Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

http://www.salon.com/2014/12/17/listen_when_i_talk_to_you%E2%80%9D_how_white_entitlement_marred_my_trip_to_a_ferguson_teach_in/

A black, fat-arsed writer for Salon is on a crowded train and is occupying two seats with her fat arse and all her stuff. Because she's listening to music she doesn't notice somebody asking her to move her poo poo off the seat.

Cue a horrifying scene straight out of 12 Years a Slave.....

quote:

I suddenly saw a white hand shoving my work carry-on toward me. Startled, I looked up to see the hand belonged to a white guy

Oh no, a white hand! A white hand attached to a white man touched her stuff!

quote:

His reply: “Well, you should listen when I talk to you.” That line there, the command that when he, whoever he was, spoke, I should automatically listen encapsulates the breadth of the battle against racism we have to fight in this country.

Here we go....

quote:

Buoyed by his own entitlement, his own sense of white male somebodiness, this passenger never even considered that he might simply try harder to get my attention before putting his hands on my stuff. His own need to control space, his own sense of entitlement to move anything in his way even if it held something of value to another person, his belief that he had the right to do whatever he needed to do to make the environment conform to his will are all hallmarks of white privilege.

Just count those buzzwords!

quote:

To have a white man in 2014 demand that I listen when he speaks is the height of racial disrespect and indignity. To have a white person shove my belongings to the side rather than simply get my attention and ask my permission is an unnecessary level of disrespect, one that conveys yet again that their needs matter more than my own.

Christ almighty, remind me again who's poo poo it was taking up the only seat on th.....

quote:

I do not exist to make white people comfortable. The fact that I know that and act like it makes white people even more uncomfortable.

Look, if he had tapped you on the shoulder you would have screamed "White devil violated my personal space!!!". If he had waived his hand in front of your eyes it would have been "White man thinks I'm retarded or something, why couldn't he tap me on the shoulder, huh?!!".

gently caress off Brittany Cooper you perpetual victim.

Ahhhh.....that's better! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunky Junket
Oct 30, 2014

by Ralp

quote:

I do not exist to make white people comfortable. The fact that I know that and act like it makes white people even more uncomfortable.

No. The fact that you act like a giant retarded baby is what makes white people feel uncomfortable.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
AUAUAAUAUAUUGUGUGUGGUGUGHGHGHGHGHGH

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
http://www.brittneycooper.com/

Brittney Cooper
Next Generation Black Intellectual

just so we have the full story.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

As an introvert I understand where this lady is coming from. Sometimes a normal person will step on my bubble and then they get really upset when I start to screech and flail. :rolleyes:

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
http://www.salon.com/writer/brittney_cooper/

there seems to be a common theme to her articles

Poz Party Pooper
Feb 16, 2014

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
"My life as a victim; personal responsibility is for suckers (and the rich gently caress them!)"

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I tried to read most of that. But, then I realized what im doing.

I am gonna go back to eating my 13 bean soup.

Its a much better use of my time.

:colbert:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Truly nightmarish, in the year 2014.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I bet she's a riot at parties.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
a new yorker being rude? woah time to write an article about it

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
This article is definitive proof that racism is made up, I'm forwarding it to Glenn Beck so he can get the word out

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Lady your skin color doesn't make me uncomfortable. What makes me uncomfortable is knowing that you could break my spine with one butt cheek.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
what is a teach-in

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Digiwizzard posted:

what is a teach-in

when yall get talked at bout black folks

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lol no mercy

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This woman and Lindy West should take a plane ride together.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I don't care if you're black, white or green - if you take up two seats on a crowded NYC subway train during rush hour with your stuff, then you deserve to get knocked the gently caress out never mind "spoken too rudely to". Ugh. People like that are scum.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Put fat people into forced labor camps

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i bet that heteronormative cis white male got a whole lot of sass for his trouble mhmmmmm

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I am a respected thinker in race relations. I have many degrees and a public platform on a popular website. What is the best use for this force for change that I hold? Winning fights against random strangers who can't respond or even know they're being targeted I guess

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

No surprise to see the racists coming out of the woodwork to attack more trenchant social insight from @professorcrunk

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

I bet you she's used the word 'microaggressions' unironically.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

GEORGE IS GETTING UPSET

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

The writer sits her back in the empty seat next to her, puts her headphones in and turns on music, stares out the window, and doesn't look around her to see if anyone needs the empty seat when the train stops to let passengers on. Yep, classic passive aggressive public transportation behavior. The best way to deal with it, in my opinion, is to be assertive like this man was. Maybe he should have tapped her on the shoulder, but that would require him to touch her instead of touching her bag, which didn't belong in the empty seat anyway.

It's also typical for the passive aggressive person to get all indignant over the fact that someone called their bluff and took the seat they wanted for their bag. But most people don't write asinine polemics about it.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Kilmers Elbow posted:

http://www.salon.com/2014/12/17/listen_when_i_talk_to_you%E2%80%9D_how_white_entitlement_marred_my_trip_to_a_ferguson_teach_in/
Look, if he had tapped you on the shoulder you would have screamed "White devil violated my personal space!!!". If he had waived his hand in front of your eyes it would have been "White man thinks I'm retarded or something, why couldn't he tap me on the shoulder, huh?!!".

That was exactly what I thought when I read this today. So you were taking up two seats and had your headphones on such that someone's oral attempts to get your attention didn't work, and they had to resort to a second option? Oh gently caress, what a racist. You're like, the next Rosa Parks by taking up two seats.

This isn't a racial thing, its an inconsiderate fuckwit who doesn't know public transit etiquette and is trying to make her wrongdoing into someone else's problem.

What a jerkface.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Lol at using a child's death as a way to get a free seat on the train.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

it's pretty racist to imply that white people are impolite and inconsiderate of others. like we have no empathy and no soul and are only a bunch of psychopath to be locked away. i had zero poo poo to do with columbus and the trail of tears, and it's insulting to claim that it would be a better world without white people

if you are interested, read more at my twitters at #NOTALLWHITEPEOPLE

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

the problem is with THE SYSTEM

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

waitwhatno posted:

it's pretty racist to imply that white people are impolite and inconsiderate of others. like we have no empathy and no soul and are only a bunch of psychopath to be locked away. i had zero poo poo to do with columbus and the trail of tears, and it's insulting to claim that it would be a better world without white people

if you are interested, read more at my twitters at #NOTALLWHITEPEOPLE

spoken like a true racist

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
The only thing the SJW ideology does is give them a license to be rude to strangers

oh and also the comedy

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf

quote:

Some will argue that I cannot generalize ideas about white entitlement from the action of one jerk on the train. After all, people get into petty squabbles on the train all the time. Let us not forget, however, that the civil rights movement was catalyzed by a squabble over a seat on a bus.

:captainpop:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

loving lol this was in NYC too

"I spaced out and failed to follow basic social courtesy, causing an inconvenience for a native of a city legendary for its lack of fucks given, GET YOUR WHITE HANDS OFF MY BLACKNESS"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

spoken like a true racist

it's a sign of the dysfunctional race relations in this countries that just about anybody can log in on an online forum and accuses white people of being racists, without having the slightest evidence that I consider the negro man an inferior being

why would you insult some like that, out of nowhere?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ahahaha loving jesus christ

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I had about a paragraph written in the comments section of that article before I stopped and looked at my hands in horror and closed the tab

WHAT AM I BECOMING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I had about a paragraph written in the comments section of that article before I stopped and looked at my hands in horror and closed the tab

WHAT AM I BECOMING

THE DISEASE IS INSIDE YOU

• Locked thread