Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
and the duality of sentience, like you're either sentient or you're not, that means at some point in our past some early human ancestor gave birth to the only conscious being on the earth. Man, think about being that thing. Everything else is focused on animal needs while you look up at the stars and wonder what they are. You'd point up to the stars and your family would think you're pointing at food or water or some poo poo. Then, in order to reproduce you'd basically have to gently caress an animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
i think animals are a little sentient but v dumb compared to people op

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I think it is more likely sentience is something of an illusion based upon tics that developed into thought patternsand we are less in control of ourselves than we think, op

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 18, 2014

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

i think animals are a little sentient but v dumb compared to people op

that 2

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

sentience is an evolutionary dead end.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
im having loads of sex with bacteria right now
in touch with my ancestry

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
There's probably a spectrum, but we don't know anything about the psychology of early hominids. So there could be a chance of someone walking around, being the only living thing to wonder what that sun thing is all about.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

im having loads of sex with bacteria right now
in touch with my ancestry

hot

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
drat OP that's pretty thought provoking and gross

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
good thing i don't believe in anything op

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
No one in their right mind unironically believes in evolution op.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
that was yesterday. everyone on the planet including OP is a philosophical zombie and that baby is the chosen one, the only human capable of thinking thoughts.

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!
I'm sure consciousness just showed up in one individual from one day to the other.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
What was the first gay thing? Imagine how he felt, looking at a dick, thinking "i like that" but the other dude wasn't into it. Must've sucked

Gunky Junket
Oct 30, 2014

by Ralp
"The vagina will one day evolve to have toes hanging off it and I'll have been right all along." - said teary-eyed Franco 

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

People gently caress animals everyday OP it's nothing to get excited about

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

goattrails posted:

I'm sure consciousness just showed up in one individual from one day to the other.

i'm sure of this too. completely sure of it

simple
Apr 11, 2007

Prawned posted:

People gently caress animals everyday OP it's nothing to get excited about

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

This is broadly the same argument creationists make when attempting to disprove the common ancestry between humans and our non-human ancestors.

At some point in the past, they argue, there must have been an ape that gave birth to a human. But then that human would have had nothing to reproduce with so we can't have come from no monkeys.

Check out our father Richard Dawkins' 'Discontinuous Mind' essay. He explains it well.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I BELIEVE IN NOTHING LEBOWSKI!!!! NOTHING!!!!!!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

OP is just trying to justify loving animals. "look my sentient ancestor did it too"

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
this hypothetical person the op is talking about is one hosed up individual imo, and their deviant activities indirectly led to every bad thing ppl ever did

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
If you beleive in anything you;'re bad

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

this hypothetical person the op is talking about is one hosed up individual imo, and their deviant activities indirectly led to every bad thing ppl ever did

"no one will no" he thought, looking over his shoulder nervously as he slid his dick into a knothole in a tree trunk. And thus, religion was born.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

MegaGatts posted:

Then, in order to reproduce you'd basically have to gently caress an animal.

And it would be thousands of years before an internet existed to find forums to justify this behavior on, to.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

i think OPs are a little sentient but v dumb compared to people

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
Our ancestors were tripping on shrooms when they came up with the idea of conciouness. This one dude ate a shroom like, "what up, I'm hungry" and then he was tripping balls and saw squares and triangles and poo poo.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I thought sentience was just the ability to feel and experience things subjectively. Tons of animals besides humans are definitely sentient by this definition. But I think consciousness is a spectrum and isn't an on/off, all or nothing type deal.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My dog sometimes looks up at the stars, then he licks his weiner and tries to roll in birdshit. I think he knows what's up.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i believe in love after love

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

MegaGatts posted:

and the duality of sentience, like you're either sentient or you're not, that means at some point in our past some early human ancestor gave birth to the only conscious being on the earth. Man, think about being that thing. Everything else is focused on animal needs while you look up at the stars and wonder what they are. You'd point up to the stars and your family would think you're pointing at food or water or some poo poo. Then, in order to reproduce you'd basically have to gently caress an animal.

its too bad that thing didnt die imo, some big retard should have caved his head in with a rock and we'd all be happier

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
neophytes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panpsychism

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

holy poo poo did you just harmonize science and religion

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

MegaGatts posted:

As with every matter truly worth discussing, there is a GWAR song about this very matter. It's very tasteful and stuff.

You're welcome!

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I believe we came from apes. But God made the apes.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
THerre were animals, and then God made man from the clay and breathed life into him. THat's how it happened, not a monkey getting slowly smrter.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
God invented physics and all that other poo poo, actually. He put the systems in place and then just sat back and watched everything play out.

The universe is basically a massive Rube Goldberg machine.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MegaGatts posted:

Then, in order to reproduce you'd basically have to gently caress an animal.

So the first human was a rapist? Hold on I need to contact my SJW group about this.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I believe we came from apes. But God made the apes.

godly apes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

The apes of god.

• Locked thread