Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Part of the Fermi paradox: either we will grow outward and explore solar systems, or say gently caress it and create a virtual reality.

quote:

Another possibility is that technological civilizations invariably experience a technological singularity and attain a posthuman (or more properly, post-biological) character. Beings that divest themselves of physical form, create massive artificial virtual environments, transfer themselves into these environments through mind uploading, and exist totally within virtual worlds, ignoring the external physical universe.

Recently: researchers demonstrated noninvasive brain-to-brain communication using binary and an interface to translate the signals and send them over the Internet to the receiver, who had the information beamed into his brain.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0105225

One said "hola" and the other said "ciao" over thousands of miles with no verbal or bodily input aside from "thinking of up and down"

If our brains are wired just differently enough, we could never read each other's minds because the information would be too different. Like giving vision to someone who was born blind. It would be nonsense to their brain.

Using an interface to translate the signals to be readable by anyone though, that's a key thing.

Sufficiently developed technology... In the future could create perfect virtual reality worlds, where augmenting your physical body would be unnecessary and when you died, you could have your virtual self uploaded to the reality we created and live forever in your own personal heaven. This is similar to the singularity faith based idea that we will be saved by a robot in the future. I think the biggest thing is that scientific faith / research is something that a person can pursue and help bring to fruition while religion based faith is the same thing.

Why explore Europa when we can just create a perfect version of it? If it's impossible to ever travel faster than light, even using space bending warp drives, why bother?

Another guy theorizes that we eventually create our own black hole in order to freeze time in place from our frame of reference and become immortal in that way.

Essentially, there will be a choice within the next 500 years:

Augment the body and create medical/technological immortality using bionic implants and explore the universe with warp drives

Or

Create a virtual matrix and live forever inside of it, mortal or dead, you live on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
we're going to die on this rock. next question

edit: like for real neither of those technoutopian things is going to happen. we're going to choke to death on co2 fumes in the ruins of our once-great cities about 50 years after the last brown people in the 3rd world do the same

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My main goal in life is to build a really nice monument to myself that explains that I wasn't nearly as dumb as all the other fuckers so that one day alien explorers from a much better species can discover it and think "well this guy wasn't so bad".

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Create a virtual matrix and live forever inside of it, mortal or dead, you live on.
ship of theseus is the only way -you have to transition by existing in both worlds at the same time and gradually moving to the virtual otherwise its not you

it would be great to see the first person somehow copied into a purely virtual world for the sake of immortality and watching the look of horror on his face while he watches the new virtual entity experiencing things and sees the medical assistant entering the room with a needle for him so the process will be complete

someone should write this into a short story it sounds like the kind of shallow garbage the singularity crowd would eat up youll probably make a million dollars

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

gary oldmans diary posted:

ship of theseus is the only way -you have to transition by existing in both worlds at the same time and gradually moving to the virtual otherwise its not you

it would be great to see the first person somehow copied into a purely virtual world for the sake of immortality and watching the look of horror on his face while he watches the new virtual entity experiencing things and sees the medical assistant entering the room with a needle for him so the process will be complete

someone should write this into a short story it sounds like the kind of shallow garbage the singularity crowd would eat up youll probably make a million dollars

Yes I meant to imply it would have to be a ship of Theseus method. Same for making an immortal brain. We'd have to replace one neuron with an immortal version for one at a time.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
professor shark im looking in your direction

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I mean that's what your actual body does

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

professor shark im looking in your direction

Yeah dude gently caress futile attempts at immortality it's all about who looks good when the Vulcan's show up. I'm going to lie out my rear end, saying that I tried to stop Climate Change and Nuclear Aggression but that my attempts were met with scorn and ridicule so I submitted myself to a life of solitude on some distant coast, forsaking humanity.

I'm almost positive that aliens would be down with that poo poo, just gotta collect enough iron or something.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Yes I meant to imply it would have to be a ship of Theseus method. Same for making an immortal brain. We'd have to replace one neuron with an immortal version for one at a time.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
humanity as a whole hasn't advanced at all. anyone who thinks that cybernetics or whatever is going to create a galaxy or matrix full of immortal poors is retarded

whether or not your wealthy masters expand to the stars or retreat into silicon in 1000 years, your children will be there to feed the machines and their bodies will be recycled when they die

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah dude gently caress futile attempts at immortality it's all about who looks good when the Vulcan's show up. I'm going to lie out my rear end, saying that I tried to stop Climate Change and Nuclear Aggression but that my attempts were met with scorn and ridicule so I submitted myself to a life of solitude on some distant coast, forsaking humanity.

I'm almost positive that aliens would be down with that poo poo, just gotta collect enough iron or something.
nah i meant write that story do it

but iron no way i doubt theres anything specific materially worth the trip to earth outside of the sheer quantity in a fortunately placed orbit around a star for any species that likes water

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If we ever do achieve immortality can you imagine all the shitheads we'd have as immortals and all the great people that we wouldn't?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Novo posted:

humanity as a whole hasn't advanced at all. anyone who thinks that cybernetics or whatever is going to create a galaxy or matrix full of immortal poors is retarded

whether or not your wealthy masters expand to the stars or retreat into silicon in 1000 years, your children will be there to feed the machines and their bodies will be recycled when they die

eat the rich while there's meat on their bones or learn to draw sustenance from the cables powering their cybernetic sky-paradise

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

End Of Worlds posted:

we're going to die on this rock. next question

edit: like for real neither of those technoutopian things is going to happen. we're going to choke to death on co2 fumes in the ruins of our once-great cities about 50 years after the last brown people in the 3rd world do the same

There's not enough carbon in known fossil fuel deposits to raise the atmospheric concentration high enough to "choke" on.

Climate change is problems in the parts-per-million range. Oxygen, on the other hand is several parts per ten.

Also, "once great cities".

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

ikanreed posted:

There's not enough carbon in known fossil fuel deposits to raise the atmospheric concentration high enough to "choke" on.

Climate change is problems in the parts-per-million range. Oxygen, on the other hand is several parts per ten.

Also, "once great cities".

paging dr. pedant, dr. literal pedant to the thread

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
We're actually all already there op. Existence is a near perfect simulation of reality. The difference is we're all criminals and our crimes were so grand we've been sentenced into the most terrible reality our brains can comprehend.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
darth vader tried to conquer outer space
but yoda explored inner space

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

MegaGatts posted:

We're actually all already there op. Existence is a near perfect simulation of reality. The difference is we're all criminals and our crimes were so grand we've been sentenced into the most terrible reality our brains can comprehend.

Is this a movie? If not it should be

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Novo posted:

Is this a movie? If not it should be

IDK, but the idea of something like a big matrix of computers linked together creating a reality for the unaware sounds good. Keeping them all trapped in a dark city of vice and malaise.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Clipperton posted:

darth vader tried to conquer outer space
but yoda explored inner space

That was Dennis Quaid not Yoda.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

End Of Worlds posted:

paging dr. pedant, dr. literal pedant to the thread

lol you make a bitch post that's proven wrong and then you make another bitch post to try and recover

bitch

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
whichever one you dislike and think would suck more, is the one that's going to happen

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
Being concerned with 'humanity' and not just yourself is one of the silliest things you can do.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

the technological singularity has already occurred and we are all trapped inside it and it is tumblr dot com, goodbye stars

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
what kind of noob divests themselves of physical form

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

MegaGatts posted:

IDK, but the idea of something like a big matrix of computers linked together creating a reality for the unaware sounds good. Keeping them all trapped in a dark city of vice and malaise.

I meant a good movie

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Novo posted:

I meant a good movie

Dark city owned, but it wasn't with computers so i guess it doesn't count.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
We're just gonna pump the universe for a bit until we cum, and then roll off it and take a nap.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Soiled Meat

MegaGatts posted:

Dark city owned, but it wasn't with computers so i guess it doesn't count.

The Thirteenth Floor sucked tho

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Novo posted:

The Thirteenth Floor sucked tho

yeah. the twist was really stupid.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
the metaphorical boner of humanity will extend to the furthest reaches of the galaxy imho

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

we need to go to space so we can find hot alien chicks imo

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Feranon posted:

we need to go to space so we can find hot alien chicks imo

and gently caress them

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

I thought that was implied but yes thank you for spelling it out

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

God, can you just imagine. A hot alien babe with her gaping mucus oozing pseudopods all over her back as she scurries about on her six legs. Her face a collection of light collecting disks of silicone, suddenly you mount her. She makes the mating call of her race in an octave unhearable to man. Then after your finish she engulfs you in her external amniotic sack so you can feed your mixed species babies. :flashfap:

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
You never know with hot alien chicks.
Maybe they just wanted to borrow the use of a printer you happened to carry to their home planet in the hopes of a hug.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

MegaGatts posted:

God, can you just imagine. A hot alien babe with her gaping mucus oozing pseudopods all over her back as she scurries about on her six legs. Her face a collection of light collecting disks of silicone, suddenly you mount her. She makes the mating call of her race in an octave unhearable to man. Then after your finish she engulfs you in her external amniotic sack so you can feed your mixed species babies. :flashfap:

kinky :q:

Negative_Kittens
Apr 8, 2008

[ASK] me about multiple personality disorders
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permutation_City

Here's your inward scenario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fire_Upon_the_Deep
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Deepness_in_the_Sky

And here's your outward scenario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road

And here's the more likely "world is ending" scenario.

Honestly, it's really a toss up. At least in Star Trek they thought we'd be doing both simulating and hot alien chicks at the same time.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

This is basically the plot to the Otherland series. It's pretty hilarious when all these super smart oligarchs realize that their awesome immortality plan was vague on the most important point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't see why the two are mutually exclusive. I mean it takes a long time to get to other planets we'll want some vr action along the way.

• Locked thread