Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Why does Charging Chuck wear a football helmet to play baseball?

I had been playing Super Mario World for 22 years before the ridiculousness of Chuck, a football player, deciding to play baseball, but wearing football gear, struck me as puzzling. But once I started thinking, I wanted an answer! The ignorant might take it to be the fact that the Japanese developers of the game would be ignorant of our American sports and cultures, but actually, the Japanese love baseball! For some reason, Chuck's wearing football gear while playing baseball is more quizzical to me than him wearing a football helmet under water while summoning fishes.

While doing research for this post, I found an "answer" on the Super Mario Wiki

The Super Mario Wiki posted:

Confused Chucks: While they continue to wear football gear, these wacky characters have switched sports and toss baseballs.

Which I think if they are making fun of Chuck for being confused due to what is perhaps a series of blunt-force traumas to the head from playing football, that is rather tasteless.

My own guess is something different. I think Chuck was one of those guys who peaked in high school, maybe catching the game winning touch down at homecoming, and since then wears his football helmet everywhere to protect his fragile ego, unable to cope with the shifting demands of adulthood. I imagine Chuck working as an accountant, and coming to work every day wearing a helmet. The new guy asks about it in a sotto voice by the watercooler, and Carl in HR says "Well, we had questions about it at first, but he threatened to make a disability claim, and you know, he is a drat good accountant. Just don't ask him about that game winning touchdown unless you have 45 minutes to spare. OH HEY Chuck I was just going to ask you about how the DeLancey Account is coming along. Oh, and um, we have the plumbers coming in later and can you try not to antagonize them again by throwing baseballs at them? I almost had to write you up for that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Charging Chuck just really looks up to Bo Jackson, okay? He's a big Tecmo Bowl fan. Don't shame his love.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

It actually kind of makes sense. Baseballs go very fast when hit or thrown at a professional level, so you'd want something guarding your face.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I didn't read that but I'm pretty sure he also kicks footballs op

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Silver Striker posted:

It actually kind of makes sense. Baseballs go very fast when hit or thrown at a professional level, so you'd want something guarding your face.

Your theory kind of falls apart because Chuck is the one DOING the throwing, not being thrown at. Have you even played the game???

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
They're very versatile and are wearing equipment for a variety of sports.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Doctor Goat posted:

They're very versatile and are wearing equipment for a variety of sports.

That is a possibility! Service in the army of King Koopa is the type of activity where you have to be ready for every challenge and every environment!

I should be clear that while I like my explanation, I don't think it is the one truth. It is just my "head"canon.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

glowing-fish posted:

Your theory kind of falls apart because Chuck is the one DOING the throwing, not being thrown at. Have you even played the game???

What if Mario uses his cape to send one back at Chuck? Furthermore, Mario and Yoshi both jump on Chuck's head, so it's only natural he would be wearing protection. A baseball cap is simply inadequate.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Silver Striker posted:

What if Mario uses his cape to send one back at Chuck? Furthermore, Mario and Yoshi both jump on Chuck's head, so it's only natural he would be wearing protection. A baseball cap is simply inadequate.

He is a turtle. Isn't being a turtle like having your whole body be one big football helmet?

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Sorry to get all lorefag in here but I actually know the answer. Charging Chuck was adopted by a gay couple. His father was a big football fan because he liked the way guys' butts looked in football pants and his other father was a big baseball fan because he liked the way guys' butts looked in baseball pants. One night the two dads were on their way home from the opera when a drunk driver drove them off the road and into a gulch. Chuck now wears the accoutrements of both sports as a tribute to their memory. Chuck is also gay.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

glowing-fish posted:

He is a turtle. Isn't being a turtle like having your whole body be one big football helmet?

Your whole body... except your head. So he wears a football helmet.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Charging Cuck

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Jackie D posted:

Charging Cuck

Please leave.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Maybe it was originally a baseball helmet, but it offered inadequate protection against fireballs, so he welded some bars over the front. We don't see the shorter half of the baseball helmet. It just LOOKS like a football helmet.

Then he got it on and was like "You know what? I was made for more than baseball."

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Sorry to get all lorefag in here but I actually know the answer. Charging Chuck was adopted by a gay couple. His father was a big football fan because he liked the way guys' butts looked in football pants and his other father was a big baseball fan because he liked the way guys' butts looked in baseball pants. One night the two dads were on their way home from the opera when a drunk driver drove them off the road and into a gulch. Chuck now wears the accoutrements of both sports as a tribute to their memory. Chuck is also gay.

I hate to think that Mario is a gay basher.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Jackie D posted:

Charging Cuck

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

codenameFANGIO posted:

I didn't read that but I'm pretty sure he also kicks footballs op

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Jackie D posted:

Charging Cuck

lmao

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Jackie D posted:

Charging Cuck

rofl :newlol:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Ever since I got a SNES+SMW bundle somewhere the early nineties I have been asking myself which sport involves digging out chunks of rock with shovels

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

qnqnx posted:

Ever since I got a SNES+SMW bundle somewhere the early nineties I have been asking myself which sport involves digging out chunks of rock with shovels

Curling.

It isn't actually a shovel, its just a badly rendered broom. The rocks are coming towards Chuck perpendicular to the screen, and he is sweeping them towards Mario.

He was actually purposely put in there to increase the game's appeal in Canada. That is the same reason why most Mario games had an "ice" level. Although in Canada, those levels were just called "normal" levels, and the other levels were called "the hot levels".

Many Canadian Children, never having seen the sun, also assume that the way the sun attacks Mario in the desert of SMB 3 is how the sun really behaves.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

loving owned.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

glowing-fish posted:

Holy loving poo poo I never considered they might be Koopas until this. They just look like angry asian guys.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

Curling.

It isn't actually a shovel, its just a badly rendered broom. The rocks are coming towards Chuck perpendicular to the screen, and he is sweeping them towards Mario.

He was actually purposely put in there to increase the game's appeal in Canada. That is the same reason why most Mario games had an "ice" level. Although in Canada, those levels were just called "normal" levels, and the other levels were called "the hot levels".

Many Canadian Children, never having seen the sun, also assume that the way the sun attacks Mario in the desert of SMB 3 is how the sun really behaves.

That explains all the scarred children, they were all canadians.

No whistling chuck from that one forest area underwater level that woke up all those charging fish, 0/10

qnqnx fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 25, 2014

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

codenameFANGIO posted:

loving owned.

If you read my OP, you would see that I did research and yes, that document was one of the documents that I came across in my research and 1. it isn't canon and 2. it leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

No one read your OP and the answer to the thread title is that he is the variant 'Confused Chuck' END OF THREAD

--------------->8-------------------

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

codenameFANGIO posted:

No one read your OP and the answer to the thread title is that he is the variant 'Confused Chuck' END OF THREAD

--------------->8-------------------

As someone else has mentioned, the source for that material isn't even complete: they failed to even mention the Fish-Calling Chuck.

I bring up a valid question, and suddenly by referring to a single, non-canon, incomplete source, you are going to claim that the question is over? I don't think that is the way it works!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i played little league with a kid who's dad made him wear a full face grill to bat. he also made him pitch because he was the coach but the kid was so bad we got mercy ruled out of every game by the 4th inning.

that boy grew up into charging cuck

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i'm laughing my rear end off at the word cuck being posted repeatedly in this thread

Soral
May 30, 2009

the infamous cuck meme

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The holy moly emoticon.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Jackie D posted:

Charging Cuck

Is that why he hates Mario? I mean, Mario is a plumber, the profession most likely to cuckold married men.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

👍Yeah!

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

glowing-fish posted:

Why does Charging Chuck wear a football helmet to play baseball?

I had been playing Super Mario World for 22 years before the ridiculousness of Chuck, a football player, deciding to play baseball, but wearing football gear, struck me as puzzling. But once I started thinking, I wanted an answer! The ignorant might take it to be the fact that the Japanese developers of the game would be ignorant of our American sports and cultures, but actually, the Japanese love baseball! For some reason, Chuck's wearing football gear while playing baseball is more quizzical to me than him wearing a football helmet under water while summoning fishes.

While doing research for this post, I found an "answer" on the Super Mario Wiki

Which I think if they are making fun of Chuck for being confused due to what is perhaps a series of blunt-force traumas to the head from playing football, that is rather tasteless.

My own guess is something different. I think Chuck was one of those guys who peaked in high school, maybe catching the game winning touch down at homecoming, and since then wears his football helmet everywhere to protect his fragile ego, unable to cope with the shifting demands of adulthood. I imagine Chuck working as an accountant, and coming to work every day wearing a helmet. The new guy asks about it in a sotto voice by the watercooler, and Carl in HR says "Well, we had questions about it at first, but he threatened to make a disability claim, and you know, he is a drat good accountant. Just don't ask him about that game winning touchdown unless you have 45 minutes to spare. OH HEY Chuck I was just going to ask you about how the DeLancey Account is coming along. Oh, and um, we have the plumbers coming in later and can you try not to antagonize them again by throwing baseballs at them? I almost had to write you up for that."

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

• Locked thread