Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm no sociologist. I'm not even an educated person. As a layman I have the penchant for thinking about things I have no business thinking about and this is one of those things; All of the things that make your culture unique are soon to be dead. Whatever made you talk the way you do, or eat the food you eat, or any traditions you may possess are over.

It'll take several generations but its inevitable. There is no way an independent derivative accent of a modern English accent could occur again, the constant communication wouldn't allow it.

This is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
#nohomo

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
ive actually seen a documentary about the future, op, and they speak american

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Racism is just a funny form of cultural isolationism. All cultures take comfort in history and conformity and seek to perpetuate their ideals. Hilarious even.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
why dont you go outside op

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Sometimes we have to take a hard look at the issues, and post about them online.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Nah, the world may be small, but it's not that small.

e: sick av^^

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

#sogay#christmasarket#yolo

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tsinava posted:

why dont you go outside op

I do. I hopeIive outside. But you know you used to maybe go camping and someone from idaho would tell you a joke. You ain't never heard that joke before because it was an Idaho joke. Everything was word of mouth which is slow. Slow and particular. Everyone's on Instagram now.

ZergRushing
Oct 1, 2004
yeah, the segnented and fearful individual cultures are cultimating to a central point that will be known in the future as "human culture" or more appropriately "Earth culture". only when we find aliens will we feel special and unique again, this is our new fate

ZergRushing fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 24, 2014

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
RIP awful folk music

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
boring, next!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Modern communication methods might be fast, but theyre still insular..people choose to be insular. A one world race and culture would solve half the worlds problems, but its not gonna happen

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
As an example we never hear of a single fuckin thing that happens in china..cities of 20 million people and no one ever hears from them. People want it that way

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
I dont like my culture. I think Ill make my own.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

mookface posted:

I'm no sociologist. I'm not even an educated person. As a layman I have the penchant for thinking about things I have no business thinking about and this is one of those things; All of the things that make your culture unique are soon to be dead. Whatever made you talk the way you do, or eat the food you eat, or any traditions you may possess are over.

It'll take several generations but its inevitable. There is no way an independent derivative accent of a modern English accent could occur again, the constant communication wouldn't allow it.

This is it

Actually, linguistic studies have proven you wrong. Researches assumed that with the advent of television and mass communication in the 20th century regional accents would disappear.
This hasn't occured. People still acquire their primary language by mimicking the speech of their parents and family, which have local speech patterns.

As long as societies exist there will always be two culture layers that exist simultaneously: the local\popular level, which is practiced mostly by the common masses, and a common international culture, the domain of the elite and the well-travelled. This has existed throughout history, with Sumerian\Assyrian, Hellenistic Greek, Latin, French and now English.
In fact, there was even a period of English history when the English culture was the lower layer, during the early Norman period. In fact, the distinction back then was so accute that most English aristocrats didn't speak English at all. The most famous example of this is King Richard I.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
were just gonna all eat soylent in 100 years from now while we become space miners for the cyber conglomerates

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I don't know...the cultures of countries like China or one of those conservative Muslim countries seem very strange and different to me. I think it's going to be a long, long time before there is one Earth culture. A loooong time.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
im more interested in infantilisation of culture that seems to be happening or maybe i just made up
Like the interests of adults seem to become more and more childish every year, as a general thing.
grown rear end adults watching cartoons and playing bideo games all day.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

You underestimate humanity's ability to discriminate against one another and want their land and culture kept far away from anyone else's.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Oberleutnant posted:

im more interested in infantilisation of culture that seems to be happening or maybe i just made up
Like the interests of adults seem to become more and more childish every year, as a general thing.

I think the infantilization of culture is real. Superheroes, and stuff like Harry Potter, Twilight and The Hunger games dominate popular media.

ZergRushing
Oct 1, 2004

Oberleutnant posted:

in CULTURED europe they play soccer and spend days coming up with ways to stave off gypsies muslims and turks. much more sophisticated.

ZergRushing fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 24, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Dennis System posted:

I don't know...the cultures of countries like China or one of those conservative Muslim countries seem very strange and different to me. I think it's going to be a long, long time before there is one Earth culture. A loooong time.

brown people and slant-eyes are dark and sinister, i'm scared. please make them leave

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

well it used to be you would spend all day drinking and abusing your family/wife, so it seems like a step up to me

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

brown people and slant-eyes are dark and sinister, i'm scared. please make them leave

Physical characteristics aren't culture.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Current whiny liberals refuse to make a distinction between ethnicity and culture so they can continue to feel indignantly right about everything

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The people whining about harry potter and poo poo: people who make media finally realized that children and teen viewers often have a captive adult audience and they want to appeal to them too so their poo poo will be bought watched abd consumed how did you all not notice this happening. There's a reason adults are jacking off to ponies and not so much Wacky Races or whatever old peolle watched for cartoons

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Send everybody back to their home country throughout the western world that doesn't have full citizenship ..remove all green card programs. Raid every house and every alley to do it

Thats how youd be a dictator goddammit

Too bad the US can't close its border..Britain has it so easy comparitively speaking.

I don't mean this at all..there always needs to be a path to citizenship

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
what a cheesy title though, really

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
i literally don't care and it's loving great

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

nah new cultures will form as the old ones dissolve, same as always. the internet is in one way unifying as far as cultures go, but it also lets different kinds of pocket communities form quite easily (sort of like ours :allears:)

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Oberleutnant posted:

it's a psychological coping mechanism response to extreme work and societal stresses; It's what turns people into adult diapered baby fetishists, just on a less extreme level. Reduces them to an infantile state (think curling up in the fetal position in times of anguish). Merry Christmas big gay babies everywhere!

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
In heaven...everything is fine.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

a posting ghost posted:

Current whiny liberals refuse to make a distinction between ethnicity and culture so they can continue to feel indignantly right about everything

i think what you need is a forced conversion to Islam, mister

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

i think what you need is a forced conversion to Islam, mister

In that position id be like sure fine yea mohammed is the one true prophet can i have some water please..they can make me say all kinds of things but they can't make me believe any of it.

Now if something i said would cause me or someone related to me physical harm that would be different, but the trick there is to not know anything that anyone needs to know. Poor guantanamo dudes

And that also made me think about and feel for the innocent civilians that are forced to pick between two sides and end up choosing wrong.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 24, 2014

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
Climb a mountain and wait a few generations. Problem solved, next.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Were all humans anyway who cares

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
good, culture is dumb anyway

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

I think the infantilization of culture is real. Superheroes, and stuff like Harry Potter, Twilight and The Hunger games dominate popular media.

There's a lot of good things about being a child that deserve to be brought into adulthood. But anyway this post is just about the fact that humans like stories with characters where things happen. Nothing about the stories you mentioned is inherently childish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i speak google standard english

• Locked thread