that wants to become comic artists isn't unlike the group of people who want to make videogames. Maybe cinema just killed comics before they had a chance to evolve past children's/YA lit.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

uncop posted:

I like graphic novels as a concept. They're to comics what modern TV series are to the old TV where nothing changed between episodes and what was basically an ad-feeding platform. Superhero series and manga that run for a zillion arcs don't make graphic novels though, even packaged into book form. Basically the difference is that graphic novels have a well-defined beginning and end, much like modern TV does even if it has to span several seasons.

Graphic novels are worse though because there's a lot of skill+sweat required, little competition/prestige and not that much money in it so skill goes elsewhere. Comic artists only seem to be respected (outside fandoms) in Japan and parts of Europe. Elsewhere the group of people that wants to become comic artists isn't unlike the group of people who want to make videogames. Maybe cinema just killed comics before they had a chance to evolve past children's/YA lit.

i dont think this is a very good analogy, a better one would be miniseries and/or tv movies.

also i dont think comic artists are actually known or respected by normal non-nerds in japan and europe either

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

uncop posted:

Maybe cinema just killed comics before they had a chance to evolve past children's/YA lit.

nah it was the Comics Code. basically the US had a massive poo poo-fit about comics "corrupting the youth" or whatever and neutered them to be only kids friendly poo poo. there used to be all sorts of horror comics, western comics, whatever.

don't get me wrong, most of it was still poo poo but it was a wide variety of poo poo aimed at a wider demographic

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

nah it was the Comics Code. basically the US had a massive poo poo-fit about comics "corrupting the youth" or whatever and neutered them to be only kids friendly poo poo. there used to be all sorts of horror comics, western comics, whatever.

don't get me wrong, most of it was still poo poo but it was a wide variety of poo poo aimed at a wider demographic

also tv played a big part, too. non-kids comics are more common in poorer/smaller countries that cant support more expensive forms of native media. same reason animation was bigger in japan in the 70s and 80s - live-action tv is more expensive but now they can afford it so animation's been mostly abandoned to the budget ghetto markets of children and weirdo nerds, just like animation in the us

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

sharts posted:

anya's ghost is one of like a dozen pretty similar coming-of-age stories published by first second in the last eight years or so

i think it's fine, i wished it was a bit longer by the time i finished cuz i liked it. "koko be good" by jen wang is similar but better imo. both are better than "american born chinese" which won some awards i think. of course paul pope's "battling boy" trumps all of them and is fuckin kickass, but suffers from being the first part of a series and also shrunk down to the same size of the others which does a disservice to the art

battling boy is cool

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Graphic novels or even comics can be pretty good reads and it's kinda weird imo people develop such strong opinions about them being for kids. Obviously you shouldn't expect them to be as intellectually stimulating as great literature but realistically the writing quality and depth of story can easily be better than most modern book series that get popular. No one called their coworkers a womanchild for reading 50 shades of grey as middle aged women.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

Graphic novels or even comics can be pretty good reads and it's kinda weird imo people develop such strong opinions about them being for kids. Obviously you shouldn't expect them to be as intellectually stimulating as great literature but realistically the writing quality and depth of story can easily be better than most modern book series that get popular. No one called their coworkers a womanchild for reading 50 shades of grey as middle aged women.

i think they were called retarded though

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

its because for a long time they were for kids due to comics code shenanigans

it's a storytelling medium like any other, so it has advantages and disadvantages. main advantages are that it's done by a small number of people so you can get a more focused artistic vision and it's less cost limited than other visual mediums - you can have whatever sets of effects or cast you want, but it still has the visual potency/immediacy that is missing from prose

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I read the watchmen and it wasn't as corny and stupid as I thought it would be, but it's still kinda corny and stupid.

I can't take comics seriously when every fifth word is bolded for emphasis. when I read the bolded words, the voice in my head sounds like a dude straining to hold in diarrhea. This is a big problem with comics

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Mange Mite posted:

i think they were called retarded though
I guess what I'm trying to get at is most super popular media things are popular because they're accessible. Even when the themes are "mature" it's basically just tacking sex/drugs/murder ontop of young adult level writing. This goes for television, movies, and music too. It's just strange to me that comics of all things specifically get called out as "you must be a kid for liking them" when pretty much all pop media is geared towards an audience with a high school understanding of storytelling.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

Phoon posted:

battling boy is cool

previous to writing it, pope went to dc editorial with an idea for a new kamandi comic and this happened:

quote:

Asked by Yang if he had tried to do an all-ages book with a franchise character, Pope said he did test the waters, only to be knocked back. "Batman did pretty well, so I sat down with the head of DC Comics. I really wanted to do 'Kamandi [The Last Boy on Earth]', this Jack Kirby character. I had this great pitch and he said 'You think this is gonna be for kids? Stop, stop. We don't publish comics for kids. We publish comics for 45-year olds. If you want to do comics for kids, you can do 'Scooby-Doo.' And I thought, 'I guess we just broke up.'"

so he made battling boy instead

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

i'm not even sure the self proclaimed supercool posters do anything except sit cross-legged and meditate all day like some kind of loving idiot monk inbetween posts, like great job ascending your spirit or whatever if that floats your boat but I'll be over here having fun with liking things in the real world while you do that and maybe for a lark i'll spritz your physical body with water to see if you twitch every so often

that or they're just posing and like things that are just as dumb or worse

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

sharts posted:

previous to writing it, pope went to dc editorial with an idea for a new kamandi comic and this happened:

so he made battling boy instead

dc are terrible they just wait for marvel to do stuff and then desperately try to ape them but completely miss the point

its cool how battling boys main characters are basically a superman analogue and a batman analogue (or maybe a superboy analogue and a robin analogue is more accurate) but he still makes them feel completely original and interesting

E: marvels been on a big kids, and especially girls, push for a year or so, starting with the new ms marvel, but theyve done kid friendly versions of their most popular books for ages and theyre all really high quality because they recognise that kids who read them will eventually graduate to the main lines

Phoon fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 17, 2014

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Lmao if you consume media of any type about 'superheroes' and you are past the age of 8.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

radiatinglines posted:

I read the watchmen and it wasn't as corny and stupid as I thought it would be, but it's still kinda corny and stupid.

I can't take comics seriously when every fifth word is bolded for emphasis. when I read the bolded words, the voice in my head sounds like a dude straining to hold in diarrhea. This is a big problem with comics

This this this.

To be fair I enjoy using the occasional italics but in every graphic novel I've read they seem to emphasise the wrong words. Maybe there's some occult comic book meter I'm not familiar with.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Kilmers Elbow posted:

This this this.

To be fair I enjoy using the occasional italics but in every graphic novel I've read they seem to emphasise the wrong words. Maybe there's some occult comic book meter I'm not familiar with.

i think this was an eighties thing, it really bugs me too but it doesnt feel like it happens as much now. maybe it does and ive just learnt to ignore it

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Seriously if you enjoyed game of thrones you're in no position to make fun of people for enjoying stories with a juvenile level of depth.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Parallax Scroll posted:

probably simpler if we just call them all funnies

i can get behind this

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

MrChupon posted:

Lmao if you consume media of any type about 'superheroes' and you are past the age of 8.

true, superheroes ARE dumb as poo poo vigilante fantasies much of the time. they're the fast food of storytelling: fun once in a while, but some people consume nothing else and become repellent geeks who are extremely opinionated about whether captain america or batman would win in a fight and who loving cares.

i think it's pretty telling the two most popular heroes atm are rich industrialists with a bunch of stupid toys

however, i'll fight anyone who says anything bad about peter milligan's x-force, that poo poo was tight

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

the good superhero books are always the ones about less important characters because they often get big name writers and up and coming artists and they're free to experiment with the medium. see: hawkeye

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

MrChupon posted:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MrChupon posted:

Eh id say up to 12 is ok

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

2014; The year I whored myself out for title changes.

Yo, I don't care what y'all do,how y'all do or where y'all do it, just keep it gangsta and never pay for an av change, have someone else do it- Ya boy Pixie
Does lowtax consume any form of media whatsoever? I'd like to hear his opinion on the matter.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
the funny part is superhero comics arent even made for children anymore even though thats probably who should be reading them, like one time i picked up a batman comic someone left in a cafe and a page in a guy literally stuffed a bomb down another guys throat and he ran around begging for help and then exploded blood everywhere

im not sure if this is the norm now but its weird if so

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
if you read comics there is a 100% chance you have never known the touch of a woman

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Equine Don posted:

if you read comics there is a 100% chance you have never known the touch of a woman

This is a new and original thought.

I actually would insist on pretentious lit-types who said I was into graphic novels to call them comics, but they'd literally stare me down and insist on us calling them "graphic novels." It was dumb.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

the funny part is superhero comics arent even made for children anymore even though thats probably who should be reading them, like one time i picked up a batman comic someone left in a cafe and a page in a guy literally stuffed a bomb down another guys throat and he ran around begging for help and then exploded blood everywhere

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MrChupon posted:

I do like Leni Riefenstahl films

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

NihilismNow posted:

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

i will defend that movie until im dead and gay

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

generative grammer posted:

I do like Leni Riefenstahl films

those are about real heroes

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
Here's my super power hero and its that insane british guy who makes comic books, has long hair, and violently opinionated about things I could never possibly care about

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

im not sure if this is the norm now but its weird if so
That gag really blew up in his face huh?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I like the fact that when they make these into movies they have to change the spandex suits the comic book characters wear and try to make them look edgier. I want to see wolverine run around in yellow tights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
its funny to me that while spandex looks silly its still true to form in that the classic superman tights and weird briefs thing was what circus performers and atheltes wore back then and modern athletes sitll wear brightly colored spandex

• Locked thread