Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

death of the author death of the author death of the author death of the author

the author is dead

please let me justify thinking Chinatown is an okay movie even though its creepy overtones probably come directly from Polanski

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Sarah Michelle Geller.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i like scary movies. if u do too, you should watch as above, so below, and the taking of Deborah logan, they are both scary and new

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
CineD and posters like SMG are so terrible that there are probably movie subreddits that are less awful

look guys sometimes I just like to enjoy movies and not read someone writing 20 pages about the neo-marxist symbolism in baby geniuses 2 that he imagined

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery
Talking about movies is serious business yo

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I would much rather read an SMG post than a CelticPredator or Baron Bifford post.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

CineD and posters like SMG are so terrible that there are probably movie subreddits that are less awful

look guys sometimes I just like to enjoy movies and not read someone writing 20 pages about the neo-marxist symbolism in baby geniuses 2 that he imagined

SMG is really good, actually, and the perfect fit for a forum that is 95% about grown adults discussing movies with their own dedicated toy line

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
smg is a fart

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If you have not read the original script for terminator 2 you are completely missing out because you will never fully understand the movie as it was meant to be understood.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I like the threads where he gets into an argument with the guy with exhaustive knowledge of the Aliens extended universe canon, who believes that everything that happens in movies happens for real in-universe physics reasons and never because of metaphors or looking cool

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

You have to be able to let go, and let SMG gently guide your mind through a novel way of interpreting the universe and reality itself, tailor made for the movie or media he's talking about, and you will find nirvana, but before then you w ill be angry, and yoou will be baited into angrily posting in vain against his posting revolution

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Surviving Edged Weapons

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

That guy is extremely normal

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

A Spider Covets posted:

i like scary movies. if u do too, you should watch as above, so below, and the taking of Deborah logan, they are both scary and new

As above... 90% of it was what if a good tomb raider movie was made. 10% of it still kind of sucked. would recommend

TheEldar
Oct 24, 2010

Davincie posted:

coming in to say that superhero movies are trash

I've been forced to watch some of the Spiderman films, Batman Begins, Iron Man, Avengers, etc and they all bored me to tears. I literally sit there starting at the clock, listening to the inane one-liners, the horrendously cliched characters, the awfully written, painfully predictable plotlines...ugh.

Some of my friends love them all too. I don't understand why.

What reaction will I get if I make a thread in CineD entitled 'All Marvel movies are mindless drivel'?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

TheEldar posted:

I've been forced to watch some of the Spiderman films, Batman Begins, Iron Man, Avengers, etc and they all bored me to tears. I literally sit there starting at the clock, listening to the inane one-liners, the horrendously cliched characters, the awfully written, painfully predictable plotlines...ugh.

Some of my friends love them all too. I don't understand why.

What reaction will I get if I make a thread in CineD entitled 'All Marvel movies are mindless drivel'?

Sounds like you belong there

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

"man I dont understand why people have the idea that CineD is snooty and pretentious"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462469

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
How is it that CI, as a whole, is more self-righteous and pedantic than even the worst GBS cooking or fast food or tipping or gamergate or politics threads?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
if everyone knows so much about how to make a good movie how come they all suck

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I like the threads where he gets into an argument with the guy with exhaustive knowledge of the Aliens extended universe canon, who believes that everything that happens in movies happens for real in-universe physics reasons and never because of metaphors or looking cool

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
peopel hate SMG because he makes them actually think about the terrible movies they watch, and it inevitably ruins them

he's the serpent tempting eve with teh fruit of ultimate knowledge.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Well its definitely fruity

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

it's not even that smg has uh... unique opinions, its that he gets condescending when you don't agree and treats his analysis as objective fact and starts to make assumptions about people who don't agree with him

putting him and other poo poo posters like cnut the great doesn't work because there will be about 100 people who will argue with them in each thread eventually turning every thread into a big pile of poo poo so it's best to just avoid CD entirely

on the flip side the star trek thread in tviv is pretty chill most of the time now that tviv's pedophile overlord has been banished

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

peopel hate SMG because he makes them actually think about the terrible movies they watch, and it inevitably ruins them

instead of fruit its a lump of poo poo and cined posters viciously tussle over who gets to take a bite

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Universe Master posted:

How good are you at discovering the hidden Marxist subtext in Short Circuit 2?

This isn't really hard, if I remember right he joins a Latino gang, becomes a gold-plated cholobot, then sacrifices himself for white people and becomes an official American citizen?

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
los locos kick your balls into outer space iirc

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Anonymous Robot posted:

This isn't really hard, if I remember right he joins a Latino gang, becomes a gold-plated cholobot, then sacrifices himself for white people and becomes an official American citizen?

this si the plot of the new robot movie Chappie i think

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
cindema discusso should have a ruel that you're only allowed to post straight plot synopses of movies from now on, in order to discourage trolls from ruining threads with their bullshit cinema discussion

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

cindema discusso should have a ruel that you're only allowed to post straight plot synopses of movies from now on, in order to discourage trolls from ruining threads with their bullshit cinema discussion

:agreed:

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

"man I dont understand why people have the idea that CineD is snooty and pretentious"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462469

quote:

jesus loving christ

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

but does he know what a female plane looks like?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

JiveHonky posted:

if everyone knows so much about how to make a good movie how come they all suck

Most movies today are made by masters of the visual arts (badly shot movies like Avengers or Pacific Rim are the exception). We're so used to amazing spectacles that it's become background noise to us----something like Avatar can pass through our collective gaze like a plastic bag in the wind. If movies are our chosen cultural art form, the way frescoes were to the Romans or making penises and vaginas in funny hats out of pewter was to Medieval People, then along with our culture the form has grown stagnant.... with nowhere to go artistically but more excessive, visually rich but thematically shallow. As a meth-marked hobo was saying while he blew and tongued me last night, the current dried-up state of our cinemas reflects a growing impoverishment of American intellectual culture...... gone are the great boyfuckers like Gore Vidal; in his place, the bloated and eternally turgid pundits of 24 hour news fill oru minds with garbage...

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

super mech Godzilla is the biggest poo poo head on the forums

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

also there was a real cool breakdown thread about American psycho that i cant find in the archives but wish i could

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Pirate Jet posted:

At least SMG makes those posts about movies that are actually good

lol no he makes those posts about prometheus and zach snyder superman he's just a longwinded troll or a longwinded guy with bad taste

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
i could easily defeat smg in a stand up fight and am willing to prove it at a moments notice

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

TheEldar posted:

a week off, probably

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You SMG haters reveal yourselves as idiots.

Let go of your hate and embrace Zizek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Cnut the Great posted:

why would i 'think' about a movie if it's going to 'ruin' it

i mean honestly

• Locked thread