Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

"You know, I've been dating around but I just haven't found a girl that I connect with. I know that I'm part of the issue, I'm wary and sometimes difficult, but I've always been just so disappointed every time I've really gotten close to someone that it's made me gun-shy about getting deeply involved with anyone. Add to that my crazy work hours and my shallow, looks-based hurdles that I put in front of every woman that I date, and I really limit my pool."

Wow. Yeah... that's pretty much me.

Honestly, they'd see me with more "girlfriends" if I was an rear end in a top hat and led girls on, but I'm 33 now and have no intention of dragging out a relationship to several months or a year just so I give off the illusion of "settling down." Quite frankly I find that poo poo childish. If I know there's no future, I'd rather kill the thread rather than lead someone on.

Doesn't help that every family get together results in "soooooo... when is it your turn?"

WHEN YOU INTRODUCE ME TO A CUTE GIRL WITH LIMITED PSYCHOLOGICAL DAMAGE, AUNT NOSEYBITCH!#&!#

:(

I've had a wedding, an engagement party, a cousin's daughter's first birthday, and of course Thanksgiving all occur in the last 3 months alone. I'm a little burnt out from the topic coming up. EVERY. drat. TIME.

Best part was I was in a relationship with a girl for 4 years that ended around May of 2013. Naturally that meant by July 2013 the questions began. Let a brotha move on, you insensitive pricks. :( (I've moved on for quite a while but found it a little hosed up that a 4 year relationship with us living together ends and the immediate question is, "WHEN YOU GETTING MARRIED?")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Gunky Junket posted:

If I was a 12.5 years Goon veteran, I reckon I'd be slipping forum references into everyday situations too. :D

A more appropriate term in that case would have been "SEVER" :eng101:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

ArbitraryC posted:

I wonder what the stat differences on people staying single longer are? It seems like in a society where both genders are pretty career/future oriented a lot less people are marrying their high school and college sweethearts because moving around for schools and work just pulls everyone apart. In 2014 moving to a new city with you boyfriend/girlfriend who got a job is kind of unfeasible unless they're pulling in a ton of money and completely willing to support you financially.

It's weird though because even though it seems like not settling down is super common it's still kind of a negative thing, like if you make it to your 30s and aren't married you will get poo poo for it.

To be fair, you tend to get poo poo for it from older generation family members or people who were the exact opposite of the demographic you described. People who DID marry their high school or college sweethearts, settled in or next to the hometown they grow up in, and have no intention to ever leave. If their current job doesn't fire them or shut down for 20 years, they will never so much as update their resumes to "test the market." Those people will probably join the club of "WHEN U GETTING MARRIED? :haw:" Beyond that, it'll be your 55-75 year old relatives who would don't get it since the only people over 30 or 35 who weren't married when they were that age were "hussies" and "bachelors" and "sonny, you ain't no titan of industry."

gently caress YOU GRANDMA

(all my grandparents are dead so whatever)

• Locked thread