Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
Would've been a real short book had ol' Morgoth still been in charge. Hail the real Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
If you're a lovely mortal. If you're like a wizard or a really awesome mortal you get to command vast armies and become a dark lord yourself. Otherwise it just enhances your natural characteristics - ie if Frodo would but lend me the Ring I could overthrow Sauron with the wickedest of farts.

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
Dragons, like all other things, have become much shittier in these latter days, and are thus unsuited for advanced metallurgy

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
Well that and it lets you impose your will on others, particularly orcs and such I think, so you get to have massive armies and set yourself up as the new dark lord. Or if you're a hobbit you get to make massive gardens and be the lord of pipeweed.

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012

Disgusting Coward posted:

Sauron imposed his will on the orcadorks easily cause he's a big flaming-eye motherfucker that's a magician and the King of Mordor and poo poo. Plus, like, zillions of un-ringed dudes have armies, poo poo ain't special in Lordathurangs. Tarragon spends half the series waving his broken sword at dudes and they just fall in line. Gandalf just kinda shows up at places and goes "poo poo is going down" and there's armies and eagles helping him. Hell, Merry and Pippin smoke some weed with a tree and end up with an army of ents.

loving ring does NOTHING, tell ya whut. And Gandalf's a confidence trickster in a hat.

The point is more that if the lord aragon elfstone strider heir of sissyldur of the house of ephebophil of atlantis used the ring he'd get to command the orc armies as well, besides his lovely little human armies which would barely pass for a scouting party in a proper country. They've got barely 3000 guys defending the greatest city of the greatest kingdom in middle earth, boy I'm impressed.

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
I think they had a bunch of civil wars and regular wars and plagues after which they stopped giving a poo poo about keeping the watch on mordor.

e: also he totally wasn't supposed to be a literal flaming eye on top of a tower, ffs peter jackson

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
The Valar are to blame for the whole fiasco anyway, they completely humiliated Angband after the Great War and literally broke the continent, of course the destitute orcs were going to flock to a charismatic tyrant like Sauron. And of course they went almost completely isolationist when it blew up in their angelic faces.

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
What's Obama's place in all this?

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
He's actually the last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship and dignity. So, pretty poor I think.

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

They were ethnic and unholy

To be precise, they were "Easterlings with axes, and Variags of Khand, Southrons in scarlet, and out of Far Harad black men like half-trolls with white eyes and red tongues".

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012

bartlebyshop posted:

So apparently in Two Towers instead of Haldir (blonde dude who gets stabbed) she was supposed to be there leading the elves at Helms Deep. Except she wasn't believable at all as an elf warrior princess.

She still turned up on Glorfindel's white horse:

Also freeze-framing through that scene where they charge down the causeway makes it look like a horrible cartoon :(

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
I can't believe he went through with that marriage when Frodo had been giving him those looks of longing for the entire 3-year runtime of the films.

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
Eagles would loving eat you as soon as let you ride on them, Gandalf could only do it because he was friends with the Beastmaster of Rhosgobel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

no it was the gypsy who had stolen the ring and then accidentally fell in to the volcano

Was literally shoved into the volcano by God himself you mean.

• Locked thread